PDA

View Full Version : Coconut oil help? :)

pocketfulla
August 10th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Does this look like a good oil to use?

http://shop.priceline.com.au/hair-products/hair-care/shampoo-and-conditioner-products/palmers-coconut-oil-formula----------------repairing-conditioner?p=32013

The reason I'm asking is because it's not 100% coconut oil & I've never used coconut oil before so I'm not sure if it's ok to use a formula or just the oil. Can an expert take a look at the ingredients and tell me what they think? :)

Thankyou!

excentricat
August 10th, 2012, 07:18 PM
It isn't an oil. It's a conditioner. It contains cones and protein. How does your hair feel about those?

Wildcat Diva
August 10th, 2012, 07:21 PM
I use this:
http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Way-Organic-Virgin-Coconut/dp/B003B3OOPA/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1344648041&sr=1-1&keywords=coconut+oil

but maybe you can't get this easily in Australia.
UNREFINED oil is what you are looking for.

PrettyFit
August 10th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Does this look like a good oil to use?

http://shop.priceline.com.au/hair-products/hair-care/shampoo-and-conditioner-products/palmers-coconut-oil-formula----------------repairing-conditioner?p=32013

The reason I'm asking is because it's not 100% coconut oil & I've never used coconut oil before so I'm not sure if it's ok to use a formula or just the oil. Can an expert take a look at the ingredients and tell me what they think? :)

Thankyou!

Hi There!

If you are looking for coconut oil, you would have better luck getting some from virgin coconut oil from amazon.com, your local pharmacy, or grocery store. You can get it from the food section or the personal supplement section, as long as it is 100% coconut oil. The product that you have listed above is a conditioner containing coconut oil among many other things. If you want a coconut conditioner, you can add some warm coconut oil to your favorite conditioner in your home.

march_sun
August 10th, 2012, 07:27 PM
I'd be careful of the proteins and cones. I prefer pure extra virgin coconut oil. I got mine from a local organic grocery store, but you could find it whole foods or somewhere like that. I know Walmart sells it, but it isn't extra virgin (LouAna brand)

Wildcat Diva
August 10th, 2012, 07:28 PM
but when you look be careful. I bought the refined oil at first (but it was organic, so I thought that was great LOL!), and it does not work well. Again, choose the unrefined oil.

Bunnysaur
August 10th, 2012, 07:42 PM
That's a conditioner, not an oil. I would get a thing of pure coconut oil, it's easy to find at grocery stores.

but when you look be careful. I bought the refined oil at first (but it was organic, so I thought that was great LOL!), and it does not work well. Again, choose the unrefined oil.

Mine is refined (all WalMart sold :() and it seems to work just find for me :shrug: I suppose I don't know any different, so when I switch to refined after this jar is done, I may change my mind...

march sun: They also sell the Spectrum brand, and I think it's extra virgin. It's definitely higher quality than the LouAna junk, that's for darn sure.

angelgypsy
August 10th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Indian/Middle eastern stores usually carry it as a food staple, sometimes even for a lower price, although that wasn't the case in my store. But the one I got in the ME grocery was unrefined and even still had the coconut smell, while the stuff I got from Sprouts does not. I use that one for cooking and the ones I got from the MEG for my hair. They also had coconut oil for hair that had the same smell and texture but also had some herbal extracts for hair added. I got a nice result when I used it after a good henna.

Wildcat Diva
August 10th, 2012, 08:21 PM
That's a conditioner, not an oil. I would get a thing of pure coconut oil, it's easy to find at grocery stores.

Mine is refined (all WalMart sold :() and it seems to work just find for me :shrug: I suppose I don't know any different, so when I switch to refined after this jar is done, I may change my mind...

march sun: They also sell the Spectrum brand, and I think it's extra virgin. It's definitely higher quality than the LouAna junk, that's for darn sure.

I used the refined Spectrum brand (bought in the organic foods section at Kroger's) before I knew any better. Then I realized that the Nature's Way brand on Amazon was cheaper, and unrefined. However, most recently I got my oil from Amazon delivered to my PO box and it was all melted, I had to refrigerate it!

pocketfulla
August 10th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm so sorry - I didn't even see that it was a conditioner! :p I was on my iPod at the time.

