PDA

View Full Version : Hempseed oil going bad while in hair?

niaiman
August 9th, 2012, 04:35 PM
So I bought hemp seed oil not too long ago and I used it on freshly washed hair. Fresh out the bottle it smelled very grassy which was fine. Maybe 20 mins after I used it, it smelled like old hot fishy codliver oil. The smell was so bad I decided to just use it as a DC next time. So when I did my DC I used it along with a few other oils and the next morning I rinsed it out, stepped out side the smell was horrendous. The next day I washed using Dr. Woods Almond Castile Soap and conditioned with Avalon Organics Biotin condtioner went out side there was the smell. Came back in shampooed my hair twice, went outside the smell was back. I decided to use my wen sweet almond cleansing conditioner and let it sit for 10 minutes and finally the smell was gone. I washed the scarf I used while DCing a couple days ago, I put it on and went outside and bam the smell was back. I threw it away. I cannot take the smell of it, and it doesn't leave that or coconut oil. I'll end up smelling like a bag of extra buttery pop corn. I think I'm the only one who had a horrible ordeal with it but I'm just wondering, Is hempseed oil one of the oils that go bad when exposed to air?:confused:

furnival
August 9th, 2012, 04:42 PM
I just had a quick Google and although I can't find anything concise enough to link to, it appears that yes, hempseed oil goes manky very quickly when exposed to air. :(

gnome82
August 9th, 2012, 04:54 PM
I'm sorry this has happened to you. I love using hemp oil on my skin but haven't been brave enough to use it on my hair, (the brand I have at the moment is rather strong smelling). I have a feeling that it does change when exposed to light, as it is stored in a dark bottle. Hope you find your answer soon.

jillosity
August 9th, 2012, 05:48 PM
It needs to be stored in the refrigerator, and it naturally has a pretty strong smell which can be unpleasant all by itself. Perhaps cut it with another carrier oil, or add a few drops of an essential oil to distract from the hemp smell.

Also, mix in tiny quantities or store your mix in the fridge. good luck!!

niaiman
August 9th, 2012, 05:53 PM
I used nutiva hempseed oil and I kept it in the refrigerator and I'm guessing since it was on my head and not in a cold area it started smelling gross.

niaiman
August 9th, 2012, 05:55 PM
And Thank You jillosity,gnome82 and frurnival