PDA

View Full Version : Pro's and con's when stretching washes

Bambi
August 7th, 2012, 04:02 PM
I am wondering exactly what the title suggest, what are your personal experiences etc? I have just recently started with CO again in order to help me to begin "stretching":p.

Thank you all so much!

DarkCurls
August 7th, 2012, 04:22 PM
I wash twice a week (CO-washing) during school weeks, once a week during vacation.

Pros of stretching washes:
- less shedding (I never shed more than when I wash my hair :D)
- less product used (my hair eats up conditionner, so the less often I wash it, the better)
- less time spent on hair (I leave my conditioner on for half an hour when I wash, so...)
- hair gets softer and more manageable the further away I get from a wash
- less mechanical damage, since hair is most fragile when wet

Cons:
- ... :confused: Um... curls aren't as pretty? :p

RedheadMistress
August 7th, 2012, 04:47 PM
- My hair doesn't even notice when I stretch washes, it's curly/wavy and just soaks everything in and is happy . . I even oil it tonnes (when people write how many drops of oil they use, I use table spoons in comparison!) and my hair is fine . .

But I think it's different for all different tectures and lengths and whatnot . I'm just lucky this way :/

Vanilla
August 7th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Pros:
Hair is softer washing only twice a week

Cons:
Scalp gets itchy on the 3-4 day that I'm stretching washes.

Dang3rousB3auty
August 7th, 2012, 04:58 PM
I try to wash my hair every 2 to 3 days. I would love the stretch it further and I might try in the future, but that seems to be about the time my hair starts looking a bit icky.

Pros would have to be:
~Less time to get ready in the morning
~hair isn't as dry
~my "just washed" hair is very puffy and not very pretty, looks better the next day
~obviously I use less products
~my natural oils get to stay in my hair and help condition
~I don't use blow dryers and my hair can take a while to dry, if I washed everyday my hair would just be constantly wet/damp

I just feel better about my hair for some reason when I don't wash it everyday. I feel like if I can leave my hair alone for as long as possible it would appreciate it more then me constantly rubbing cleansers and conditioners all over it everyday.

fridgee
August 7th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Pros:
Less time washing
Spend less time with wet hair
Use less water, electricity and products (=less pollution too)
Less mechanical damage
Had to learn new updos to accommodate the greasies :p

Cons:
There is one day per wash cycle with not particularly pleasant looking greasy hair until my scalp catches up to the new routine
Can't wear hair down as often
Sometimes get spots on my scalp (not sure if this is from stretching washes or not)

Amarante
August 7th, 2012, 05:48 PM
I wash once a week.

Pros:
-less product usage
-my hair feels softer, more moisturized
-less time waiting for it to dry
-less to worry about

Cons:
...not really experiencing any.

akilina
August 7th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Ooo this is really interesting for me to read the replies myself :) I am not a stretcher but I would like to be.
I have the habit though that when I am in the shower, I can't help but to wash. Weather its CO or normal shampoo and conditioner. I also like to oil my scalp with castor oil. This is something I seriously have to wash out. Can not leave it in for a long time.

It sounds to me like the hair is much nicer stretching them.
I can't aim too high so at first I would probably wash every other day, CO style.

Does this mean that you don't even get water on the hair in between? Or do you rinse with water?

petali
August 7th, 2012, 05:59 PM
pros:
less fluff
less time
cons:
greasy
dry ends after 2-3 days

I wash every 2-3 days

Kelikea
August 7th, 2012, 06:33 PM
The pros and cons for me kinda vary depending on weather, activity level, and season. If it is cold or windy, I stretch washes more. Hot and humid, house cleaning, gardening, or heavy workouts= more washing.
pros:
when it is cold outside, then you don't have to worry about going out with wet hair
it is smoother and easier to put in braids or updo's on day 2 or 3 (day 1 hair is crazy to put up or braid, it gets poofy, frizzy, tangled)
In the winter time, I can sometimes stretch to 5 days
less water and product usage
cons:
when it is super hot and humid, I want to wash my hair and can only stretch to maybe 3 days, max
stretching washes can lead to itchy, flaky scalp/build up
scalp can look greasy after a few days, even in winter

Natalia
August 7th, 2012, 06:42 PM
I am wondering exactly what the title suggest, what are your personal experiences etc? I have just recently started with CO again in order to help me to begin "stretching":p.

