PDA

View Full Version : Scalp problems, might be hormones?

oktobergoud
August 8th, 2012, 04:13 PM
First of all, no, I'm not pregnant BUT I did stopped taking hormonal birth control a few months ago (not because I want to get pregnant, just because :P).

The one reason I took it in the first place was because of my acne. I stopped now and I still have acne, but it hasn't really gotten worse. My skin got oilier though! I now have problems with my scalp as well, it's flakey and itchy and no matter what I do, it doesn't go away! My hair isn't super greasy, but I do feel it's greasier than it was before. Also when I scratch my scalp, there's a lot of goo under my nails. But I do make sure to rinse my hair thoroughly! I also use SLS-free shampoo and clarify with a clarifying shampoo once in a while. I also have this SLS-free shampoo for scalp problems (with pepermint & tea tree oil) but it doesn't help either. It isn't super flaky so I guess it's not dandruff, just a few flakes here and there. But it feels like my scalp is coated in something sticky?? I don't know!

I'm at the point where I'm thinking that sulfate free shampoos might just not be harsh enough for the scalp.. or would that be ridiculous? I also have a SLS-free face wash and it hardly removes any oil from my skin (I know, removing too much is not good either). Could this be it? Any experiences?

I know there are already a thousand threads about scalps but I was wondering if this could be affected by hormones...

Xxanderia
August 8th, 2012, 04:21 PM
I definitely think hormones can affect how your scalp and hair behaves. Last October I wad diagnosed with endometriosis, and now I am on birth control every night with no breaks, ever. At first my hair HATED it. It was limp, dull, stringy, and I had the same stuff going on with my scalp as you do now. Finally though it seems like it adjusted itself.

All I can recommend is letting it adjust for a little bit, and maybe use a good clarifying shampoo once a week or so. One shampoo (although it has sulfates and isn't exactly clarifying) that worked for clearing up the flaky stuff for me was the head and shoulders itchy scalp formula.

Good luck!

lmfbs
August 8th, 2012, 04:23 PM
I guess your scalp is just skin, and your skin can be effected by hormones, so it makes sense your scalp would be too. I got a really flakey scalp when I stopped hormonal BC too, and crazy oil on my T-zone (and disgustingly, between my boobs). It took about 6-8 weeks to sort itself out.

As for fixing it, if it's flakey, my go-to would be an oil treatment for my scalp and a good massage, a scritch, then ACV rinse. ACV is amazingly soothing on my scalp, so maybe it will help you too?

oktobergoud
August 8th, 2012, 05:04 PM
I definitely think hormones can affect how your scalp and hair behaves. Last October I wad diagnosed with endometriosis, and now I am on birth control every night with no breaks, ever. At first my hair HATED it. It was limp, dull, stringy, and I had the same stuff going on with my scalp as you do now. Finally though it seems like it adjusted itself.

All I can recommend is letting it adjust for a little bit, and maybe use a good clarifying shampoo once a week or so. One shampoo (although it has sulfates and isn't exactly clarifying) that worked for clearing up the flaky stuff for me was the head and shoulders itchy scalp formula.

Good luck!

I've been off the pill for months now, so I had hoped it would have adjust by now. Then again, my acne seems worse than ever right now as well, so maybe it will adjust after this ehr... flare? I hope so! Thanks anyway, I'm going to look into that shampoo! :)

My hair right now is limp, stringy & dull as well! Annoying, might be the hormones. Again, I do hope it will adjust, but it's good to read that it has for someone :)

I guess your scalp is just skin, and your skin can be effected by hormones, so it makes sense your scalp would be too. I got a really flakey scalp when I stopped hormonal BC too, and crazy oil on my T-zone (and disgustingly, between my boobs). It took about 6-8 weeks to sort itself out.

As for fixing it, if it's flakey, my go-to would be an oil treatment for my scalp and a good massage, a scritch, then ACV rinse. ACV is amazingly soothing on my scalp, so maybe it will help you too?

I have this problem for months now though, and the acne on my back/chest got worse! Not on my face, luckily, except for the last week. It looks horrible now and I really hope it will adjust :(

I will try a good massage, I'm thinking about a scalp scrub or something. Anyway, thanks! :)a

happybear
August 8th, 2012, 06:06 PM
go to your doctor if you have had this issue for several months now. Initially there will be an adjustment phase when your body starts producing its own hormones again, but if it has been awhile and its getting worse, see a doc.

I have had greasy skin/hair since puberty and was just diagnosed as hypothyroid by my naturopath. since being placed on homeopathic meds, i have noticed a gradual reduction in the oiliness of my skin/scalp. Acne on your chin is hormonal. Acne on your back (according to my naturopath) is (in chinese medicine) associated with liver/gallstone toxins trying to come out of your body. My back-acne has been caused by a food intolerance, since removing the offending foods from my diet, I have noticed a reduction in the severity of my back-acne.

