PDA

View Full Version : Need Rapunzel Costume Help, Please!

Xandergrammy
August 11th, 2012, 05:29 AM
I just found out that the theme for our annual shindig at work on October 13th is a Story Book/Fairy Tale theme! I need to come up with a cheap and easy to make (I don't sew) costume. Any ideas?

Tisiloves
August 11th, 2012, 05:39 AM
Do you have any long dresses/skirts and/or anything with flaired sleeves?

Xandergrammy
August 11th, 2012, 06:35 AM
Do you have any long dresses/skirts and/or anything with flaired sleeves?

I don't, but I have a few friends I can ask. Its at rimes like this that I wish I had learned how to sew.

Dovetail
August 11th, 2012, 06:55 AM
Ok, I know this might be frowned upon.
Most stores refuse returns on costumes right before/after halloween since they know they've been used, and are just being returned to get money back...
But, since your event is before the 31st I figure you could buy a costume, and then just return it to the store the next day (I'd wash it gently by hand cause that's just icky) as long as you don't stain/ruin it.

Other than that, if you're friends have any princessey type outfits that you could use then that would be a great idea too! Remember rapunzel was around long before tangled, so you don't nessicarily need a purple dress. Unless that's the look you really want.

DarleneH
August 11th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Well, how about a general renaissance type of gown? Like this one or any of the others with pictures and links on this page:

http://www.amazon.com/GREEN-DRESS-PEASANT-LAYER-RENAISSANCE/dp/B004JW5AKU/ref=sr_1_74?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1344689569&sr=1-74&keywords=arwen+costume

Depends on how much you want to spend.

trillian
August 11th, 2012, 07:03 AM
For Hair - Get a cheap knit hat - this works better if you can find a hand knit one, but with some determination, you can use machine made. Color is your preference. Using a crochet hook, or needle, depending on the gauge of the hat - add long additional yarn to both sides of the hat. Braid the yarn in either one or two braids depending on your preference.

Of course, now that I typed all that out, I looked at your stats... Use your own hair! :)

For thrown together costumes in your theme - I like woodland fairies - You can just get a slightly tattered skirt / pants, add a vest, in earth tones, a cheapie pair of wings, a bunch of random jewelry, and some leaves - Voila.