PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me someone else has super flat second day hair too :(

GracieRae
August 7th, 2012, 03:17 PM
It makes it difficult to skip washing or wetting my hair everyday.

Vanille_
August 7th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Maybe it's a matter of perspective? I like that my hair flattens/straightens the second day. But as with any bad hair day, if I don't like it, I just bun it and forget it :)

Hollyfire3
August 7th, 2012, 03:18 PM
You could do a sort of top knot before going to bed and leave it in all night, when taken down the next morning, volia, instant volume!:)

Freija
August 7th, 2012, 03:20 PM
I do sometimes; my hair is quite fine, so although there is a LOT of it it tends to squash down as it gets oilier. I cope by putting it back in a nice up-do on the second day, and by scalp-washing and conditioning the lengths every other day.

jillosity
August 7th, 2012, 03:24 PM
me too, lately I've been doing 2 french braids before bed, so I have fuller braid waved hair the second day, makes updo's a bit more interesting!

spookyghost
August 7th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Yes it happens to me too with a little greasiness as a bonus. I now wash every day mainly because I shed alot more if I wash every other day but also because I look like I have poor hygiene if I dont.

Loviatar
August 8th, 2012, 08:57 AM
I do, GracieRae. I just wash or WO (water only rinse) every day. I don't feel like it hurts my hair. once it's longer, I'll put it up on day 2/3, but for now I need to wash or rinse every day.

MsBubbles
August 8th, 2012, 09:07 AM
What's your hair type, GracieRae? If you have fine and straight hair, you may not be able to avoid it. I do scalp washes every day. My hair is not presentable otherwise, and I have to be presentable for work. But I'm talking a grease pool here, not just clean-looking yet flat hair. If you have just flat hair without the grease on 2nd day, I second the suggestion of sleeping with it in a topkot of some kind.

shutterpillar
August 8th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Yep, flat and greasy. But ONLY the top 5-6 inches. the rest of it is poofy. lol. I think thats just the heat/dye damaged area though, so hopefully when all that grows out I will have a much better time trying to control it.

Amorice
August 8th, 2012, 09:45 AM
I've been stretching washes for long enough that I don't get problems until I'm at third day hair, but I try to use it to my advantage. I put my hair up in braids or buns, and the grease makes it look like I slicked my flyaways down with some product.

petali
August 8th, 2012, 09:59 AM
I've been stretching washes for long enough that I don't get problems until I'm at third day hair, but I try to use it to my advantage. I put my hair up in braids or buns, and the grease makes it look like I slicked my flyaways down with some product.

:D
Hair sebum: The new, revolutionary styling product!

SilverDoe
August 8th, 2012, 10:08 AM
I spritz it with some water & aloe Vera gel & braid one or two dutch braids before I go to bed.
I wake up with awesome volume & pretty braid waves. :D Sock bun & rag curls is another option.

bunzfan
August 8th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Me to but if it is looking really flat and i think it looks a little oily i use my dry shampoo i love the stuff and means i can wash my hair just 2 times a week instead of the usual 3 times a week.

cremenoir
August 8th, 2012, 10:36 AM
wake-up-and-go second day hair isn't even an option for my wild waves and bangs. i'm not sure what i do in my sleep, but my hair always winds up a giant ball of frizzy waves on one side, completely straight and flat on the other, with bangs sticking straight up in the air. at the very least, i have to spritz it down with water every day, and sometimes i do a full WO rinse, and occasionally run a little conditioner through my ends. as long as i make sure to re-oil my ends a bit afterward, the daily wet-down doesn't seem to do any harm. maybe giving yours a little spritz every morning would help?

GracieRae
August 8th, 2012, 11:30 AM
I have fine hair and I'm a ii with a wavy canopy but my waves look awful on second day. Like I did an awful job of flat ironing parts lol. I slept with a top knot last night and when I let it down it was crazy looking!!! I must not know how to do it properly. It's not rocket science, lol! Gather, twist, wrap. So I'm sitting here with Caruso rollers on and maybe tomorrow an updo. P.s. I ordered Toadstool shampoo and conditioner after reading through the 77 pages of that thread! Can't wait to get them :)

millyaulait
August 8th, 2012, 11:47 AM
I do, too.

My hair looks best straight after it's dried after a wash, then it's all down-hill from there.

ladylowtide
August 8th, 2012, 12:38 PM
I love my hair on wash day, but I find that the volume decreases rapidly until my next wash day. I wash my hair once every week. I stumbled upon the sleeping in a top knot creates volume by accident. My hair goes from looking flat to being a lion's mane :) If you don't have time to sleep on the top knot, put it up, wash your body in the shower (careful not to get your hair wet (a little is okay) ), then dry off and take your knot down once it no longer lightly damp. Voila, maximum volume in a minimum time.

I also find as a straight haired girl with fine/medium hair that putting my hair up for days 4-6 helps discourage greases. I usually don't have noticeably dirty hair until the day I need to wash.

