PDA

View Full Version : Shedding - how to reduce/worried

joflakes
August 8th, 2012, 04:22 PM
So I have been a bit worried about my level of shedding for a few weeks now. I get shed hairs every time I touch my hair. I just sat and ran my fingers through it for 5 minutes and then counted the shed hairs and there were 100. This is worrying me as I don't have super-thick hair as it is. I also shed a lot in the shower this morning, probably about the same amount again.

It's freaking me out. Help? :( :flower:

spidermom
August 8th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Look to your health habits first - eating, drinking water, sleeping, exercise; things like that. If you can make improvements, do so. If you can see a doctor for blood count and chemistries, do that, too.

I recall that you've been under some stress in recent weeks to months, and that can certainly bring on a shed. Change the things you can, learn to flow with the rest. Maybe yoga or some other relaxing activity?

Good luck!

(me and my dog are both shedding like crazy at the moment; I think it's normal)

joflakes
August 8th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Look to your health habits first - eating, drinking water, sleeping, exercise; things like that. If you can make improvements, do so. If you can see a doctor for blood count and chemistries, do that, too.

I recall that you've been under some stress in recent weeks to months, and that can certainly bring on a shed. Change the things you can, learn to flow with the rest. Maybe yoga or some other relaxing activity?

Good luck!

(me and my dog are both shedding like crazy at the moment; I think it's normal)

Thanks for the reply. I have been a bit more stressed than usual, yeah.

My diet is great - I'm vegan and take supplements and home cook 90% of the food I eat. I exercise minimum of 1 hour a day of walking. Sleep isn't great but that's a product of my job...I drink a lot, but of late my caffeine intake has increased. Probably should try to curb that and go back to herbal teas more.

I could visit the doctor, yeah. I'll keep on counting it for a few days/week and see how it is.

Relaxing might help indeed...I shall certainly try but as you remembered, I have a bit of a plate full at the moment.

Aww! Well maybe I am normal after all. Hehe. I remember sometime around this time last year having a shed but I had 2-3 inch long hair so I didn't notice as much or pay as much attention! :o

akilina
August 8th, 2012, 04:41 PM
I think this just happens from time to time. I don't believe there is really any way to keep the strands in your head. You just have to let nature run its course sometimes :(
I am currently experiencing HORRID shedding because I just used color oops. It was horrifying just now to watch so many hairs go down the drain. I guess they were meant to shed anyway sometime soon though. It might be bad enough that I will have to trim a few inches :(

spidermom
August 8th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Make sure you give some thought to your health habits. If there's room for improvement, do it. If you can afford to have your blood count and chemistries run, do that also.

But it really is natural to shed lots of hairs from time to time. Me and my dog have made a competition out of it lately, I think. We had a few hot days and now the hairs are jumping off us! I don't know if that's the cause, but oh well.

P.S. - If memory serves, you have been under no small amount of stress in recent weeks/months, it seems. That can certainly push the hairs right off your head!

joflakes
August 8th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Waah! Double posted this somehow. Oops. Mods, help!

Asprettyasme
August 8th, 2012, 05:04 PM
#error

#An error occurred.

joflakes
August 8th, 2012, 05:07 PM
I had this problem before,, but the difference between u and me is that I was bleeding to death slowly from my menstrual cycle. R ur iron levels low? If this is so, then u may want to start taking iron pills before u become bald headed. If its not as serious but u still need some iron you can take prenatal pills (which is what I take) with iron in them to help ur body get back healthy and ur hair get strong again. If ur health is perfectly fine then here is some things u can do. U can get some MSM (pills) and u can take them. Ur hair go through 3 phases: growing phase, resting phase, and shedding phase. MSM makes the growing phase last longer and stop the shedding phase. U can also take some biotin and fishoil but idk if its going to help with shedding. Well,, fishoil is suppose to help stop balding so u may want to look into it.

Iron levels are fine, I take a supplement which has it in. I have some MSM pills (I think) at home but when I took them before they made no difference! Fish oil I won't take as I am vegan, but I can always up my flax intake to get omega oils.

I definitely don't think I am balding just yet :laugh: but thank you!

Ephemeral
August 8th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Iron levels are fine, I take a supplement which has it in. I have some MSM pills (I think) at home but when I took them before they made no difference! Fish oil I won't take as I am vegan, but I can always up my flax intake to get omega oils.

How long did you take the MSM? Supplements require 3 - 4 months before you might see results. That being said, my shedding stopped in the first month that I started MSM; I take 3000 mg.

PrettyFit
August 8th, 2012, 05:45 PM
That sounds scary!

I agree that stress makes hair shed like mad. I went through that a few years ago. There is research on the effectiveness of yoga on reducing stress -- so I agree with Spidermom on that as well.

When it happened to me, I started taking Biotin supplements, which seemed to help. Also, I notice that I shed less when I apply castor oil to my scalp the night before wash day.

I hope it gets better soon.

spookyghost
August 8th, 2012, 05:51 PM
I feel your pain. I understand that shedding is natural and is going to happen. But with me, and maybe you too, its the fact that this is the most I have ever shedded. Thats the part that bothers me about my shedding. I have fine hair so its not thick to begin with. I am going to get bloodwork done just to be sure nothing is wrong in that area. Right now I just started taking garlic supplements and black currant oil supplements which are both suppose to help stop or slow down hair shedding. I have high hopes for them but even if it didnt help with my hair they have many other health benefits. Good luck! And if you find anything that helps-please share!

Silverbrumby
August 8th, 2012, 06:22 PM

Did you start the pill recently or go off it?

Stretching washes?

CO only washing?

joflakes
August 9th, 2012, 12:32 AM
How long did you take the MSM? Supplements require 3 - 4 months before you might see results. That being said, my shedding stopped in the first month that I started MSM; I take 3000 mg.

About 2 months I think. Maybe not long enough :o

I feel your pain. I understand that shedding is natural and is going to happen. But with me, and maybe you too, its the fact that this is the most I have ever shedded. Thats the part that bothers me about my shedding. I have fine hair so its not thick to begin with. I am going to get bloodwork done just to be sure nothing is wrong in that area. Right now I just started taking garlic supplements and black currant oil supplements which are both suppose to help stop or slow down hair shedding. I have high hopes for them but even if it didnt help with my hair they have many other health benefits. Good luck! And if you find anything that helps-please share!

I shall! Thank you. I eat a lot of garlic anyway so no point me taking garlic pills, hehe.

Did you start the pill recently or go off it?

Stretching washes?

CO only washing?

Neither.

I waited from Friday to Wednesday to wash my hair but not intentionally...the shower was broken!

No CO washing...just S&C with Faith in Nature products.

Silverbrumby
August 9th, 2012, 01:04 AM
Despite the prevalent attitude that women don't (and shouldn't) lose hair, it is more common than many of us think. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, androgenic alopecia or hereditary hair loss-the most common type-affects approximately 30 million women (and 50 million men) in the United States. Contrary to popular belief, you can inherit a tendency to lose hair from your father, your mother or both parents. But for women with the diagnosis isn't always so simple. Hormonal shifts, nutritional deficiencies, certain medications, stress, and major illnesses can also be the culprits.

Finding the cause

When a woman experiences significant hair loss, the first thing to look at is hormonal shifts. Has she just had a baby? Is she perimenopausaul? Because shifts in levels of estrogen, progesterone and testosterone affect hair growth and anything that upsets the balance of those hormones can trigger fallout.

In fact, the primary instigators in hereditary hair loss are hormones. Between the ages of 12 and 40, an increased sensitivity to androgens, a family of hormones that include testosterone, begins to cause hair follicles to shrink and deteriorate. Hair grows in thinner and eventually stops growing altogether. For women, the loss isn't usually as great as it is in men because women produce less testosterone.

If hormones don't explain the shedding other factors may be present. Has the women had any surgeries or major illnesses or has she's been crash dieting? When the body is under significant stress, the hair shifts into a resting phase to help conserve resources. The metabolism slows down, the hair starts to fall out and it doesn't grow back as quickly. Even something as simple as a high fever or a severe bout of the flu can trigger the resting phase, and some people may even notice hair loss as long as three months after such an event.

Even women who feel they have reasonably healthy diets sometimes face nutrition-related hair loss. Inadequate protein is a really common factor. Many women who have shunned meats but don't replace their protein intake with other available sources. They often pass up protein sources such as nuts and cheese because of the high calorie content. As a result, these women often become dependent on carbohydrates. Women who suffer from protein related hair loss often experience other symptoms such as lowered immunity, fatigue, and blood sugar imbalances.

In rare cases, a hair-loss problem is more elusive and possibly more serious. Hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism, iron deficiency, diabetes, and lupus can all trigger hair loss. Medications can also contribute to hair loss. Most women aren't aware that more than 290 drugs are known to cause or contribute to hair loss, including some antidepressants, blood thinning agents, amphetamines, birth control pills, and drugs that treat hypertension. One natural supplement-vitamin A-also contributes to hair loss, but only when taken at ten times the recommended amount for an extended period of time.

Treating hair loss

There are a number of natural therapies to address the underlying causes of hair loss. Diet is where you should start. Of primary importance is adequate amounts of protein which, for a moderately active female would be 4 to 6 ounces of protein-rich foods per meal. Fish, poultry, and vegetable sources are better than beef and pork because of the latter's saturated-fat content. Take essential-fatty-supplements, such as flaxseed, evening primrose. Avoid cod-liver oil as to many sources are rancid and they act like a free radicals which can cause cellular damage.

Particular vitamins and minerals can also stimulate hair growth and help treat the underlying causes of hair loss such as stress. So take a good food source multivitamin containing the B vitamins biotin, B6, and B12; zinc; and selenium. Because of the levels of these vitamins and minerals in multivitamins are sometimes inadequate, you may add 10mg biotin, 50 to 150 mg B6, 1,000 mcg B12, and 30 to 60 mg zinc, along with 2 to 4 mg copper and 200 mcg selenium.

If the underlying cause is hormonal try phytoestrogens, progesterone-stimulating herbs or herbs that regulate the menstrual cycle such as Progesterone Cream with Phytoestrogens, Soy Isoflavones, and Chaste Tree.

Because certain hairstyles and styling products can damage hair, we recommend avoiding perming, dyeing, wearing tight hats, and pulling hair too tight over the scalp (in clips or elastic bands). Use hypoallergenic hair products to avoid irritating ingredients.

For Beth, whose hair loss was related to perimenopausal hormonal shifts, and her hair returned fully with the use of Progesterone Cream with Phytoestrogens. We encourage you to have patience. Once you address the underlying cause, it's likely your hair will return, if not in full then at least to some degree. It may take as little as four weeks or as long as six months to see regrowth and hair may have a different texture when it growns back after menopausal shifts but, it will grow back.

Tips for healthier hair

Eat well and avoid crash diets. A balanced diet along with a high quality vitamin is one of the most important ingredients for healthy hair.
Chemicals in perms and some dyes can be rough on your hair in the long run, so use them as little as possible. Consider natural hair dyes and styles that complement your hair type.
Protect your hair from the elements by using products that contain natural sunscreens, such as wild pansy and coffee extracts.
After swimming in a pool, take extra-good care of your hair by washing and conditioning it thoroughly because chlorine is extremely damaging to the hair and scalp.
If you believe your hair loss is from hormonal shifts most women do well using Progesterone Cream with Phytoestrogens.

COPY AND PAST FROM INTERNET

joflakes
August 9th, 2012, 01:12 AM
Thanks, Silverbrumby.

I am vegan and have been eating less tofu and nuts/seeds etc recently. I'll try to up my protein and see if it helps.

Will also look into all the other things as well!

Thank you so much.

MonaMayfair
August 9th, 2012, 04:37 AM
Excellent post Silverbrumby!

Joflakes, if I were you I would get tested for thyroid issues just in case. It's just a blood test.
Some foods make the thyroid even more under active, tofu is one of them (soya) and if by chance you do have this problem, eating tofu will make it worse.
I had to give up eating a lot of healthy food when I developed hypothyroid!
I lost a lot of hair. I get recurrent sheds even though I'm on medication, I'm going through yet another at the moment.

MintChocChip
August 9th, 2012, 04:45 AM
Thank you joflakes for starting this thread! :) I've been shedding like crazy too for a few weeks and it's nice to see what everyone thinks!

joflakes
August 9th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Excellent post Silverbrumby!

Joflakes, if I were you I would get tested for thyroid issues just in case. It's just a blood test.
Some foods make the thyroid even more under active, tofu is one of them (soya) and if by chance you do have this problem, eating tofu will make it worse.
I had to give up eating a lot of healthy food when I developed hypothyroid!
I lost a lot of hair. I get recurrent sheds even though I'm on medication, I'm going through yet another at the moment.

Thanks. I will get tested. I know when I was a bit under the weather a while back my thyroid was under active/borderline.

Thank you joflakes for starting this thread! :) I've been shedding like crazy too for a few weeks and it's nice to see what everyone thinks!

No worries!

How has it been today for you?

Alva
August 9th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Just my 2 cents, but I disagree on the statement a vegan diet is healthy and that stuff gets replaced by supplements. I would look into that as a first thing. When I was on a strict diet, I lost tons of hair, over 500 a day, when i am on an average diet, with enough variation there's no shedding, at most 50 hairs a day. This is just my personal experience and whenever I see the combination of a vegan diet and shedding this rings bells for me. Sure there are seasonal sheds, that come and go, and there might hormonal issues like alopecia androgenetica, but the lather goes slowly and is noticable only on the top. If there is diffuse shedding, it more likely has to do with seasonal shedding or bad eating habits and thus lacking certain vitamins/minerals. I truly believe long time use of supplements as a replacer for certain types of food is not beneficial for health in the long run.

joflakes
August 9th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Just my 2 cents, but I disagree on the statement a vegan diet is healthy and that stuff gets replaced by supplements. I would look into that as a first thing. When I was on a strict diet, I lost tons of hair, over 500 a day, when i am on an average diet, with enough variation there's no shedding, at most 50 hairs a day. This is just my personal experience and whenever I see the combination of a vegan diet and shedding this rings bells for me. Sure there are seasonal sheds, that come and go, and there might hormonal issues like alopecia androgenetica, but the lather goes slowly and is noticable only on the top. If there is diffuse shedding, it more likely has to do with seasonal shedding or bad eating habits and thus lacking certain vitamins/minerals. I truly believe long time use of supplements as a replacer for certain types of food is not beneficial for health in the long run.

Thanks for the reply.

My veganism isn't up for review, though. It's one of the few things I'm really opinionated on and won't change. Most of the nutrients I do get from my food and I only take supplements as a back up!

I guess I need to figure out a middle ground or hope it is seasonal.

Alva
August 9th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Yeah I didn't expect you to change that choice, so it isn't my intention to discuss your veganism, however I do feel it is needed to see this as a possibility too. What you do with that is up to you of course. Next to that one can never be sure if he gets all the nutiritiens they need by what is standing on bottles of supplements etc. Only blood tests can reveal the possible lack of that, so it would be worth having it tested maybe and if they indeed find something, to perhaps adjust it with alternatives that fit into your diet.

1nuitblanche
August 9th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Have you always paid this much attention to your shedding? If not, is it possible that you've just always shed a lot? I know that regardless of anything going on in my life, I shed more than most people and according to my doctor don't have any medical reason for it.

heidi w.
August 9th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Losing up to 100 hairs per day is considered normal. IF it's a fair amount more than 100, you may have a health issue that needs some investigation.

