PDA

View Full Version : The New Official Cone Thread

Amber_Maiden
August 11th, 2012, 04:30 AM
Let's talk cones people! :D Our love our hair has for them!

Mods, feel free to delete thread if one already exists. I've searched and have only found an archived one.

juliaxena
August 11th, 2012, 04:36 AM
Yay, a cone thread! I love them! My hair loves them! I am so glad they exist.

lmfbs
August 11th, 2012, 04:37 AM
I have an off/on relationship with cones. I usually do every 3rd or 4th wash with a coney conditioner (I CO wash). I find they help weigh down my babyhairs and make my hair nice and shiny.

long&blonde
August 11th, 2012, 05:19 AM
My hair loves cones, and sulfates.

PriscillaCherel
August 11th, 2012, 05:21 AM
I'm in! :D

Mirsha
August 11th, 2012, 05:48 AM
I adore amodimethicone. As soon as I finish this mountain of product I'm back on the crack. Elvive Nutri Gloss (http://www.lorealparis.com.au/haircare/women/elvive-nutri-gloss.aspx) is my very favourite so far. :D

fridgee
August 11th, 2012, 06:00 AM
I adore amodimethicone. As soon as I finish this mountain of product I'm back on the crack. Elvive Nutri Gloss (http://www.lorealparis.com.au/haircare/women/elvive-nutri-gloss.aspx) is my very favourite so far. :D

This :D but I also love the loreal triple resist, which is very similar to nutrigloss, pantene ice shine and the new version of fructis repair and shine (aka triple nutrition). All non build up silicone, much better than the heavy cones I used before. All cones are not created equal!

Tisiloves
August 11th, 2012, 06:03 AM
Herbal Essenses Hello Hydration is another amodimethicone based conditioner.

I'm just a terrible person who CO washes with dimethicone and clarifys before hennaing.

Zindell
August 11th, 2012, 06:52 AM
I'm a conehead! My hair loves cones. Cones makes it slippery and shiny. :)

coneyisland
August 11th, 2012, 08:28 AM
I'm a conehead! My hair loves cones. Cones makes it slippery and shiny. :)

Same here. :)

nowheregirl
August 11th, 2012, 09:10 AM
cant live without cones :D

jacqueline101
August 11th, 2012, 09:30 AM
I think my products are cone products my hair likes them. I'm happy.

Crybb
August 11th, 2012, 10:07 AM
I used to love frizeez, back when my hair was long about 20 years ago. Has it changed?

ibleedlipstick
August 11th, 2012, 10:54 AM
My hair completely and utterly adores cones. I tried cone free for a month and my hair was miserable! Never again.

cocoahair
August 11th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Without cones my hair takes to long to prepare for school so I gave up on trying to live without them :)

Amber_Maiden
August 11th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Love cones! I realized that I actually liked my hair better before I went natural, and started experimenting with it, and clarifying it. So I went back to using mainstream stuff, and it's awesome again! :D

Humbug454
August 11th, 2012, 01:07 PM
I actually mix my coney conditioner with a light watery cone free one and my hair seems to like it :)

RedheadMistress
August 11th, 2012, 01:10 PM
- My hair looooves cones, tried going without but I just can't . .

I CO was with cones and slather Mineral oil and silicone lube in my hair, it just loves it !

Asprettyasme
August 11th, 2012, 01:13 PM
#error

#An error occurred.

Tisiloves
August 11th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Okay I have heard about "cones" several times but I can't quite figure out what "cones" mean and what it is and what it does for your hair. So can someone please explain it to me? Is it a conditioner? is it silicone (I don't even know what that is)??? what does it do and what is it for? Also,, some people in this community really hate them and dislike them so why do people hate them? and why do people love them? Thank god you posted this because the last question I answered was talking about cones and I really wanted to help her out but I had no clue what to say about the whole cone thing!

