PDA

View Full Version : telogen effluvium

gecko52
August 11th, 2012, 04:57 AM
Hey everyone. So I've been shedding way more hair than usual for a while now. I have always shed loads and I don't think I even noticed most of the shed happening! My hair is noticeably thinner to me, though others have said it looks ok still. I now have lots of regrowth sticking up where I part my hair which I was finding encouraging. Mostly it's around 2 inch long. However some of the regrowth falls out sometimes too. I find this very distressing as I worry I'll never grow my hair back and that I'll go bald . I end up in tears most days about it

The shedding appears to have slowed. I don't think I lose more than 100 hairs a day. Probably less actually. Its just the fact that short hairs fall out that frightens me. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it normal to lose regrowth? Will it ever stop? Will others start to notice?

I have fine shiny hair. Apart from the ends which are growing out dye it looks shiny and healthy. I have to wash it every day because it gets greasy otherwise. I have Dandruff come was using head and shoulders until I read that this could cause hair loss. I now use boot sensitive shampoo but this doesn't help with the itching!

Thanks for reading x

kitten1986
August 11th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Hi gecko sorry to hear you are going through a tough time! Just wanted to send you my hugs and best wishes!
I went through this last year and it was so emotionally draining I would cry for hours after washing my hair and every time I had to brush it or do anything with it I was very distressed.
I was also losing regrowth which scared the daylights out of me! I think I lost about 60% of my hairs thickness but because I started with REALLY thick hair most people didn't notice (only close family and friends)
I think it lasted about 3 months for me but it did slow down a bit and I feel as though it is on the mend now. I made myself accept that it was happening and realised that there wasn't anything I could do about it except for keep the hair that I had left in good condition.
I havent really regained THAT much thickness but I see lots of shorter hairs growing in now, the funny thing is that my length has stalled since this happened.

anyway good luck I am sorry you are going through this, try to keep your chin up
x

gecko52
August 12th, 2012, 02:45 AM
Thanks so much for your reply. It's nice to hear from someone who has experienced this. Although I'm very sorry you've had to go through it - I know how distressing it is. It encourages me to hear that people didn't really notice your loss, I'm terrified of ending up bald! And I'm so happy for you that your hair is growing Hawaiian! Do you still lose new growth now, or has that finally stopped too?

Wishing you all the best in your recovery!w

masaur
September 13th, 2012, 07:34 AM
I have also been going through a major shed. After A LOT of online research I believe it is telogen effluvium. I have been to the doctor and had a full blood work done but everything is normal. It has now been 2 months of shedding about 200-275 hairs a day. My hair is thinning at my temples but no one notices but me. I decided to go to a naturopath this week to see if she could help. She thinks that I may have PCOS and some sort of condition where my body doesn't break down estrogen (or something like that I can't fully remember)
She has started me on high levels of B12 and is doing some tests I go back in two weeks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I wish you luck as well. Baby hairs are a great sign (I don't have any yet. YET) Stay strong.