If hair is falling out in clumps that's a clear sign of a thyroid condition. Try not delay too much getting it looked at since thyroid issues can really mess with all of the body's systems. It's a simple drug screen panel that you have to have performed. Go to a licensed physician if you're working with this issue, too, not someone who's a crack at medical stuff.

The other thing to check is also for anemia. Anemia is when the blood is iron poor. Do not take medicine for anemia without a doctor's supervision and specific instructions. To check, again, this is a drug panel screen.

So if you think it might be medically related, get thee to a licensed physician and get stuff checked out. Then you can calm down once you have your answers.

I would recommend against filtering your hair through fingers or in any way touching your head. I would recommend that you detangle your hair each day, at least once a day. I would recommend you also wash your hair in somewhat tepid temperature of water. I recommend detangling prior to a given hair wash, and not piling the hair on top of your head as you wash your hair. I would recommend against detangling the hair while it is wet; try to wait til it's just about dry to even begin thinking about detangling at all. IF your hair is tangly, consider using a detangling spray.

Those are my suggestions that I think will likely help you somewhat. This may be a phase, or it could be a medical issue that needs checking. Heart problems, hormonal issues, thyroid, anemia...all require a doctor's attention to get it all straightened out. If you take some medicine, some medications can affect hair shedding and so on. Pregnancy affects hair's thickness, too.

Lots of stuff to know, but these are the basics.

I hope this is of some help. Consider detangling and then scritching your hair prior to a given hair wash.

heidi w.

heidi w.
August 9th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Yeah I didn't expect you to change that choice, so it isn't my intention to discuss your veganism, however I do feel it is needed to see this as a possibility too. What you do with that is up to you of course. Next to that one can never be sure if he gets all the nutiritiens they need by what is standing on bottles of supplements etc. Only blood tests can reveal the possible lack of that, so it would be worth having it tested maybe and if they indeed find something, to perhaps adjust it with alternatives that fit into your diet.

Veganism, vegetarianism doesn't work well for all people and many may have to reconsider this food choice or learn to adjust their diet for sufficient protein intake. Anemia means the blood does not have sufficient amount of protein. This is a common problem for many women, in particular. Anemia means an uptick in the shed rate, very often, and it's usually hard to track unless one counts their hairs. Just really examine your diet, and think a lot about how to add in a bit more protein. Anemia can go on unnoticed and until the hair is a lot thinner do most people realize they need to be eating more protein. Notice also that the solution is from the inside out. Nothing one does to their hair is going to fix this from the inside. It has to be an internal fix. You might benefit tracking your protein for a little while until you are set in your new way of eating.

I learned this a long time ago and the first time I suggested it to someone, she thought I was full of bullyhoo. But it's her life and her hair, and those of you who are vegans, vegetarians may well pay attention, especially if you're fairly young still--up to about age 25. But if you're older than 25, this can still be an issue for you. So just be aware.

I hope this is of some help,
heidi w.

Alva
August 9th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Veganism, vegetarianism doesn't work well for all people and many may have to reconsider this food choice or learn to adjust their diet for sufficient protein intake. Anemia means the blood does not have sufficient amount of protein. This is a common problem for many women, in particular. Anemia means an uptick in the shed rate, very often, and it's usually hard to track unless one counts their hairs. Just really examine your diet, and think a lot about how to add in a bit more protein. Anemia can go on unnoticed and until the hair is a lot thinner do most people realize they need to be eating more protein. Notice also that the solution is from the inside out. Nothing one does to their hair is going to fix this from the inside. It has to be an internal fix. You might benefit tracking your protein for a little while until you are set in your new way of eating.

I learned this a long time ago and the first time I suggested it to someone, she thought I was full of bullyhoo. But it's her life and her hair, and those of you who are vegans, vegetarians may well pay attention, especially if you're fairly young still--up to about age 25. But if you're older than 25, this can still be an issue for you. So just be aware.

heidi w.

I totally agree with this heidi, food choices can have a really big impact.

Shepherdess
August 9th, 2012, 03:19 PM

heidi w.

^I agree with this.

I also agree that you should have your thyroid checked, I have had trouble with my thyroid in the past and it can cause those symptoms.

Another thought. I was having trouble with hair loss when I stretched my hair washes to over a week. But I have found that washing with apple cider vinegar, and with some drops of lavender, rosemary and tea tree essential oils to the scalp, has really helped and my hair loss went down significantly.

Also, I have read that some people are affected by canola oil and it can cause large amounts of hair loss if used for cooking or in foods on a regular basis.

Maybe check for food allergies as well.

Hope this helps! :)

joflakes
August 9th, 2012, 03:21 PM

Yes that is true. Even if one were to take a supplement that says on the box 100% RDA of everything, there is something to be said for natural nutrients and also the question of what is getting absorbed and used by the body. I'll have a test, for sure! I just hope my doctor is understanding. I had to explain what a vegan was when I went to tell them about my change...:o

Have you always paid this much attention to your shedding? If not, is it possible that you've just always shed a lot? I know that regardless of anything going on in my life, I shed more than most people and according to my doctor don't have any medical reason for it.

Losing up to 100 hairs per day is considered normal. IF it's a fair amount more than 100, you may have a health issue that needs some investigation.

If hair is falling out in clumps that's a clear sign of a thyroid condition. Try not delay too much getting it looked at since thyroid issues can really mess with all of the body's systems. It's a simple drug screen panel that you have to have performed. Go to a licensed physician if you're working with this issue, too, not someone who's a crack at medical stuff.

The other thing to check is also for anemia. Anemia is when the blood is iron poor. Do not take medicine for anemia without a doctor's supervision and specific instructions. To check, again, this is a drug panel screen.

So if you think it might be medically related, get thee to a licensed physician and get stuff checked out. Then you can calm down once you have your answers.

I would recommend against filtering your hair through fingers or in any way touching your head. I would recommend that you detangle your hair each day, at least once a day. I would recommend you also wash your hair in somewhat tepid temperature of water. I recommend detangling prior to a given hair wash, and not piling the hair on top of your head as you wash your hair. I would recommend against detangling the hair while it is wet; try to wait til it's just about dry to even begin thinking about detangling at all. IF your hair is tangly, consider using a detangling spray.

Those are my suggestions that I think will likely help you somewhat. This may be a phase, or it could be a medical issue that needs checking. Heart problems, hormonal issues, thyroid, anemia...all require a doctor's attention to get it all straightened out. If you take some medicine, some medications can affect hair shedding and so on. Pregnancy affects hair's thickness, too.

Lots of stuff to know, but these are the basics.

I hope this is of some help. Consider detangling and then scritching your hair prior to a given hair wash.

heidi w.

Thank you so much Heidi. Your posts are always really useful! I'll try to put those into practice as well as getting checked out at the doctor's.

heidi w.

Very much helpful! I was veggie for 10 years of my life before and I got on okay with it, but I was quite reliant on Quorn and such which I no longer eat due to them having egg in. I think tracking my protein is a good idea! I hope there's some kinda app for my phone I can use to make it easier.

Thanks so much!

joflakes
August 9th, 2012, 03:21 PM
^I agree with this.

I also agree that you should have your thyroid checked, I have had trouble with my thyroid in the past and it can cause those symptoms.

Another thought. I was having trouble with hair loss when I stretched my hair washes to over a week. But I have found that washing with apple cider vinegar, and with some drops of lavender, rosemary and tea tree essential oils to the scalp, has really helped and my hair loss went down significantly.

Also, I have read that some people are affected by canola oil and it can cause large amounts of hair loss if used for cooking or in foods on a regular basis.