Try these for a start:

Demystifying the dimethicone/cone debacle (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=151)
Debunking the silicone myth in haircare (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=185)
To cone or not to cone (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13)

Lady Neeva
August 11th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Cone Junkie here! (Pantene Classic Clean)

PrettyFit
August 11th, 2012, 02:12 PM
My most recent happy cone discovery was that my V05 COwash cleans my hair even when I use cone styling products and conditioners! Best of both worlds!

Asprettyasme
August 11th, 2012, 04:34 PM
#error

#An error occurred.

BrightEyes
August 11th, 2012, 04:39 PM
My hair loves cones. I tried going cone-free for awhile but my hair became very dry, tangly and dull. Now I'm back on cones and my hair is happy again.

Firefly
August 11th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Love cones! I realized that I actually liked my hair better before I went natural, and started experimenting with it, and clarifying it. So I went back to using mainstream stuff, and it's awesome again! :D

This is me, too. I prefer to use natural products for health & beauty in general, but have had to come to terms with the fact that my hair just looks so much better with more conventional products.

As far as cones go, I LOVE amodimethicone!!! Can't get enough of the stuff. Heavier cones don't work for me, but this is the stuff of gods. :D

deltadeliquent
August 12th, 2012, 02:15 PM
I've been a member of LHC since last November. I have tried everything to tame my coarse,, unruly hair. Oils, about 8 different kinds, CO only, DTs, bunning, henna and other herb treatments. I have a million different products both natural and not natural.
Although my hair is longer now, it is not in any better shape. I have come to the conclusion that my hair is not damaged, nor dry, nor anything but itself. ��
In the end I have begun to go back to cones, mostly those serums. My hair LOVES them and I get a much better result.
I am a Conehead forever!

jen5972
August 12th, 2012, 03:02 PM
I had always been anti cones. I had heard they were bad for long hair, so I avoided them like the plaque. I have grown my hair to classic, then chopped back to waist more times than I can count because of horrible tangles. A few months ago, I was almost to tailbone, and already the tangles were starting up again. I was desperate! I watched a youtube video of Torrin Paige (LOVE her!), and she talked about Silk Drops (which are loaded with cones) and how well they work for her. I was so desperate that I decided to try a bottle. The first time I used it, I could not believe it! I wore my hair down all day and barely had a tangle!! I used to get matting so terrible that it would take me 15 minutes to detangle. I am now at tailbone, and LOVE my Silk Drops!!! I can wear my hair down again, and keep it at tailbone or longer without having to chop it off because of tangles :)!

CaitlinMarie93
August 12th, 2012, 04:00 PM
My hair adores cones as well. I attempted to go cone free awhile back and oh my goodness gracious, I am not going back. Anyone else feel like cone-free product made their hair almost sticky? Keep the cones coming :D

Tisiloves
August 12th, 2012, 04:03 PM
My hair adores cones as well. I attempted to go cone free awhile back and oh my goodness gracious, I am not going back. Anyone else feel like cone-free product made their hair almost sticky? Keep the cones coming :D

Yes, I could not detangle properly to save my life, all my hairs stuck together. I can see how it woud be good for clump forming in curlies, but it does me no favours.

maborosi
August 13th, 2012, 12:10 AM
CONES CONES CONES!

I use Pantene's Ice Shine conditioner for my CO-wash.

I tried Aquage Beyond Shine spray, but I'm not sure...I'll have to try it again to see if I really like it. It's kinda easy to overdo, but it definitely gives shine and makes my hair behave.

I tried going no-cones, and it worked a bit, but nothing beats cones for me. They detangle my hair and keep it nice and manageable.

~maborosi~

222toogoodforu
August 13th, 2012, 12:34 AM
Very much a cone-junkie here! It's great for my old, beat up hair. I think it's the thing that keeps my hair from disintegrating completely after what I've put it through! I have to keep it off my fresh virgin hair though.

Amber_Maiden
August 17th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Anyone have a favourite coney conditioner?

kitschy
August 17th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Every single time I read the title of this thread I think it says "New Official Crone thread," and I enter so that I can join.

