PDA

View Full Version : Started taking Biotin

moltabella
August 8th, 2012, 01:10 PM
I'm trying not to be one of those people that's like.... "OMG I took Biotin and two days later my hair is amazing!" :p:applause:cheese::magic:

but... I did just start Biotin pills a week ago and I have noticed that my hair is different this week.

I just changed my hair routine 2 months ago, so it could be that all of that maintenance/ upkeep is starting to make a difference... but in the last couple days I have noticed that my hair is just healthier.

It feels and looks fuller, more volumized and springy (i have curls). I wonder if this is Biotin taking effect?

Who here takes Biotin in pill form? Did you see results and how long did it take?

;)

henné
August 8th, 2012, 01:16 PM
It takes much longer for vitamin pills to start having an effect on hair (as in months). It's much more likely it's the new healthier routine that has had such a good influence on your hair.

I'm very happy for you though! Whatever you're doing, it's obviously right! ;)

moltabella
August 8th, 2012, 01:24 PM
It takes much longer for vitamin pills to start having an effect on hair (as in months). It's much more likely it's the new healthier routine that has had such a good influence on your hair.

Thank you so much! I know it seems silly but there was a time when I thought full, healthy hair just wasn't in the cards for me.

LHC and a little dedication has really made a big difference for me.

vanillabones
August 8th, 2012, 01:25 PM
I was taking biotin for awhile, and I found it really made me breakout on my face so I stopped. This was a good reminder for me to take my other vitamins though! Including MSM.

tiarefleur
August 8th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Biotin can only have an effect on your new growth, not the hair that you had before taking it...but that's still good news for your hair routine. Whatever you're doing is paying off! :applause

akilina
August 8th, 2012, 01:30 PM

I agree :) It probably has to do with your over all new health routine:]
I hope biotin works for you. I wish it worked for me, well, it did but the migraines and horrible cystic acne was NOT worth it :/ It did increase my growth very very slightly on my head. It made my eyelashes amazing, but EVERYTHING grew incredibly fast! shudder:!!
How much are you taking? I can't stand to hear when people keep upping their dose more and more. Its like overdosing yourself on a vitamin you body already produces and is most likely NOT deficient in. My multi vitamin has some biotin and it seems to be just enough for me. No headaches or cyst like zits that last for 3 months.

moltabella
August 8th, 2012, 01:58 PM
I agree :) It probably has to do with your over all new health routine:]
I hope biotin works for you. I wish it worked for me, well, it did but the migraines and horrible cystic acne was NOT worth it :/ It did increase my growth very very slightly on my head. It made my eyelashes amazing, but EVERYTHING grew incredibly fast! shudder:!!
How much are you taking? I can't stand to hear when people keep upping their dose more and more. Its like overdosing yourself on a vitamin you body already produces and is most likely NOT deficient in. My multi vitamin has some biotin and it seems to be just enough for me. No headaches or cyst like zits that last for 3 months.

I've read a lot about ppl breaking out on it, which is weird bc it's supposed to be for hair/skin/nails? *shrugs*

either way, I am terrified now :couch:

I have a pretty successful anti-acne routine right now, so I will stay vigilant with that and hope it doesn't affect me.

I am taking 5000 mcg. Apparently that's the max dosage... just read that somewhere :hmm:

akilina
August 8th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I've read a lot about ppl breaking out on it, which is weird bc it's supposed to be for hair/skin/nails? *shrugs*

either way, I am terrified now :couch:

I have a pretty successful anti-acne routine right now, so I will stay vigilant with that and hope it doesn't affect me.

I am taking 5000 mcg. Apparently that's the max dosage... just read that :hmm:
Well there is a difference in the correct dosage, and over dosing. Me simply taking two 1000 mcg supplements was WAY too much for me.
I currently take about 330mcg biotin daily in my multivitamins.
300 mcg =100% of your daily dosage according to my B vitamin bottle. There are 30 mcg in my normal multi so that comes out to even more than my body needs in one day. I don't have any issues with this dosage luckily, and seem to benefit all the same :]

Silverbrumby
August 8th, 2012, 02:41 PM
I started taking biosil about 18 months ago (in my google calendar) and I noticed a definite change in my nails after about 4 months. That was as quick a the changed happened.