Maybe check for food allergies as well.

Hope this helps! :)

Yes! Thank you for all the helpful suggestions. :)

AineMuirne
August 9th, 2012, 03:37 PM
I also think diet has A LOT to do with it.

I used to shed a lot more than I do now and my nails would split. About a year ago I changed my diet to whole foods and cut out gluten, grains, soy, and vegetable oils (replaced with coconut oil, olive oil, and butter). I eat 90-120g of protein a day and ~100g of high quality fat.

I now only lose about 35 hairs a day (sometimes less) and my nails are stronger than they've ever been, even though I'm still just as much of a clean freak with hands in soapy water all the time.

Something else you can look into as a supplement is a teaspoon of extra virgin, organic coconut oil a day. It's just as good for eating as it is for putting in your hair. ;)

Silverbrumby
August 9th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the reply.

My veganism isn't up for review, though. It's one of the few things I'm really opinionated on and won't change. Most of the nutrients I do get from my food and I only take supplements as a back up!

I guess I need to figure out a middle ground or hope it is seasonal.

My girlfriend has been a vegetarian for 24 years and has a to die for mane of butt length flowing silky hair. It's not an issue for her. Me the meat eater... well lets just say I have many 'I really don't like my hair' days.

joflakes
August 9th, 2012, 04:13 PM
I also think diet has A LOT to do with it.

I used to shed a lot more than I do now and my nails would split. About a year ago I changed my diet to whole foods and cut out gluten, grains, soy, and vegetable oils (replaced with coconut oil, olive oil, and butter). I eat 90-120g of protein a day and ~100g of high quality fat.

I now only lose about 35 hairs a day (sometimes less) and my nails are stronger than they've ever been, even though I'm still just as much of a clean freak with hands in soapy water all the time.

Something else you can look into as a supplement is a teaspoon of extra virgin, organic coconut oil a day. It's just as good for eating as it is for putting in your hair. ;)

Thanks for the information! I try to eat a lot of wholefoods and only cook with extra virgin olive oil...my nails are awesome so I don't know! Coconut oil would be good but it is expensive...

My girlfriend has been a vegetarian for 24 years and has a to die for mane of butt length flowing silky hair. It's not an issue for her. Me the meat eater... well lets just say I have many 'I really don't like my hair' days.

:laugh: well that goes to show it is all down to the individual!

BlazingHeart
August 9th, 2012, 05:46 PM
When you're looking at veganism, my understanding is that there are 3 key items that the diet is often deficient in: protein, iron, and fat. All of those can cause hair loss. I'd say tracking your consumption for 3-4 weeks is a good idea. You don't have to worry about the occasional day where you're short of one thing or another as long as you average enough over each 3 day period.

Also, I think someone else mentioned that soy can cause problems with the thyroid. If you've been borderline in the past, you'll want to regularly have your thyroid checked if you're relying on soy.

If it's not out of your price range, adding some wheat protein into your diet might be helpful.

Also, much of the iron in supplements is in a form that's hard to absorb, ferrous sulfate. Have your blood checked for iron, and if you're low, look for ferrous gluconate supplements - they absorb much, much better.

You're also likely to be a bit low on calcium, sodium, phosphorous, and manganese, all of which the body requires in appropriate dosages as a vegan.

Finally, there are no vegan sources of B12. An insufficiency of B-12 can cause hairloss, among other things. That's another thing you should have your blood checked for. B-12 insufficiency can be quite dangerous, so it's important to have checked.

Lastly, make sure your doctor knows that you're vegan - they may have other things they want to test your blood for, to make sure you're not suffering from deficiencies that can be harmful to your health. Hairloss is often one of the first indicators of nutritional deficiencies, and one that can usually be reversed before much harm is done to the body.

(I have absolutely nothing against veganism and am not at all trying to talk you out of it; there are just some medical concerns that come along with that particular dietary choice. Personally, my body can't handle veganism because I already tend to be low on B12 and iron, among other things, when eating meat)

~Blaze

Logi Bear
August 9th, 2012, 06:42 PM

I went on a raw vegan diet (believe it or not using a feeding tube) not too long ago. Aside from bee products I was vegan, and the raw vegan diet raised my metabolism so much that I needed 4000 calories a day and as a result I also got 100g of protien a day because I aimed for 80% carbs 10% fat and 10% protein.

For the first time in my life my hair ALMOST COMPLETELY STOPPED shedding!!! Shed hairs were few and far between. My hair also grew an inch a month (much faster than my normal growth). My acne also cleared up, eventually my nails got stronger too, and overall I felt amazing on that diet. It made a big difference in my health and chronic illness.

I had to stop the diet when my Gi problems got worse becasue I went off of a medication. I am still on a vegan diet aside from rare bee products (still liquid and still dependent on a feeding tube). But I am getting less overall calories due to my gi problems, and although I am getting enough protein I am not getting as much as I was. Even so my hair still sheds far less than it ever did on a non vegan diet, and it still grows more quickly.

I think that many people attempt a vegan diet not fully understanding what they need to eat, or in what quantities. Its easy to become malnourished on any diet if you don't know what you are doing. But a vegan diet done properly can be amazing for your body (including your hair, nails, skin) ect.

AineMuirne
August 9th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Another consideration is everyone has a different nutritional type. Some people need mostly vegetable carbohydrates and some people need mostly animal proteins. This goes back to BlazingHeart's post regarding people being naturally lower in certain vitamins and minerals. B12 deficiency is a major known issue of veganism/vegetarianism. Some people can get around that and be healthy, others can't. A part of that could also be that people don't understand how to eat a vegan diet and get enough protein and fat (especially omega-3 fats).

I fall apart without 90g+ of animal proteins and fats. I also fall apart when I'm eating gluten and soy (or anything genetically modified).

Silverbrumby
August 9th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Case in point. I seem to need biotin in my diet for strong nails, skin and hair. Others don't need it and have found no benefit.

lole18
August 9th, 2012, 08:27 PM
try biotin? everyone says it worked for them i tried it for 2 months and it didnt work im hoping it will soon thouugh :) i wanted to ask if anyone knew which is best to thicken a hair strand other than castor oil is it olive oil or coconut or argan oil? :)

Silverbrumby
August 9th, 2012, 08:51 PM
try biotin? everyone says it worked for them i tried it for 2 months and it didnt work im hoping it will soon thouugh :) i wanted to ask if anyone knew which is best to thicken a hair strand other than castor oil is it olive oil or coconut or argan oil? :)

Oops, I meant a supplement.

Silverbrumby
August 9th, 2012, 08:52 PM

Genetics. BUT there was a small double blind study that showed 'Biosil' increased hair hair shaft diameter by 12%.

lechatn0ir
August 9th, 2012, 08:53 PM
How do you guys eat enough protein like 100 g? I definitely need more protein since i became a vegetarian.

Asprettyasme
August 9th, 2012, 08:59 PM
#error

#An error occurred.

SerinaDaith
August 9th, 2012, 09:03 PM

Look into flaxseed oil, I am deathly allergic to all things fishy so I get my omega fatty acids from them.

joflakes
August 10th, 2012, 12:58 AM
When you're looking at veganism, my understanding is that there are 3 key items that the diet is often deficient in: protein, iron, and fat. All of those can cause hair loss. I'd say tracking your consumption for 3-4 weeks is a good idea. You don't have to worry about the occasional day where you're short of one thing or another as long as you average enough over each 3 day period.

Also, I think someone else mentioned that soy can cause problems with the thyroid. If you've been borderline in the past, you'll want to regularly have your thyroid checked if you're relying on soy.

If it's not out of your price range, adding some wheat protein into your diet might be helpful.

Also, much of the iron in supplements is in a form that's hard to absorb, ferrous sulfate. Have your blood checked for iron, and if you're low, look for ferrous gluconate supplements - they absorb much, much better.

