PDA

View Full Version : Best diet for hair

meteor
August 10th, 2012, 08:33 AM
I am sure we all agree that hair growth, shedding and sebum production are highly dependent on the diet. So what's the best diet for hair?
Based on my experience and some research, paleo / caveman, balanced, low-carb seem to work best due to good intake of vitamins, proteins and fats.
What works worst for me are very-low-calorie, vegan and other highly restrictive diets, as well as diets with lots of processed foods and simple carbs.
What about you? :)

AineMuirne
August 10th, 2012, 08:42 AM
I'm the same as you. I eat a modified paleo diet- I include dairy, which is the only difference. When I can afford it, I will ONLY eat raw dairy. I hate having to consume pasteurized dairy.

I don't eat any grains at all, no gluten, no vegetable oils (only olive oil, coconut oil, and butter), no soy or corn, nothing genetically modified. All whole foods, all meals completely homemade. Most produce we eat is raw.

My boyfriend and I changed to this lifestyle about a year ago, and he's since lost 75 lbs (240 lbs to 165 lbs). We thought we were eating healthfully before that (I've never been overweight, but such is the nature of my metabolism, I suppose!), but after seriously reading up, we weren't at all! Too much grains and legumes.

My hair has always been really healthy, but I do think I shed a little less. My nails are a maaajor difference, though. They don't split anymore even though I constantly clean!

millyaulait
August 10th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Personally I think a balanced diet with really good protein sources are the best.

Lovely, clean food. Very minimal, if any, processed foods. Lots of fruit, veg, seeds, nuts, and your chosen main protein source. Little starch or heavy carbs. :)

DinaAG
August 10th, 2012, 09:04 AM
low carb, fats + rich in vitamins foods, fruits, nuts, alot of water

Silken
August 10th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Vegan, organic, whole foods, unrefined, non processed. I either eat raw or cooked from scratch at home. Hair grows like weeds, lol.

Alva
August 10th, 2012, 10:50 AM
My choice isn't here, which is simply no diet, but balanced intake from all sources. Even sugarcontaining products. My body needs them or I will start shedding.

akilina
August 10th, 2012, 10:56 AM
I always figure the best diet is the one that works out best for you.

I like the idea of a diet that is very well balanced and healthy, NOT skimping out on anything you truly need in your nutrition, rather than a specific "diet plan"

I like what Alva and millyaulait said. :)

TheMechaGinger
August 10th, 2012, 11:09 AM
I put paleo, I eat non-processed foods and no wheat or sugar (the unnatural kind) and lots of saturated fats. I do eat butter, cream and full fat yogurt though so not so much paleo on that front. Since I started doing that my hair grows like a weed, a really shiny healthy weed haha! I do lo-carb paleo right now because I'm working on losing weight but when I get to my goal weight I'll probably slowly start putting a couple carbs back in like fruit or sweet potatoes

~BoHemiAngel~
August 10th, 2012, 02:05 PM
I put "paleo" since my ideal choice wasn't there- the Weston A. Price diet. Essentially a modified Paleo diet of whole, unprocessed foods that includes some cultured dairy products, pasture fed meats and lots of healthy fats :)

More info: http://www.westonaprice.org/basics/principles-of-healthy-diets

AineMuirne
August 10th, 2012, 02:09 PM
I put paleo, I eat non-processed foods and no wheat or sugar (the unnatural kind) and lots of saturated fats. I do eat butter, cream and full fat yogurt though so not so much paleo on that front. Since I started doing that my hair grows like a weed, a really shiny healthy weed haha! I do lo-carb paleo right now because I'm working on losing weight but when I get to my goal weight I'll probably slowly start putting a couple carbs back in like fruit or sweet potatoes

I'm pretty much just the same as you. I eat fruit, since I'm not looking to lose weight, but I try to limit all fructose to less than 25g a day to prevent insulin resistance and to keep the acne off. I think we're at about the point where it's safe for my weight-losing boyfriend to eat potatoes again, so we'll get to add a few of those a month soon. We do eat beans once in a while (chili about once a month). And about once a month I make pancakes with rice flour. But yeah, severe moderation of non-vegetable carbohydrates.