That being said I started out being and every other day washer because of noticeably greasy hair.

vanillabones
August 8th, 2012, 01:16 PM
I have started trying no cones, and now I am washing every other day again. I understand having to wash every day, my hair is very greasy and thin and it isn't presentable so I usually wash before I go into work at night. I wear my hair up ALL of the time so no cones and a little bit of jojoba oil instead of a coney serum is really making a difference for me as a fine haired thinnie.

catamonica
August 8th, 2012, 01:41 PM
If I didn't braid my hair, it would be flat to. I'm trying on weekends to wear it down more. Braid waves are great. Washing it once a week & one scalp wash. It's been so hot, it's hard to wear it down.

JellyBene
August 8th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Yep, flat and stringy. Nothing I have ever done has ever helped it either.

moltabella
August 8th, 2012, 03:26 PM
this definitely happens to me.

I am a curly and so when I take my satin head cap off in the morning and unbraid my hair, a lot of volume/bounce is lost.

If I am going anywhere (like work) I will just rinse + condition length and it brings that back, as my hair dries very quickly.

If not, then, I'm just at home anyway so I leave my flatter 2 day hair :rolleyes:

Elph
August 8th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Hay I have flat hair on day 1 and I have a natural wave - it just sits there doing its own thing and I just can not convince it to have body (Excpt when I had a perm 18months ago and I am now paying for it)

Learn to live with it somehow - it is what your hair does and without lots of hassel your not going to make it do something else.

Good luck.

Nenwing
August 8th, 2012, 04:19 PM
I haven't had any success trying to stretch washings. My hair just looks oddly flat and oily on the scalp, plus for some reason it goes really static in the length on the second-post wash day. I have very fine hair, so it shows very quickly when its not clean. Also I can't use any hair bands/toys in it if I plan to wear it down later because the hair will kink where the band/hair toy is.

BrownEyedBeauty
September 4th, 2012, 03:26 PM
My hair tends to flatten the day after washing too. Its the pitfall of having fine, straight hair I guess. Sometimes it still looks alright enough to wear down, it just tends to look flat ironed which is not necessarily a bad thing. If not, then I just wear it up.

ravenreed
September 4th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Mine isn't usually greasy, but it is so lank that I have wicked bad scalp cleavage.

see_turtle
September 4th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Me! My hair is nasty if I don't wash it. It's fine though I have a good amount. I wash almost every day sometimes pure tiredness wins in the AM and I skip showering but I ALWAYS regret it.

vanillabones
September 4th, 2012, 04:29 PM
I'm still washing every other day, with cones, and I only use sulphates once a week. My hair has been fine doing this but TODAY my hair is second day hair and it really looked awful... and greasy. I bunned it for work because it looked terrible in any other up-dos that I usually wear. I think using sulphates once every two weeks or week and a half worked better at maintaining this method for me.

I haven't been using my dry shampoo... as I'm afraid of damage and it seems no matter how much I rub it in you can tell I used dry shampoo. I wish I only had to wash my hair once a week - always have! :(

spirals
September 4th, 2012, 04:37 PM
wake-up-and-go second day hair isn't even an option for my wild waves and bangs. i'm not sure what i do in my sleep, but my hair always winds up a giant ball of frizzy waves on one side, completely straight and flat on the other, with bangs sticking straight up in the air. at the very least, i have to spritz it down with water every day, and sometimes i do a full WO rinse, and occasionally run a little conditioner through my ends. as long as i make sure to re-oil my ends a bit afterward, the daily wet-down doesn't seem to do any harm. maybe giving yours a little spritz every morning would help?
I had to :lol: because I recognize this scenario.

spirals
September 4th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Mine isn't usually greasy, but it is so lank that I have wicked bad scalp cleavage.
scalp cleavage is my new favorite phrase. :lol:

kitcatsmeow
September 4th, 2012, 04:51 PM
I second top knots! Gives me loads of volume and the longer I stretch the bigger the volume!

aspartame gram
September 4th, 2012, 05:20 PM
These are some things that have helped me: sulfate-free products, nothing with parabens or cones, wearing a bun to bed at night. I do have a lot of hair, so I'm not certain if that would make a big difference. The biggest thing that seemed to weigh my hair down was cones. Using sulfates definitely didn't help. Now, I go about three days without washing my hair.

Surprisingly, since making the switch, my hair actually smells better. I wonder if anyone else has experienced that? But anyway, I'm not sure if you've tried any of them. I hope something helps! Oh, and dry shampoo or baby powder really helps soak up the grease! I actually need to buy some more when I get the chance.

kdaniels8811
September 4th, 2012, 06:41 PM
I am with you all, my hair looks great freshly washed but since I let it air dry, washing in the morning is no an option. So I just wear it in a bun ALL THE TIME since I have to wear it under a net for work anyway. I am hoping if I ignore it long enough, it will magically 1) grow to waist! and 2) double in volume. It is really thin but I am blaming that on the chemo as I shed way more than I ever did before which does not help second day flat hair. Will try top knot braids next!

indiana
September 4th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Daily washer here. I know exactly what you mean!

HintOfMint
September 4th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Topknots at night work, but something I've just discovered is L'Oreal's Alcohol-Free Everstyle volume spray. It actually works ridiculously well, I lift up sections where I want volume and I spray it at the roots and work it in with my fingers. Normally I'm not one to evangelize about a product, but it really is great. Sometimes I'll give it a quick shot of my blowdryer, but it works great airdried too.