You're also likely to be a bit low on calcium, sodium, phosphorous, and manganese, all of which the body requires in appropriate dosages as a vegan.

Finally, there are no vegan sources of B12. An insufficiency of B-12 can cause hairloss, among other things. That's another thing you should have your blood checked for. B-12 insufficiency can be quite dangerous, so it's important to have checked.

Lastly, make sure your doctor knows that you're vegan - they may have other things they want to test your blood for, to make sure you're not suffering from deficiencies that can be harmful to your health. Hairloss is often one of the first indicators of nutritional deficiencies, and one that can usually be reversed before much harm is done to the body.

(I have absolutely nothing against veganism and am not at all trying to talk you out of it; there are just some medical concerns that come along with that particular dietary choice. Personally, my body can't handle veganism because I already tend to be low on B12 and iron, among other things, when eating meat)

~Blaze

Thank you so much for the advice. I have already let my Doctor know and he didn't seem to be fussed at all. He told me to take a calcium supplement, which I am, and that was about it.

B12 shouldn't be a problem - I daily eat marmite, Vitalite and a few other things which are enriched with B vitamins including B12, and I have 250% RDA in my vegan multivitamin. My supplement contains 'ferrous fumerate' as it's iron. Is that one of the easier absorbed ones?

I wouldn't say I rely on soy...I try not to use it too much as I know a lot of it is processed.

Nevertheless a trip to the doctor may be in order!

I went on a raw vegan diet (believe it or not using a feeding tube) not too long ago. Aside from bee products I was vegan, and the raw vegan diet raised my metabolism so much that I needed 4000 calories a day and as a result I also got 100g of protien a day because I aimed for 80% carbs 10% fat and 10% protein.

For the first time in my life my hair ALMOST COMPLETELY STOPPED shedding!!! Shed hairs were few and far between. My hair also grew an inch a month (much faster than my normal growth). My acne also cleared up, eventually my nails got stronger too, and overall I felt amazing on that diet. It made a big difference in my health and chronic illness.

I had to stop the diet when my Gi problems got worse becasue I went off of a medication. I am still on a vegan diet aside from rare bee products (still liquid and still dependent on a feeding tube). But I am getting less overall calories due to my gi problems, and although I am getting enough protein I am not getting as much as I was. Even so my hair still sheds far less than it ever did on a non vegan diet, and it still grows more quickly.

I think that many people attempt a vegan diet not fully understanding what they need to eat, or in what quantities. Its easy to become malnourished on any diet if you don't know what you are doing. But a vegan diet done properly can be amazing for your body (including your hair, nails, skin) ect.

Thanks for the encouragement and well done you for finding something that works for you! I have done a lot of research into the vegan diet, and know what I should/shouldn't be eating. I'm not sure it is down to the diet but I shall get tested. I've noticed I can eat a lot more, too. Before I was always low-fat low-cal stuff and now I cook with olive oil and use margarines and I feel amazing!

Another consideration is everyone has a different nutritional type. Some people need mostly vegetable carbohydrates and some people need mostly animal proteins. This goes back to BlazingHeart's post regarding people being naturally lower in certain vitamins and minerals. B12 deficiency is a major known issue of veganism/vegetarianism. Some people can get around that and be healthy, others can't. A part of that could also be that people don't understand how to eat a vegan diet and get enough protein and fat (especially omega-3 fats).

I fall apart without 90g+ of animal proteins and fats. I also fall apart when I'm eating gluten and soy (or anything genetically modified).

Thanks for the information. I have no idea how I would find out what is better for me, but I do know that when I eat animal products I feel like cr*p afterwards inside. Like all heavy and sluggish. I am definitely getting enough B12! Omega-3 fats are another story but I may get some flaxseed oil to cook with everyday so that will help. :)

Case in point. I seem to need biotin in my diet for strong nails, skin and hair. Others don't need it and have found no benefit.

Hmm, odd. Everyone is different, you're right.

I've never tried biotin but I would try to keep supplements down as I already take 2!

I can understand your diet, I am not a vegetarian though but I also dont eat meat so you can imagine how crazy my diet is. I just started not to long ago taking vitamins to make up for the missing nutrient in my diet. I think your diet is fine though, I dont think you should worry too much about it. yah, maybe up your pill collection but other then that most vegans are really healthy. What mg was you taking with the MSM pills? I take 1,000mg and the girl posted she took 3,000 which helped her. So was your MSM a high dose? Also how are you handling your hair? Are you combing to hard and are you sleeping with a scarf on at night? Is it a satin or silk scarf to help protect your hair? Those are very important, maybe for a little while you should not touch your hair until you figure out whats going on. Put it in a ponytail and just leave it alone. It may need a break. I have always been a heavy shedder,, always! I mean it was hair after hair after hair in brushes and just everywhere. But my hair was always very thick. Have you seen changes in your hair? Is it getting really thin? Or is it still thick? I just recently tried to stop myself from shedding as much and thats y i got on MSM and I started doing my hair every two weeks to a month so I can have it in a protective styling longer and it wouldnt shed as much. Its working. But you naturally are suppose to shed 100 strands a day which is what some one else mention already and some people (depending on hair color but natural blonde girls) shed every day 120-150 i believe. When I was freaking out from shedding the lady from the salon told me this and I hope this calms you down as much as it calmed me down. "The more your hair grow, the more it sheds". Which is true. Take a good long look at your hair,, if its getting very thin and broke off looking then its a problem, if it looks normal and you dont really see a difference, then you are okay. I hope its nothing to serious! I hope you turn out okay!

I really can't remember off the top of my head how many mg a day I was taking, fail! Handling my hair fine, I try not to touch it, never blow dry, put it up 90% of the time. I don't sleep in a sleepcap mostly because anything like that I find really uncomfy. It doesn't seem to be getting thinner, it's just the same as always.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll track it for a while and count my sheds and see how I get on! I might be imagining that it is bad when I just haven't noticed my shedding before....:o

MonaMayfair
August 10th, 2012, 01:08 AM
I know people are trying to be helpful/reassuring by quoting the "100 hairs a day is normal" thing, but the point is if it's not normal for you then something is wrong.

We all know how much we shed when we comb/wash our hair (if not by exact number of hairs, then by the feel of the bunch of shed hair we pick out of the comb/bathtub)

For example, my normal shed is 5 or 6 hairs in the comb in the morning. When a shed is approaching, my scalp gets itchy/sore/burns and I start to lose 11 or 12 hairs when I comb.
This then goes up to 20 hairs when the shed is bad (I have lost 100s of hairs in morning comb/brushings in sheds in the past, but this is how my last few sheds have gone)
Now 20 hairs might seen like nothing, but it's about 4 times more hair loss than is
normal for me and the presence of the sore itchy scalp makes it very distressing.
I've lost more than half of my hair over the course of these sheds. It does grow back, but never anywhere near as thick. It still looks perfectly normal, but I'm very conscious of the difference.

The reason I count my hairs is because I've had so many sheds. I know it seems odd to a lot of people, and I would never have thought of doing it before, but even before I could tell by sight and feel how much hair was coming out, so I don't understand when people say "maybe you never noticed how much hair you normally lost"

How much hair other people lose is kind of irrelevant. Also, before trying all these things that have worked for other people, the most important thing is blood tests to find a medical cause. And SO many medications can cause hair loss, including many non prescription medications.

Also, I've spent a lot of time reading female hair loss forums. It's very common for people to never find out the cause of their hair loss although it's being going on for years and they've tried every solution. So if there IS an obvious solution (thyroid, iron levels etc) finding out asap is important.

