PDA

View Full Version : Drywall sanding + Hair = Not very happy hair!

Nymfora
August 6th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Well I've been slowly working on renos here and in the 14' x 9' boot room there is new drywall which we taped and mudded. Here's the issue though, I've been the one sanding it all and for the past three - four days I've been sanding it and the dust was flying in my hair and I tried water rinsing since it wasn't wash day yet, but sadly today when I finally finished the sanding and primed two walls I took my hair down from the cinnamon bun and WOW I was horrified :couch: it felt dry, and kind of like straw and some strands were breaking. I did a small moisture-oil treatment before my shower (added some conditioner, evoo, some of my carrier oils and EO's) but I had a really big shed, didn't count though but I know it was more than I usually get even on my normal wash days.

So was this big shed from all the drywall dust? Did it cause my hair to get very dry and straw like, it was also breaking a bit to.

Falcore
August 6th, 2012, 09:59 PM
I don't know if it would/has caused your shed. But as for the plaster drying out your hair, I would say yes. Plaster absorbs moisture which it's possible it absorbed your oils/moisture from your hair. I know when I sand back bog on cars (it is much like a talc substance) if my hair is not covered properly it drys my hair out terribly (and plaster is a much more absorbent substance compared to bog).

I would suggest keep feeding your hair more moisture..

Hope this helps and good luck!

trolleypup
August 6th, 2012, 10:12 PM
And keep it covered!

Tisiloves
August 6th, 2012, 10:14 PM
If you didn't cover your hair it might be that the plaster irritated your scalp and provoked a shed.

Just do a nice DC and remember to wrap you headscarf tight next time and you should be fine.

Natalia
August 6th, 2012, 10:34 PM
not sure what your wash routine is but id try coing for a bit to moisturize and help get out the dust. when your hair gets more managable if texture permits id go through it with a fine tooth comb. and as the others said keepit covered next time :). if co doesnt fit your routine maybe try a mister like kimberlilly's spray.

sakuraemily
August 7th, 2012, 09:28 AM
I think you're right about what happened. I also think that the shed could be due to your pores getting clogged by all the dust.

Nymfora
August 7th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Thanks for all the good post and helpful tips :D It is feeling alittle better but I might do a small CO tonight from my ears down the the lenght to help it a bit more maybe. With all the walls and ceiling primed I do have to do a bit more touch up sanding so I'll try and get my hair covered as best I can, although when i cover my ahir in this heat my scalp gets very sweaty lol.

Crybb
August 7th, 2012, 09:08 PM
i believe drywall mud is alkaline. perhaps ACV?
i have done a lot of renovations myself and i feel your pain!!!