PDA

View Full Version : Hair care pyramid (project i'd like to start)

kuroneko
August 10th, 2012, 12:37 PM
I'm pretty sure everyone has seen a classic food pyramid, showing what foods you should eat the most of, how often, etc. I'd like to make a similar graphic, but it would show what kind of products you should use on your hair, and how often :) I have a pretty good of what each level of my pyramid would look like, but I'd like to hear your opinions of what you think the layers should be first because I'm sure they're are many people more experienced than me when it comes to hair care here :pinktongue: So, please let me know your ideas~!

PinkyCat
August 10th, 2012, 01:10 PM
That diagram is probably not going to look anything like a pyramid because people with different hair properties need different things. Even then it isn't definite.

For instance - some hair is protein sensitive and some just love it. Curly hair, wavy hair and straight hair all react differently to different elements. Then you have to factor the corseness or fineness of the actual hair shaft.

Kiwiwi
August 10th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Yeah, what PinkyCat said.
And also different scalps, skintypes, hardness/softness of water in the area, weather, humidity, etc.

It's really not easy to do this. But I like the idea, though! And we could all make one for ourselves :) So maybe this thread can be about everybody's personal pyramid! ^^

earthnut
August 10th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Yeah, a general pyramid for all hair types isn't going to be very accurate.

Curly and kinky hair need WAY more moisture and oils than wavy and straight hair.

Thin and porous hair need WAY more protein than coarse and nonporous hair.

Though, I think in general, moisturizers are more necessary than protein. Even protein loving hair uses more moisturizers than protein in my understanding.

If I were to make one, I wouldn't make a hair care pyramid, but more a hair needs pyramid. I'd put water at the base, then moisturizers/oils/fatty alcohols, then protein, then things that some people don't use at all, like humectants/polymers/silicones, etc. I wouldn't include things like shampoo that aren't left in the hair.

akilina
August 10th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Either way, it is a fun idea. Maybe you could make your own, and share it with us :D

domisimone
August 10th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Bumping this and subbing, because I really want to know what people put on their pyramids and how they're designing them. I'm thinking about making one for myself.

Loveisaverb
August 10th, 2012, 06:44 PM
A pyramid sounds like a good idea, but its how you go about it.
For example you can do one for each hair type (straight, wavy, curly, kinky)
or even if people make their own on what their hair needs.
So hair comes in all types, thickness, texture, etc.

But it definitely sounds very interesting

minxe
August 10th, 2012, 06:49 PM
I made one for anyone wants to use it :) It looks best with white text

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8kf8tFtgP1rc5eo7o1_r2_1280.png

I haven't figured out what my hair needs, though, so I won't be joining for a while.

kuroneko
August 11th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Yeah, I certainly agree that different hair types have different needs ^^ I'd love to see everyone else's pyramids, though :D

mzBANGBANG
August 11th, 2012, 09:06 AM
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad238/caslpierce/mzbangbangpyramid.png

I made one! I didn't put much effort into it, lol, just thought about my routine. I treated the top box as if they were sugars and fats :P

jacqueline101
August 11th, 2012, 09:46 AM
I like that its great.

dawnss
August 11th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Even though hair types have different needs, I still think that the last few posted are really nice general examples. Like the food pyramid, individuals can just change the pyramid, or aspects, according to their needs.

domisimone
August 11th, 2012, 12:47 PM
I'm working mine out now, but I'm handwriting all of it because I can't make it on my computer.

Alvrodul
August 11th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Interesting idea - but you have left out the one thing that underlies it all: healthy eating - ensuring that you get all the nutrients you need! Sure, a person can have nice hair while subsisting on junk food (for a while, at least) but to have truly great hair, you also need to look at this.

FWIW, my hair is fairly laid-back when it comes to products - my hair likes cones just fine, but it also does well on no cones (which is what I do these days)
The products I use now, is Chagrin Valley shampoo bars (loooooove them), cheapo non-coney conditioner, a drop of argan oil as leave-in, fairly regular SMTs and deep oil treatments, occasionally a protein treatment (followed by a SMT), and monthly hennaings.