PDA

View Full Version : Lube in hair!

RedheadMistress
August 10th, 2012, 08:54 AM
- Just wondering if anybody else uses lube in their hair ?
It's really good for my curly hair, when it's wet I put a table spoon of it in my palm and it makes my hair more shiny, softer and lovely ! Doesn't make my hair clump together and my hair just soaks it in . . doesn't make my hair feel oversaturated with product .

The one I use I get from Cyberdog in Camden, 20 quid for 240 gr/8.5 oz, and it's meant to be used when being intimate but the person selling it told me it's also good for your bike, to grease the chain up !

Amazing product you can use almost everywhere heh .
It's ingredients are Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone and Dimethiconol.

Does anybody else use lube in their hair ?

[warning; don't use waterbased lube ever, silicone based is much better and waterbased might make your hair sticky and gross]

rock007junkie
August 10th, 2012, 08:58 AM
I haven't but I know it's a huge thing on naturallycurly.com. A lot of the girls were using this to replace Curl Junkie's Curls in a Bottle. They reported that it worked the same. I'm glad you are having such positive results with it :-)

dawnrader
August 10th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Yes, i'm another one who's used lube in the past on her hair.

I used the water based ones for hair gel when my hair was short (get an endless supply free from the gay bars :) )

Never used the silicone based ones on my hair but i have some here so i might give it a go

Bene
August 10th, 2012, 09:25 AM
That seems like something I would've tried when I was younger, if I'd run out hair product, out of desperation.

SilverDoe
August 10th, 2012, 09:30 AM
[warning; don't use waterbased lube ever, silicone based is much better and waterbased might make your hair sticky and gross]

Completely incorrect.
While many water based lubes contain glycerin, which for some might cause stickiness, especially if they're not in a humid climate.
It does not mean that everyone has the same reaction to glycerin, although I'm very against it for intimate use.

I would never use silicone based lube on myself, hair or mucus membranes.
I hate clarifying so often to get it off, and not getting it off means that it locks all moisture out in the end, which caused me major breakage.
But I do use Yes water based lube instead of Aloe vera gel when styling my hair, and for general intimate dryness.
Completely free of glycerin, silicones, parabens, common irritants & paraffin.
https://www.yesyesyes.org/index.htm

Ingredients:
Aqua (water), Aloe barbadensis (Aloe vera)*, Cyamopsis tetragonolobus (Guar Gum)*,
Ceratonia siliqua (Locust Bean Gum)*, Linum usitatissimum (Flax extract)*,
Phenoxyethanol, Potassium sorbate, Xanthan Gum, Citric acid.
*Organically grown ingredients.

I believe lube was common among the black guys at my old school to add shine. :p

Angela_Rose
August 10th, 2012, 10:03 AM
...uh.

Wow, that's a lot of 'cones in that thar lube. It's not going anywhere near my hair. I've been 'cone-free for years.

I'm glad it's working for you, though!

pepperminttea
August 10th, 2012, 10:44 AM
But I do use Yes water based lube instead of Aloe vera gel when styling my hair, and for general intimate dryness.
Completely free of glycerin, silicones, parabens, common irritants & paraffin.
https://www.yesyesyes.org/index.htm

Ingredients:
Aqua (water), Aloe barbadensis (Aloe vera)*, Cyamopsis tetragonolobus (Guar Gum)*,
Ceratonia siliqua (Locust Bean Gum)*, Linum usitatissimum (Flax extract)*,
Phenoxyethanol, Potassium sorbate, Xanthan Gum, Citric acid.
*Organically grown ingredients.

I tried the Yes brand for - *cough* - other uses; it works really well. :) I never thought to try it for my hair! (I admit, in my head I'm imagining a 'Something About Mary' moment...)

rowie
August 10th, 2012, 10:57 AM
I tried the Yes brand for - *cough* - other uses; it works really well. :) I never thought to try it for my hair! (I admit, in my head I'm imagining a 'Something About Mary' moment...)

pepperminttea you are so funny!:D This is an interesting thread. Only here in LHC is where I learn new things I can try putting on my hair. Hmmmm I wonder what I should try out next, and pepperminttea I'm not gonna even mention trying out natural things that can be made from human beings in general (eg. urine..., etc,. you get the point) if I wanted to go the silicone free route.... hahahahahaha:o

pepperminttea
August 10th, 2012, 11:06 AM
pepperminttea you are so funny!:D This is an interesting thread. Only here in LHC is where I learn new things I can try putting on my hair. Hmmmm I wonder what I should try out next, and pepperminttea I'm not gonna even mention trying out natural things that can be made from human beings in general (eg. urine..., etc,. you get the point) if I wanted to go the silicone free route.... hahahahahaha:o

:D Well, there was a thread a long while back about certain, more viscous male fluids being used as a protein treatment. :eyebrows: I'll leave the rest of that to your imagination...!

rowie
August 10th, 2012, 11:21 AM
:D Well, there was a thread a long while back about certain, more viscous male fluids being used as a protein treatment. :eyebrows: I'll leave the rest of that to your imagination...!

