PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for quick updo's for APL hair

~honeyflower~
August 7th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Hello!

This is my last year doing 4H for anyone who doesn't know what 4H is, its a local club for kids from 4th grade to twelveth grade across the U.S who compete anywhere from animals, to science and home economics. This week, I am at the fair showing my dairy goats so my hair needs to be up and looks presentable because there are about fifteen different clubs competing each other for the barn trophy. I will need four hairstyles for each day and one for the show ring, I will need them by tomorrow. GO!

Hollyfire3
August 7th, 2012, 03:16 PM
How about a french twist? Or maybe a half up? A French braid, a Dutch braid, a crown braid?

battles
August 7th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Peacock twist with a fork, tucked french braid with sticks for two.

MinderMutsig
August 7th, 2012, 03:26 PM
I don't really understand why you need five different hairstyles for one event but here goes:
Peacock twist
French twist
French braid (tucked)
Gibson tuck
A bun (The lazy wrap was the first one I could do a little past APL if I did it really tight and placed my index and thumb very close together.)
Pulled through pony wrapped into a messy (side) bun.
Half up
Bunned half up
Rope braid (And all other braids but a rope braid is fairly easy and quick.)
Pony tail

Rosalaun
August 7th, 2012, 03:35 PM
I'm a huge fan of hair sticks if you happen to have any? Perhaps not the most practical things for 4H though haha but they could be a useful style to learn for general up-dos :)

-Double dutch or french braids look very pretty, and you could braid ribbons into them for a little something special (quite a common style for younger people in horse shows in England).
-Some kind of half up, perhaps braiding the hair around your temples and pulling those back.
-A five-strand braid would also be very pretty and practical, if you can get past the fiddlyness or get someone else to do it for you.
-Simple braided bun, pinned in place

For hairstick-styles:
-I can just about manage a lazy-wrap if I secure the ends with a grip, but my hair is about 2 inches off APL so you should manage a lot easier :) (guide here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=72, although probably worth getting on youtube for a video of it)
-Woven buns (guide here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=54), probably one of my personal fave buns - looks fancy but it's very easy to do.

~honeyflower~
August 7th, 2012, 03:54 PM
I don't really understand why you need five different hairstyles for one event but here goes:
Peacock twist
French twist
French braid (tucked)
Gibson tuck
A bun (The lazy wrap was the first one I could do a little past APL if I did it really tight and placed my index and thumb very close together.)
Pulled through pony wrapped into a messy (side) bun.
Half up
Bunned half up
Rope braid (And all other braids but a rope braid is fairly easy and quick.)
Pony tail

The event starts tomorrow and ends on Sunday at 9 p.m. Each day, the judges judge your club based on how clean your area is, how each member is presented to the public, and if the animals pens are clean and well kept. For the show ring, you are given extra points if you have your hair neatly up, your face is clean and your clothes are ironed and shirt is tucked in, I'm wearing all white because I'm showing a dairy animal. The club that gets the most points gets money for equipment and needs. Also gets a trophy that is passed around each year since 1910 there's a lot of competition in these f

~honeyflower~
August 7th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Sorry, I pressed the send button early.

Adding on: few days but its totally worth it!

MinderMutsig
August 7th, 2012, 04:08 PM
So you get points for your appearance because it shows you went the extra mile?
You may want to look into parandi then. There's a thread about them on here somewhere and there's a youtube video which shows how to make one and use it. You can (french) braid it into your hair and do a braided bun with it that has just a little bit extra because of the color accent. It also helps to make buns when your hair on it's own is still too short to make one.

They are also very comfy and give great braidwaves which can be useful to give an updo on day 2 a little extra.

I'm also a big big fan of the gibson tuck. I think it looks very elegant.

~honeyflower~
August 7th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Yup right on the bulls eye, thank you!

~honeyflower~
August 7th, 2012, 04:18 PM
So you get points for your appearance because it shows you went the extra mile?t.

Yup right on the bulls eye, thank you for the updo's!

MiamiPineapple
August 7th, 2012, 06:34 PM
When my hair was this length I wore my hair in a top knot everyday and I would get so many compliments. I would just put it up wet and it would stay all day. I am now past BSL and it has alot to do with being able to easily put my hair up in a top knot. You can search google images to see pics. Its basically a loop on top of your head pulled forward.

Madora
August 7th, 2012, 06:40 PM
This style is relatively simple and keeps your hair tidy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

Loepsie's sock bun video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3CryIfIyK8&feature=fvwrel

~honeyflower~
August 8th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Oh thank you everybody! Wish me luck!

Hollyfire3
August 8th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Oh thank you everybody! Wish me luck!

Good luck!:)

MinderMutsig
August 8th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Good luck! Take pictures and show them to us!

auroraclio
August 8th, 2012, 04:14 PM
I was in 4H! Yay 4H! Hope it all went well at your show!