PDA

View Full Version : Ingredients in shampoos and conditioners?

lole18
August 9th, 2012, 04:23 PM
I just found out that the shampoo and conditioner and leave in conditioner i've been using contains lots of bad ingredients.. but i mean the shampoo and conditioner are ok because i'll rinse them off with water and i only shampoo and condition 2 or 4 times a week.. but the leave in? i stopped using it and i have another one these are the ingredients should i use it or buy something else and what should i avoid & look for? :) ingredients in the leave in are aqua\water cyclopentasiloxane proplyene glycol dimethiconol quaternium-87 phenoxyethanol peg-192 apricot kernel glyceriders peg-70 mango glyceriders limonene linalool benzyl salicylate 2-oleamido1,3-octadecanediol, alpha-isomethyl ionone,acrylamide\ammonium acrylate copolymer methylparaben butylphenyl methylpropional citronellol citrus limonum lemon fruit extract coumarin hexyl cinnamal parfum fragrance (i think this is the least worse of all the ones i have because it doesnt have sls or silicone or alcohol but it does have fregrance and im not familiar to the other ingredients if theyre bad or not so help me pls) :cheese:

Tisiloves
August 9th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Quite frankly, if it's working for your hair it's not bad. Although some people are worried about the health effects of parabens.

furnival
August 9th, 2012, 04:35 PM
It looks like there are two silicones in the ingredients, dimethiconol and cyclopentasiloxane...
Not sure if they're the water-soluble ones or not.

lole18
August 9th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Quite frankly, if it's working for your hair it's not bad. Although some people are worried about the health effects of parabens.

no my hair is really damaged and it falls a lot so im guessing this is the reason? because i keep switching products and they have similar ingredients i dont know what to buy to moisturize my hair!

lole18
August 9th, 2012, 04:38 PM
It looks like there are two silicones in the ingredients, dimethiconol and cyclopentasiloxane...

so its bad :( what should i use to moisturize my hair then :confused:

Tisiloves
August 9th, 2012, 04:41 PM

Cyclopentasiloxane like all cyclo-cones evaporates.

Dimethiconol is classed as easily removed by anionic surfactants, but is not inherently build up resistant. If you're not having a problem, though, there probably isn't one.

ETA Hi Brave :waving: Thanks for mentioning that cones aren't bad, I keep forgetting that not everyone loves them like I do.

brave
August 9th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Silicones aren't necessarily bad. Dimethiconol is not water soluble, neither is the cyclopentasiloxone, though that one will evaporate off your hair throughout the day so it doesn't matter.

Frankly the leave-in doesn't look that bad. If it works for your hair and you occasionally clarify, keep at it unless you are avoiding cones. If you're avoiding cones though, avoid them everywhere -- just because you're rinsing your shampoo and conditioner off doesn't mean everything comes off with that.

swearnsue
August 9th, 2012, 04:42 PM
The silicones don't really add moisture to your hair anyway, they make your hair silky feeling. Do you ever use oils like olive or coconut? Even baby oil used on damp hair can help alot. You could do deep oilings once a week and that might be enough along with the conditioner you are using.

Tisiloves
August 9th, 2012, 05:03 PM
The silicones don't really add moisture to your hair anyway, they make your hair silky feeling. Do you ever use oils like olive or coconut? Even baby oil used on damp hair can help alot. You could do deep oilings once a week and that might be enough along with the conditioner you are using.

Silicones do act a little as humectants, and are excellent at sealing in moisture.

petali
August 9th, 2012, 05:30 PM
mineral oil is apparently good for moisture retention.
Also, ACV (apple cider vinegar) rinses close the cuticle (It's what I heard), so less moisture is lost.