PDA

View Full Version : What size Flexi 8?

hairhair
August 8th, 2012, 01:50 AM
For about the past nine-ten months I've favoured wearing my hair in a claw-type clip. Basically a ponytail secured with a couple of elastics, then folded up and clipped onto the back of my head. It's worked well to keep my hair off the back of my neck in the awkward shoulder-to-APL stage, but now it's not only doing damage, but my hair is rapidly growing past the stage where this style will work.

As you can see in the photo, whereas once only about 2-3 inches poked out in a kind of cute tuft, now I have this giant 6+ inch tree sprouting out of my clip.

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r519/Echidna23/P5240155.jpg

Although my head is tilted back here and the clip is quite low, this was a few months ago -- the tuft is now definitely 6 inches long. If I try to put the clip higher, it looks weird and falls out the bottom. Also, I'm getting tired of clipping and, as mentioned, it causes damage.

So I decided to see whether a Flexi-8 would work in a similar style... However, the exact same thing would happen with a Flexi 8 if I did the exact same style (ponytail turned upside down). I think I would like to do a French twist, Up and Down or Tails Up (as they call them on the website).

This is my hair today, just passing APL:

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r519/Echidna23/P6230186.jpg

Ponytail circumference is precisely 3.5 inches.

I'm thinking a medium Flexi-8 would do the trick, as the size listed is 4 inches ponytail circumference for it to work for ponytail hairstyles. It says if you use a small (3 1/8 inch ponytail circumference) for your ponytail you should use this for a French twist. I think a medium would be too large for my ponytail so theretically if I did want it for a ponytail I'd probably get a small.

The next smallest size is 3 1/8 inches and the next largest is 4 3/4 inches. I also measured my ponytail circumference looped loosely on itself twice; it's 4.5 inches.

Sorry for the long explanation. If someone can give an estimate, either from the pictures/measurements of my hair, of whether a Medium is the right choice, that would be great. :)

Tisiloves
August 8th, 2012, 01:54 AM
I'm a 3.5" circunference and I use a medium for most styles, it should be fine for you.

woolyleprechaun
August 8th, 2012, 02:01 AM
Id go with a medium for a 'tails up'. The good thing about a medium is, if you find its too big for the tails, you could make a french twist and use it for that. (have you considered a french twist? It would keep your ends tucked away nicely) If medium is too small, you can use it to secure a smaller amount of hair.
Enjoy! :D

hairhair
August 8th, 2012, 02:10 AM
Thanks Tisiloves and woollyleprechaun! :)

I'm not so concerned about it being too big; mainly too small. Although I also dislike the feel of "insecure"-feeling hairstyles.

Tisiloves
August 8th, 2012, 02:30 AM
You can squish a surprising amount of hair in a flexi-8, a medium will even (just about) hold my bun.

hairhair
August 8th, 2012, 02:38 AM
I'm thinking of getting this one: http://www.flexi8.com/1882.html?id=oyUDTe7r but at the same time I'm a bit worried it could blend into my hair colour too much. Hm... decisions decisions!

Tisiloves
August 8th, 2012, 02:43 AM
Deciding, it's the hardest part of hairtoy shopping.:ponder:

whitedove
August 8th, 2012, 05:17 AM
My hair is about 3 and a half inches and I use a small for ponytail and meduim for buns. Just heading to MBL length and thinking of getting a large as I am now struggling to close the flexi.

You should go look at the flexi 8 thread to get inspiration http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17757

Zesty
August 8th, 2012, 08:09 AM
I have a 4" circumference and use a small flexi for half ups, I don't think it would be big enough for your purposes. I used to have a medium, and on me it tended to slide down in a ponytail because my hair is slippery and it wasn't tight enough to counteract that. If you're planning to do a peacock twist sort of hairstyle, medium would probably work, I imagine large would be too big because that size is often used to hold all of the hair in a bun etc. I'm not the biggest fan of flexis for anything other than half ups, though, because sometimes the fit just isn't right with any of the sizes.

Hollyfire3
August 8th, 2012, 09:14 AM
I'm thinking of getting this one: http://www.flexi8.com/1882.html?id=oyUDTe7r but at the same time I'm a bit worried it could blend into my hair colour too much. Hm... decisions decisions!

I don't think It'll blend in too much, the brown will match and the purple will pop, altogether, it'll be beautiful!:)

BlazingHeart
August 8th, 2012, 12:09 PM
I use a large for a pony or a peacock twist (which they call a tails-up), as my hair won't fit in a medium, but I do have massively thick hair. My circ is about 5.2" (used to be thicker, had a big shed). Anyhow, if I really cram, I can just barely get a medium to catch around my pony, so it should be a good size for styles for you. (And when I say just barely, I mean it's super hard to get on and off, so I never use the medium I have)

~Blaze

kittykat86
August 8th, 2012, 01:12 PM
I use a small for half-ups and a medium for tails up and ponytails. I use a large for a modified french twist( I don't tuck the ends) and I need a bigger one for buns. My hair is almost 27" and MBL.

Emerald88
August 8th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Just guessing, I would think a medium would work for you. If it's too big for tails up, you can use it for a cinnamon bun. I don't own a medium so I can't say for sure on size. I have XL and Mega and there is a huge amount of difference between the two but they each work for different styles.

dwell_in_safety
August 8th, 2012, 07:11 PM
I've got about 4.25" anymore, and for me a large BARELY works with a French twist. I can use a medium for a braid tuck, and I use an XL for buns.

hairhair
August 17th, 2012, 01:11 AM
Thanks for the sizing advice everyone! Flexis arrived today and they are perfect! At first I was a bit confused about how to use the clips and get my hair into a twist, but after watching the video I have managed, albeit a bit messily! I'll try to get pics soon!

Thanks so much for the advice. The medium size seems to be really good for me; it also loosely holds my hair in a ponytail (although I might get a small if I want to do ponytails frequently).