PDA

View Full Version : Shaving Head without Trauma to Roots?

Purdy Bear
August 8th, 2012, 04:31 AM
As most know on here I have Alopecia Univarlis, which means I don't have a lot of body hair. I do have some scraggy bits growing on my scalp and I'm seriously thinking of shaving them off again, however, how can I do that without causing trauma to the roots.

I usually do cut my scraggy bits with scissors and have used an electric razor before but the hair didn't regrow for 4 years after the later.

Is there a way of gently removing the hair so it looks neat and tidy but without causing it to die off at the root?

akilina
August 8th, 2012, 11:42 AM
I don't think an electric razor would cause damage to your root.
Being that the root is under your scalp I don't see where any shaving device would do it. I wouldn't blame 4 years of no growth on them either.
Maybe you could use clippers and use a #1 guard (leaves an 1/8 of an inch) Or just use the clippers with no guard, but flip it out to 1/2 with the little handle. It leaves less than 1/8 of an inch but wouldn't be so close to your scalp. :)

UltraBella
August 8th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Your roots are protected deep down in their follicle, shaving your head should not cause your roots to be damaged.

ravenreed
August 8th, 2012, 01:33 PM
When my sons were wee things, I would shave their heads for them with clippers. They both have amazingly thick heads of hair today. As others have said, I don't think it was the shaving that caused the problem, although with your skin condition, I suppose it is possible. It usually takes quite a bit of trauma to prevent regrowth. I hope you find something that works, and wanted to say that dealing with the skin condition must be very frustrating! :blossom: