PDA

View Full Version : Long Hair

Mane2012
August 7th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Do you think long hair is coming back in for Men?

what is your opinion on societal pressure for Men to keep their hair short?

mzBANGBANG
August 7th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Do you think long hair is coming back in for Men?

what is your opinion on societal pressure for Men to keep their hair short?

1) I don't think it is out or in, it's just an option. There are increasingly more hairstyles for men in general.

2) I think men pressure men to have short hair. Plenty of women love long hair on a man. Maybe men feel they have something to prove to each other by being as least feminine as possible, and long hair is just seen as too feminine, like wearing the color pink. I think more men today realize they don't have to be 100% machismo to be happy, and find a "mate."

akilina
August 7th, 2012, 08:41 PM
I think that men growing their hair out from time to time is just a phase for most of them. My BF went thru a phase a few months back where he let his hair get about 6 inches long or so.

Not one man I know (they are all very manly) would EVER go say something like "Oh huhh huh looks like long hair for men is soooo coming back oh mi gawd I am going to grow my hair out now!" If one said that, I myself would probably punch them downstairs.

But however they do go thru these personal phases where they grow their hair longer from time to time individually.

As a hairdresser who has cut many many many mens haircuts (worked at a hair mill basically) the general consensus that I have found is that most men simply can NOT stand their hair feeling like it is touching their ears, or touching their neck. Most personally prefer short hair, and are usually not pressured by anyone to keep it short, other than their desire to not have hair everywhere and to look sharp and clean.

ElleLove
August 7th, 2012, 08:51 PM
i LOVE long hair on men -- and my husband knows this -- but he is an engineer, and has had fellow engineer friends at his firm be bluntly told by the "higher ups" that they will advance further in their careers if they cut their hair. and then they do. it's unfortunate, but i do understand in some professions a certain "clean-cut" appearance is expected.

sucks that shorter cuts on men in some areas are viewed as more "respectable..." -- it's a harsh reality.

at least my hubby has kept his beard... i also love beards :)

Diamond.Eyes
August 7th, 2012, 08:51 PM
I have personally noticed a trend in long hair for men. Having longer hair on the top and keeping it shorter on the sides is definitely popular among males in my age group right now. I think society pressure for men to keep their hair short is bogus. I think long hair is very attractive on men, sure short hair looks "cleaned-up", but I find longer hair to be very appealing. I don't personally like the look of a males hair past their shoulders, but that is just me. :flower:

ladylowtide
August 7th, 2012, 09:13 PM
I don't know if it is in. But I do think it is more acceptable than ever. My fiancee and his father both have long hair, MPL (man pec length) and hip length. Both are respected and are never accused of being too feminine. If anything for my fiancé it helps to not scare people away with is large frame and hyper masculine face :p... though some have said the long hair makes him more scary looking.......

All I know is in the privacy of our apartment I can experiment with braids on it :D

When he as work face to face with people it is never a problem.

As far as being uncomfortable, on his face and neck, he has is it a pony 90% of the time. I think it is long enough now that people never question him about it, it is enmeshed with his identity, not a fashion statement. He is comfortable with it, so I think everyone else around him is.

Logi Bear
August 7th, 2012, 09:16 PM
I personally prefer long hair on men, as long as it is well taken care of and styled appropriately. For example a man wearing high pig tails with ribbons like a little girl would look pretty stupid lol But a guy with a long bikers ponytail looks pretty cool to me. I have been sick and home bound for 3 years now, but even just occasionally looking out my window or going to doctors appointments ect.. I occasionally see men with long hair and It usually looks awesome.
You are never going to please every body, I think for both men and women there are mixed messages. In my own experience as a girl before I got sick, even when my hair was only bra strap length, some people would tell me they liked it and I should keep it, and others would come up with all kinds of reasons why I should cut it off. I imagine a guy would go through the same sort of thing. Some people might say they think his long headbanging length hair is cool, or a girl might tell him she thinks that long hair on men is sexy. Others will say cut it off! Cut it off! I can speak as a girl that no matter what you do with your hair, people will never be happy with it. If I grow it long people will tell me I need to cut it all off. If I cut it all off people will say I need to grow it long again. I can't make everyone happy, so I am going to grow my hair obnoxiously long... with NO LAYERS!!! *the horror* and ignore the haters. I think men should do the same. If they grow their hair long some will love it, others will hate it.. so what the heck? Men if you want long locks, GO FOR IT!

sunnydee92
August 7th, 2012, 09:37 PM
I've seen a lot of different hairstyles on men lately! I feel like it's pretty much up to them, but some people still judge...

I think some guys look AWESOME with long or long-ish hair! Example ;) :

http://iphonewallpaperclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Orlando-Bloom-Long-Hair-iPhone-Wallpaper-Download.jpg

MaryMarx
August 8th, 2012, 01:26 AM
I hope so, and I think yes, I've noticed a lot more longhaired men. Yay.

