PDA

View Full Version : Pins that stay in very slippery hair?

Lilli
August 10th, 2012, 07:36 AM
I have bobby pins (the kind that are pinched shut) and U-shaped pins in two different thicknesses and both slide right out of my hair. Are there pins that are rubbery or something that won't slide out? My hair is BSL now and I can wrap my two braids over my head but cannot figure out how to pin them to stay. My hair is mostly straight, very fine, very slippery.

Kelikea
August 10th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Scunci makes no-slip grip bobby pins and oval pins--available at Walgreens, drugstore.com and Amazon and many other places.

browneyedsusan
August 10th, 2012, 08:16 AM
my hair is super-slippery too! I asked for LHC help when I started pinning up my bangs and they slid out in a few minutes :mad:!

I got 2 good pieces of advice:
1) Put some AVG in first
2) Put a teeny-tiny dab of oil it about an hour or 2 before you put it up. The oil soaks in and makes it grippier.

I will be following your thread; my slippery hair will probably get hard to deal with as it gets longer and heavier.

Lilli
August 10th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Scunci makes no-slip grip bobby pins and oval pins--available at Walgreens, drugstore.com and Amazon and many other places.

What is an oval pin?

neko_kawaii
August 10th, 2012, 08:26 AM
My hair spits out anything but spin pins. Have you tried those?

Kelikea
August 10th, 2012, 08:27 AM
What is an oval pin?

You can google it for a pic, but to me it looked similar to a u-shaped pin. The main difference in the pins is the rubber grips they put on them to prevent slippage.

Madora
August 10th, 2012, 10:03 AM
I have bobby pins (the kind that are pinched shut) and U-shaped pins in two different thicknesses and both slide right out of my hair. Are there pins that are rubbery or something that won't slide out? My hair is BSL now and I can wrap my two braids over my head but cannot figure out how to pin them to stay. My hair is mostly straight, very fine, very slippery.

Here's an article on how to use hairpins:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=20

Getting pins to stay put depends on how you insert them. You don't just stick them in. The pins will fall out fast if you do that.

The two braids over the head can be secured by several crimped hairpins.

Hold the braids so that they lay flat and flush to each other at the top of your head, then pin both together in the center with one hairpin, then go down the front braid a little bit and pin again and repeat on the other side of the front braid.

Then repeat for the braid in the back. If you follow the suggestions in the tutorial...and "weave" in the hairpins, you'll find that your braids will be secure and comfy. You might have to experiment as to size and how many you'll need.

Bobby pins are meant for tiny wisps of hair. They are not meant to secure anything remotely heavy.

moxamoll
August 10th, 2012, 10:07 AM
I think about the only thing that Madora and I don't agree on is pins! I just cannot make U-shaped or Amish style pins work. :rolleyes: However I love spin pins! I use the larger Goody pins for buns and the 3 or 4 of the smaller ones to hold crown braids, Flutterby's, etc. Practice and experimentation will help you figure out which works best for you!

Angela_Rose
August 10th, 2012, 10:07 AM
As Madora put it- it's how you insert a pin, not the pin you use. If you just jab yourself in the head without any, like, weaving, you're going to drop pins like an angry porcupine.

I use the Amish hairpins (http://www.prayercoverings.com/catalog.php?item=211&catid=27&ret=catalog.php%3Fcategory%3D27), and I find they work like a dream. I have a lot of very thick hair, so I use the 3" size, but it still takes some wriggling and some 'weaving' to make sure they stay in the 'do all day.

browneyedsusan
August 10th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Here's an article on how to use hairpins:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=20

Getting pins to stay put depends on how you insert them. You don't just stick them in. The pins will fall out fast if you do that.

The two braids over the head can be secured by several crimped hairpins.

Hold the braids so that they lay flat and flush to each other at the top of your head, then pin both together in the center with one hairpin, then go down the front braid a little bit and pin again and repeat on the other side of the front braid.

Then repeat for the braid in the back. If you follow the suggestions in the tutorial...and "weave" in the hairpins, you'll find that your braids will be secure and comfy. You might have to experiment as to size and how many you'll need.

Bobby pins are meant for tiny wisps of hair. They are not meant to secure anything remotely heavy.

Madora, you are a goldmine of information. Thanks for sharing.

Madora
August 10th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Madora, you are a goldmine of information. Thanks for sharing.

You're very welcome, browneyedsusan!

I think the only difference between the Amish hairpin and the 3 inch crimped pin I use are the crimps (waves). I've never seen an Amish pin in person so don't know if they are heavier or not.
I like the crimps because they provide just a tiny bit more protection with the crimps than a straight pin does.

Good Days Hairpins are also very good...but I find them a bit pesky when taking them out. Maybe its because I haven't used 'em that much. But they hold like a rock and are comfy too.

jeanniet
August 10th, 2012, 12:54 PM
I find crinkled Amish pins work better than the straight ones. The 3" pins are the best length for anything but fairly short hair.

Dovetail
August 10th, 2012, 12:57 PM
How intersting! Totally loving the pin how to link.

I was going to mention hair taping too :) which is sewing your hair up with a ribbon.

silverpiper
August 10th, 2012, 01:57 PM
I never get hair pins to stay in my hair. I use tiny jaw clips.

haibane
August 10th, 2012, 02:33 PM
I never get hair pins to stay in my hair. I use tiny jaw clips.

Hehe, I came here to post this. :p

I've had no luck with pins (and I've tried a lot of different types, including amish, U-pins, spin pins...) but nothing works except tiny claw clips.

SerinaDaith
August 10th, 2012, 02:45 PM
I am a total bobby pin addict. I cannot wait till my hair is long enough to really use them again as it is right now I make an X with them to keep pesky unruly hairs out of my face by parting my hair and twisting it back on both sides (like a French twist without the tuck) then X of bobby pins on both sides, it is not a super tight look but I cant stand headbands and it keeps me from contemplation of shaving my head again.

ladyfey
August 10th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Yeah, no matter how careful I am about inserting any hairpin - it doesn't stay. I also have super slippery hair and am approaching mid-calf length. I just use claw clips for crown braids, for buns I swear by Ketylo hair sticks.