PDA

View Full Version : I need to clarify--advice please

spirals
August 6th, 2012, 11:27 AM
I've been experimenting and I think I have a buildup of soap scum and silicones and oils. I usually never clarify, so I'm not sure what's best. Here are my ideas: a)full-on dish detergent, b)some kind of baking soda wash, or c)using 100% vinegar instead of diluted vinegar as a rinse. Which one do you think I should do? Also, if you advise baking soda, please clue me in on how to do it. Thanks, y'all! :)

Tia2010
August 6th, 2012, 11:31 AM
I like to use VO5 Kiwi clarifying shampoo followed by an ACV rinse. I can't do baking soda, it always makes my hair nuts!

I have heard good things about the Nutrogena clarifying shampoo too, but I haven't used it... The VO5 always works well for me and my hair feels very clean and buildup free, so I stick with what works for me. :)

ETA: Just make sure to follow your clarifying with a good deep conditioning. I always wash twice then deep condition for a few hours and my hair feels fine afterwards.

Macaroni
August 6th, 2012, 11:34 AM
On the rare occasion when I need to clarify, I use this:

http://talkingmakeup.com/makeup/suave_shampoo.jpg

spirals
August 6th, 2012, 12:05 PM
OK, I'm thinking detergent is the way to go, then. I guess I need to do a DT. I have conditioner and several oils in the house. I guess that would do it, huh?

brave
August 6th, 2012, 12:07 PM
I would heavily dilute the detergent. And I would avoid full power ACV like the plague; it can be extremely irritating and it is not a clarifier, not really. Maybe do an SMT afterwards.

Otherwise I know people mix baking soda with their conditioner and follow with a dilute ACV rinse and that seems to work out well. I use Prell, personally.

Dang3rousB3auty
August 6th, 2012, 12:52 PM
full on dish detergent :O eek I would never ever do that

Baking soda could work, if your hair doesn't freak out afterwards. I usually mix it with some water and massage it over my scalp.

ACV should never be used full strength.

Sounds like you are trying to murder your hair instead of clarify it lol

Sometimes just using a different shampoo then I usually use on a day to day basis seems to clarify my hair a lot.

Definitely if you are going to be that rough on your hair, you need to deep condition the crap out of it afterwards.

jeanniet
August 6th, 2012, 01:36 PM
I would just go out and get a clarifying shampoo. I use Neutrogena on the rare occasions that I need to clarify, and it works fine. Dish detergent is going to be unnecessarily harsh, 100% vinegar will be worse, and BS works but the amount to use really depends on your hair. If you want to try BS, I would start with no more than a teaspoon in a pint of water and see if that's enough. Most people suggest more like 1-2 tablespoons, but that's often way too harsh. Make sure whatever you do, you condition well after (and use an acid rinse after the BS, but not straight vinegar!).

Madora
August 6th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Neutrogena Anti-Residue Clarifying shampoo has several good reviews here.

I used it recently for the first time and it really does strip your hair, and leaves it feeling weird..but that is what its supposed to do.

I used mineral oil afterwards and it left my hair soft, shiny and supple.

I would not put detergent on my hair for all the gold ever minted. Ugh!

Zesty
August 6th, 2012, 03:33 PM
I know you're probably trying to save money or plastic or avoid commercial products, but I would really, STRONGLY recommend just getting a legitimate clarifying shampoo. If you won't do that, baking soda has worked for some of our members, but for others it's really dried their hair out. Vinegar does not clarify, and I would personally not use dish detergent in my hair, diluted or otherwise. It might not be a disaster for you, but there is that risk. I know clarifying shampoo has the reputation of being the same thing as dish detergent, but trust me, it's not. So please consider just biting the bullet and using a commercially available shampoo, for the sake of your hair. :flower:

spirals
August 6th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Update: I used natural dish soap. Then I used a rinse-out conditioner and my usual Shea Moisture leave-in. It's clean like it used to be when I used shampoo. I think I'm going back to conventional shampoo, just something gentler than SLS. S & C was easier than bars and special rinses anyway. But I think I'm keeping the leave-in and scrapping the squirtable plastics.

Madora
August 6th, 2012, 04:33 PM
I know you're probably trying to save money or plastic or avoid commercial products, but I would really, STRONGLY recommend just getting a legitimate clarifying shampoo. If you won't do that, baking soda has worked for some of our members, but for others it's really dried their hair out. Vinegar does not clarify, and I would personally not use dish detergent in my hair, diluted or otherwise. It might not be a disaster for you, but there is that risk. I know clarifying shampoo has the reputation of being the same thing as dish detergent, but trust me, it's not. So please consider just biting the bullet and using a commercially available shampoo, for the sake of your hair. :flower:

Excellent post, Zesty!! Truer words were never written.

swearnsue
August 6th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Update: I used natural dish soap. Then I used a rinse-out conditioner and my usual Shea Moisture leave-in. It's clean like it used to be when I used shampoo. I think I'm going back to conventional shampoo, just something gentler than SLS. S & C was easier than bars and special rinses anyway. But I think I'm keeping the leave-in and scrapping the squirtable plastics.

I'm glad that worked for you. Luckily clarifying doesn't have to be done very often, like every two or three months.

colormeindie
August 6th, 2012, 05:07 PM
my hair is sooo difficult to clarify.

i use a bit of dish soap with vitamin c. I know its for getting color out of hair, but its the best technique for me :] however, afterwords i use a protein conditioner since I've bleached my hair a lot in the past and it helps keep the stretchy-ness at bay.

lmfbs
August 6th, 2012, 07:18 PM
spirals can I ask why you were so set on using dish soap rather than shampoo?

I'm glad that worked for you. Luckily clarifying doesn't have to be done very often, like every two or three months.

I CO was with 1/2 cone free, 1/2 coney conditioners and I'm glad to say I don't have to clarify that often!

spirals
August 7th, 2012, 12:37 AM
I was out of shampoo altogether and wanting to shower/wash my hair before I left the house. I've used it before with no real adverse effects, but I was wondering if there was a better way. The stuff I used is organic/natural/vegan and not as harsh as say, Ajax. I do need to find a non-SLS shampoo that doesn't cost a fortune. I don't want to use the common brands because of animal testing if I can help it, but I'm trying to save money right now because I have to give more of it to my dentist. *sigh*

jeanniet
August 7th, 2012, 01:46 AM
The SM moisture retention shampoo is really nice and SLS-free. Not sure about the animal testing aspect.

lmfbs
August 7th, 2012, 04:24 AM
I was out of shampoo altogether and wanting to shower/wash my hair before I left the house. I've used it before with no real adverse effects, but I was wondering if there was a better way. The stuff I used is organic/natural/vegan and not as harsh as say, Ajax. I do need to find a non-SLS shampoo that doesn't cost a fortune. I don't want to use the common brands because of animal testing if I can help it, but I'm trying to save money right now because I have to give more of it to my dentist. *sigh*

Thanks for the explanation, it would have bugged me all night if I didn't find out!