I am a crone, but I do not use cones......carry on. :brains:

Amber_Maiden
August 17th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Every single time I read the title of this thread I think it says "New Official Crone thread," and I enter so that I can join.

I am a crone, but I do not use cones......carry on. :brains:

lol!! :D :p

briles
August 17th, 2012, 12:17 PM

My long time, always find my way back to it, 'cone filled conditioner is Aussie 3 MM!

Lady Neeva
August 17th, 2012, 12:41 PM
I mentioned Pantene Classic Clean as one of the best ones to cleanse my scalp fully. Garnier Fructis is another.

Aqua Gal
August 17th, 2012, 12:42 PM

Yay! The conehead thread is back. Thanks!

I go back & forth with cones & cone free. Anything slippery works great for me. My favorite is L'oreal mega moisture in the tub from Sally's. It's super slippery and smells like apples. mmmmmmm.

Aqua Gal
August 17th, 2012, 12:43 PM
My long time, always find my way back to it, 'cone filled conditioner is Aussie 3 MM!

Woops. I must be a goof. I thought the 3mm was one of my conefree products...oh well.

Thenolegirl
August 17th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Hello =)

I keep trying to see what's going to work for my hair. I love organic haircare and sulphate/cone free. My hair is softer...but not shiny at all. It just looks dull and coconut oil just won't give it the shine or texture I want. I do have damage on the lower five inches too from my hot air brush abusing days.

I'll just clarify once a month or so. I'm using an awesome shine serum. However, my mom just gave me a super expensive salon brand of shampoo and conditioner. They are both sulphate free but both have cones in it. I loved how the shampoo felt, but I'm not liking the conditioner. It kind of "sunk" into my hair? Hard to describe. I'll try it again in a few days.

I'm just concerned that it won't take care of the cones from the serum and it won't moisturize my hair enough. Detangling was a little more difficult than normal.

vanillabones
August 17th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Mmmm I love cones. I love ice shine. I love Redken. Not really feeling the LTR, I want to try beautiful lengths.

t_ballet26
August 17th, 2012, 02:26 PM
I love Pantene Ice Shine Conditioner, it is my very first cone ever. I love that it comes out with just a CO wash. My husband also likes it better than his old Conditioner. To think I spent all this time thinking Cones were evil.

Has anyone tried Pantene Pro-V Relaxed & Natural Dry to Moisturized Conditioner. It looks like it might be really good.
Here are the Ingredients
Water, Stearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetyl Alcohol, Fragrance, Bis Aminopropyl Dimethicone, Isopropyl Alcohol, Benzyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Panthenol, Panthenyl Ethyl Ether, Cocos Nucifera Oil (Coconut), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Extract (Jojoba), Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

It has the same cone as Ice shine but also Coconut and Jojoba oil.

kidari
August 17th, 2012, 02:30 PM
I love Pantene's length and strength conditioning mask that comes in the white tub with the light purple lid. I also adore It's a 10 leave-in spray conditioner. Those are two of my faves right now but I love so many conditioners with cones. I recently purchased a tiny vial of Macadamia treatment oil and the first ingredient listed is a cone- it sinks into my hair immediately and does it's thing while leaving my hair nice and light. After getting halfway through the vial I'm thinking of mixing some oils into it. The only thing I don't like is the scent : /

Neoma
August 18th, 2012, 02:30 PM
I adore coney conditioners, but have a hard time finding ones that aren't too "perfumey." I cannot tolerate the smell of Pantene (after having used it for decades), Loreal's Nutri Gloss (love the way it works, though!), any of the Herbal Essences... You get the idea. I get migraines, and anything perfumey can set them off.

Most truly natural fragrances derived from essential oils are OK for me.

I do use Moroccan Oil and a knockoff that don't bother me.

