PDA

View Full Version : hair curving over neck, should I use a hair straighter?

mazza
August 9th, 2012, 11:26 AM
my hair is starting to curve or sometimes flare around my neck i.e not behaving. its about 11cm long from the back, the hair is ending towards my neck. its not long to go straight back. I would eventually like it to but, might not happen for some time. I got my hair parted to one side until its long enough to flow back.
bit nervous using a straighter as I never had to use one and I need to go and buy one but havent got a clue what to look out for? should I even buy a straighter?
I am using johnson and johnson baby shampoo, its the only shampoo that doesnt cause my scalp to act bad after two months of use. should I change shampoos? and for condition I am using pantene smooth and sleek.

I heard you can use sunsilk straighten up to make hair more straighter from the back after wetting the hair but not seen this stuff in the UK but are there alternative brands to this?

ravenreed
August 9th, 2012, 12:07 PM
From what I understand, flat irons are pretty damaging. I have never used one... I guess it depends on how long you want to grow your hair and how much of a hurry you are in. You might be able to get the same effect with a blow dryer, with perhaps less damage if that is your goal.

Baby shampoo isn't formulated to be good for hair, it is formulated not to burn a baby's eyes if it accidentally gets in them. Have you tried a non-SLS shampoo to see if that helps? I switched to CO method to get away from shampoo, but not everyone has success with it.

akilina
August 9th, 2012, 12:37 PM
I would not go as far as to damage your hair just to make it look better.
If sounds like the real issue may be your hair cut paired with your hairs wave pattern...

Madora
August 9th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Straightening your hair is not hair healthy. Be patient and let it grow longer. It is better for your hair to let nature do her thing than to alter your hair structure, which can lead to all sorts of unpleasant things.

ouseljay
August 9th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Maybe instead of straightening you could use some hair friendly clips or a headband or something to get more the look you want? Otherwise, just try to be patient, don't straighten it. From what I understand, most people who are growing out from a short cut have a length at which their hair just doesn't cooperate or look all that flattering.

fairview
August 9th, 2012, 01:07 PM
There is an awkward stage that this will happen simply because our neck shape encourages the hair to flip up and out. There are two very similiar cutting technique that an be used that will help lessen the problem and not reduce your length.

1. The next time you have your hair trimmmed, tell your stylist that when the first two sections of hair is dropped at the nape to use the fine tooth end of the comb and the remaining sections use the wide tooth end. all sections are cut at the same length. The fine end will create some tension so that when the hair is dry it will 'spring' up a little bit. The remainder of the hair cut with the wide tooth end and will have had less tension applied when cut so when it dries it won't spring up near as much.

2. The first section is dropped and cut with moderate tension and zero elevation. The next section that is dropped is cut with moderate tension but is slightly elevated and the first section is used as the guide. Remaining sections that are dropped are with minimal tension cut at your desired length which will be slightly longer than the first two sections.

The first method is pretty safe for those cutters that are afraid of or do not understand over direction and elevation. The second gives a very slight graduated cut on the first two sections. It's fancier and looks better. Both will encourage the hair to suck up against your neck.

lapushka
August 9th, 2012, 01:17 PM
A styling tool of some sorts had to be used on my hair until it was around, say APL or so. I did not feel guilty in the least. If that's the only thing that will "tame" your hair, I say go for it, but be very careful as it can incur a lot of damage. I did have damage but it was trimmed off at around hip (when I reached it the first time round).

mazza
August 9th, 2012, 02:24 PM
thanks guys for all the excellent information. I definitely take in the information and look up for non-sls shampoos and stay away from flat irons. I was never keen on the straighteners and was always aware it was going to do some form of damage.
I could make a small finger length pony tail but again, is this going to damage my hair? sorry for the noob questions I am a total newbie. just worried about looking too messy when I am going to interviews.

I guess the other thing was to mentioned a hair mouse, I did have some pantene strong hold but this stuff never works on hair that is too curved. but I think just gotta be patient like people have said.

1nuitblanche
August 9th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Making a small ponytail with a snagfree hair band probably won't do too much damage to your hair. It would definitely be better than using a straightner.

Maybe you could do a single or double french or dutch braid? Before my hair is long enough for other updos, I can usually do those two¸ and they are super protective.

ouseljay
August 9th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Ponytails can be damaging, but usually only if you're doing them very very tightly, with damaging elastics, or every day in the same spot. Too tightly can break hairs, especially if you pull the ends of the ponytail to tighten the elastic. Putting the elastic in the same spot every day can weaken the hairs in that spot. You'll want an all-fabric elastic, nothing rubber and no little metal bits that will catch on hair. So you're probably fine if you're doing ponytails for interviews.

Madora
August 9th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Ponytails can be damaging, but usually only if you're doing them very very tightly, with damaging elastics, or every day in the same spot. Too tightly can break hairs, especially if you pull the ends of the ponytail to tighten the elastic. Putting the elastic in the same spot every day can weaken the hairs in that spot. You'll want an all-fabric elastic, nothing rubber and no little metal bits that will catch on hair. So you're probably fine if you're doing ponytails for interviews.

Excellent advice, ouseljay!

