PDA

View Full Version : Wavies - am I the only one who doesn't want volume?

julliams
August 10th, 2012, 09:12 PM
I've been doing alot of searching for other cury/wavy routines to see how they differ to my own. Along the way I keep coming across people saying how important it is for volume at the roots.

Now I'm not sure if I'm missing something here but volume is something I really don't want. My hair is thick and coarse and I have plenty of it. Volume makes me look like I've stepped out of an 80's music video - a look I'm definitely not going for.

Is anyone out there of similar hair-type to me that feels the same way about volume? Do you mind sharing your routine? How do you keep your waves defined and deal with frizz? Do you brush? Is your second day hair straight?

Thanks in advance.

Kaelee
August 10th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Oh I totally feel the same way. I like SOME volume but not a lot and I certainly avoid any shampoo or conditioner that is labeled "volumizing". These make my hair take on the appearance of a lion's mane! :lol:

irisheyes
August 10th, 2012, 11:38 PM
I tried volumizing shampoo and conditioner because they contained no heavy conditioning ingredients to attract even more humidity into my frizzy hair. I actually got less volume and alot less frizz. I plan to keep using these until winter, when I'll try my moisturizing products again. I also french braid at night and only comb once a day prior to braiding. More handling equals more volume. I only use my BBB to smooth an updo now.

earthnut
August 10th, 2012, 11:48 PM
I like a little volume, just enough for some lift from my scalp, but not very much. If I had to choose between no volume and no frizz, I'd definitely choose no volume!

Brushes are a sure-fire way to get lots of frizzy volume, so I avoid them.

Volumizing conditioners aren't necessarily bad, I'm actually using VO5 Extra Body now and it's great. It has protein, which my hair likes in moderation. I pay attention to the ingredient list, not to the front label.

I'm trying to reach a good moisturizer/protein balance in my hair. I haven't found it yet, but I think it is a key part to reducing frizz.

I haven't decided about humectants yet. I live in a very moderate climate, so I'm not sure humectants really make much difference for me.

I love oiling my hair for reducing frizz. It's been the best thing so far. Usually olive oil, applied to dry hair as a leave in. Also helps to define waves (though it weighs down curls) and flatten volume.

DancingQueen
August 11th, 2012, 12:25 AM
I like a lot of volume since I have thin hair, but I can tell you how you avoid it. Avoid cones and sulphates. Whenever I use that type of shampoo/conditioner, my hair can't get volume. Don't know if you are the same, but you can always try. :)

Crybb
August 11th, 2012, 12:50 AM
Aaah, thanks for asking this! My hair poufs like crazy. I think it is electrical charge on the strands that repel each other, sort of static, but it seems like it builds from the environment. I can start with my hair smooth and half an hour later it's all poufy! Do other wavies have this too? Hope we can get some ideas! Cones? Humectants? Oil?

nowheregirl
August 11th, 2012, 01:58 AM
oh i'm totally there...lots and lots of volume(frizz?) which is great when creating any kind of updo... any simple bun/ ponytail/twists comes out great with volumes in the right places without teasing or anything but when i put my hair down it becomes a problem :( :(
after years of blow-drying/ironing or even occasional japanese rebonding i finally found a solution to my volume. somewhat.
i use a heavy cone shampoo and conditioner (loreal/pantene/dove). my 2b hair behaves at its best when its filled with cone...
in between shampoo and conditioner i use 2/3 drops of olive oil. i know its a bit unconventional but it made a huge difference. i think i first heard it in some youtube video 1-2 years ago and have been doing that since. what i do is wash my hair, put a few drop of olive and in my palm and slip my hair through (straight of shower after washing my hair so that the water can carry the oil) count to 10 then wash it off with water. i only do this in my length and barely in the nape(i have too much volume in my nape) never on my crown or front (I have oily hair as it is)...it took me some time to perfect the right amount of oil but it never gets oily...not with washing it first with water then applying some heavy cone conditioner which washes off more oil...
then the normal stuff. using wide comb tooth to comb...putting heavy-cone anti firzz serum (again on the length and nape only) and then tie-ing the damp hair in some kind of bun to define the waves and dry ( or air dry..which makes my hair kind of straight)...oh sometimes if there are still a lot of volume in my hair i put a little anti-frizz serum( again heavy cone) in my dry hair which takes care of it :)
i dont know if it helps...just my two cents :)

Madora
August 11th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Volume is something I never cared about either. For one thing, the weight of my hair made it impossible. Secondly, it is always up so no need to give it another thought.

Charybdis
August 11th, 2012, 08:09 AM
I've been doing alot of searching for other cury/wavy routines to see how they differ to my own. Along the way I keep coming across people saying how important it is for volume at the roots.

Now I'm not sure if I'm missing something here but volume is something I really don't want. My hair is thick and coarse and I have plenty of it. Volume makes me look like I've stepped out of an 80's music video - a look I'm definitely not going for.