Does anyone have suggestions for really good detangling conditioners that don't smell perfumey or that smell "natural"? :flower:

lapushka
August 18th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Does anyone have suggestions for really good detangling conditioners that don't smell perfumey or that smell "natural"? :flower:

I would have suggested the Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, which to me doesn't have a too heavy scent to it, but of course if you're having the problem of developing migraines from scents and this is one of them that set you off... :(

I would have equally suggested the Garnier Triple Nutrition, which to me doesn't smell that bad either, but... noses vary, and I suppose some might call it heavily scented.

Sorry I'm being of no help to you.

Neoma
August 18th, 2012, 02:49 PM
I would have suggested the Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, which to me doesn't have a too heavy scent to it, but of course if you're having the problem of developing migraines from scents and this is one of them that set you off... :(

I would have equally suggested the Garnier Triple Nutrition, which to me doesn't smell that bad either, but... noses vary, and I suppose some might call it heavily scented.

Sorry I'm being of no help to you.

Thank you for trying, lapushka. :flower: It's funny... I can actually like a fragrance, but it can still set off a headache. Hello Hydration is a no go for me. I haven't tried Garnier Triple Nutrition. I'll give it a sniff at the drugstore. Thank you.

Annibelle
August 18th, 2012, 02:59 PM
I'm with Neoma. One of the main reasons I quit cones was because they're often paired with very strong artificial fragrances. :( I also use only products that don't test on animals. I've just stuck with natural products because of this. My hair doesn't tangle or anything with natural products, but I'm wondering if my hair would be better on cones again... :hmm: It would certainly be straighter.

patienceneeded
August 18th, 2012, 03:12 PM
I love me some cones! I keep trying to go all natural and stuff, but my hair and scalp hate it. So, back to cones I go. I LOVE Pantene, it's my favorite.

Tisiloves
August 18th, 2012, 03:17 PM
I adore coney conditioners, but have a hard time finding ones that aren't too "perfumey." I cannot tolerate the smell of Pantene (after having used it for decades), Loreal's Nutri Gloss (love the way it works, though!), any of the Herbal Essences... You get the idea. I get migraines, and anything perfumey can set them off.

Most truly natural fragrances derived from essential oils are OK for me.

I do use Moroccan Oil and a knockoff that don't bother me.

I've never used it, but Simple do conditioner with no added fragrance.

Sorry, I can't be more helpful, I'm one of these people who prefers strong scents.

petali
August 18th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Have you guys tried Hello Hydration by Herbal Essences? It's the "self targeting" conditioner. I added some honey into it, and it seems to be working pretty well.

akilina
August 18th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Yeeeyy <3

I sure do love my cones.
Last week when I was doing color oopsing I went cone free before and after.
While it was interesting to see how my hair reacted to it, I was terribly bored and depressed I could not use my yummy coney products in the shower.
I am back on cones and happy as can be lol.

akilina
August 18th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Have you guys tried Hello Hydration by Herbal Essences? It's the "self targeting" conditioner. I added some honey into it, and it seems to be working pretty well.
Herrmmm, I used to.
I liked the smell and used to really like the product when I was 16-18 but now for some reason it just didn't cut it for me, and felt really weird and almost waxy. Sad day.
I have considered adding honey to one of my conditioners though :)
How much did you add?
And its sort of far fetched but do you notice any lightening? Or has it not been long enough to notice yet?

petali
August 18th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Herrmmm, I used to.
I liked the smell and used to really like the product when I was 16-18 but now for some reason it just didn't cut it for me, and felt really weird and almost waxy. Sad day.
I have considered adding honey to one of my conditioners though :)
How much did you add?
And its sort of far fetched but do you notice any lightening? Or has it not been long enough to notice yet?

I used a little bit, about 1 table spoon in a 100 mL bottle of conditioner. I did it because it is a humectant, which means it draws in moisture. I've only used it once, I can't tell yet lol!

TheMechaGinger
August 18th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Cones! I love them so much. The suave salon knock-offs are my favorites right now (the orange and blue ones, I forget their names) but since there are so many awesome coney conditioners out there I try to experiment

Neoma
August 18th, 2012, 04:24 PM
I've never used it, but Simple do conditioner with no added fragrance.