Also, ponytails can create Tangle City in short order, which means you have to detangle every so often. In turn, this can lead to damage from detangling, if you aren't careful.

It is more hair friendly to wear your hair up or braid it. An occasional ponytail is fine..but not a day to day style.

pink.sara
August 9th, 2012, 05:10 PM
The flip really can't be avoided at that length sadly, I'm a 1a/b and have not a trace of wave, but at shoulder it flipped everywhere.

I confess I did straighten for interviews and going out until APL, but I'm dealing with damage now at BSL because of it.

Ponies and peacock twists with claw clips were my go to styles to look tidy in work without damaging.

DinaAG
August 9th, 2012, 07:05 PM
im having the same problem and i will make a permanent hair straightening even i dont advice it, have u considered updo's or soft hair styles? or letting it go curly?

Perididdle
August 9th, 2012, 07:20 PM
There are a lot of great suggestions here, but just as an aside, I'm of the mindset that if a flat iron is the only way you're really happy with your hair...then go for it, carefully. There's no use to all this hair love if you don't, well, love your hair! You could always do it just when you feel you need to look particularly pulled together. Buy a good damage protector spray (obviously this doesn't help everything, but you can at least try) and keep pumping strength and moisture into it. There's a difference between doing it every day and occasionally taming that awkward stage around the neck and shoulders.

You could also dampen the area and blow dry with a comb or brush to style. Cool or medium will still let you control the shape of the hair and do less damage.

battles
August 9th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Mine did the awkward waves and flips at that length also. It will pass. :)

I remember around that length I did a lot of double "bunny tails", half pulling the hair through a hair tie so it looks like a spiky bun. That was probably what kept me from cutting it at that point until I could put it into a normal ponytail with a flexi-8. Just try to keep it up and forget about it as best you can until you're past the awkward stage.

Miss Catrina
August 9th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Don't bother. It will damage your hair and most likely not even work. When hair starts hitting your shoulders at all, it flips out, and nothing can really stop it.

vanillabones
August 9th, 2012, 08:56 PM
I wouldn't straighten, just ride it out, you will be glad you did later :)

SoulOfTheSea
August 9th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Sounds like maybe you got a bit of wave hiding in there perhaps? I think Annibelle had this similar problem. Turns out she just had wavy hair! I also never used to emphasize my waves, and had this problem all the time when I was younger.

Have you ever thought about that possibility?

mazza
September 7th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Hi guys

Just thought I give an update. I having problems putting on the snag free hair band. I never put one on before. The problem seems to be is, it feels a bit too tight or Iam doing the method to tie it wrong.
Just to give you guys an example on how tight it feels. If I wrap the hair band twice on my single finger, it feels tight but theres give to put in another finger. If I wrap the hair band again with two of my finger it feels firm but I can stretch it put to put in a total of four fingers if that makes sense?

However, I did find this guide:
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Ponytail

I can do all steps fine but on step 6, I dont know how to double loop it. Any tips to help me?

Anje
September 7th, 2012, 01:09 PM
On step 6, you want to take the loop of the hair elastic, and twist it once. Then pass the hair through it again. Play with the elastic on your fingers a little so you can see how to switch it from an O shape into an 8 shape.

Oh, and DO NOT do step 8. That's one of the sources for most people's ponytail damage. If the hair is secured too far away from your head, just make the ponytail again but closer.

SpinDance
September 7th, 2012, 01:31 PM
You've already gotten good advice on most things, so I shan't repeat it. However regarding the shampoo have you tried diluting a regular shampoo? I'm currently working my way slowly through a bottle of Suave Naturals Strawberry shampoo. I put about a tablespoon in a cup of water, mix well and use that. This dilution used a couple times a week lasts me for 2-4 months.

As for the elastic, the link shows it wrapped around twice. To get that twist put your first finger and thumb through the circle, then rotate your forefinger and/or hand to make 2 loops. Pull the hair through that second loop, keeping the tension on the first one to hold the hair in place. Depending on the size used and the thickness of your hair you may need more than just 2 loops. You can practice with a simple rubber band around something, even your finger, to get the motion down.

katfemme89
September 7th, 2012, 01:43 PM
How about using small sponge rollers at the nape of your neck to curl the hair IN rather than having it flip out?

hermosamendoza
September 7th, 2012, 03:42 PM
using a flat iron once in a blue moon (literally every three years lol) won't hurt it if you protect it right. but in he end you might like the straightened look and do it all the time. I agree with other to try to use clips or hair-friendly hair ties. etc. The more you wear it up the less you'll notice how fast its growing. one day you'll take it down and be like...woh where did all that hair come from? lol

thatcrazychick
September 7th, 2012, 05:48 PM
At that length, I often used a flat metal barrette and did a half-updo (http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/136_6799073161_3252_n.jpg). Using a clip like this (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/2153I6Cl2aL._AA300_.jpg), that doesn't have a spring or a hinge (like this one) (http://www.veilubridal.com/metal-wire-combs-veils/metal-barrette-base302.jpg) makes it so much easier too... no snags.

barely.there
September 7th, 2012, 08:22 PM
ahh yes. the mullet. I remember. It sucketh. but only for a few months :)