PDA

View Full Version : Touching your hair

Perididdle
August 9th, 2012, 09:21 PM
So, long story short, I damaged the crud out of my hair through HS and didn't care about shampooing correctly/with the right stuff. I could never run a hand through my hair -- it was waxy, gross, and would catch on my fingers and get nasty. In college I had a "come to jesus" moment that involved cutting out chunks of hair that felt like hay and lots of conditioner. And tears.

Once I figured out a few basic hair care rules, I was amazed to find that I could run my fingers through my hair. Revelation! Now that I can, I do it...constantly. I love feeling my healthy ends (especially now that I've discovered the world of CWC!), I love ruffling it back to let the waves refall, I like twisting locks around my fingers. On shampoo day I've started to do scalp massages to move oil through the lengths, which I will do anyway, but it's just one extra touchy thing.

Is this...really bad? I know that when I have some curls, it'll kill those quickly. And of course too many fingers makes lots of oil. But aside from style woes, will it hurt my hair? I just am so in love with it now, I don't know if I can stop.

akilina
August 9th, 2012, 09:53 PM
I have this issue too really bad!
I can seriously sit there for hours fiddling with my hair-even worse- I don't even realize I do it.
My boyfriend and mom are constantly giving me crap like "ooh no wonder your hair won't get long you touch it all day!!"
SO, I really do not know -_- I don't notice any breakage from this. I am sure it is some form of "mechanical damage" ;/

Perididdle
August 9th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Ahhh, let us share the pain! I do notice a few of my friends do it, too, so I know we're not alone. My biggest issue is taking one of my front locks and sort of just run it it over a spot on my cheek/chin/lips. It's something I do absently in class, during tests, etc. Not sure why, it's just so soft and lovely.

I mean, anything at this point is kinder than the daily flatiron with no protection, but still...

Rufflebutt
August 9th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Maybe some mechanical damage. Just make sure that you aren't too rough and you should be fine.

Ravenwind
August 9th, 2012, 10:03 PM
I think to an extent it can cause damage. But definitely nothing as severe as heat or chemical dye damage. But I definitely know the feeling of achieving smooth hair for once and wanting to touch it all the time xD

akilina
August 9th, 2012, 11:13 PM
I do the same with a front piece and run it in between my lips. I can't help it. I have tried to stop but I simply can not. I don't see anything TOO wrong with it though :D
When I was a little girl I used to suck on my hair when it was wet out of the shower...I do not do that now, but I guess the bad habits started many many years ago for me.

Dang3rousB3auty
August 10th, 2012, 03:09 PM
My hair is usually up so I can keep touching it, otherwise I know I would be touching. I knew a girl who chewed on her hair all the time. She always had these spitty wads that had been in her mouth haha. I had no clue why she did that, maybe it felt soothing like sucking your thumb.

I try to keep my hands away from the general vicinity of my head and face if at all possible.

I wouldn't think it would it would be a problem, only if you were being very rough with it.

Charybdis
August 10th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Fingercombing is my primary method of detangling. Never noticed any problems.

spidermom
August 10th, 2012, 03:47 PM
I usually wear mine up, too. That keeps me from fiddling with it too much.

I find it really unpleasant and distracting to spend time with somebody who is constantly twiddling around with their hair. I want to shout "stop!" I'm sure I'm not the only one. I would think that you wouldn't want to be constantly fiddling with hair while at work. I'd see that as unprofessional.

dwell_in_safety
August 10th, 2012, 04:54 PM
If I wore my hair down... Oh my. Part of the reason I always have it up is so that the worst I ever do is kind of pet myself. lol. Especially times like this, where I just moved from a house with horrid water, and am rediscovering the softness and shine my hair actually has. It's like silk to the touch.

I'd advise wearing it up maybe 4-5 days of the week, just to start, to cut down on mechanical damage.

Lostsoule77
August 10th, 2012, 05:18 PM
I think if you are doing this all day long everyday it would cause some mechanical damage. Like others have said, you should try wearing it up a few days a week. That is if you want really long hair. By the time the ends get that far down you want them to have as little damage as possilbe.

march_sun
August 10th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Oh I do the same thing. I wouldn't say that it causes significant damage, but I still try not to touch often.

laceyfairy
August 10th, 2012, 06:12 PM
I usually wear my hair in one or two braids. Is it okay to fiddle with the ends? Hair is so fun.

lacefrost
August 10th, 2012, 10:58 PM
Awww. I just want to say that this is such a great problem to have! Loving your hair so much that you're touching it too much! Congratulations!

earthnut
August 10th, 2012, 11:40 PM
It might cause a little mechanical damage, but not near as much as a comb or brush. Running your lingers lengthwise is fine. Rubbing your hair sideways, frictioning the strands against each other, is bad.

Your natural oils are GOOD for your hair. :)

It will break up curls and therefore cause more frizz, but that's not necessarily a bad thing... just depends on the look you want.

ManeSqueeze
August 11th, 2012, 05:27 PM
I don't think it should be doing a ton of damage, especially if you're petting it like a soft ribbon or a piece of silk.

Unfortunately I have to keep my hair up if I'm trying to be professional because I tend to play with my hair ALL THE TIME if it's down, and I either look like I'm nervous or I'm a valley girl (even if I'm just doing it because it feels nice and is soothing).

That's actually one of the reasons why people say that when you're interviewing you should put your hair away from your face so you don't play with it.

Then again, I probably did it a bunch more than you are. I used to be a thumb sucker, and then hair twirling took its place when I got head gear.

Oh! I'm sure scalp massages definitely won't harm your hair, in fact they should make your hair happy :D

AineMuirne
August 11th, 2012, 05:42 PM
I run my hands over mine all the time and finger comb it often and such, and I don't have any damage from it. I think you're fine to do so! XD Just be gentle, of course.

swearnsue
August 11th, 2012, 06:26 PM
I like to take a small section and make it smooth and then twirl it around into a long smooth twisted strand. I try not to do it too much and I never play with my hair when I'm in public, only when I'm relaxing at home. Petting the cat though is my favorite comforting thing but you know how cats are...they have to be in the MOOD to be petted. Silly kitty, she just jumped up next to me and wants attention! Gotta go...

sloth
August 11th, 2012, 06:42 PM
I fingercomb my hair throughout the day, and I've noticed that I tend to mindlessly pet the top of my hair while I'm driving. The top inch or two of my hair isn't heat or bleach damaged and it feels so soft and nice, I can't help touching it!

anikadear
August 12th, 2012, 06:27 AM
I'm a twirler, so I keep mine up all the time. I used to cause a lot of tangles and knots from all the twirling so I just resorted to keeping my hair up.