PDA

View Full Version : Scalp only washes

mallorykay13
August 6th, 2012, 09:54 PM
My grandmother had classic length hair when I was younger and she is the only one I trust my hair with. She showed me how to do a scalp only wash and wanted to use some different products on me. She put a ponytail at the nape of my neck and braided my hair. She put it behind my back and put my scalp in the sink! Genius. She used John Frieda Radiant Red Daily Shampoo and Conditioner. She worked the shampoo through my scalp and rinsed. Then she took some of the conditioner and watered it down, ran it through the canopy of my hair, didn't rinse and then put a towel over my head, like a head scarf. The ends were completely dry! Magic. My grandma recommend to do this every other time you wash, either in a sink or in the bathtub. I think the challenge is going to be keep my braid from falling over my shoulder, but I think it will be worth it. This is something that I am going to implement immediately. I think another thing you have to keep in mind when doing this is that the length sometimes needs moisture put into it... So you would just have to play that by ear I suppose. So.... AWESOME.

TheMechaGinger
August 6th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Can't wait till my hair is long enough to try this, I bet my ends will love it

mallorykay13
August 6th, 2012, 10:40 PM
It was awesome, and the closest thing I get to a salon treatment. Someone else actually washed my hair for me. <3

Sewas
August 6th, 2012, 10:45 PM
This is a wonderful tip that I will use. My length stays very clean and shiny when I stretch my washes but I wind up shampooing because my scalp starts to get a little smelly and itchy by third or fourth day. Thank you for sharing, and thank your Grandmother.

mallorykay13
August 6th, 2012, 10:49 PM
I will. She will be very flattered I posted about her here. She thinks that TLHC is amazing, although she isn't growing out her hair and has since taken small cuts/trims and finally settled at shoulder length, and she is happy there. She will be tickled pink when I tell her.

OakTreeGirl
August 6th, 2012, 11:52 PM
Thanks for starting this thread. I was actually contemplating starting a thread asking if there were any people who did scalp only washes. I've heard of people putting their hair up in a loose bun, and then pouring the water only on the scalp with a mug. I think that would be hard for me, though, depending on what was used to secure the bun. It did not occur to me to braid it back. Maybe I will try that. I just hope I can keep the length dry.

Shepherdess
August 6th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Wow! Thank you for sharing! I had never thought of doing something like this before! I will definitely try it!

BambooBeauty
August 6th, 2012, 11:57 PM
Wow, Thanks for sharing! Im going to try this out tomorrow

mallorykay13
August 7th, 2012, 12:45 AM
Thanks for starting this thread. I was actually contemplating starting a thread asking if there were any people who did scalp only washes. I've heard of people putting their hair up in a loose bun, and then pouring the water only on the scalp with a mug. I think that would be hard for me, though, depending on what was used to secure the bun. It did not occur to me to braid it back. Maybe I will try that. I just hope I can keep the length dry.

I think the key is to lean your head down, so that way the water runs forward instead of back. The ponytail at the nape of the neck keeps water from wicking too much and gives you a cut-off point, and I think tucking your braid under your shirt would keep it from getting wet.

gracenotes
August 7th, 2012, 01:29 AM
I really ought to try this, especially since I've been washing more frequently this summer (every other day instead of once a week).

fridgee
August 7th, 2012, 02:01 AM
Thanks for posting in detail what your grandma did. I'm interested in starting scalp washes and wondered if people still conditioned or not, but dilute conditioner sounds like a good idea. Also the braid down the back then inside your shirt sounds more sensible than I've seen it before with a braid from your crown which you have to hold up out the water while you tip your head forward.

Gabriel
August 7th, 2012, 05:19 AM
Your grandmother's method sounds like it will work for a lot of folks. Many of us do scalp washes regularly and have several different methods.

I make a loose pony at the top of my head and tie it off with a small, soft terry scrunchie and then braid the length. I clip the end of my braid to a shower curtain ring and scalp wash that way.