Thank you all so much!

im wo and i took a kind of unconventional route to getting there. never had much luck stretching in the conventional ways so maybe till your scalp addjusts you could do wo washes on your off days? if you dont want to get your hair wet a bbb would be a good addition if your texture permits i forgot to check your classifier before posting lol.

Madora
August 7th, 2012, 06:44 PM
I wash once a month but brush every day (100) strokes with a clean bbb.

No cons for me!

Pros: saves water and electricity
saves on shampoo
saves time and having to mess with tangles

Emerald88
August 7th, 2012, 07:01 PM
The most I can make it is a week. I average twice weekly unless I am sweating a lot and then I will wash more. The con for me is greasy looking roots. Pros: hair is in better condition, spend less time (drying takes forever), saves water & money (less product).

longNred
August 7th, 2012, 07:02 PM
I'm 2x/wk...

Pros -
Less time spent with wet hair
I can now focus on Updo's instead of focusing on drying my hair first.
Less product used saves money.
Less water used.
Less shedding, which equals less clogged drains, which equals a happier hb, lol.

Cons -
I ink the only con is the time it took my scalp to adjust, to produce less oil. It got greasy fast at first, but now it's really not an issue unless I go past 4-5 days.

ravenreed
August 7th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Pros: Less time and water spent in the shower. Also, less time walking around with wet hair.

Cons: My hair gets very, very dry and my scalp feels yucky if I go more than 48 hours without COing.

Zesty
August 7th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Pros: My hair is so so so so soft after a few days of not washing. It feels healthier. I use less product. My scalp isn't as dry. Less time waiting for it to air dry!!!!!! Have to get creative with updos and accessories to hide grease. I don't have to wash in an unfamiliar place if I don't want to. It's less fluffy and tangly and far more manageable. Generally more low maintenance.

Cons: I've had to experiment to get rid of scalp flakes, greasy roots can be hard to style.

Tisiloves
August 7th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Does this mean that you don't even get water on the hair in between? Or do you rinse with water?

I don't get my hair wet between, I use a shower cap (or if I'm not doing much have a stand up wash rather than shower).

Pro-
Less time spent in shower.
Less product use.
Less time with wet hair.
Hair will actually do updos (first day hair is rubbish)

Cons-
I'm sure my housemate has some very suspect opinions of my hygiene.

dwell_in_safety
August 7th, 2012, 10:33 PM
I have stretched to roughly once a week. Sometimes it's more 9-10 days, sometimes 4-5, depending on how life is, but I aim for once a week and usually that's how it is. I also CO wash and wear my hair up all the time, so it doesn't exactly ever get dirty.

Pros:
-hair is never 'greasy'
-hair is always soft and shiny
-only losing one evening a week for hair drying time is pretty nice, I must say

Cons:

Bambi
August 8th, 2012, 03:06 AM
Thank you so much for your replies! Very interesting!
For many years ago I could stretch washing to maybe once a week, hopefully I can aim to do that again, but we will see. I do have a Mason Pearson BBB that I got last time I was in London and I love it. Is there a specific technique to "spread" the sebum or does it vary with different hairtypes?

Tisiloves
August 8th, 2012, 03:14 AM
For many years ago I could stretch washing to maybe once a week, hopefully I can aim to do that again, but we will see. I do have a Mason Pearson BBB that I got last time I was in London and I love it. Is there a specific technique to "spread" the sebum or does it vary with different hairtypes?

I think you just have to work it out, other than making sure you detangle very throughly.

I TT to detangle and start speading and then give a few swipes with the BBB to finish, but sebum tends to spead really easily on my hair (it's both a boon and a curse).

MonaMayfair
August 8th, 2012, 04:00 AM
The only pro for me would be less time sitting around with wet hair.

Ever since I got old enough to wash my own hair I've washed every third day. If I leave it an extra day I shed more hair when I comb (before the wash, not during) and my scalp starts to itch.

Besides which, I live in a filthy polluted city, it's gross to wash it as little as I do really.
When I've had to leave it longer than usual for some reason (illness etc) it's felt and looked disgusting (and I don't have greasy roots, it just looks limp and dirty)

Mya
August 8th, 2012, 04:25 AM
I wash once a month but brush every day (100) strokes with a clean bbb.

No cons for me!

Pros: saves water and electricity
saves on shampoo
saves time and having to mess with tangles
Wow!

How do you deal with buildup, especially on the roots? Or maybe your scalp is used to be washed once a month and doesn't produce buildup anymore?
How do you keep your length moisturized? Do you use any oil or butter?

Sorry for the barrage of questions. It's that I find your routine pretty interesting. :)

Amber_Maiden
August 8th, 2012, 05:10 AM
PROS:
cuts drying/washing times- I wash less.
oil on hair longer.

CONS:
hair is up most of the time.
use more oil.

Lunadriael
August 8th, 2012, 05:24 AM
Mine is mostly cons at the moment. I would really like to stretch my washings, but I exercise pretty much every day and then I sweat so it gets greasy really quickly.

When I was a kid I could easily last a week without washing it and it would still look fine. I am not really sure how to stretch it out now I have got into this bad cycle. I tried to go CO but my hair just looked greasy all the time. Maybe I didn't give it long enough to settle, but I just felt so disgusting, it was too miserable.

I was also trying to go cone free with it, so I didn't get build-up, and that made my ends even more grabby and tangled. In the end I just reverted back to my old coney shampoo and conditioner for my sanity. I am now thinking to throw all this SLS shampoo away and try to get my hair used to an SLS free one with nothing else in my shower tempting me to use it, and if possible stretch washes that way. I have a suspicion that the way I wash may be the cause of my split ends. Although weirdly I never see any of my hair shed in the shower (I am very careful with it when I am in there).

I am not sure if this is a good idea or not. I swear my hair has got dependent on the brand I use at the moment, it never used to be this bad! I have tried to swap shampoos with various others several times, but it just didn't like any of them anymore. I feel like an addict, argh.

Arakazi
August 8th, 2012, 05:29 AM
I was my hair once a week (approx).

Pros:
You don't have to wash your hair :D

Cons:
I have been getting a flaky scalp :( (Going to start ACV rinses to fix this)
A wee bit of dryness in my ends (coconut oil helps)

I'm sorry my Pro's and Con's list doesn't really say much good. BUT I think extending washes is excellent!!

SilverDoe
August 8th, 2012, 05:38 AM
I used to wash my hair every second day, now stretching to every third.
I have hormonally increased sebum production doesn't settle down at all, I'm very greasy the day before washing.
Since the increased oiliness, I've not been able to CO wash. Even struggling with using SLS free shampoo.

Cons:
Increased shedding. The extra sebum probably aggravates my scalp.
Greasy. I look dirty.

Pros:
None right now. I imagine less mechanical & water damage.
I used to be able to go four days without much trouble before I became this oily mess, waiting for it to work just as well once it's less humid outside.

dreamcatcher_
August 8th, 2012, 07:12 AM
I have gotten down to washing once a week, sometimes washing twice a week depending on if I sweat alot. Have been experimenting with CO, my hair seems to like it so far!

Pros: Less breakage, use less product, less shedding, less time sitting around with wet hair (I can't STAND the feeling of wet hair on the back of my neck, bleh!) :rolleyes: , hair seems to look longer on days I don't wash,

Cons: Greasy, itchy, flaky scalp. Gets a bit frizzy by the third or fourth day.

Madora
August 8th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Wow!

How do you deal with buildup, especially on the roots? Or maybe your scalp is used to be washed once a month and doesn't produce buildup anymore?
How do you keep your length moisturized? Do you use any oil or butter?

Sorry for the barrage of questions. It's that I find your routine pretty interesting. :)

There's no buildup because I brush every day.

I don't use oils or much in the way of moisturizing. Once in a while I'll use a few drops of mineral oil on the last 4 inches. I'm quite oil-phobic and keep my hair as close to natural as I can. I use diluted shampoo and have started using mineral oil to condition and detangle.

Because of my Reynaud's syndrome, I usually wear a scarf if the temp falls below 65, so that helps a lot in keeping my hair clean. Also, when I brush each day, I use a clean brush (it gets washed after every session).

Madora
August 8th, 2012, 07:53 AM

Bambi, there's no special "technique" to move the sebum down your strands. While you can brush standing or bent at the waist, I prefer the latter as you're able to reach more hair more efficiently, plus you have the added benefit of increased circulation while in that posture.

ps. For best results, brush consistently and daily. If you do 20 strokes a day, do 20 the next day and the next. Brushing works best if you're consistent.