I think what people mean is that they want volume specifically at *the roots*, to create some vertical lift that balances the tendency of wurly hair to expand horizontally (for the dreaded triangle-head effect). I'd like more volume at the roots too, but I mainly get volume everywhere else. :p

Kelikea
August 11th, 2012, 08:15 AM
I never have volume at the roots or in front because my hair is very fine in the front, tending to be very flat, and it is too heavy for volume at the roots. The most volume I get is towards the back and down, especially when it gets brushed out at the end of the day. I have good luck with Nature's Gate Organics persimmon and rose geranium S&C and a diluted vinegar rinse. I use a wide-tooth comb either in the shower or right after. Then I use my microfiber towel for a few minutes. After taking it down, I spritz it with a dollop of conditioner mixed with water in a spray bottle, finger comb, part, and scrunch.

If I leave it down day 1, then I can have good day 2 hair. If I put it in too tight of an updo, then it is kinda too straight for day 2 and so do another updo. If I wear it down, I make sure to take my wide-tooth comb with me and a spray bottle to detangle and refresh throughout the day. Otherwise I am left with a softball size matted hairball under the nape. For a little extra weight and conditioning/definition, Dr. Bronner's hair styling creme works well.

jojo
August 11th, 2012, 08:29 AM
To me its irrelevant to get volume unless I am wearing it down and even then I tent to comb it so it's less poufy and straighter . I wear my hair up most of the time anyway and even that can be a challenge as the waves on top pouf out and give me side ways waves like an extra on a 50's film! I find the best thing is to bun it whilst damp and comb the hair straight back at the front, this flattens down the wave and stops the poufyness from happenening. I too do not want to look like an 80's throwback no matter how much poufy hair is in fashion !

Tristania
August 11th, 2012, 08:51 AM
I'm not really that wavy, and my hair isn't that thick, but I'm also one of those who just really doesn't want volume. I don't see the appeal. When I started to see ads for Bumpits on TV, I was at a loss for words. I can't imagine why anyone would want hair like that.

Dandelion6
August 11th, 2012, 09:44 AM

Is anyone out there of similar hair-type to me that feels the same way about volume? Do you mind sharing your routine? How do you keep your waves defined and deal with frizz? Do you brush? Is your second day hair straight?

Thanks in advance.

Lol. Thanks for posting this. I totally feel the same way. I do what I can to decrease volume. I like my hair best when it is smooth and flat on the head and the waves just ripple down my back. Now a little bit of root volume is ok.

What works for me at my current length (midback) is damp bunning or braiding. It seems to really help with the frizzing and poofing that would usually occur if I let it dry just loose. I find if I keep the bun or braid in for 6 hours it will dry pretty much frizz free when I let it down at that point, provided that I don't mess with it too much.

I cwc every other morning. The night before a wash I do a generous oiling with coconut or jojoba oil. I also use a very light leave in conditioner/detangler and touch of anti frizz serum before bunning or braiding.

lapushka
August 11th, 2012, 04:28 PM
When it's freshly washed, there's little that can be done, the volume is just there, not that much but it's there, also my hair's very airy and "fluffy" (not really frizzy), kind of... aerated between the waves. Days afterwards, that volume at the roots decreases more and more as days go by. Just the way it is. When your hair's fluffed up from a nice clean fresh wash, there's little you can do to tame that volume at the roots, except use oil at the roots, or put lots of conditioner as a leave-in at your roots, so it lays flat from the very beginning.

Firefly
August 11th, 2012, 04:35 PM
No, no volume for me either, thanks! LOL Roots or otherwise... it just translates into poof for my hair.

dawnrader
August 11th, 2012, 05:28 PM
I'm a frizzy wavy wurly 2b/c/3a type and like you i seriously don't need the volume. I tend to wash my hair, brush it out (tangle teaser) and leave it to air dry. I put it into a pony braid when it's still damp, i ususally wash my hair at night so by morning the top has straightened out and my length has braid waves rather than frizzy curls.

I've been reading the curly girl forums but i'm just not up for putting that much product in my hair!

dwell_in_safety
August 11th, 2012, 06:46 PM
I've never really cared for volume. I've always had it, and having nearly all of it removed due to CO-washing has been welcome.

spidermom
August 11th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Volume - yup; got it. The weight tends to pull my hair flatter to my head than I'd prefer, but it is what it is. I usually put it up, and I have some bangs and fringe to play with.

Tia2010
August 11th, 2012, 07:53 PM
I don't mind volume when my whole head is evenly full and not frizzy, I like that ... but I hate when I get flat roots and all the volume is only at the bottom (the dreaded triangle)

Arden
August 11th, 2012, 08:02 PM
With the exception of volume at the scalp I dont really seek out volume. Generally speaking an aphrodity knots right out of the shower and air drying till it begins to fall gives me nice lift at the scalp....

If I want "big hair" all I need to do is blowfry! LOL

My main goal is just to have healthy hair and to encurage my waves to come back.... and to encurage super duper growth of course... :D