PDA

View Full Version : How to keep myself from getting scissor happy?

Rufflebutt
August 9th, 2012, 08:02 AM
So, I have a problem. I've been trying out microtrimming to help even up my fairy-tale hemline(I'm sorry, I'm not a big fan of them.) and my layers. I'm also growing out black dye and I'm using it to very slowly get rid of that dyed portion.

However I've been getting a little scissor happy and I've been trimming almost every two weeks. My hair is slightly shorter now than it was.

Bah. How do you guys hold off from trimming? Should I lock my hair scissors somewhere and forget about them? Any tips to keep your mind off of it?

Lady Neeva
August 9th, 2012, 08:09 AM
1) Cut all the layers out.
2) Suddenly gain an interest in Hairtoys. :smile:

Chromis
August 9th, 2012, 08:13 AM
If you are trying not to cut it then put your hair up and leave it alone. Easy peasy!

Rufflebutt
August 9th, 2012, 08:13 AM
1) Cut all the layers out.
2) Suddenly gain an interest in Hairtoys. :smile:
What?! If I were to do that, I'd have should length hair. XP Nope.

But I have been keenly looking at some hair toys. My hair has to be up for work so most of the time my hair is in a bun held by my only hair stick. But I need variety. :P

MinderMutsig
August 9th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Set a schedule and hold yourself to it.

You could schedule to microtrim every first day of the month, follow a lunar chart (I know there are some enthusiasts on here for this and there's a thread about it), trim the first day of the changing seasons, once a year on your birthday, whatever you want. But schedule how often and how much you'll trim and hold yourself to it.

That way when your ends get scraggly you can console yourself with the knowledge that it only takes X days before you get to even it up again.

I used to trim the first day of a new season but recently started monthly microtrimming but trimming less. I end up trimming less and my hemline is better for it so I'm very pleased with the result.

Lady Neeva
August 9th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Theoretically, hemline is more important than length, so why not even the hemline earlier on so you don't have to worry about hemline later?

Falcore
August 9th, 2012, 08:21 AM
You could utilise the calender option on this forum.

Lock in what day you'd like to trim - say every two months or however long you'd be happy.

Decide on a what a amount e.g.1/2 inch.

Hold out on it like you would if you only take a photo once a month etc.

And Mr calender will give you a reminder (and permission) when to trim!

Oh, yes and hide those scissors. Get someone you live with to hide them until the decided date you're allowed to trim. :)

Rufflebutt
August 9th, 2012, 08:22 AM

You could schedule to microtrim every first day of the month, follow a lunar chart (I know there are some enthusiasts on here for this and there's a thread about it), trim the first day of the changing seasons, once a year on your birthday, whatever you want. But schedule how often and how much you'll trim and hold yourself to it.

That way when your ends get scraggly you can console yourself with the knowledge that it only takes X days before you get to even it up again.

I used to trim the first day of a new season but recently started monthly microtrimming but trimming less. I end up trimming less and my hemline is better for it so I'm very pleased with the result.

For now, first day of every month sounds ideal to me since my aim for the moment is to get my hair healthy and not to grow quite yet. It's nearly hip length, so I shouldn't have too much issue with feeling that it isn't long enough. It's mainly my thin, damaged ends that I worry about.

Theobroma
August 9th, 2012, 08:25 AM
My solution is to put it up and forget it. A good updo (preferably secured by a nice hairtoy) hides a multitude of woes.

Then, as people have already said, create a microtrimming schedule by whatever rules you like best, and ONLY trim when your schedule allows.

Audrey Horne
August 9th, 2012, 08:25 AM
I'm a compulsive trimmer and that'S what I do: 1) either throw them away :scissors: or 2) ask someone to hide them really well. It actually helps when you're tempted.

kitekats
August 9th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Switch to trimming only when it's the correct moon phase:scissors:, in the spare time go with oiling;)

Delila
August 9th, 2012, 08:27 AM

This worked for me. Planning out the number of trims I'd have in a year was a big help.

I usually used the Morrocco Method calendar to pick a date, and then just stick to it.

For me, trimming three times a year or less was a huge help.

Nowadays I keep track of self-trims in my blog, and try not to trim more than three times a year. (I keep a separate category for self-trims, so I can track them more easily)

Hiding the scissors? Well, theoretically, it worked for a while, then I couldn't FIND the scissors I'd hidden so well and bought a new pair. (Sure enough the old pair reappeared soon after, LOL!)

Another thing that's helped my haircare in general has been to plan out a haircare routine and stick with it. The less I handle my hair, the better, apparently.

MinderMutsig
August 9th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Theoretically, hemline is more important than length, so why not even the hemline earlier on so you don't have to worry about hemline later?
Not all hair grows at the same pace so without trimming it will eventually start to fairytale and go uneven. It depends on your hairtype how soon your ends will start looking scraggly.