Sorry, I can't be more helpful, I'm one of these people who prefers strong scents.

Thank you for the suggestion, Tisiloves. :flower: I believe that Simple is a British product, but a search for it lead me to Finesse Clean & Simple. I used to love Finesse -- it detangles my hair beautifully. Alas, regular Finesse is very perfumey. But a fragrance-free version -- fabulous! I have to check this out!

Oh, well... I just realized that it's not fragrance-free, just free of a bunch of other stuff. :( I'll have to keep looking.

katfemme89
August 18th, 2012, 04:40 PM
I tried to go cone and sulfate free for a few months and the entire time my hair looked like a dang stump full of granddaddies. I'm back on the cones and happy as a pig in slop!

I'm sorry the scented shampoos and conditioners set off migraines. That's gotta suck hardcore. Personally, I can't use Garnier anymore because I used it for a long time and now the smell almost makes me nauseous.

I think the best shampoo and conditioner I have ever used was Head & Shoulders Smooth and Silky... Man, I loved that stuff. I need to start using it again.

gillybeanxo3921
August 18th, 2012, 04:46 PM
I love Hello Hydration, and I want to try the new Honey I'm strong one next. I definitely need to try Ice Shine, and my hair loves Beautiful Lengths.

I used to do the three minute miracle, and I loved it :D
I want to try a more expensive deep condish with keratin in it, though.

Right now I'm using Clean Scalp & Hair therapy Strong Lengths, and it's working pretty good. I actually switch off between that and Mane & Tale, but I'm almost out of that. I think I have a little bit of Hello Hydration under the sink, though, so I guess I'll just switch back to that!

Neoma
August 18th, 2012, 04:47 PM
I tried to go cone and sulfate free for a few months and the entire time my hair looked like a dang stump full of granddaddies. I'm back on the cones and happy as a pig in slop!

I'm sorry the scented shampoos and conditioners set off migraines. That's gotta suck hardcore. Personally, I can't use Garnier anymore because I used it for a long time and now the smell almost makes me nauseous.

I think the best shampoo and conditioner I have ever used was Head & Shoulders Smooth and Silky... Man, I loved that stuff. I need to start using it again.

Thank you, katfemme89. :flower:

Your opening paragraph made me smile. :)

petali
August 18th, 2012, 05:03 PM
I love Hello Hydration, and I want to try the new Honey I'm strong one next. I definitely need to try Ice Shine, and my hair loves Beautiful Lengths.

I used to do the three minute miracle, and I loved it :D
I want to try a more expensive deep condish with keratin in it, though.

Right now I'm using Clean Scalp & Hair therapy Strong Lengths, and it's working pretty good. I actually switch off between that and Mane & Tale, but I'm almost out of that. I think I have a little bit of Hello Hydration under the sink, though, so I guess I'll just switch back to that!

What a coincidence! I bought the Scalp and Hair therapy strong lengths when I bought the Hello Hydration! I tried it, but for some reason it made my hair very oily :( it smells really good, though!

ratgirldjh
August 18th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Thank you for trying, lapushka. :flower: It's funny... I can actually like a fragrance, but it can still set off a headache. Hello Hydration is a no go for me. I haven't tried Garnier Triple Nutrition. I'll give it a sniff at the drugstore. Thank you.

Have you tried Shikai? It is an amla based conditioner with amodimethicone and doesn't smell strongly. I've never tried it because I used to not use conditioner (much less coney conditioner) but it looks to be good and light and someone on another thread recommended it and I'm thinking of trying it myself.

I am very sensitive to smells myself and the only coney conditioner I've ever used up to the other day is Ice Shine and I can't believe the fragrance doesn't bother me!!! Also it is great that it has no protein or glycerine both of which build up on my hair with one use. So Ice Shine is probably my best find of this year if I want to Co-wash as well as the first conditioner that ever actually worked for my hair!

