PDA

View Full Version : twisted fishtail

pes3108
August 8th, 2012, 12:21 PM
So yesterday I was getting ready for work (and in a hurry, as usual). I was fishtailing my hair and by the time I got done and banded it, the bottom 2 inches were completely twisted, like almost in a corkscrew. It looked really cool, but kind of weird since it was only on the bottom. I have no idea how I did it, but would love to do it again on the whole braid. Does anyone know how?!? I wish I had taken a picture, but I was in a hurry :(

hyettf16
August 8th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Did you accidentally twist the strands on one side before you added them to the braid?
The same thing happens when I try to do a four-stranded braid.

neko_kawaii
August 8th, 2012, 12:33 PM
I've found that fishtails twist when you don't use the same amount of hair each time. So, you could get it to twist on purpose if you always used more hair on the left side and less on the right. Eventually you'd end up with not enough hair on the left side but maybe start with more hair there instead of half and half? Hope that makes sense! Good luck, I'd love to see the results!

pes3108
August 8th, 2012, 12:38 PM
I've found that fishtails twist when you don't use the same amount of hair each time. So, you could get it to twist on purpose if you always used more hair on the left side and less on the right. Eventually you'd end up with not enough hair on the left side but maybe start with more hair there instead of half and half? Hope that makes sense! Good luck, I'd love to see the results!

that makes sense! I think that is what I was doing... when I got down to the bottom I had more hair left on the right than the left and I thought I was still taking even sections, but I guess not. I'll experiment tonight before work and hopefully will allow enough time :)

jasper
August 8th, 2012, 03:08 PM
In a hurry and doing a fish tail? Impressive.

moltabella
August 8th, 2012, 03:10 PM

my thoughts exactly lol :applause

lmfbs
August 8th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Mine twist when I pull too hard on one side. I've had some that look awesome when they twist, and others just look silly.

pes3108
August 8th, 2012, 08:43 PM

hahaha! it has become my standard hair do for work (I work in a fast food restaurant right now) so I've gotten really good at doing it quickly. As long as my hair is detangled beforehand. I think it would be really cool to have the spiral going the whole length of the braid instead of just the end!

CurlyCurves
August 9th, 2012, 07:24 AM
I wish I knew how to fishtail!

spidermom
August 9th, 2012, 08:49 AM
When I learned this braid, it was called a snake braid because of the tendency to twist. I think it's caused by varying tension.

pes3108
August 9th, 2012, 09:07 AM
When I learned this braid, it was called a snake braid because of the tendency to twist. I think it's caused by varying tension.

so if i were to pull harder on one side, it would make it twist??