PDA

View Full Version : Should I try removing chemical dye before I use henna?

bunnylake
August 8th, 2012, 10:37 AM
So I have a bit of dark brown permanent chemical dye in my hair that has faded a bit since I applied it about one to two months ago, and I plan to start using henna.
Should I try to remove the dye before I henna? Or will it not make much of a difference? My natural color is dark brown anyway.
I just want the henna to turn out as best as it can.

browneyedsusan
August 8th, 2012, 10:40 AM
It will probably be fine, but strand test first just to be sure. A week after the strand test, the color will settle to it's final shade.

akilina
August 8th, 2012, 12:35 PM
I have done so in the past :) It definitely gave me a prettier result. Just remember to wait a few days if you use something like color oops.
Another thing I noticed that was when I hennaed over chemical color, its almost like the henna busted out some of the molecules and my hair became less dark from the chemical dyes, and more intense henna every time. It is possible that after 3 applications or so you would be just as happy :]

lapushka
August 8th, 2012, 12:55 PM
If your hair is about the same color as the dye, then I'd leave it alone and henna over it. You are not going to get much of a color difference in your roots once you henna since the dye and your hair match pretty well, so it won't matter.

Mayflowers
August 8th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Trying to strip color out of hair just damages it more.

bunnylake
August 8th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Thanks guys, I think I'll just leave it alone. :)

Toiréasa
August 8th, 2012, 01:47 PM
I hennaed over dye my hair is also brown and was dyed with a dark brown,I had no problem getting the color I wanted and you can not see a bit of difference in the roots. I would henna over what you have no need to damage your hair stripping it,if you like you can look in my album I have before and after pictures in there.