Then I switched to biotin and it's been 12 months on that supplement. Nails strong and long for the most part. Skin, definite improvement less noticable lines. Hair. Still on the fence. Okay, my hair has filled in and the hair seems thicker but I think that's more to do with the monistat because of my issues with aging and estrogen drop off vs testerone staying the same - aka male patterning thinning. That's been for the most part fixed.

Hair pony tail went up from 2.4 in sept 2011 to 2.90 in August 2012.

Sophiatrist
August 8th, 2012, 03:24 PM
I am taking 5000 mcg daily. It's hard to tell just what affect it is having on the hair on my head as I am also recovering from telogen effluvium from surgery, but it is definitely growing faster. My nails have also gotten a lot stronger. Unfortunately I now also have to shave my legs every other day instead of every three days, but if it helps that hair on my head then I can deal with that.

lmfbs
August 8th, 2012, 03:35 PM
I took 600mcg about 3 times a week for a few months. No change in hair growth, but I got hideous acne and stomach cramps. I thought I had increased hair growth for a bit, but it turns out I just didn't realise my hair was breaking off before so had no idea of my actual growth.

Personally, I think 5000mcg is WAY too much when it isn't even a vitamin we should be supplimenting.

My doctor was really annoyed when I told her I was taking it. She said even in the dosage I was taking it is really hard on your kidneys and unless it's recommended by a HCP you shouldn't take it.

I'm glad I stopped - the downsides definitely weren't worth it.

Tristania
August 8th, 2012, 03:41 PM
My skin looks better than ever, but I haven't noticed any change in fingernail or hair growth. I've been taking 5000 mcg daily for a couple of months now. When I run out I think I'll stop taking it, I'm really concerned about "overdosing" on a particular vitamin.

lmfbs
August 8th, 2012, 03:48 PM
My skin looks better than ever, but I haven't noticed any change in fingernail or hair growth. I've been taking 5000 mcg daily for a couple of months now. When I run out I think I'll stop taking it, I'm really concerned about "overdosing" on a particular vitamin.

The good news is biotin is water soluable, so it doesn't build up in your system. However, it can still cause damage long term, because of course, your body still has to process it to excrete it.

Here's a really interesting blog on biotin (http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.co.nz/p/infamous-biotin-rant.html) by Igor (used to be a member here, she has freaking *amazing* hair!) that you might be interested in. I found this a few weeks after I stopped taking it, and it really cemented my decision.

Simone_Fatale
August 8th, 2012, 03:53 PM
I'm taking biotin as a part of B complex vitamins (biotin being the vitamin B7) and so far I've only noticed an enormous growth spurt of my nails which I have to trim every couple of days. I think that my skin has also started clearing up, but that could be due to the new skincare regime I've started and panthenol (B5 vitamin) creme as a part of it. I also rub in panthenol on my scalp several hours before washing. I'm expecting to see hair growth results in a few months, but since my hair is already growing fast, I'll probably only have a difference in hair quality.

henné
August 8th, 2012, 03:54 PM
I think the best way to up the vitamins you think or know you're lacking is to focus on eating the foods (meats, veggies, dairy, etc.) that have the most of that specific vitamin/mineral in them. It is infinitely superior to taking vitamin pills and supplements.

Let's do a quick google search on biotin in foods ...

Source: http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/vitamins-minerals/8-foods-rich-in-biotin.html#b

1. Swiss Chard - This green plant is a top producer of biotin. It's also a great part of a healthy salad choice that will provide antioxidants and help balance a diet.
2. Carrots - Carrots contain a supply of biotin, as well as beta-carotene, which helps with general eye health.
3. Almonds, Walnuts and Other Nuts - A variety of nuts supply the body with biotin, and are a portable way to get proteins and other nutrition into a diet.
4. Chicken Eggs - Eggs are a source of biotin, although it's important to note that eating a diet unusually high in egg whites can actually be a catalyst for a biotin deficiency. That's because a specific element in the egg whites binds to the element and prevents it from being distributed properly. It's important to always consider how eggs are added to a diet in order to prevent this kind of vitamin deficiency.
5. Goat's Milk and Cow's Milk - In addition to calcium and other healthy items, milks are also a source of biotin for the body.
6. Berries and Fruits - Some types of berries, including strawberries and raspberries, can get the body a significant amount of biotin. These fruits also provide antioxidants and health benefits, as part of a natural, whole food approach to eating. Experts recommend buying local and organic when possible.
7. Halibut - In addition to being "brain food," this fish also contains large amounts of biotin. Think about adding it as an occasional entre.
8. Vegetables - Other vegetables like onions, cucumbers and cauliflower all contain biotin, and are healthy ways to fit this vitamin into meals.

