PDA

View Full Version : My henna and color oops experience (pics)

akilina
August 9th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Mods and others alike- I apologize if these pictures are rather large...I re-sized them on photo bucket but for some reason they appear large to me.
Usually once I post the post, they are the right, small, size.

Before:
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k5/OLLLLY/DSC06549.jpg
After:
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k5/OLLLLY/DSC06774.jpg

Sooo I had 3 full on henna applications on my head and I am ready to remove as much of it as I can, and match a color close enough to my natural so I can grow out my natural color for a bit. I want to have the health and beautiful pearly shine of my natural color for once :]

The after pic was after doing 3 color oops applications, of about 2-3 hours each. The first color oops application was completely nullified because I did a soap bleach cap afterwards and developer in my bleach cap caused the molecules to re-oxidize. Completely pointless and I was really mad at myself. My hair was almost as dark as when I started. The bleach action was completely cancelled out. So there is a lesson, do not let any peroxide come near your hair for atleast a few days.

I did two more though over the last two days.
I am done using color oops at this point and I will try to match it to my roots as well as I can.

Of course, things always look better in real life. I would say that in real life, my results are much better than the pictures make it out to be ;] It is actually lifted to about a level 8 on top, and more like a 7 on bottom, which is perfect because I will be covering it all with a Level 8 light blond/brown ash.

I will be doing some honey treatments over the next week or less In hopes that after a few, I may experience a little bit more lightness. I am giving my hair a rest though at least until sunday, then I shall start the honey treatments, Although, mine will be in the form of a modified SMT (just conditioner and honey) I would add aloe but I don't want to cut all the arms off my poor aloe plant.

Tips for you:
-Go cone free for at least a week after color oopsing.
-Don't let any hair dye or anything with peroxide touch your hair for a few days!
-No matter how long you rinse, it is very possible that there will be a few stubborn molecules left.

and one more:

-My hair is still in great condition. Its only a tiny bit dry. I will say though, I experienced a horrible shed when rinsing. Very. Bad.
I know though, that it is DESPERATELY seeking protein, but I am avoiding cones for a few more days. My only protein-ish things are coney.

Vivalagina
August 9th, 2012, 08:32 PM
I actually love the lighter color. :) If you want protein but don't want to use your cone-y project, have you ever tried a gelatin protein treatment? Very basic ingredients, quick and easy and works very well (for me).

http://scienceyhairblog.blogspot.com/p/recipes-and-projects.html

Tia2010
August 9th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Wow that lightened up a lot! I can't wait to see your final results. :)

akilina
August 9th, 2012, 09:32 PM
I actually love the lighter color. :) If you want protein but don't want to use your cone-y project, have you ever tried a gelatin protein treatment? Very basic ingredients, quick and easy and works very well (for me).

http://scienceyhairblog.blogspot.com/p/recipes-and-projects.html
Cool, thanks for the link! :D My mom likes the color too. It is cute, but not on me. It doesn't really go well with my already pinkish complexion in my face. I am ridiculously tan everywhere else and a little tan on my face... I almost feel like my skin and my hair are the same color! All bad! lol. I am really excited to finish off this process, although I will be doing so with chemical dye.
I have considered using a darker richer color on the underneath as a shadow for now to help give a thicker appearance...It would blend really nicely with growing out my natural color and would be easy to just get rid of from it washing out on its own.

Wow that lightened up a lot! I can't wait to see your final results. :)
Thanks :) I will definitely post pictures when I am alllll done.

Ravenwind
August 9th, 2012, 09:52 PM
Great results :) I would try this again but I didn't like what it did to my hair the first time I tried it and I have about 3 inches of my natural hair color grown out, so I'm not sure what color oops would do to it o.o

akilina
August 9th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Great results :) I would try this again but I didn't like what it did to my hair the first time I tried it and I have about 3 inches of my natural hair color grown out, so I'm not sure what color oops would do to it o.o
Well it would do absolutely nothing to your natural roots :]
The rest though...most likely a coppery color like mine.
I don't want to color oops ever again I don't think. I love the stuff and it is great, but ehhhhh. My hair is just DRY now, and I shed...sooo much. It is almost depressing but I am just wearing it up and not touching it. In most cases, it seems a color correction is needed afterwards. I am just freaking out on the inside that the color I got won't be good enough. It is possible that after the color correction, I will have to touch up my roots with an even lighter color for a few months, then I will feel good about just growing. I am not in a huge rush for having my natural color, as it will take forever as is. I simply can not have two toned hair...or hair that looks funky in a bad way.

akilina
August 10th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Well, I am starting to hope all this is even worth it....
I am becoming worried that the color I got will not be good enough.
I am also considering I really might have to do a shadow underneath with something more like a level 6. It might even be cute.
I still really want to grow out natural...I guess it is all just a process and I have plenty of time, I just tend to get very impatient.