Alva
August 10th, 2012, 04:58 AM

Since how long you been folowwing your diet? If it is just a few months you won't particularly see any differences yet, so see how things become in the long run. If you still feel it works great then go for it I would say. Some people can do fine on it, but as stated by several other people here not everyone's health works the same. If people are on the vegan diet and they feel good with that by all means they should, but as soon as health problems pop up it needs to be looked into just as every other possible option there is for for example hairloss.

So saying good or bad, is not really the discussion here. The thing that matters is the question what your body experiences, which can be different for anyone. If health issues pop up, it should not be taken lightly and just said a vegan diet works for everyone, because it simply doesn't. It needs to be considered as a possible cause for hairloss, just like other causes can be responsible for it.

AineMuirne
August 10th, 2012, 05:16 AM
If anyone is curious about their nutritional type, there's a test here. It doesn't replace a blood analysis, but it's a (free) start. You'll need to pay attention to what foods make you feel full and energetic prior to taking it, because it will ask questions about that. At the end, there's a list of foods and meals, etc. for each nutrition type. Choose the options that make you feel good, not what you think is healthy or what you currently eat. There's a trove of good information on mercola.com about anything you could possibly imagine.

http://nutritionaltyping.mercola.com/login2.aspx?

MintChocChip
August 10th, 2012, 05:24 AM
No worries!

How has it been today for you?

Today and yesterday have been pretty bad. I don't like to count hairs because I know it will just upset me more, but it's got to the point where my hair has quite noticeable gaps in it when it's dry which is concerning considering I have thin hair anyway. When I run my hands through my hair a lot of hair's come with my hands but I'm hoping it'll be all be ok and get back to normal at some point as I have a lot of baby hairs. I've been putting mine down to stress/anxiety. 2012 has not been a good year for me, so I think it could be stress induced. I'm a very anxious person anyway, and I worry a lot so I guess that could be part of it.

I'm considering taking yoga up again. My hair looked pretty full/healthy when I did yoga a couple of years ago. Always an option. :)

meteor
August 10th, 2012, 08:13 AM
My diet is great - I'm vegan
Sorry, that's not "great".
Vegans who have really thick hair are very genetically lucky people. You can't go vegan and expect your hair to stay the same. Once you become vegan, your hair will lose some thickness and shine (not necessarily right away, but a few months later). I certainly did until I reintroduced quality animal protein and fats (fish, eggs).

joflakes
August 10th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Sorry, that's not "great".
Vegans who have really thick hair are very genetically lucky people. You can't go vegan and expect your hair to stay the same. Once you become vegan, your hair will lose some thickness and shine (not necessarily right away, but a few months later). I certainly did until I reintroduced quality animal protein and fats (fish, eggs).
Would like to reply more but I'm on my phone.

How can you know my diet isn't great? I haven't posted a food diary...

meteor
August 10th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Would like to reply more but I'm on my phone.

How can you know my diet isn't great? I haven't posted a food diary...
Veganism is restrictive in ways that are not great for hair. Food diary would be good to know what you include, but if you are vegan, it's already clear what you exclude - any animal-based fats and proteins. All I'm saying is if you go from a healthy balanced diet to a vegan diet and don't start shedding more than usual, you can consider yourself to be extremely genetically lucky.

meteor
August 10th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Veganism is restrictive in ways that are not great for hair. Food diary would be good to know what you include, but if you are vegan, it's already clear what you exclude - any animal-based fats and proteins. All I'm saying is if you go from a healthy balanced diet to a vegan diet and don't start shedding more than usual, you can consider yourself to be extremely genetically lucky.

Just wanted to add that since you are supplementing and getting checked by doctors regularly, you should be in a much better place, but remember that supplements don't get absorbed as well as whole foods.
Just to clarify, I am absolutely not bashing veganism, and I was a vegan for a few years (only for moral reasons). I am just saying that cutting out all fish, dairy, poultry, game and meat consumption is more likely to hurt than help hair growth. That's why I wrote it's not "great".

heidi w.
August 10th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Last I read from you the OP stated her anemia was not an issue. How do you know this? Is this the result of a doctor managed blood screen or are people just guessing and assuming and calling their beliefs facts? If you don't know, that's ok not to know, but I'd get my butt to the doctor and have a test performed and know FOR SURE.

All this back and forth about take biotin or take these other vitamins, etc. None of it is helpful at all if we don't really have a hands-down answer about anemia. None of these address the most likely issue of it all: anemia.

I hope you go to the doctor and find out.

heidi w.

heidi w.
August 10th, 2012, 09:59 AM
I do want to say that with anemia, the OP does not have to give up her vegan diet choice. What I am saying is get thee to a doctor ASAP, have a blood panel screen done for thyroid AND anemia, and carry on with tweaks to your vegan diet that up the protein intake until anemia is no longer identifiable. That's all that needs to happen. Point Blank.

If your doctor is contributing to the problem by not testing you, find another doctor to test you.
heidi w.

spookyghost
August 10th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Just wanted to add that since you are supplementing and getting checked by doctors regularly, you should be in a much better place, but remember that supplements don't get absorbed as well as whole foods.
Just to clarify, I am absolutely not bashing veganism, and I was a vegan for a few years (only for moral reasons). I am just saying that cutting out all fish, dairy, poultry, game and meat consumption is more likely to hurt than help hair growth. That's why I wrote it's not "great".

I just wanted to say that Im not vegan and I eat lots of protein and I get my carbs from fruits and veggies. I eat eggs, low-fat cheese, fish, and chicken. I absolutely love meat. I stay away from sugar and I am a fitness freak! I drink lots of water and stay away from diet pops. Im in excellent shape. And Im experiencing an increase shedding that has me worried too. I seem to eat many things that the poster does not eat (I hope Im not assuming what you eat-sorry if I am!;)) and I can win the olympics in shedding right now!

meteor
August 10th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Im in excellent shape. And Im experiencing an increase shedding that has me worried too.
If nothing changed in your regimen at all and you are shedding so much, all the more reason to get a detailed health check-up.

Alva
August 10th, 2012, 10:44 AM
I just wanted to say that Im not vegan and I eat lots of protein and I get my carbs from fruits and veggies. I eat eggs, low-fat cheese, fish, and chicken. I absolutely love meat. I stay away from sugar and I am a fitness freak! I drink lots of water and stay away from diet pops. Im in excellent shape. And Im experiencing an increase shedding that has me worried too. I seem to eat many things that the poster does not eat (I hope Im not assuming what you eat-sorry if I am!;)) and I can win the olympics in shedding right now!

Not all shedding is caused by a diet, it is just one of the possible options. You might as well experience a seasonal shed, which will subside after some weeks/a few months. There might also be hormonal imbalances that can be either temporary or permanent, depending on what it exactly is. The other options named here, like thyroid, anemia etc, can as well be the cause. My diet never went as far as vegetarian/vegan, but I was on a no-sugar diet for about a year. My shed started after I kept it up for about 9 months, then I was riddled why it happened. It depressed me madly and I lost quite a lot of thickness and ended up cutting my very thinned out Tailbone hair to BSL again. Right after I quit the diet, some weeks after my big trim, went back to products containing sugar and as fast as 2 weeks after that my shed completely stopped. I have not been on a diet since, I do not notice any changes in my weight by the food I do or do not take, my weight seems to be dropping only from activity, not food choices, and I have never had a major shed again. So my body needs products that even contain sugar for some reason. All bodies work differently, for you no sugar might just be fine and not cause you shedding and there's another reason it happens, but for me it wasn't, it made me shed tons and it is possible this also is the same for you :)

spookyghost
August 10th, 2012, 12:21 PM
If nothing changed in your regimen at all and you are shedding so much, all the more reason to get a detailed health check-up.