I eat everything with 100% of its fat content and get lots of saturated fat, as well. Especially from lots of dairy! Average day is 90-120g protein and 90-140g fat (with ~40g of that being saturated fat). I only drink water and hot tea sweetened with a miniscule amount of honey. I would drink milk, but I hate the taste of it plain, haha. So I just eat lots of cheese. ;)

I also put paleo, even though my diet isn't -technically- a strict paleo, since there's tons of dairy and occasional legumes.

I put "paleo" since my ideal choice wasn't there- the Weston A. Price diet. Essentially a modified Paleo diet of whole, unprocessed foods that includes some cultured dairy products, pasture fed meats and lots of healthy fats

More info: http://www.westonaprice.org/basics/p...-healthy-diets

That is a great article! I guess that's the diet I've been following. ;) I'll definitely be linking that now instead of explaining to people what I eat and why.

~BoHemiAngel~
August 10th, 2012, 02:41 PM
That is a great article! I guess that's the diet I've been following. ;) I'll definitely be linking that now instead of explaining to people what I eat and why.

Great, I'm glad you liked it! If you have an interest in anthropology and/or nutrition, the background info on Weston Price's study of indigenous diets related to dental health is really interesting!

/end hijack ;)

ArienEllariel
August 10th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Well I'll just throw my two cents out here. I've noticed a huge difference in the growth rate of my hair over this past month simply from changing my diet to whole foods with little to no processed food and adding regular exercise. The exercise itself didn't do much when I tried it before but this seems to be making a big difference. Just saying. You are what you eat.

TheMechaGinger
August 10th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Not to prolong the hijack (Weston A. Price) or anything, but Sally Fallon is awesome. She has really cool lectures on youtube. Just sayin' :D

AineMuirne
August 10th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Not to prolong the hijack (Weston A. Price) or anything, but Sally Fallon is awesome. She has really cool lectures on youtube. Just sayin' :D

Ohhh I've seen her on Dr. Mercola's website (www.mercola.com), now that I think about it! Which is another great website. ;)

Silverbrumby
August 10th, 2012, 04:14 PM
The diet that works for me and my personal belief system.

lapushka
August 10th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Errr... Is there an option for us "regular", no particular diet, normal carb, meat eaters out there? I'm also with millyaulait, and Alva on this.

jeanniet
August 10th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Normal. A regular, healthy, moderate diet. Although I think it depends--I've had periods where I've had a really crappy diet, and it didn't make one whit of difference to my hair, but I'm not going to tout that diet! :p

elbow chic
August 10th, 2012, 05:39 PM
I don't think it matters unless you are straight malnourished. I've seen great heads of hair on people who subsist on Cheetos and Budweiser.

Tristania
August 10th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Fatty fish and nuts.

jojo
August 10th, 2012, 06:06 PM
I just eat a normal balanced diet, sometimes not so balanced but hey ho! Everything in moderation is fine. I am a great believer in a little of what you fancy does you good.....ask my hips they agree ;)

arielįgua
August 11th, 2012, 10:29 AM
It really doesn't matter what type of diet you have, as long as you consume all needed nutrients: protein, carbs, vitamins etc etc...even oils are necessary. Everything in moderation, I guess. Ehehe ^^

domisimone
August 11th, 2012, 12:18 PM
I alternate between raw vegan, vegan, and vegetarian. I shed less and my allergies are better when I eat raw.

Amber_Maiden
August 11th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Well, I'm a gluten free vegan, and have been a vegan for over 6 years now (gluten free vegan for 3 years). I haven't noticed much change in my hair, so I'm happy :) It's always grown like a weed.

PoppyCakes
August 13th, 2012, 03:47 AM
Paleo diet for hair, how silly.
Definitely vegan!

florenonite
August 13th, 2012, 04:51 AM
Given that most people's choice of food takes into consideration something more than just hair, I think it would be very hard to assess what sort of diet is best for hair. For instance, I've been a vegetarian for nearly a decade, which suits me on the whole just fine. I don't know if it's any better or worse for my hair, though, because I didn't pay much attention to my hair ten years ago.

On the whole, though, hair is healthiest when the body is healthy, so whatever diet works to keep an individual healthy will probably be the best for the hair.