Amorice
August 8th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Pros:
- freshly-washed hair used to be SO baby-fine, lightweight and thin-flyaway-ish that I couldn't leave it down. Now its just clean and pretty for the first 2 days!
- less time spent with wet hair
- less shed

Cons:
- day 4 feels greasy and nasty (I wash on day 4 or 5)
- if I have to wet it w/o washing, it feels.... weird. Almost greasier than if I'd just left it.

Bambi
August 8th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Bambi, there's no special "technique" to move the sebum down your strands. While you can brush standing or bent at the waist, I prefer the latter as you're able to reach more hair more efficiently, plus you have the added benefit of increased circulation while in that posture.

ps. For best results, brush consistently and daily. If you do 20 strokes a day, do 20 the next day and the next. Brushing works best if you're consistent.

I will try this for sure!:) Thank you!

Asprettyasme
August 8th, 2012, 04:58 PM
#error

#An error occurred.

Micayla47
August 8th, 2012, 05:17 PM

do you wash your brush with soap? what kind?

Madora
August 8th, 2012, 07:40 PM
do you wash your brush with soap? what kind?

Yes, I use a tiny bit of Neutrogena bar soap on a nail brush and brush vigorously between all the bristles, then rinse with cold water.

Once a week, the brush gets a soak in a tall plastic bottle with a little bit of my GM shampoo. Soaks for 7 minutes only, then is rinsed out with cold water.

Sabriel
August 8th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Pros:
It's great for my hair - definitely reduces damage
Saves time
I need to buy way less shampoo

Cons:
Sometimes my scalp doesn't react well, but I'm in the process of figuring that out
Social stigma (I just don't tell people or care that much anyway, but just fyi some people will think it's weird. They don't understand hair care though)

GrowingGlory
August 8th, 2012, 08:23 PM
PRO:
Less time, energy and money spent on hair
Stronger, moisturized hair with greater elasticity and fewer splits/broken ends
Sebum production regulates over time, so that in the future, even fewer washes are required
Rediscovering airing, scenting, rinses, updos and hats
More volume than ever before without product use

CON:
During adjustment period hair may be strongly scented, "piecey", and well-oiled looking
Food, drink and lifestyle choices may impact hair more (vapors of digestion are more noticeable, as if you had stopped using deodorant; you might want to cover your hair while in the restroom)
Absence of masking fragrances allows your natural scent to dominate (for better or worse)

Tisiloves
August 8th, 2012, 11:46 PM
Yes, I use a tiny bit of Neutrogena bar soap on a nail brush and brush vigorously between all the bristles, then rinse with cold water.

Hey, this is my method, too (well different soap), it gets all the fluff and dust off.

Madora
August 9th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Hey, this is my method, too (well different soap), it gets all the fluff and dust off.

Forgot to mention that before the brush is wet, I use a small wire hair "rake" to dig out as much of the fallen out hairs that get stuck between bristles.

Some folks use old toothbrushes to get between the bristles but I found a nail brush gave me more bang for my buck when it came to the washing process.

blondie9912
August 9th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Pros:
-I wash my hair less, duh! That's a benefit on its own
-my hair doesn't dry out as fast
-if I stretch washes for a really long time, I get this "Ahh, so clean" feeling when I finally wash

I don't notice that my hair has become a ton healthier by stretching washes, because I really don't this it has. It's simple more convenient to wash twice a week as opposed to every other day.

Cons:
-I shed a lot when I get to around the fourth day
-odd scalp pains when my hair is laying the wrong way
-my ends start to feel dry after a few days, and my hair in general just doesn't feel as fresh and bouncy

jacqueline101
August 9th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Pros less time spent on hair care save money on products and my hair loves it.

ladylowtide
August 9th, 2012, 03:34 PM
I wash once a week on average.

Pros:
-less neck pain from having heavy wet hair
-more time to do other things, don't have to spend to hours waiting for it to dry.
-save money on conditioner and shampoo (I CWC)
-it takes a lot longer before it starts looking dirty now (before it looked gross right away)
- my dry ends are much happier and softer now

Cons:
-I usually wear it up the last two days cause it looks a little flat
-people think its gross when they find out

Over all more pros than cons.

ARG
August 9th, 2012, 03:42 PM
I wash twice a week, but am attempting to stretch it out to once, more for convience sake than hair health.