oooh I wonder if there would be any ethical consequences around that, or if there would be an issue of guilt, even using pre-___ might contain live cells. OK I don't want to turn this into an academic discussion on ethics. :)

Unofficial_Rose
August 10th, 2012, 11:26 AM

Haha! That was a Cosmopolitan April Fool's Day joke many years ago. :rollin:

blondie9912
August 10th, 2012, 12:04 PM
COMPLETELY off topic, but I read about that store in a book once, a fiction novel! Mind. Blown. That it actually exists

Unofficial_Rose
August 10th, 2012, 12:17 PM
COMPLETELY off topic, but I read about that store in a book once, a fiction novel! Mind. Blown. That it actually exists

It's quite an extraordinary shop. Haven't been there lately but used to have robot mannequins and you could change the lighting in the changing rooms to be club lighting so you could see how the UV clothing you were trying on would look.

blondie9912
August 10th, 2012, 12:24 PM
It's quite an extraordinary shop. Haven't been there lately but used to have robot mannequins and you could change the lighting in the changing rooms to be club lighting so you could see how the UV clothing you were trying on would look.

Yeah, that's what the book said! The characters were getting ready for a party (insightful novel, I know :p) and they went to Cyberdog to have a look no one else would be sporting. Too bad I live on the other side of the pond, the whole Camden area sounds so interesting!

jeanniet
August 10th, 2012, 12:58 PM
I haven't but I know it's a huge thing on naturallycurly.com. A lot of the girls were using this to replace Curl Junkie's Curls in a Bottle. They reported that it worked the same. I'm glad you are having such positive results with it :-)
The kind touted on naturallycurly is water-based, since cones aren't CG friendly and many curlies won't use them. It's used as an alternative to Curl Keeper, too (I didn't know about CJ!), and is quite popular (but not really any cheaper).

truepeacenik
August 10th, 2012, 01:09 PM
What does it say about LHCers that we put lube, monistat and sometime viscous male fluids in our hair...and not by accident?
I love this place!

dwell_in_safety
August 10th, 2012, 01:21 PM
I'm no conehead myself, but the thought of putting lube in my hair is still highly intriguing. Haha! I'll never do it, being cone-free, but man, I love this site.

Unofficial_Rose
August 10th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Yeah, that's what the book said! The characters were getting ready for a party (insightful novel, I know :p) and they went to Cyberdog to have a look no one else would be sporting. Too bad I live on the other side of the pond, the whole Camden area sounds so interesting!

Sounds like they should open a Canadian branch :) The owners started it because they could never find stuff to wear to clubs.

EndlessSunshine
August 10th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Can it be flavored? Bwah hah hahahahahahahahaha! It is so true that I think LHCers will try anything for hair. Multi use of products is just awesome!

piffyanne
August 10th, 2012, 03:33 PM
A need >ahem< for lube has not yet come up (and I don't anticipate it's need until after I'm married) but this is intriguing for hair use. On the other hand, there is NO WAY I could convince my mom I only have it for my hair if she found it in my room. :shrug:

Tisiloves
August 10th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Maybe I can find a use for the million sachets of lube I always end up with after pride. :D

chou
August 10th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Ha, my bottle of silicone lube actually recommends I put it in my hair but I already have a coney leave-in serum so I think I'll just keep using both of them in the places they're meant to be used. But yes, silicone lubes have almost identical ingredients to coney hair-smoothing serums. To the OP, water based lubes are not inferior to silicone lubes. They are different products for different uses and there are plenty of high quality of products of both types on the market.

I'm curious about water-based lubes, though... I really wonder what they would do in hair. I have an organic one with these ingredients: Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Extract (Organic), Sorbitol, Hydroxyetheylcellulose, Hyaluronic Acid, Stevia (Stevia Rebaudiana) Extract (Organic), Tocopherol (Natural Vitamin E), Sodium Citrate, Potassium Sorbate, Paeonia Albiflora Flower Extract (Organic), Passiflora Incarnata (Passionflower) Flower Extract (Organic)

Some mentioned that people were using lube to replace Curls in a Bottle. I can see why, come to think of it they have pretty similar ingredients and an identical consistency. Never though those parts of my life would collide like this!

Isilme
August 10th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Our cone free, basic and quite natural one is awesome for those curly, damage prone nape hairs! Haven't had such well behaved hair there for quite a while!

RedheadMistress
August 11th, 2012, 04:57 AM
The kind touted on naturallycurly is water-based, since cones aren't CG friendly and many curlies won't use them. It's used as an alternative to Curl Keeper, too (I didn't know about CJ!), and is quite popular (but not really any cheaper).

- Aha, read a bit about Curly girl methods and didn't know cones aren't recommended for curly people . Do a lot of curly haired people here not use cones ?
My hair is awful without cones, so I'm kinda forced.
Also with the water based lube, I just remember how it makes my hands feel after it's touched it and could only imagine a tangled sticky mess in my hair, but then again I think it depends on the specific kind of water based you use as well, some might be better than others .

I have some water based I will give a go and see how it is, if it doesn't work I can just wash it out ^^

But yeah, sorry I wrote that, was just thinking it might not be good for hair, but yeah should have made it more clear I don't know from experience ! (with the water based lube)