I agree and I plan on it! Not that I want anything wrong with me or anything but I just have this feeling Ill get labs done and everything will be ok and I wont have a logical reason for my shed. I definately want my hormones checked because I just turned 45 and maybe thats it. I have a feeling my thyroid is fine. Ill get it checked though because Im not a dr.!

Not all shedding is caused by a diet, it is just one of the possible options. You might as well experience a seasonal shed, which will subside after some weeks/a few months. There might also be hormonal imbalances that can be either temporary or permanent, depending on what it exactly is. The other options named here, like thyroid, anemia etc, can as well be the cause. My diet never went as far as vegetarian/vegan, but I was on a no-sugar diet for about a year. My shed started after I kept it up for about 9 months, then I was riddled why it happened. It depressed me madly and I lost quite a lot of thickness and ended up cutting my very thinned out Tailbone hair to BSL again. Right after I quit the diet, some weeks after my big trim, went back to products containing sugar and as fast as 2 weeks after that my shed completely stopped. I have not been on a diet since, I do not notice any changes in my weight by the food I do or do not take, my weight seems to be dropping only from activity, not food choices, and I have never had a major shed again. So my body needs products that even contain sugar for some reason. All bodies work differently, for you no sugar might just be fine and not cause you shedding and there's another reason it happens, but for me it wasn't, it made me shed tons and it is possible this also is the same for you :)

Ok I was not expecting that!:) Sugar? Wow! It does go to show you how everyone is different for sure!

elbow chic
August 10th, 2012, 02:48 PM
I too am having a shed right now. I think it's just a cyclical thing, for me. Sometimes I hardly shed at all, and then it all catches up!

Could be age, I am 31 and apparantly it is common for women's hair to become a bit thinner in their early thirties...

Could be stress, as I just moved halfway across the continent.

I know I am not anemic, as my levels were just recently checked. I limit carbs but not strictly, so probably not a diet issues. I feel quite healthy! Shrug.

Fortunately for me, I have tons of hair so even losing a couple inches wouldn't be catastrophic. I think usually a shed ends well before THAT point, tho.

Silverbrumby
August 10th, 2012, 04:17 PM
My shedding is hormonal. Most women in their mid to late 40/50's will have a hair adjustment. It can also be made worse with diet, menstral flow issues, bad habits etc.

spookyghost
August 10th, 2012, 05:33 PM
My shedding is hormonal. Most women in their mid to late 40/50's will have a hair adjustment. It can also be made worse with diet, menstral flow issues, bad habits etc.

Did you have blood work that said it was hormonal? And are you doing anything for it? If so has it helped? I havent even gotten any blood work yet but I think mine might be hormonal. My hair is thin and I cant afford to lose anymore!

Silverbrumby
August 10th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Did you have blood work that said it was hormonal? And are you doing anything for it? If so has it helped? I havent even gotten any blood work yet but I think mine might be hormonal. My hair is thin and I cant afford to lose anymore!

I had blood work with low vit. D, low iron but also low estrogen which is within range for my age. Hormones effect hair. When estrogen begins to decline the resulting remaining testosterone for some women can cause shrinking of the hair follicles. It's not a doctors job to correct natural aging processes unless they are really interfering with a persons life. Men get a drop off in testosterone and lose some muscle mass, sex drive etc as they age. They can get supplemented but there is a price to pay and most doctors will say 'that's just a normal part of aging'.

For women we dry out a little all over. Our hair follicles might shrink depending on genetics and male patterning thinning can come into play. A doctor wont address these issues unless they become extreme and even then balding women don't have a lot of choices without side effects.

For me the low iron and vit d. I think are address (just had a follow up blood test today). My hormone issues are fine for my age but they did effect my hair. Thyroid disease did effect my hair even thought I've got perfect levels of treatment and feel great.

Monistat seems to have helped fill in the temple area without the awful mess and expense of the womens re-growing hair tonic which has to be applied twice a day. Monistat is only every time I wash.

I take plant based iron supplements on my dr's recommendation because I still cycle and I do feel better for it. Same with Vit. D.

There is no need for me to use any hormonal treatments at this stage and the downside of increased breast cancer and stroke outweigh the benefits.

Look around at most elderly women and there is usually some sort of hair loss. Not for everyone mind you but for a good portion. I think that taking great care of your hair, supplements, massage, creams (monistat) and maybe a bunch of other things I'm not mentioning here can make a positive difference.

Silverbrumby
August 10th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Top Ten Foods for Hair Growth care of WebMD

Healthy Hair Food No. 1: Salmon

When it comes to foods that pack a beauty punch, it's hard to beat salmon. Loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, this high-quality protein source is also filled with vitamin B-12 and iron.

"Essential omega-3 fatty acids are needed to support scalp health," says Andrea Giancoli, MPH, RD, a dietitian in Los Angeles and a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association. "A deficiency can result in a dry scalp and thus hair, giving it a dull look."

Vegetarian? Include one or two tablespoons of ground flaxseed in your daily diet for some plant-based omega-3 fats.

Healthy Hair Food No. 2: Dark Green Vegetables

Popeye the Sailor Man didn't eat all that spinach for healthy hair, but he could have. Spinach, like broccoli and Swiss chard, is an excellent source of vitamins A and C, which your body needs to produce sebum. The oily substance, secreted by your hair follicles, is the body's natural hair conditioner.

Dark green vegetables also provide iron and calcium.

Healthy Hair Food No. 3: Beans

Beans, beans, they're good for your ... hair?

Yes, it's true. Legumes like kidney beans and lentils should be an important part of your hair-care diet. Not only do they provide plentiful protein to promote hair growth, but ample iron, zinc, and biotin. While rare, biotin deficiencies can result in brittle hair.

Blatner, who is also a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association, recommends three or more cups of lentils or beans each week.

Healthy Hair Food No. 4: Nuts

Do you go nuts for thick, shiny hair? You should.

Brazil nuts are one of nature's best sources of selenium, an important mineral for the health of your scalp.

Walnuts contain alpha-linolenic acid, an omega-3 fatty acid that may help condition your hair. They are also a terrific source of zinc, as are cashews, pecans, and almonds. A zinc deficiency can lead to hair shedding, so make sure nuts are a regular on your healthy hair menu.

Healthy Hair Food No. 5: Poultry

Chickens and turkeys may have feathers, but the high-quality protein they provide will help give you the healthy hair you crave.

"Without adequate protein or with low-quality protein, one can experience weak brittle hair, while a profound protein deficiency can result in loss of hair color," Giancoli tells WebMD.

Poultry also provides iron with a high degree of bioavailability, meaning your body can easily reap its benefits.

Healthy Hair Food No. 6: Eggs

When it comes to healthy hair, it doesn't matter whether you like your eggs scrambled, fried, or over easy. However they're served up, eggs are one of the best protein sources you can find.

They also contain biotin and vitamin B-12, which are important beauty nutrients.

Healthy Hair Food No. 7: Whole Grains

Sink your teeth into hearty whole grains, including whole-wheat bread and fortified whole-grain breakfast cereals, for a hair-healthy dose of zinc, iron, and B vitamins.

A whole-grain snack can also be a great go-to food when your energy is zapped halfway through the afternoon, and you've still got hours to go before dinner.

Healthy Hair Food No. 8: Oysters

Oysters may be better known for their reputation as an aphrodisiac, but they can also lead to healthy hair -- and who doesn't love that?

The key to their love and hair-boosting abilities is zinc -- a powerful antioxidant.

If oysters don't make a regular appearance on your dinner plate, don't despair. In addition to getting it from whole grains and nuts, you can also get zinc from beef and lamb.

Healthy Hair Food No. 9: Low-Fat Dairy Products

Low-fat dairy products like skim milk and yogurt are great sources of calcium, an important mineral for hair growth. They also contain whey and casein, two high-quality protein sources.

