PDA

View Full Version : Interested in natural shampoo...

ArienEllariel
August 6th, 2012, 03:26 PM
I've been wanting to get away from commercial shampoos and conditioners. Lets face it, most are full of hard to pronounce chemicals that really aren't good for you. And "organic" or "natural" bottled shampoos and conditioners like Burt's Bees are a bit pricey.

I've had good success with using coconut oil for a leave in and even as a pre-treatment before shampooing. Yet I'm at a loss as to what I can use to actually "wash" my hair. I tend to avoid proteiny shampoos as regular use gives me tangly unmanagable hair. Any ideas of not too harsh herbal preperations or rinses? Help this newbie out!

dixid
August 6th, 2012, 03:33 PM
I wash my hair with baking soda and rinse with apple cider vinegar for conditioning/detangling and then rinse with warm water. I started washing this way due to allergies, but my hair has really loved it.

afu
How about shampoo bars (there is a huge thread in the conventional products section). Most are veggie oil based (some do use SLS so watch out, especially Lush) and don't contain anything synthetic. I know there are a few big sellers in the USA, if you aren't there then Etsy and ebay would be your next best bets. I just bought a couple from ebay to try out, they havn't arrived yet but contain olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, palm oil, aloe vera gel and mandarin EO and thats it

Amber_Maiden
How about a herbal shampoo bar? There are great ones out there.

Amber_Maiden
August 6th, 2012, 03:34 PM
How about shampoo bars (there is a huge thread in the conventional products section). Most are veggie oil based (some do use SLS so watch out, especially Lush) and don't contain anything synthetic. I know there are a few big sellers in the USA, if you aren't there then Etsy and ebay would be your next best bets. I just bought a couple from ebay to try out, they havn't arrived yet but contain olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, palm oil, aloe vera gel and mandarin EO and thats it

haha! We posted at the same time about the same thing!!

ArienEllariel
August 6th, 2012, 04:05 PM
baking soda.. that's fairly simple... how much soda do you use?

I'll have to look into shampoo bars. I'd perfer if I could mix my own herbs together though and wash. lol just not sure where to start.

battles
August 6th, 2012, 04:10 PM
I don't know anything about herbs, but I third the shampoo bars.

I love what they do to my hair, they usually make it wavier and super shiny when combined with vinegar rinse. :)

ETA: We seem to have similar hair types, and my hair also hates protein. :( FWIW, I've had the best luck with shampoo bars out of anything I've tried. I'm just too lazy to prepare a vinegar rinse most of the time.

ArienEllariel
August 6th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Battles, cool! I really like vinegar rinses. I make it easy on myself by keeping the Apple Cider vinegar in my shower with a large cup. Very easy not to forget that way.

battles
August 6th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Battles, cool! I really like vinegar rinses. I make it easy on myself by keeping the Apple Cider vinegar in my shower with a large cup. Very easy not to forget that way.

I love them too. :D I'd like to try adding EO's like peppermint and see if it makes it smell nicer. Keeping it in the shower is a great idea.

trynnagonatural
August 6th, 2012, 04:47 PM
I love them too. :D I'd like to try adding EO's like peppermint and see if it makes it smell nicer. Keeping it in the shower is a great idea.

I have been wondering how the vinegars make the hair smell....so not so good?

ArienEllariel
August 6th, 2012, 04:51 PM

I notice a bit of a vinegar smell lingers on hair even when completely dry but it's more of a "clean" smell than a salad dressing smell. lol I also make sure to rinse mine completely out.

ratgirldjh
August 6th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Clay washes are another option and they are greatly customizeable! Egg washes work great for many people too. I also had the best luck with soap/acv rinse or a poo bar/acv rinse.

kidari
August 6th, 2012, 05:26 PM
I have been trying to go as low-poo as possible and WO has been helping me out. I don't use anything in my hair besides some oil on the ends and then rinse my hair with cool water making sure to really massage my scalp well. I haven't been doing this very long so I WO everyday and still need to use shampoo 1-2x per week. Also, because I still have the habit of doing a deep treatment once a week and need to shampoo everything out. The strange thing I've noticed is that the less I use on my hair, the better it looks and the less I need to use on it. Last week I tried rinsing with flat beer as a way to "shampoo" it without using shampoo. It worked out nicely.

dixid
August 6th, 2012, 07:30 PM
baking soda.. that's fairly simple... how much soda do you use?