Hgunderman
August 10th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Well, I am starting to hope all this is even worth it....
I am becoming worried that the color I got will not be good enough.
I am also considering I really might have to do a shadow underneath with something more like a level 6. It might even be cute.
I still really want to grow out natural...I guess it is all just a process and I have plenty of time, I just tend to get very impatient.

I think it was all definitely worth it :) i know the process is a pain (and it smells so bad! My house still stinks) but the pictures show so much change! How long are you going to wait to dye it (sorry if you already mentioned this, I may have read the above posts too fast)? I'm interested in adding an ash tone over the color I got, but I don't want to ruin any results I got from the color stripping.

akilina
August 10th, 2012, 03:38 PM
I think it was all definitely worth it :) i know the process is a pain (and it smells so bad! My house still stinks) but the pictures show so much change! How long are you going to wait to dye it (sorry if you already mentioned this, I may have read the above posts too fast)? I'm interested in adding an ash tone over the color I got, but I don't want to ruin any results I got from the color stripping.
No worries at all :D I didn't really solidly mention when. Right now I got my honey treatment on my head (honey, condish, and some vatika coconut oil) I might get my own honey and stop stealing it from my moms house and do this for a week or so. Or less, being my impatient self.
Im going to a roller derby bout next saturday and I don't want my hair to look Effed up like this. I might just leave it though for as long as I can stand. If I still have this hair a week from now..no big deal. I am getting a new room mate today. I guess he will have to see all the weird things I do to my hair.
Haha I am getting a TON of compliments Im like ohh nooo this isn't the final result yet!

Isilme
August 10th, 2012, 04:33 PM
You know, it is really pretty. My dream colour which I can't seem to achieve without peroxide.

akilina
August 10th, 2012, 05:00 PM

I am truly irritated. I just did a honey and no cone conditioner and a few drops of coconut oil treatment...and my hair is dark again. -_____- I don't know what to do now. I guess I will have to settle with a darker color, and then touch up my roots over time lighter and lighter until it is simply my natural color :/

lapushka
August 10th, 2012, 05:02 PM
akilina, are you sure a level 8 is going to cover the copper? I'd rather say a darker blond, even a lighter ash brown, but then... IDK, I'm no expert. :shrug:

ratgirldjh
August 10th, 2012, 05:06 PM
I wonder if the honey had peroxide release? did you heat it up first? Could this be what turned it dark again?

Is it dark orange? Or back like before?

I liked the orange! I had my hair almost that exact color one year - it was called 'Mango' and it was a box dye.

Good luck. I think that adding another color underneath is a great idea. :) Perhaps thought since it is dark you could lighten sections and add another color in?

march_sun
August 10th, 2012, 05:13 PM
I wonder if the honey had peroxide release? did you heat it up first? Could this be what turned it dark again?

That was what I was thinking :(

Hgunderman
August 10th, 2012, 05:25 PM
No worries at all :D I didn't really solidly mention when. Right now I got my honey treatment on my head (honey, condish, and some vatika coconut oil) I might get my own honey and stop stealing it from my moms house and do this for a week or so. Or less, being my impatient self.
Im going to a roller derby bout next saturday and I don't want my hair to look Effed up like this. I might just leave it though for as long as I can stand. If I still have this hair a week from now..no big deal. I am getting a new room mate today. I guess he will have to see all the weird things I do to my hair.
Haha I am getting a TON of compliments Im like ohh nooo this isn't the final result yet!

Haha, I was called a redhead the other day after I had started Color Oops and I was like "Nooooo! I don't want to be one, I thought it was going away!" lol. You'll definitely have to keep me posted on whether putting dye on your hair makes it turn redder. If you have successes, I'm tempted to throw in some blonde highlights or something just to take out some more red!