An even hemline is also not the most important thing to everyone. Some prefer fairytale ends, some don't mind scraggly ends as much as loss of length. I know at BSL I'm only just starting to be able to do different kinds of buns due to thickness. Trimming now so my hemline will be even would set me back months, I wouldn't be able to do any buns or updos and within a month my ends will start to look scraggly again and need microtrimming.

MinderMutsig
August 9th, 2012, 08:33 AM
For now, first day of every month sounds ideal to me since my aim for the moment is to get my hair healthy and not to grow quite yet. It's nearly hip length, so I shouldn't have too much issue with feeling that it isn't long enough. It's mainly my thin, damaged ends that I worry about. Nearly hip at 26"? The world is so unfair. I'm 29" and barely past BSL. :(

Bene
August 9th, 2012, 08:35 AM
This is how I deal with big chop fantasies:

- Hairtoys. You get a big enough collection, and cutting all your hair off will seem stupid considering the investment. Take an inventory, tally the cost, then imagine the regret when you realize that kind of waste it will be if your hair is short.

- Clarify. Whenever my hair is being a jerk, and I'm convinced it's damaged, I clarify it and oddly enough, that takes care of it.

- Hair treatments/experiments. Deep conditioning, crazy concoctions, different products. After the hours of pampering and waiting, and it comes out feeling nice, a trim seems ridiculous.

- Elaborate buns. Pick one that requires serious length. That's a goal to work towards.

- Tilt head way back. "This is where my hair COULD be if I leave it the f**k alone!"

Rufflebutt
August 9th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Nearly hip at 26"? The world is so unfair. I'm 29" and barely past BSL. :( I'm only 5"2 inches tall. :P But I love being short! I feel so petite and feminine.

MissAlida
August 9th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Trim you ends to the point where you like them. Then leave them alone for good. When you feel like you don't like your hemline anymore, trim again. I have trimmed weekly, until I got it right. From then, I haven't touched a pair of scissors.:)

LaurelSpring
August 9th, 2012, 09:18 AM
I was doing monthly microtrims on the Full Moon. Now I am doing every other month to get some more growth. I have the problem also of trimming too much. It seems like I keep wanting to even it up and take off more than I intended. I have to force myself to take a very tiny nip at the ends and then put the scissors away. Otherwise I will make myself crazy.

Tia2010
August 9th, 2012, 10:57 AM
I'm also quite scissor happy. I just like the feeling of freshly trimmed ends... but I really need to stop that if I want long hair :p I will never reach my goal if I don't!

So now I'm trying to trim by the moon. So I will only do one trim every 4 months on a predetermined day. Knowing I get to trim should help me not over trim....And hopefully I will just do a microtrim opposed to a few inches at a time :rolleyes:

Who would have thought just growing hair would be this hard :p LOL

akilina
August 9th, 2012, 11:08 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=75468

The OP in this thread really really helps me when I want to get scissor happy.

Madora
August 9th, 2012, 01:02 PM
So, I have a problem. I've been trying out microtrimming to help even up my fairy-tale hemline(I'm sorry, I'm not a big fan of them.) and my layers. I'm also growing out black dye and I'm using it to very slowly get rid of that dyed portion.

However I've been getting a little scissor happy and I've been trimming almost every two weeks. My hair is slightly shorter now than it was.

Bah. How do you guys hold off from trimming? Should I lock my hair scissors somewhere and forget about them? Any tips to keep your mind off of it?

Relegate your urge to cut by daily S and D sessions. Resist the urge to cut unless your hair really needs it.

Learn how to do more updos. The more the better! Here's one for starters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

PS You might want to look into using a few drops of mineral oil to keep your ends moisturized. (Use on damp hair..only 2 or 3 drops at most). Leaves your hair soft, shiny and supple with no after scent.

blondie9912
August 9th, 2012, 03:27 PM
If you have damage, I would trim it all off now if you can. Otherwise, wear your hair up and hide your scissors! When I kept mine in my bathroom cabinet, I gave myself a microtrims nearly daily, lol!

jacqueline101
August 9th, 2012, 03:33 PM
I agree to wear it up forget about it and trim maybe once a month.

dwell_in_safety
August 9th, 2012, 03:38 PM
I can only ever share what works for me. I trim off 0.5-1" the first day of every third month. For me, that's the first of January, April, July, and October. This keeps me gaining quite a bit of length overall while keeping my ends in top shape and losing chemically dyed hair.

Other than that, I keep my hair up every day ('cept when it's drying of course). Out of sight, out of mind. I'm always surprised at the length.

catamonica
August 9th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Just put it up & forget about it. Also, ask yourself, how long do I want it to grow? Aren't you curious to see how long you can get it? Mines at hip. I want to see how long I can get it. Hip
length is the longest I have ever had it. I'm dyeing to see how long it will grow.