Silverbrumby
August 8th, 2012, 06:47 PM
First of all, no, I'm not pregnant BUT I did stopped taking hormonal birth control a few months ago (not because I want to get pregnant, just because :P).

The one reason I took it in the first place was because of my acne. I stopped now and I still have acne, but it hasn't really gotten worse. My skin got oilier though! I now have problems with my scalp as well, it's flakey and itchy and no matter what I do, it doesn't go away! My hair isn't super greasy, but I do feel it's greasier than it was before. Also when I scratch my scalp, there's a lot of goo under my nails. But I do make sure to rinse my hair thoroughly! I also use SLS-free shampoo and clarify with a clarifying shampoo once in a while. I also have this SLS-free shampoo for scalp problems (with pepermint & tea tree oil) but it doesn't help either. It isn't super flaky so I guess it's not dandruff, just a few flakes here and there. But it feels like my scalp is coated in something sticky?? I don't know!

I'm at the point where I'm thinking that sulfate free shampoos might just not be harsh enough for the scalp.. or would that be ridiculous? I also have a SLS-free face wash and it hardly removes any oil from my skin (I know, removing too much is not good either). Could this be it? Any experiences?

I know there are already a thousand threads about scalps but I was wondering if this could be affected by hormones...

Try the LOreal sulfate free range before changing over. I found the EverStrong great for my scalp issues.

Silverbrumby
August 8th, 2012, 06:49 PM

p.s. I've heard it can help with acne and there are many upsides to being on the pill. Clear skin, normal cycle for heavy bleeders, no pregnancy issues, better hair for some and less ovarian cancer I think. It's ultimately your choice but if it was working for the acne...

oktobergoud
August 10th, 2012, 03:01 AM
go to your doctor if you have had this issue for several months now. Initially there will be an adjustment phase when your body starts producing its own hormones again, but if it has been awhile and its getting worse, see a doc.

I have had greasy skin/hair since puberty and was just diagnosed as hypothyroid by my naturopath. since being placed on homeopathic meds, i have noticed a gradual reduction in the oiliness of my skin/scalp. Acne on your chin is hormonal. Acne on your back (according to my naturopath) is (in chinese medicine) associated with liver/gallstone toxins trying to come out of your body. My back-acne has been caused by a food intolerance, since removing the offending foods from my diet, I have noticed a reduction in the severity of my back-acne.

That's very interesting to hear! I am thinking about cutting out diary (for a few weeks, to see if it makes a difference), since that seems to be the nr.1 food intolerance linked with acne. Most of my acne is on my chin as well, so I guess that's hormonal! When I took the pill though, most of my acne was still on my chin though, so it didn't really help I guess.

I'll just wait a few weeks, then might go to the doctor! I'm sick of living with acne :(

p.s. I've heard it can help with acne and there are many upsides to being on the pill. Clear skin, normal cycle for heavy bleeders, no pregnancy issues, better hair for some and less ovarian cancer I think. It's ultimately your choice but if it was working for the acne...

Thanks! I have been taking the pill for 10 years, for my acne only. Thing is, it wasn't really that much better. I only notice a slight difference with the acne now, but I have felt so depressed when I was on the pill! I feel so much better now so unless my acne gets worse than it is now, I would never get back on that pill again!! Or until I actually get a sex-life lol :P

SilverDoe
August 10th, 2012, 03:29 AM
Try taking Evening primrose oil supplements, it really helped me when I stopped taking hormonal bc & suddenly got worsened acne & stretchmarks due to the hormonal imbalance.
My hormones stabilized, I have much less PMS symptoms & my skin is better than ever thanks to the oil.

Kayleigh
August 10th, 2012, 04:54 AM
This is so recognizably, I've faced the exact same problems in the few last months. And you're absolutely right to think it's linked to hormones. Sebum production is stimulated by certain hormones, so when you stop birth control that is aimed against acne those hormones are not controlled anymore. That gunky build-up that you speak of is linked to sebum production.

What works a bit for me is doing ACV rinses, it helps get the gunk of more. I also use Graham's shampoo, it's the only natural shampoo I've encountered till now that actually cleanses my scalp sufficiently. If you want to try to reduce sebum production from the inside out, there are some supplements that some people have result with. You could use brewer's yeast (biergist) or great burdock (grote klis).

oktobergoud
August 11th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the suggestion guys! I'm not sure yet what to do... but I have decided to try a diary-free diet for a few weeks, to see if it helps my skin. It might work, it might not. Maybe it would also help me with my scalp, if not, I'm going to see a doctor!