I'm sorry if I'm derailing the thread a little, but I think this is a pretty important piece of information. Plus, I've never heard of anyone breaking out in cystic acne from eating Swiss Chard :D ;)

lmfbs
August 8th, 2012, 04:02 PM
I think the best way to up the vitamins you think or know you're lacking is to focus on eating the foods (meats, veggies, dairy, etc.) that have the most of that specific vitamin/mineral in them. It is infinitely superior to taking vitamin pills and supplements.

Let's do a quick google search on biotin in foods ...

Source: http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/vitamins-minerals/8-foods-rich-in-biotin.html#b

I'm sorry if I'm derailing the thread a little, but I think this is a pretty important piece of information. Plus, I've never heard of anyone breaking out in cystic acne from eating Swiss Chard :D ;)

I love how they specify 'chicken eggs'. Dinosaur eggs are probably terribly low in protein.

Asprettyasme
August 8th, 2012, 07:36 PM
#error

#An error occurred.

Asprettyasme
August 8th, 2012, 07:47 PM
#error

#An error occurred.

moltabella
August 8th, 2012, 07:48 PM
I have resolved to continue taking my daily B complex vitamin (which has a lower dose of biotin in it), but not the 5mg Biotin pill.

The kidney & acne thing is something I don't even want to experiment with.

Thanks for all the feedback! :D

Ml001
August 8th, 2012, 07:56 PM
I had a growth spurt shortly after starting to take it. It could have been from other factors or just a natural thing that would have happened without any change on my part. Who knows. I did notice an improvement in my nails, though, and although 'everyone' says it takes a while I noticed it almost right away. I also forgot to take it for several days in a row after doing well with it and I noticed the nails responding right away. My nails are horrible on their own and have been for a really long time even though I eat healthy (and even during a nutritarian stint). They're horrible, which is why I am able to see the difference so well. I don't take a ton of it...not even a full dose. But since I noticed an improvement in my nails I will keep taking it. When finances allow, I will up to the full dose and see what happens. When I saw the results on the nails, I didn't even care anymore if it affected my hair or not, lol. That probably doesn't really answer your question but that's my story. Good luck.

Rufflebutt
August 8th, 2012, 08:01 PM
I think it's just placebo affect. Your body doesn't supply any nutrients into your hair. Your hair is dead. A week isn't enough time to have enough significant growth that would affect your entire head. It would take much longer to find out if it's making a difference.

Personally, I don't see the point in taking biotin. Your body already produces enough of it on it's own. In fact, it's extremely rare to have a biotin deficiency and if you did you would know. Trust me. Not only that, but taking too much biotin is extremely bad for you.

Silverbrumby
August 8th, 2012, 08:19 PM

The nails take about 4 months to grow out from the nail bed. You wont see any changes there until about 2 months from now even after you stop. Then they might be stronger for a couple of months then go back to the way they where

pocketfulla
August 9th, 2012, 12:04 AM
I took biotin for months and months and yet it did nothing. I honestly think it's because I just didn't need it.

Silverbrumby
August 9th, 2012, 01:01 AM
I took biotin for months and months and yet it did nothing. I honestly think it's because I just didn't need it.

I agree. Some folks just don't need it. I think the only reason I kept up with it is because I saw a change in my skin and nails. I love the changes. That alone was enough for me to keep it up for 12 months. It's once a day with my other supplements. No big deal here and no side effects at all.

Asprettyasme
August 12th, 2012, 04:10 PM
#error

#An error occurred.

maborosi
August 13th, 2012, 12:04 AM
Hmn...I started to really notice biotin taking effect about three weeks in, I'd say. I've been consistently taking it close a month and a half I think. Haven't noticed a growth spurt, but my eyelashes are ridiculously long and my nails have been growing much faster and are harder. I know from past trials that biotin certainly affects those two things. I don't know if it does anything for my hair, though.

~maborosi~

drquartz1970
August 13th, 2012, 03:32 AM
I take Biotin tablets regularly for over 4 years. No increase in the rate of growth, but my hair health improved and I do think it helps hairs on the head last longer before shedding. Haven't experienced any major hair shed at all in the time I have been taking the Biotin.

Lilli
August 13th, 2012, 07:01 AM
I just got major cystic acne. :(