For some healthy hair foods "to-go," try throwing a yogurt or cottage cheese cup in your bag when you head out in the morning to snack on later in the day. You can even boost their hair benefits by stirring in a couple of tablespoons of ground flaxseeds or walnuts for omega-3 fatty acids and zinc.

Healthy Hair Food No. 10: Carrots

Carrots are an excellent source of vitamin A, which promotes a healthy scalp along with good vision.

Since a healthy scalp is essential for a shiny, well-conditioned head of hair, you'd be wise to include carrots in your diet as snacks or toppings on your salad.

Asprettyasme
August 11th, 2012, 12:36 AM
#error

#An error occurred.

spookyghost
August 11th, 2012, 04:34 AM
Top Ten Foods for Hair Growth care of WebMD

Healthy Hair Food No. 1: Salmon

When it comes to foods that pack a beauty punch, it's hard to beat salmon. Loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, this high-quality protein source is also filled with vitamin B-12 and iron.

"Essential omega-3 fatty acids are needed to support scalp health," says Andrea Giancoli, MPH, RD, a dietitian in Los Angeles and a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association. "A deficiency can result in a dry scalp and thus hair, giving it a dull look."

Vegetarian? Include one or two tablespoons of ground flaxseed in your daily diet for some plant-based omega-3 fats.

Healthy Hair Food No. 2: Dark Green Vegetables

Popeye the Sailor Man didn't eat all that spinach for healthy hair, but he could have. Spinach, like broccoli and Swiss chard, is an excellent source of vitamins A and C, which your body needs to produce sebum. The oily substance, secreted by your hair follicles, is the body's natural hair conditioner.

Dark green vegetables also provide iron and calcium.

Healthy Hair Food No. 3: Beans

Beans, beans, they're good for your ... hair?

Yes, it's true. Legumes like kidney beans and lentils should be an important part of your hair-care diet. Not only do they provide plentiful protein to promote hair growth, but ample iron, zinc, and biotin. While rare, biotin deficiencies can result in brittle hair.

Blatner, who is also a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association, recommends three or more cups of lentils or beans each week.

Healthy Hair Food No. 4: Nuts

Do you go nuts for thick, shiny hair? You should.

Brazil nuts are one of nature's best sources of selenium, an important mineral for the health of your scalp.

Walnuts contain alpha-linolenic acid, an omega-3 fatty acid that may help condition your hair. They are also a terrific source of zinc, as are cashews, pecans, and almonds. A zinc deficiency can lead to hair shedding, so make sure nuts are a regular on your healthy hair menu.

Healthy Hair Food No. 5: Poultry

Chickens and turkeys may have feathers, but the high-quality protein they provide will help give you the healthy hair you crave.

"Without adequate protein or with low-quality protein, one can experience weak brittle hair, while a profound protein deficiency can result in loss of hair color," Giancoli tells WebMD.

Poultry also provides iron with a high degree of bioavailability, meaning your body can easily reap its benefits.

Healthy Hair Food No. 6: Eggs

When it comes to healthy hair, it doesn't matter whether you like your eggs scrambled, fried, or over easy. However they're served up, eggs are one of the best protein sources you can find.

They also contain biotin and vitamin B-12, which are important beauty nutrients.

Healthy Hair Food No. 7: Whole Grains

Sink your teeth into hearty whole grains, including whole-wheat bread and fortified whole-grain breakfast cereals, for a hair-healthy dose of zinc, iron, and B vitamins.

A whole-grain snack can also be a great go-to food when your energy is zapped halfway through the afternoon, and you've still got hours to go before dinner.

Healthy Hair Food No. 8: Oysters

Oysters may be better known for their reputation as an aphrodisiac, but they can also lead to healthy hair -- and who doesn't love that?

The key to their love and hair-boosting abilities is zinc -- a powerful antioxidant.

If oysters don't make a regular appearance on your dinner plate, don't despair. In addition to getting it from whole grains and nuts, you can also get zinc from beef and lamb.

Healthy Hair Food No. 9: Low-Fat Dairy Products

Low-fat dairy products like skim milk and yogurt are great sources of calcium, an important mineral for hair growth. They also contain whey and casein, two high-quality protein sources.

For some healthy hair foods "to-go," try throwing a yogurt or cottage cheese cup in your bag when you head out in the morning to snack on later in the day. You can even boost their hair benefits by stirring in a couple of tablespoons of ground flaxseeds or walnuts for omega-3 fatty acids and zinc.

Healthy Hair Food No. 10: Carrots

Carrots are an excellent source of vitamin A, which promotes a healthy scalp along with good vision.

Since a healthy scalp is essential for a shiny, well-conditioned head of hair, you'd be wise to include carrots in your diet as snacks or toppings on your salad.

Im good to go on all those except whole grains and oysters! I have a hard time eating carbs because I love the zone way of eating. I get my carbs from fruits, veggies, and nuts. I do realize I might have to incorporate some whole grains in my diet and if I do I'll just be careful on how I do it. But at least Im eating healthy for healthy hair!

angelgypsy
August 11th, 2012, 01:09 PM
I am so glad I found this thread! I have this problem too and reading it has helped so much!

I already know I'm anemic and am working with my doctor to correct that. I do try to drink plenty of water, and I do have some of those foods that were mentioned above as regulars in my diet and I can add more. I have to watch the dark greens however, as I'm on a blood thinner and they would work against that. I'm going to discuss my meds with my specialist when I go in to see her, since I am thinking some of my meds may be partly responsible as well. If they are not much I can do about it. But I hope that making a few other simple changes can help. Thank you so much for all the help!

joflakes
August 13th, 2012, 05:51 AM
Thanks to all for the responses! I have no time to read all of them sadly but I will be getting checked at the Doctor's soon for anemia and other deficiencies.

In other news...my shedding seems to have slowed down...:o

Last few days have been:

Which has been great.
I'll keep track of it though and get the bloods done just in case. Also gonna start a food diary! :D

Mesmerise
August 13th, 2012, 06:07 AM
Thanks for the reply. I have been a bit more stressed than usual, yeah.

My diet is great - I'm vegan and take supplements and home cook 90% of the food I eat. I exercise minimum of 1 hour a day of walking. Sleep isn't great but that's a product of my job...I drink a lot, but of late my caffeine intake has increased. Probably should try to curb that and go back to herbal teas more.

I could visit the doctor, yeah. I'll keep on counting it for a few days/week and see how it is.

Relaxing might help indeed...I shall certainly try but as you remembered, I have a bit of a plate full at the moment.

Aww! Well maybe I am normal after all. Hehe. I remember sometime around this time last year having a shed but I had 2-3 inch long hair so I didn't notice as much or pay as much attention! :o

Now obviously a lot of vegan people have great hair... BUT I had a MASSIVE shed a couple of months after I went vegan. It was the worst shed of my life! I thought I was eating really, REALLY healthy too! Home cooked mostly everything, heaps of healthy veggies etc. etc. Still had the shed...

Hopefully this isn't the case with you at all! I had my shed for a good 3 months... it probably wouldn't be so bad if it was for a few days, but I lost a great deal of thickness.

Just see how long it goes for and try not to panic at this stage...if it continues though, it may pay to investigate further.

joflakes
August 13th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Now obviously a lot of vegan people have great hair... BUT I had a MASSIVE shed a couple of months after I went vegan. It was the worst shed of my life! I thought I was eating really, REALLY healthy too! Home cooked mostly everything, heaps of healthy veggies etc. etc. Still had the shed...

Hopefully this isn't the case with you at all! I had my shed for a good 3 months... it probably wouldn't be so bad if it was for a few days, but I lost a great deal of thickness.

Just see how long it goes for and try not to panic at this stage...if it continues though, it may pay to investigate further.

Thanks Mesmerise. I'll keep an eye on it and hope it stays low!