I bought a sample size of Hello Hydration and took it back after being in the car with it on the way home was enough to convince me I couldn't live with THAT smell. :(

Xi
August 18th, 2012, 06:29 PM
I've had long hair most of my life. My hair is abnormally tangly, I think (something about the fine/medium combo perhaps?), and it was a dreadful battle to deal with. I tried pretty much everything going over the years. Herbal Essences & other coney conditioners did little for me. Then I tried a REALLY cone-heavy shampoo and conditioner (Joico), and my hair was miraculously transformed into soft, shiny, easy-to-look-after wonderfulness. :) I've used Joico conditioner ever since (10 years or so). Neoma, you might like it -- there is minimal scent. It's pricey, but it's not bad if you buy it on sale in bulk (it comes in huge bottles that last me 8-12 months). I know it's not for everyone -- there's nothing "light" about its dose of cones -- but I love it. It's got to be better for my hair than constant matted knots!

In summary: cones = :cloud9:

Neoma
August 18th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Have you tried Shikai? It is an amla based conditioner with amodimethicone and doesn't smell strongly. I've never tried it because I used to not use conditioner (much less coney conditioner) but it looks to be good and light and someone on another thread recommended it and I'm thinking of trying it myself.

OMG, ratgirldjh, thank you so much for reminding me of Shikai! I used to use this about 20 years ago and I loved it. I even loved the smell. And I remember that it detangled beautifully. I've got to get some. I see that it's available online. I'll also look for it locally. Thanks again! :flowers:

I've had long hair most of my life. My hair is abnormally tangly, I think (something about the fine/medium combo perhaps?), and it was a dreadful battle to deal with. I tried pretty much everything going over the years. Herbal Essences & other coney conditioners did little for me. Then I tried a REALLY cone-heavy shampoo and conditioner (Joico), and my hair was miraculously transformed into soft, shiny, easy-to-look-after wonderfulness. :) I've used Joico conditioner ever since (10 years or so). Neoma, you might like it -- there is minimal scent. It's pricey, but it's not bad if you buy it on sale in bulk (it comes in huge bottles that last me 8-12 months). I know it's not for everyone -- there's nothing "light" about its dose of cones -- but I love it. It's got to be better for my hair than constant matted knots!

In summary: cones = :cloud9:Thank you for the recommendation, Xi! :flower:

Gilly
August 18th, 2012, 11:49 PM
I am officially obsessed with Agadir argan oil products now, I have gone from being somebody who was really worried about using silicones of any type on my hair and avoiding them like the plauge, only to have hair that I hated, that always looked 2nd best and I was always fighting with, I then tried the Agadir treatment spray which is a really lightweight spray argan serum type thing, I tried to spray other argan oil serums (cone laden ones like Morrocan oil) but they come out as a stream, this however does spray beautifully, on the strength of that I tried the shampoo and conditioner, they are sulphate and paraben free, again, no problems with my cranky scalp and my hair loves them! The last thing I have tried is the treatment mask, this is amazing stuff, I have now got most of the range and while I will probably use a clarifying shampoo once a month if I need it, I can't see myself using anything else!
I am LOVING what this has done to my hair, it's looking great again!!:D

AdaClare
August 19th, 2012, 07:11 PM
I'm a conehead, too! :D My hair seems to really like Dove Daily Moisture and Intensive Repair and Herbal Essance Long Term Relationship.

DebbieCakes
August 19th, 2012, 09:47 PM
I've been lurking around the forums for a couple of months but this thread has inspired me to take the plunge and register an account.
My hair can not exist without cones. I've tried all sorts of cone-free things and my hair was not too happy about it.
During the week, I use a "light" coney Nature's Organics Frequent Use. Honestly, it seems like the bottles were half full and someone topped them off with water. At first, loveloveloved this product but now the scent is getting to me! It's a nice Coconut Mango scent but it's like I've dipped my hair in perfume. Really strong, over powering scent. So I certainly won't be buying this stuff again!
On the weekends I like to spoil my hair with a heavy amount of Pantene.