I'll have to look into shampoo bars. I'd perfer if I could mix my own herbs together though and wash. lol just not sure where to start.

I use a tablespoon of baking soda mixed with some water to form a paste to shampoo. It won't lather, obviously, but it does clean. Then I rinse with 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to each 1 cup of water. I usually mix this up a gallon at a time and just keep it in the shower. Some people don't rinse out the acv, but I do. If the smell bothers you add in some essential oils, or even vanilla. Once you've rinsed it out and your hair dries, there's no residual smell of vinegar.

dixid
August 6th, 2012, 07:31 PM

When I was adding a drop of vanilla to my acv rinse I was told that I smelled like a cupcake. Not sure if that's a good thing or not? :confused:

GrowingGlory
August 6th, 2012, 09:07 PM
I suggest infusion of organic rosemary. Just make a pint of rosemary tea. Pour off half to drink with honey and steep the rest until it cools. Strain and use. Can be rinsed out if desired. Add marigold (calendula) and chamomile if it is too drying/darkening/reddening. Good luck!

Also, the hibiscus in Celestial Seasonings "Zinger" teas makes them effective as a cleansing rinse. Rooibos (maybe with a little chamomile) works, too. HTH.

Natalia
August 8th, 2012, 05:55 AM
another vote for poo bars. or if you just want to test run it get a sample size liquid veggie soap like bronners saw an a coconut one today but dont know the name. with the liquid when you mix it to dilute add a shot of oil to help mellow it out. since it isnt supperfatted its a bit more harsh but the oil will help buffer that. and dont forget the acid rinse!

i dont shampoo often so i dont mind shelling it out for aubreys jay which is my favorite.

AineMuirne
August 8th, 2012, 08:51 AM
I make my own shampoo with 3 parts castile soap and 1 part coconut milk with a dash of honey. I've been doing it for a few weeks and it works really well. I condition normally and run coconut oil through my hair once a week or two (and leave it in for a day) to deep condition it.

EndlessSunshine
August 8th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Rosemary smells so good and is great for hair. I drank some rosemary tea last night to relax. I will steep a teaspoon of rosemary in about to cup of hot water for as long as it takes to cool, then add half a cup of white vinegar. I will use this as a rinse when I am stretching washes.

ravenheather
August 8th, 2012, 10:24 AM
I like poo bars. I've also had luck with a cup of green tea with a spoonful of honey and one of vinegar. I'm currently waiting on a clay/herb wash to arrive.

moxamoll
August 8th, 2012, 10:41 AM
I use poo bars as well. But rhassoul clay and shikakai are also options. I found them a bit drying, but some people have good luck with them. You can also make or buy soap nut liquid for washing.

Natalia
August 8th, 2012, 07:14 PM
I make my own shampoo with 3 parts castile soap and 1 part coconut milk with a dash of honey. I've been doing it for a few weeks and it works really well. I condition normally and run coconut oil through my hair once a week or two (and leave it in for a day) to deep condition it.

ohhh coconut milk is a brilliant idea! geez i never would have come up with that i love creative people.

AineMuirne
August 9th, 2012, 06:00 AM
ohhh coconut milk is a brilliant idea! geez i never would have come up with that i love creative people.

I got the recipe from here: http://www.crunchybetty.com/not-ready-for-no-poo-try-sorta-poo-with-coconut-milk-and-castille

Lots of interesting stuff in that blog. :)

kitekats
August 9th, 2012, 06:07 AM
There is aritha powder and soap nuts-haven't tried any of them, but I just ordered soap nuts on ebay, will see, how they work. Apparently you have to boil them in water, let it cool and then wash scalp, also you can load them in washing machine and wash clothes with.