PDA

View Full Version : L-shaped split ends - Is there something specific that causes this?

millyaulait
August 8th, 2012, 03:12 PM
I just realized that I have got quite a lot of these. I haven't S&D'd in quite a while.

I don't have any other types of split ends, only L-shaped bends.

I was just wondering if these are caused by anything specific? I'd love to know so I can try and prevent these as much as possible.

My hair has been through a lot this month but I'm babying it as much as possible now.

Thanks... :flower:

moltabella
August 8th, 2012, 03:22 PM
watching this thread because i have them too...

lmfbs
August 8th, 2012, 03:24 PM
I get lots of them and it's to do with putting my hair up when it's still damp. Mine aren't splits though, they're just bends. If I wet them, they straighten up without damage. I wonder if yours will do the same?

julliams
August 8th, 2012, 03:34 PM
I think it's from updos. Thats what I'm finding. And it seems to be no matter how careful I am about tucking those ends in neatly. Maybe it's when I'm taking it down or maybe it's just that it's much weaker from being dry? I'm not really sure.

gthlvrmx
August 8th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Its caused by the updos you put them in. Depending on how you tuck your ends, you might get them bent. I have them but not as much anymore after i found out i can tuck my hair UNDER my cinnamon bun instead of the spin pin squeezing the ends against the whole bun, causing them to bend. But once you wash your hair it goes back to normal.
It also happens to wet hair, damp hair, and its a sign of overmoisturized hair when your hair isnt wet and damp yet you put your hair in a bun and it KEEPS coming out with these bent ends. And you stretch and its very stretchy. Thats overmoisturized hair. These kinks in the hair cause hair to snag on to each other making some tangles, but if you're careful you shouldn't have much problem.
Then i think there are bent ends when its a split right where it bends, its a white dot. I think after repeated stress on the ends, like continuous bending at the same point will cause it to break but i haven't had that happen to me yet. But i don't know, i heard that could happen.

Simone_Fatale
August 8th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Sometimes I get those from flat ironing.

lmfbs
August 8th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Sometimes I get those from flat ironing.

Ick, I used to get a TONNE of them flat ironing. They were so annoying!!!

Simone_Fatale
August 8th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Ick, I used to get a TONNE of them flat ironing. They were so annoying!!!
Yeah, especially when they are frizzy and stick out at a weird angle.... It's like I have weeds in my hair or something :lol: Luckily I don't get them so often.

lmfbs
August 8th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Yeah, especially when they are frizzy and stick out at a weird angle.... It's like I have weeds in my hair or something :lol: Luckily I don't get them so often.

I had totally forgotten about them, but they were the bane of my flat ironing days. Maybe I was a terrible flat iron user??

Simone_Fatale
August 8th, 2012, 05:00 PM
I had totally forgotten about them, but they were the bane of my flat ironing days. Maybe I was a terrible flat iron user??
I don't think it's the flat ironing technique... I'm supergentle at all times and still I get those weird ends from time to time. But maybe it happens when you stop ironing half an inch before the end of the hair strands (I try to lessen damage on the tips that way) so the texture of the strands 'breaks' at that point somehow? I dunno. :confused:

ravenreed
August 8th, 2012, 05:15 PM
I get them from tangles. When I fingercomb the tangle, where the knot was will have a lot of bends. They don't wash out either, so I cut them.

dwell_in_safety
August 8th, 2012, 07:17 PM
I also get them from tangles, when I do notice them. They're... interesting. :p Usually they bounce right back if I straighten them with a drop of water.

MaryMarx
August 9th, 2012, 02:12 AM
Oh! I have a few of those, not split but bent in that L-shape, and I found out that they are positioned exactly where I use to bobby pin my hair. :(
No more bobbies for me.

millyaulait
August 9th, 2012, 03:20 AM
I get lots of them and it's to do with putting my hair up when it's still damp. Mine aren't splits though, they're just bends. If I wet them, they straighten up without damage. I wonder if yours will do the same?

I almost always put my hair up when it's damp! Hmmm...

millyaulait
August 9th, 2012, 03:21 AM
I think it's from updos. Thats what I'm finding. And it seems to be no matter how careful I am about tucking those ends in neatly. Maybe it's when I'm taking it down or maybe it's just that it's much weaker from being dry? I'm not really sure.

I try to be careful with up-dos but I pretty much wear the same thing every day, I'm not able to do many styles yet. :(

millyaulait
August 9th, 2012, 03:23 AM
Its caused by the updos you put them in. Depending on how you tuck your ends, you might get them bent. I have them but not as much anymore after i found out i can tuck my hair UNDER my cinnamon bun instead of the spin pin squeezing the ends against the whole bun, causing them to bend. But once you wash your hair it goes back to normal.
It also happens to wet hair, damp hair, and its a sign of overmoisturized hair when your hair isnt wet and damp yet you put your hair in a bun and it KEEPS coming out with these bent ends. And you stretch and its very stretchy. Thats overmoisturized hair. These kinks in the hair cause hair to snag on to each other making some tangles, but if you're careful you shouldn't have much problem.
Then i think there are bent ends when its a split right where it bends, its a white dot. I think after repeated stress on the ends, like continuous bending at the same point will cause it to break but i haven't had that happen to me yet. But i don't know, i heard that could happen.

Ack. I can't get my hair into proper buns, so I just do a topknot with a stick, the ends fray out and I always put it up like that when it's wet/damp. Oops.

Thanks for the helpful answer, I think I'll scour youtube for some safe up-do's. :)

millyaulait
August 9th, 2012, 03:24 AM
I get them from tangles. When I fingercomb the tangle, where the knot was will have a lot of bends. They don't wash out either, so I cut them.

Oh, that makes sense. I just cut mine out today. :)

millyaulait
August 9th, 2012, 03:24 AM
I also get them from tangles, when I do notice them. They're... interesting. :p Usually they bounce right back if I straighten them with a drop of water.

I'll try that next time I get one, I just cut mine off today! :p