Pros:
Less product used
Less time spent in the shower
My hair feels thicker in between washings
My hair is shinier
Less split ends
Less breakage
My scalp feels good
I make my own dry shampoo, so I can change the scent on a whim

Cons:
I wash my hair at night, so during the day just before a shower I'm self conscience of the "greasy" look and am constantly checking in the mirror to make sure my hair isn't clumping.

Shepherdess
August 9th, 2012, 03:54 PM
I usually only wash my hair when my scalp begins to itch, which is about once or twice a week (although I am now starting to do scalp washes, so I may not have to wash my whole length as much anymore).

Pros
-easier to take care of
-isn't wet all day (my hair takes almost two days to dry sometimes depending on humidity).
-less breakage (I think).
-feels softer

Cons
-gets oily looking
-doesn't curl as nicely
-doesn't have as much of a fresh clean smell (although it still is okay, maybe it just gets dust in it and that is what doesn't seem the same).
-Sometimes I get an itchy scalp.

teal
August 9th, 2012, 04:24 PM
I wash with either CO or a very dilute BS mix, then a dilute ACV rinse, about maybe once every couple of weeks. I've lost track but that seems about right.

You have to give your scalp several weeks to adjust. In the first couple of weeks especially, the scalp is still producing large amounts of sebum. That first week I think I just put it under a scarf the entire time, haha. Also, don't discount the power of water and mechanical action. Sometimes I wash my hair with just water but still massage the scalp and move the sebum down the hair shaft. It is surprisingly effective.

Pros:
- hair now takes several days to get greasy, sometimes more than a week, and if I keep washing with water every few days then it takes even longer
- less "residue". I put that in quotes because I never had a dandruff problem to begin with, but when I used s&c every second day (pre-LHC) I could always bring up a layer of something under my fingernails when I scratched my head.
- less hassle! I have to schedule hair washes because they take a while.
- less brushing and combing. Some styles can be worn for multiple days.
- light sebum makes for easy styling - not flyaway or frizzy from wash day.
- hair has great shine
- hair grown since stretching washes has stayed healthier, possibly because sebum stays present? This one's a bit hard to quantify.
- I don't smell of soapy scents. (I know some people like "smelling clean" but I prefer to smell like me! I like my natural head smell. Lol.)
- I'm more in touch with the cycles my hair goes through, like body cycles. My routine evolves with the seasons and other life events. I find this to be another good indicator for general health.

Cons:
- A bit more itchy from time to time. Not very often.
- Can't have easy hair-down styles without looking a bit greasy after the first few days BUT my hair is difficult to wear down anyway due to it being fine and wavy and me having young kids. (It's a recipe for disaster, trust me!)

PrettyFit
August 10th, 2012, 11:08 AM

Thank you all so much!

I currently wash 2 times per week (with at least one of them being CO). But in my case, this is an increase. Because my hair is dry, I used to wash once per week with regular shampoo and conditioner before I discovered COwashing. If I exceed 7 days, then my hair starts heavily shedding.

Cons of washing once per week
My hair got dirty between washes
length got frizzy from repeated workouts (I sweat on my scalp)
flaky scalp
flat, stiff hair by the end of the week

Pros of washing once per week
Heated styles last until the next wash. No need to apply heat during the week.

Pros of COwashing twice per week
Hair does not get dirty
Hair stays bouncier
I can clean the sweat and salt off of my scalp (from workouts)

Cons of COwashing twice per week
More manipulation (although my ends have gotten thicker)
I have to either air dry or subject my hair to heat twice per week. My hair looks very frizzy when air dried, so I look less groomed for half the week.

I have found that washing twice per week results in less shedding than washing once per week.

I read somewhere that sebum build up on the scalp can slow growth. Does anybody have any experience with this?

earthnut
August 10th, 2012, 12:12 PM
I'm not stretching washes currently because my CO-induced curls look like crap the second day. I'd like to though, because stretching washes:

uses less water and energy
don't have to wait for hair to dry
less mechanical damage

I don't use less product, because if I'm washing, I don't use that much poo and condish, and if I'm not washing, I use oils. So I'm putting stuff on my hair either way.

It doesn't really save me work either. If I'm not washing, I have to preen and oil for my hair to look its best. But I can preen and oil in front of the TV instead of having to get undressed and turn on water.