Anyhoo I have looked in local supermarkets and couldn't find any there, so I'm going to go to a health food shop on Monday. Thanks again :)

earthnut
August 10th, 2012, 11:58 PM

Refined oil works fine. Unrefined oil works fine. Your hair may prefer one over the other, mine likes both. Refined oil has shorter fatty acids than the unrefined, which theoretically may make it penetrate the hair better. I found it worked extremely well for deep oiling.

Sophiatrist
August 11th, 2012, 03:49 AM
I've used both the Spectrum and the LouAna coconut oils picked up in the cooking oil section at Walmart. My hair absolutely loves both of them. They are also the only ones I have tried so far so I don't know if my hair would love something of a higher quality even more. Both of them are refined to give a higher smoke point for cooking purposes so I don't know if they lose something my hair (fine, gray, heat free and totally virgin) might like in the process. Neither one of them is "interesting". No nice coconutty smell and the LouAna especially looks like something really processed when it is cold.

But.

According to the Walmart website the Spectrum oil is about half the price of the fancier, non-refined, oils and the LouAna is even less. The next time I pick some up I'm going to find some of the fancier stuff just to see if maybe I am missing out on something, but as I said, my hair really likes the Wally World stuff and to pay twice as much for something else is going to have to give me really noticeably better results.

anikadear
August 12th, 2012, 06:32 AM
My hair hates the refined, so I tried unrefined and my hair adores it. I usually just use it for deep oilings before washing, and it makes my hair so soft and manageable. I get mine from the grocery store also, it's next to the olive/vegetable oils.

march_sun
August 12th, 2012, 10:53 AM
march sun: They also sell the Spectrum brand, and I think it's extra virgin. It's definitely higher quality than the LouAna junk, that's for darn sure.[/QUOTE]

Thats convenient. I have a bit of a trip to go get mine. I guess stores in different areas will sell different products. I've never tried LouAna, all I know is my hair prefers unrefined.

jojo
August 12th, 2012, 12:48 PM
I am actually sat here with the same product on my hair! But as the others have said its a conditioner not an oil. It's a good dc the one you have shown. You will find coconut in Indian shops parachute is a good one or there's Vatika which is coconut oil mixed with herbs.

Wildcat Diva
August 12th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Refined oil works fine. Unrefined oil works fine. Your hair may prefer one over the other, mine likes both. Refined oil has shorter fatty acids than the unrefined, which theoretically may make it penetrate the hair better. I found it worked extremely well for deep oiling.

Thank you for teaching me about the differences. I was under the impression that the unrefined was preferable, and I didn't know that some people had better luck with refined.

angelgypsy
August 12th, 2012, 05:26 PM
I am actually sat here with the same product on my hair! But as the others have said its a conditioner not an oil. It's a good dc the one you have shown. You will find coconut in Indian shops parachute is a good one or there's Vatika which is coconut oil mixed with herbs.

YES! I have both of those! I used the Vatika on my last oil treatment, and I have a small bottle of the Parachute in the bathroom as well! I think the unrefined soaks into my skin nicely so I'm going to try it after my shower tonight. I've read things about coconut oil that make it sound like a miracle cure! But I just like the idea of something natural that can help my hair and skin.

sarah112786
August 12th, 2012, 05:30 PM
I get mine at wegmans they have a pretty good selection there if you have one where you live. I get the extra virgin louana kind

jojo
August 12th, 2012, 07:40 PM
YES! I have both of those! I used the Vatika on my last oil treatment, and I have a small bottle of the Parachute in the bathroom as well! I think the unrefined soaks into my skin nicely so I'm going to try it after my shower tonight. I've read things about coconut oil that make it sound like a miracle cure! But I just like the idea of something natural that can help my hair and skin.

Both lovely products, try the Vatika on 50% air dried hair overnight and then take it off in the morning with some conditioner only, no water massage it in well and leave for as long as you can at least 10 minutes, your hair will feel lovely!
Both make wonderful skin moisturisers too, only use a drop on your face and body, I've even added them to my bath water!

angelgypsy
August 12th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Both lovely products, try the Vatika on 50% air dried hair overnight and then take it off in the morning with some conditioner only, no water massage it in well and leave for as long as you can at least 10 minutes, your hair will feel lovely!
Both make wonderful skin moisturisers too, only use a drop on your face and body, I've even added them to my bath water!

Oooh! I'll. try that! Thanks!