MzMarty
August 10th, 2012, 05:46 PM
I'm also curious to hear how much the color darkened.

If henna'ed hair has had a Sun-In treatment, is Color Oops still ok to use later on?

SerinaDaith
August 10th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Color oops was the reason for a big chop many years ago, in the pre lhc years. My hair was just past BSL and I went to a really short not pixie but shaggy mop thing. Stupid hairdresser had no idea how to deal with my hair.

akilina
August 10th, 2012, 09:29 PM
I will take another photo for you guys in the natural light

Honestly now, I am not sure if it got darker or not. If it did, only barely. I was worried about the honey doing that and I should have heated it up.

As for an 8 being dark enough? I simply am not sure. I am more interested in the light brown ash part. My hair is more like a level 6 on bottom, maybe a 7 on top :)

I will definitely do a strand test though before hand on a few different parts of my hair. If anything I could always use the 8 on top, and something like a 6 on bottom and let it all blend in as it grows.

Anapeli
August 11th, 2012, 01:25 AM
Your hair is naturally a light ash brown? If your ends are darker than your natural hair, I would use an 8 on the dark and 6-7 mix for the lighter areas. At the end, to even it completely, how about adding a toner for just a little bit for evenness? Ok, I am NOT a hair stylist so take this advice with a grain of salt. Whatever you do, don't add that "unred packet " thats added to hair dye you can buy at beauty supplies. It made my hair DARK. I really think, if you're willing to go a little darker than your natural hair color, you will get better results. I actually wanted an ash blond (I don't know why, it would look awful on me) but the orangy color isn't covered as well when i use lighter dyes. Look for blue base, green or neutral. Even blue base have a little red in it but cools things up a bit. I hope it works well for you! Post pics!

Anapeli
August 11th, 2012, 01:29 AM
Why did I just tell you all this stuff when you are a hairdresser! I feel like an idiot! Well, ditch that "grain of salt" into the sea!

I just read the friendly hairdresser note under your name. Duh!

akilina
August 11th, 2012, 02:19 AM
Why did I just tell you all this stuff when you are a hairdresser! I feel like an idiot! Well, ditch that "grain of salt" into the sea!

I just read the friendly hairdresser note under your name. Duh!
No worries at all :D
I am naturally really light ashy pearly blond. I hope that an 8 with added ash all over Does the trick :/ I will be soo frustrated and I will probably just want to dye my hair all black again as always.
Hopefully it all goes well! :] Seriously hoping for the best...I will wait a few days though before doing anything.

Anapeli
August 11th, 2012, 02:46 AM
I hope so too! Patience! Acting on impulse get us into a heck of alot of trouble! Let us know! Don't do black! You know it will be just a few weeks when you'll want to do something drastic again!

Hgunderman
August 11th, 2012, 10:06 PM
I agree that patience is best :) I know my henna decision was impulsive and that ended up being a bad decision :/

I have an appointment wednesday at a very good salon in town to get my hair bleached....the Color Oops got my hair to a good place but for me, it's not quite enough. I know I may end up sacrificing some of the length, but I just want to know, just for myself, that I tried everything I could to get rid of the henna! I plan on getting it bleached, and then dyeing my natural color over it. Will let you all know how it goes :)

mrs_coffee
August 12th, 2012, 07:55 AM
You got such good results! I did one Color Oops and, I think, re-colored too quickly, but my impulsive self went back to henna anyway so it doesn't matter. Next time I'm ready for something else, though, I will do more than one Color Oops. Thanks so much for posting pictures. :)

akilina
August 12th, 2012, 01:29 PM
You got such good results! I did one Color Oops and, I think, re-colored too quickly, but my impulsive self went back to henna anyway so it doesn't matter. Next time I'm ready for something else, though, I will do more than one Color Oops. Thanks so much for posting pictures. :)
Yay Im glad the pics helped!
I am frustrated at this point because it is slowly redarkening. Definitely not even as close as dark as it was to begin, but it definitely is darker now. I don't know if it is just toning down a bit and appears darker??
Ugh. I have a lot of frustrations with it at this point thats for sure.
Either way I am too pissy with whats going on in my life the last few days to even care :/