I've been doing this for a couple of years now.

MoonLover
August 7th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Thanks for this great idea! I've been washing my hair too much in the summer because of biking in the heat. Hopefully this will be better

fridgee
August 7th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Your grandmother's method sounds like it will work for a lot of folks. Many of us do scalp washes regularly and have several different methods.

I make a loose pony at the top of my head and tie it off with a small, soft terry scrunchie and then braid the length. I clip the end of my braid to a shower curtain ring and scalp wash that way.

I've been doing this for a couple of years now.

I love that you clip it to a shower curtain ring! Thats awesome! Will be several years before I can manage it that way tho!

alexis917
August 7th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Your grandmother sounds very knowledgable! I love my grandmom, but she has had a boycut for as long as I can remember, and the longest I ever saw her hair was to her shoulders. She firmly believes shorter hair looks the best. Personally, I love longer hair, because I feel very boyish with shorter hair.

Shepherdess
August 7th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Your grandmother sounds very knowledgable! I love my grandmom, but she has had a boycut for as long as I can remember, and the longest I ever saw her hair was to her shoulders. She firmly believes shorter hair looks the best. Personally, I love longer hair, because I feel very boyish with shorter hair.

Yeah, my grandmother is like that too! :)

Well, I tried a scalp wash today. It worked very well! I put my hair in a loose ponytail then braided it, after that I got one of my belts out and then tucked my braid into it to keep it out of the way. I dunked my head in the bathtub and then put an apple-cider vinegar tea tree mixture in, then rinsed it out and rubbed in a gentle lavender shampoo afterwards to get rid of the smell. Now my scalp feels a lot cleaner and fresher and I didn't even get my braid wet! :inlove:

OakTreeGirl
August 7th, 2012, 11:40 PM
I think the key is to lean your head down, so that way the water runs forward instead of back. The ponytail at the nape of the neck keeps water from wicking too much and gives you a cut-off point, and I think tucking your braid under your shirt would keep it from getting wet.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm going to try this method, although knowing how clumsy I am, I'll probably find a way to get water every where. Perhaps, if that happens, I can experiment with some kind of plastic wrap.

Zindell
August 8th, 2012, 06:04 AM
She put a ponytail at the nape of my neck and braided my hair. She put it behind my back and put my scalp in the sink!

Oh my! So easy and so genius! Thank you for the tip! And bless your kind grandmother for showing this to you and us. :)

I will definately try this since my hair usually get greasy on the scalp but hardly ever on the lengths. This new way to wash should keep my hair healthier!

Bambi
August 8th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Wow! Thank you so much for sharing! I will definately try this tomorrow after my exercise.

Beatnik Guy
August 8th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Many of us scalp wash in the shower, by holding the length in a bag or shower cap, facing forward into the water so only scalp gets wet and then shampooing with the other hand.

Bambi
August 9th, 2012, 05:50 AM
I tried this for a couple of hours ago and I am amazed! This is probably a good solution for my hair as my scalp tends to get oily after a couple of days( I try to stretch them as much as I can) but my ends are fine. I love the fact that I can just leave them and CO my scalp! Once more thank you!

hyettf16
August 9th, 2012, 09:15 AM
The only problem I see with this is that you might have trouble rinsing it ALL out, especially for those people with thick hair.

jextxadore
August 9th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Thanks for sharing…will do this with tea in the morning. I can probably stretch my end-washes for up to a week, but my scalp starts getting grimy after just a day.

jextxadore
August 9th, 2012, 12:43 PM
The only problem I see with this is that you might have trouble rinsing it ALL out, especially for those people with thick hair.

Good incentive to try tea, which can be left in :)

AineMuirne
August 9th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Oooh, I was wondering about this. My scalp gets greasy the day after a wash and my showers take foooreeeeverrrr, lol. I like to wear my hair down, and if I want to wear it down every day I need to wash it every day. I'll have to try it to save myself some time.