PDA

View Full Version : Red Hair Help?

iSuperHeroic
August 7th, 2012, 10:16 AM
So, I'm thinking about dying my hair red the day before school starts, but I have swim practice.

I know how hard it is to maintain red hair especially with chlorine as an added factor, but I can't just quit swim team.

Is there a way or any precautionary measures I can take to try and keep the color in and vibrant as long as possible?

DancingQueen
August 7th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Maybe a swimming cap for practice? Other than that, I don't know much about hair dying. :)

Tisiloves
August 7th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Non-henna red is a massive PITA to keep going. I'd say wear a swim cap and get some red manic panic or special effects or something and sling a tablespoon or two in your conditioner (like blue conditioner for blonde hair).

Also black/dark/old towels are your friends.

adrowningfish
August 7th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Maybe try to shower in freezing cold water (or as cold as you can stand) before and after practice? Cold water closes the hair's cuticle, and helps lock in color. :)

iSuperHeroic
August 7th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Swim caps are mandatory for practice, and I'd wear them any way because I feel like it protects my hair. The only issue is swim caps don't keep your hair dry, they're only meant to reduce drag and get your hair out of your face. :/

iSuperHeroic
August 7th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Non-henna red is a massive PITA to keep going. I'd say wear a swim cap and get some red manic panic or special effects or something and sling a tablespoon or two in your conditioner (like blue conditioner for blonde hair).

Also black/dark/old towels are your friends.

I might try henna, I've never done it before though so I have no idea what to expect.

Does henna fade like normal red dye? And could I make it a vibrant, vibrant red?

Tisiloves
August 7th, 2012, 11:29 AM
I might try henna, I've never done it before though so I have no idea what to expect.

Does henna fade like normal red dye? And could I make it a vibrant, vibrant red?

Henna is very, very, very permanent, and stains somewhere between orangy-red (light application) and burgandy (saturation). You can achieve a pretty good red base with henna, but to go red red you would need to semi-perm (manic panic) on top.

The main problem is that if that's your real colour in your avatar you're going to need to pre-lighten your hair to get a real red even with box dye.

iSuperHeroic
August 7th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Henna is very, very, very permanent, and stains somewhere between orangy-red (light application) and burgandy (saturation). You can achieve a pretty good red base with henna, but to go red red you would need to semi-perm (manic panic) on top.

The main problem is that if that's your real colour in your avatar you're going to need to pre-lighten your hair to get a real red even with box dye.

Yeah, I've already Color Oops'd it once and it got to a dark brown shade, I'm going to do it again in a couple days.

So, if you do want to get henna out, how would you do that? Is it more permanent than permanent dye?

Tisiloves
August 7th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Yeah, I've already Color Oops'd it once and it got to a dark brown shade, I'm going to do it again in a couple days.

So, if you do want to get henna out, how would you do that? Is it more permanent than permanent dye?

Yes, the traditional way to remove henna is with scissors, if you are ever going to want to change your hair colour again I suggest doing this with box dye and bleach and living with the damage.

Even with henna you're going to need to pre-bleach.

ETA: henna removal thread. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=85463)

iSuperHeroic
August 7th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Yes, the traditional way to remove henna is with scissors, if you are ever going to want to change your hair colour again I suggest doing this with box dye and bleach and living with the damage.

Even with henna you're going to need to pre-bleach.

ETA: henna removal thread. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=85463)

I might not do henna then, LOL, I like to change my hair color too often to not be able to get it out and start over would kill me.

I'm kind of afraid to bleach my hair. :(

Tisiloves
August 7th, 2012, 01:03 PM
I might not do henna then, LOL, I like to change my hair color too often to not be able to get it out and start over would kill me.

I'm kind of afraid to bleach my hair. :(

Coconut oil before hand, and go low and quick. It's better to do two low bleach processes for short times than to over do it (plus DT/DC between and leave a day or two).

If you're box dying with Live XXL or something you don't need to get it really light, just within a couple of shades of your desired colour (start too dark and the boxed developer won't give enough lift).

For reference try this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=95138) thread about going bright red from dark the non-hair wrecking way.

Amber_Maiden
August 7th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Maybe a swimming cap for practice? Other than that, I don't know much about hair dying. :)

I say swim cap.

iSuperHeroic
August 7th, 2012, 07:17 PM
I say swim cap.

Swim caps don't keep your hair dry.

aisha.christine
August 7th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Use shampoo a lot less.
I would look into CO washes, and I think putting Manic Panic in your conditioner would help.
There are also red hair dyes for dark hair like this (http://www.lorealtechnique.com/hicolor_01.shtml).
I have a friend who uses this, and her hair doesn't really fade.
I do suggest oiling it before you use something with lift like this.

Hope this helps. :)

iSuperHeroic
August 7th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Use shampoo a lot less.
I would look into CO washes, and I think putting Manic Panic in your conditioner would help.
There are also red hair dyes for dark hair like this (http://www.lorealtechnique.com/hicolor_01.shtml).
I have a friend who uses this, and her hair doesn't really fade.
I do suggest oiling it before you use something with lift like this.

Hope this helps. :)

Do I need a type of developer for that product?? o: I might get it because the Deep Auburn Red color is the color I'm trying to get to

aisha.christine
August 7th, 2012, 08:47 PM
I'm pretty sure you need a developer. I'm not sure whether or not it comes with the product. I would check at like a Sally's Beauty Supply and ask them. They should be certain. If they aren't (which unfortunately sometimes happens) it should say what is in the box.