PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone's hair coarser this time around?

CurlyCap
August 10th, 2012, 08:46 PM
I did a big chop almost two years ago.

If you had asked me at that time, I would have said I had fine and medium strands. However, as my hair is growing out this time, I have at least a 3rd coarse strands.

This is really surprising to me because I had coarse hair as a child, but it became finer with puberty. And here it is again, lots and lots of coarse strands.

Has anyone else noticed a change in strand thickness after a big cut?

I'm wondering if my hair care routine really has had this much affect on the thickness of my strands!

Dziip
August 10th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Well, if it is your routine, you really have to tell me what you do :)
But I have no experience and my post is so not helping... sorry

CurlyCap
August 10th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Well, if it is your routine, you really have to tell me what you do :)
But I have no experience and my post is so not helping... sorry

I don't do anything special with my hair. It's just typical curly girl method that's been adjusted for my specific head.

What I meant was, before my chop, I had the "Oh, my hair is long," approach to hair care. I knew that worst case scenario was to chop 2-3 inches...and my hair would still be long. So while I took care of my hair, I was often more harsh with it than I would ever be now. And I wonder if haircare routines really make a difference like that.

Also, I'm curious about whether my strands will become gradually finer with length...and maybe that's what I remember. :)

PrettyFit
August 10th, 2012, 09:12 PM
I don't do anything special with my hair. It's just typical curly girl method that's been adjusted for my specific head.

What I meant was, before my chop, I had the "Oh, my hair is long," approach to hair care. I knew that worst case scenario was to chop 2-3 inches...and my hair would still be long. So while I took care of my hair, I was often more harsh with it than I would ever be now. And I wonder if haircare routines really make a difference like that.

Also, I'm curious about whether my strands will become gradually finer with length...and maybe that's what I remember. :)

Are you wondering if the hair will start growing finer from the root after it gets longer? I havent noticed that on my head but I did notice that my hair has been finer toward the ends... I could see the change in the individual hairs from root to tip. This was before I started chemically straightening it. I assumed it was damage from the flat iron.

lacefrost
August 10th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Well, you know my hair coaaaaarse. But I've had the opposite situation. Since I really started caring for my scalp, I have a whole slew of fine hairs. Basically a year and a half worth of fine strands. Eventually my hair will be half fine, half coarse with no medium. It's weird.

DancingQueen
August 10th, 2012, 11:26 PM
I know your hair type can change if you shave it all off, but I don't know about cuts..

lilliemer
August 11th, 2012, 11:38 AM
My hair seems to be growing in finer now that I have given up heat. Have you changed your use of heat styling? I still have a bunch of coarse wiry strands that go right up to the scalp, but overall the newer growth seems to be finer and softer. Last time I got a trim, the hairdresser said that my hair texture was totally different at the ends probably due to heat damage. My ends are definitely stiff/crunchy and dry compared to the rest of it, hopefully this will be gone in the next two trims or so.

ravenreed
August 11th, 2012, 12:07 PM
As I get older, some of my hairs are getting really coarse and really wavy. I can actually feel the roughness all the way up the strand to the root. They are as thick as sewing thread too. There are others that are still fine and fairly straight. I think that is one reason that I get so many tangles; the two hair types don't like each other and fight. :slap:

Delila
August 11th, 2012, 12:50 PM
My hair seems to be responding positively to gentle handling and a steady routine.
Fine hairs still break, but overall my hair seems thicker, each strand seems a tad stronger.

I'd guess that hormones and age may be a factor. A good many of my gray hairs seem to be growing in much coarser than the rest of my hair. Coarser, and wavier. (Once in a blue moon a single strand of my hair will actually coil, but clumped together, it's always just wavy.)

ETA: I do notice that there seems to be a noticeable thinning of some strands. They're thicker at the root, and much thinner as they get longer. Some others are the same thickness throughout their length.

domisimone
August 11th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Well, you know my hair coaaaaarse. But I've had the opposite situation. Since I really started caring for my scalp, I have a whole slew of fine hairs. Basically a year and a half worth of fine strands. Eventually my hair will be half fine, half coarse with no medium. It's weird.

No way! Since I've started taking care of my scalp, my roots are coarser and thicker!
(but maybe that always happened, and I just never noticed it?)