PDA

View Full Version : How do you recommend getting rid of layers?

digginit
August 6th, 2012, 11:23 PM
I have been able to get all my hair tied back for a little while now which is a relief, but I want to have all my hair the same length. Do you think it is better just to get it cut all back at the same time or to do a it a little at a time? I feel like it might be easier to do it all at once, but the thought of it being so much shorter is a little scary.

Diamond.Eyes
August 6th, 2012, 11:32 PM
I am currently growing out my layers, and that is basically the only thing you can do to get rid of them. You will have to maintain a certain length for a while to eventually cut them out. I'm going to be doing that once I reach classic length. :flower:

Falcore
August 6th, 2012, 11:43 PM
If the thought of it too short is scary then I'd recommend cutting them off bit by bit. Frustrating but eventually you WILL get them all out, without the fear of losing all your length.

lmfbs
August 6th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Since you say you can just now tie it all up, I'd cut gradually, maybe 1/2 inch every second month? That should be around 1/2 your growth.

spirals
August 6th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Hair pins and headbands are your friends.

BlazingHeart
August 7th, 2012, 01:37 AM
While I theoretically like the idea of cutting it all off at once, in practice I'm not doing it. Why? Because I'm barely long enough for a relatively stable bun now, and if I cut off the 8-10" of layers, there'd be no putting my hair up at all. Plan is to start trimming it now that I've reached that length, and just take maybe 1/2 of my growth for the next year or so...except that I keep putting off the first trim

You should go with your gut on this one. If you want it all gone, chop it. If you can't bear the thought of losing all that length, trim it out slowly.

~Blaze

julliams
August 7th, 2012, 04:04 AM
When I was wondering about this, everyone here recommended that I wait and cut off a little at a time instead of wacking it all off at a much shorter length. I'm really I did and you know, once I had got it all to one length - I ended up cutting those layers right back in.

bunzfan
August 7th, 2012, 04:07 AM
Micro trimming has got rid of them faster in the last 6 months than anything else i tried for the past 2 years.

lmfbs
August 7th, 2012, 04:19 AM
When I was wondering about this, everyone here recommended that I wait and cut off a little at a time instead of wacking it all off at a much shorter length. I'm really I did and you know, once I had got it all to one length - I ended up cutting those layers right back in.

Isn't that always the way! :rolleyes:

Hosta
August 7th, 2012, 04:47 AM
My hairdresser is great! She has been taking about 1/8th of an inch on my layers and 1/4" on the bottom every 6 weeks. It is slow, but I still get to see the progress.

digginit
August 7th, 2012, 08:07 AM
thanks, I think I will try and be patient then.

Kaelee
August 7th, 2012, 08:47 AM
I finally decided to ditch my layers but I only have about 2 inches of layered hair at the bottom. I'm cutting off about 1/4 inch every month (trimming myself) until they're GONE! I was going to wait till I got to waist and chop them off all at once but that will take YEARS!

sharonluvscats
August 7th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Chopping it all off really isn't an option for me. My shortest are just at shoulder. The rest are a lot longer. I'm going to just grow out to hip and start maintaining there until they are all gone.

lilyofthevalley
August 7th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Chopping isn't an option for myself either. My longest pieces reach my bra strap, and my shortest pieces are just past chin. Then there is everything in between.

My plan is to grow my hair out to my goal length, and just trim it every month or so until the layers have grown out to my satisfaction.

I do like a horseshoe shaped hairline in the back though, so I don't believe my layers will ever be the exact same length.

digginit
August 7th, 2012, 09:30 AM
It sounds like the consensus is to do it slow. I think that i sounding better to me too. I don't want to end up with the stub of a ponytail i would have if I evened it all out at once right now. thanks all.
http://i1257.photobucket.com/albums/ii512/fellow234/my%20hair/281249-1-2-1.jpg?t=1344348227

shutterpillar
August 7th, 2012, 09:38 AM
I am personally doing it little by little. my hair is BSL and my shortest layer is SL. Right now I am trimming 1/2 inch every 4 months and considering maintaining around waist length... though I am pretty sure when I get to waist it will be awfully tempting to try to go for my goal length of tailbone.... so I may keep growing. I guess it is just a touch and go thing for me. Nothing I can do right now but be patient and slowly cut them out.

koala
August 7th, 2012, 09:44 AM
If your hair likes getting trims, just continue getting your normal trims but don't get the layers cut anymore. They'll disappear before you know it!

In my experience, it's been much harder to keep layers in my hair and visible than it is to get rid of them.

Silken
August 7th, 2012, 09:45 AM
I had more layers than a millefeuille pastry, lol. I cut off a big chunk, and I'm letting the rest grow out until I reach WL. Then I'll microtrim.

Logi Bear
August 7th, 2012, 12:14 PM
I have horrible looking layers from growing my hair out from a shave, my hair is healthy but very messy looking and it is still in that awkward stage. I can put it up in a small ponytail with the help of clips and pins, but it looks horrible down and I am really looking forward to cutting out all these horrible looking layers. It has been about 7 months maybe more since I have any sort of hair cut or trim.. my mom once tried to study to be a hair stylist but never became one... and she has OCD. She gets her hair cut and dyed multiple times a month, and if she suspects her hair to be uneven in the slightest she goes back and has her hair cut and cut and cut till it is perfect. She has been trying to grow her hair out since I was like.. BORN and has never been able to because of this. Whenever she comes over to see me she is always telling me I need to get my hair trimmed. She says that it looks horrible and that I have split ends. I DON'T have split ends, i have checked for split ends and there are NONE.. I have been VERY kind to my hair, no heat, mostly wide tooth combing, only wash my hair with natural things, and I have as a healthy a diet as I can manage via feeding tube... and for the first time in my life I have gone more than 7 months without ANY split ends! Image that.. Anyway, she also one of those who has been led to believe that cutting your hair will magically make it longer, and she knows I am trying to grow my hair out. So needless to say every time I see her we have the unavoidable question of when I am going to cut my hair. To be honest I would like to wait until my hair gets to maybe tailbone, and then I would like to hack off all the messy layers all at once. But I think I am going to have to cut them off long before then because my mom really is going to have an OCD attack about my hair.

jacqueline101
August 7th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Time and growing them out I'm growing mine out.

cobden 28
August 7th, 2012, 04:54 PM
When I was growing out short layered hair I had my hair trimmed regularly till the shortest layers were short enough to tuck behind my ears. From then onwards it was just a matter of growing the length.

In 2008 I had hair that could be tucked into my waistband but with the remains of a fringe at bra-strap length. I'd not been able to get to a hairdresser for 18 months so I had to go for a brutal chop to armpit length to get rid of the remains of my fringe and 18 months'-worth of awful split ends. I couldn't return to work with my hair looking a mess; I needed to look reasonably smart for an office environment, hence getting rid of all that hair at once.

Four years later my hair is all the same length and back at the length the longest layers were before the 'chop'.:)