Of the Fae
August 13th, 2012, 05:10 AM
Whole foods works best for my entire body, so it is probably also best for my hair. White bread and such are empty carbs, and thus pretty much useless for the body exept for a source of fast energy. Therefor whole wheat is better since it releases energy on a slower rate and contains fiber which is good for the colon and a few other nutrients. The same goes for refined white sugar and sugar within natural products such as fruit.
White sugar has no enzymes or nutrients, thus the body will use its own to digest it, which can leave one depleted of nutrients. This is why refined sugar is so unhealthy, not to mention the blood sugar levels rising and falling very fast.
I can imagine the hair would have energy to grow when the body has nutrients to spare.
It must not be in need, because the hair will suffer first.

Mesmerise
August 13th, 2012, 05:13 AM
I started paleo/primal almost a month ago and my shedding has gone WAY DOWN. Seriously! Even when I wasn't having a massive shed (which I've had a few of over the past couple of years) I was losing a lot of hair. But WOW!

So I go paleo for sure :D.

Oh, and before I was a vegetarian, eating what I thought was a healthy vegetarian diet. So yeah, I dunno what it is... but I haven't lost this little hair in a loooooong time.

It will be a good 12 months before I really see the results though (hopefully in increased circumference).

AineMuirne
August 13th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Paleo diet for hair, how silly.
Definitely vegan!

How is it silly? It's just a whole foods diet that excludes grains and legumes.

Everyone is different, though. Some people need a higher ratio of vegetable carbohydrates to meat, some need it reversed. But being realistic, everyone needs a bit of animal product. There is NO replacement for proteins, fats, and vitamins like B12 from animal products.

swearnsue
August 13th, 2012, 08:29 AM
I try not to eat processed food or fast food but sometimes I just crave something from McDonald's dollar menu! And Marie Callender pie. Papa John's The Works pizza. But other than that I eat simple meat, veggies, nuts, a little fruit, whole grain bread, dairy and supplements.

Mesmerise
August 13th, 2012, 05:25 PM
How is it silly? It's just a whole foods diet that excludes grains and legumes.

Everyone is different, though. Some people need a higher ratio of vegetable carbohydrates to meat, some need it reversed. But being realistic, everyone needs a bit of animal product. There is NO replacement for proteins, fats, and vitamins like B12 from animal products.

Yeah, I can't see how it's silly either :rolleyes:. My hair has seriously STOPPED shedding since I went paleo. It's seriously the ONLY thing I can think which could have made a difference. It actually surprises me HOW much less hair I am losing now (even though I wasn't in a "shedding" stage before, but losing what seemed like a regular amount of hair).

Sure my hair hasn't grown enough to see any major improvements, but I can't see how adding extra healthy fat or protein to the diet (and removing grains etc.) could have a NEGATIVE impact on hair! It's definitely not what I'd call silly (and I find that a little offensive, to be honest...).

I would think a "silly" diet for hair would be one that relied on junk and processed food, not one that emphasised whole foods!

jillosity
August 13th, 2012, 05:45 PM
I voted raw foodism, which is for the most part (of course there are exceptions!) a whole food diet. I ate raw for about 8 months and my hair grew like never before. I've been a vegetarian for 26+ years and seldom ate meat before that, I can't remember anymore how my hair grew back then. My hair has always grown pretty fast, but I never measured before I discovered LHC.

meteor
August 15th, 2012, 09:51 AM
But being realistic, everyone needs a bit of animal product. There is NO replacement for proteins, fats, and vitamins like B12 from animal products.
I totally agree! Besides, most archaeologists agree that our ancestors were "preferentially carnivorous", meaning they were vegetarian only in tough times, when there were not enough animals available as food.
Mesmerise, I had exactly the same experience as you with paleo diet: wonderful for hair thickness and shine... plus, great effect on skin and nails too.
I am actually a bit surprised that so many people believe vegan diet is best for hair. Vegan can be good as detox, or to lose weight, or as a transition from a junk food diet... but good for hair? How? :confused: Hair needs good oil production (sebum), protein (keratin), which can get compromised in purely vegan diet.