Humbug454
August 8th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Define "long", is SL long for a guy? Or mid back? Waist?

As a guy with long hair I wouldn't say its "in or out", it's just a choice to have long hair.
It greatly depends on what type of people you're with the most, as a musician and a fan of metal music a lot of my friends have long hair. Whereas, if I was a businessman I guess not so many people would have it! :P

In terms of social pressures I think on the whole we're moving (VERY slowly) away from the "men MUST have short hair". Again it all comes down to the culture you're involved in (cultures probably the wrong word here). Because I don't hang around with people who dislike long hair on guys, I don't get so many comments on it. Whereas if I did, then I probably wouldn't have long hair anyway!
I got a lot of insults and criticism when growing my hair, but once you move away from those people and meet new ones no one has really mentioned it. My previous job I would get comments all the time about "Shouldn't you get your hair cut soon?" from the other guys there, but some of the girls there would say they wished their hair was as long as mine!

As I said, just depends on who you are, who your friends are and your environment!

irisheyes
August 8th, 2012, 10:45 AM
My husband is 60 and growing his hair long for the first time. He looks so handsome! Long hair on men was a popular style in our youth, and a cause for public controversy and family discord. I never hear anyone debating this issue anymore. My husband never had long hair because of his career as a firefighter. He's retired now. No one dares to say anything to him about it!

DancingQueen
August 8th, 2012, 11:02 AM
I am seeing more guys with long or longish hair (and I will definitely not complain about that!) :D

About the pressure, I say ignore it. In fact, force them to grow it out :p no, but seriously, I think almost any man would look better if he grew his hair long.

Venefica
August 8th, 2012, 12:12 PM
I think that alternative appearance is gaining more and more acceptance, and that includes long hair for men. I also think that the popularity of fantasy movies and historical movies that show men with long hair is having an influence, so I think that long hair on men is becoming more and more common. Not that long ago, when I was a child a man spoke to the newspaper that he had trouble finding an apartment because he had long hair and my grandmother said, well then he should just get a haircut, I do not think that would happen today. I however still think that the image of a well dressed, smart man is a man with short hair and I think that is an image that should change. Long hair, short hair it do not matter it should depend on individual preference for both men and women.

TiffanieJean
August 8th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Huum… Depending on where you live the societal pressure varies. The longer your hair gets, the harder it is to keep it looking decent. I think that is why most people in general opt for shorter hair. I prefer when men have longer hair (ear-shoulder) and I have seen more with styles like that recently, but not many with real ‘long hair’.

Dang3rousB3auty
August 8th, 2012, 01:01 PM
My mom loves long hair on men...not super long just not super short buzzed look. (like how Rick Springfield' hair is) I don't think that long hair for men is ever in or out. It's usually their personal choice/lifestyle. Like if you are military you aren't going to be allowed to grow your hair out or if you work in a strict business atmosphere they most likely want the men to be clean cut with no long hair.

gthlvrmx
August 8th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Define "long", is SL long for a guy? Or mid back? Waist?

As a guy with long hair I wouldn't say its "in or out", it's just a choice to have long hair.
It greatly depends on what type of people you're with the most, as a musician and a fan of metal music a lot of my friends have long hair. Whereas, if I was a businessman I guess not so many people would have it! :P

In terms of social pressures I think on the whole we're moving (VERY slowly) away from the "men MUST have short hair". Again it all comes down to the culture you're involved in (cultures probably the wrong word here). Because I don't hang around with people who dislike long hair on guys, I don't get so many comments on it. Whereas if I did, then I probably wouldn't have long hair anyway!
I got a lot of insults and criticism when growing my hair, but once you move away from those people and meet new ones no one has really mentioned it. My previous job I would get comments all the time about "Shouldn't you get your hair cut soon?" from the other guys there, but some of the girls there would say they wished their hair was as long as mine!

As I said, just depends on who you are, who your friends are and your environment!
Yup yup, i like what he said!

But i honestly dont really care what a guy does with his hair. If he likes it, he likes it and thats it. As long as he's happy with it thats all that matters, even if i kinda prefer longer hair on a guy. That doesn't matter much.
I dont know if its really gonna grow in a trend but i dont think it matters. I never cared for fashion or trends.

Amorice
August 8th, 2012, 04:21 PM
I agree that its not really a trend, but something where the acceptance level varies depending on ones environment/sub-culture/career. My FI is trying to get a legal job, and even his "running for senator cut" (my nickname) is almost too long. He visits the barber every 8 weeks or so to keep it looking extra neat. (which might actually be totally normal, IDK, I've never gotten my hair cut more frequently than once a year, if that)

Personally, I like just about any hair length on a guy, so long as its well taken care of. Long hair can look great on men, but I've seen a few that really didn't know how to maintain it, and that, IMO, looks un-professional and like a mess.