PDA

View Full Version : How to wash out Castor Oil

mzBANGBANG
August 6th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Tried searching but the function is being very frustrating right now even with advanced search, that being said if anyone has a link to a thread please link me!

I put WAY too much castor oil in my hair. I've shampooed it twice so far and it is still a greasy mess. I've done some ACV rinses too to try to get rid of the oil, but nothing is working. It's actually really embarrassing because I've been meeting with fairly new clients all day :-/

Any non-damaging techniques I could use or should I just keep hitting the shampoo bottle? I seriously look like a drowned rat. On the other hand, my hair feels awesome! But yeah, it needs to be gone. I've been trying to hide my roots with a headband, and I noticed in the office that I had some scraggly pieces hanging out all day, ugh, embarrassing...

Is this a case for Dawn dish soap? I was considering washing it again while I am on break but I'm kind of shampoo phobic. I'll take any advice, other than the obvious -- use less castor oil!

bunzfan
August 6th, 2012, 11:24 AM
The best way is to co it out like in this article http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=222 it always worked for me.

millyaulait
August 6th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Shampoo isn't that great and PLEASE don't use dishsoap! shudder:

Please coat your hair in cheap/cone-free conditioner & leave it for 20-30m, then rinse.

That should work! :flower:

akilina
August 6th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Start with diluting your castor oil with something like Sweet Almond oil :)
That made a WORLD of difference for me and I still get the benefits. All the EOs in mine might have thinned it a bit more too. I use Rosemary EO, tea tree, lavender EO, and peppermint EO.

For washing, maybe a half hour before the wash soak in conditioner. I found cone free works best. I also do two CO washes to get it out and it works great.

Heres thee thread http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18265 :D

mzBANGBANG
August 6th, 2012, 11:27 AM
The best way is to co it out like in this article http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=222 it always worked for me.

Shampoo isn't that great and PLEASE don't use dishsoap! shudder:

Please coat your hair in cheap/cone-free conditioner & leave it for 20-30m, then rinse.

That should work! :flower:

Thank you both so much!!! I'm so lucky I can work from home a little today, maybe I can get this taken care of before my last appointment!

mzBANGBANG
August 6th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Start with diluting your castor oil with something like Sweet Almond oil :)
That made a WORLD of difference for me and I still get the benefits. All the EOs in mine might have thinned it a bit more too. I use Rosemary EO, tea tree, lavender EO, and peppermint EO.

For washing, maybe a half hour before the wash soak in conditioner. I also do two CO washes to get it out and it works great.

Heres thee thread http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18265 :D

My problem is I use a petroleum jelly based Castor Oil treatment, not the pure stuff. I'm hoping out of the advice given SOMETHING will work. I normally CO, imagine my distress using two different kinds of shampoo in the shower this morning, washing, washing away!

Thanks for the link

akilina
August 6th, 2012, 11:33 AM
My problem is I use a petroleum jelly based Castor Oil treatment, not the pure stuff. I'm hoping out of the advice given SOMETHING will work. I normally CO, imagine my distress using two different kinds of shampoo in the shower this morning, washing, washing away!

Thanks for the link
Ohhh...I have one like that. The brand is Hollywood Beauty or something like that...is that the one you have?
Darn well is buying castor oil an option at all? Its in the laxative section at walmart...less than 2 dollars too :]
That would be very distressing to have to use shampoo!

PolarCathy
August 6th, 2012, 11:37 AM
My idea is:

You may try cornstarch (soak up as much as you can) then conditioner (slap it on, leave it in the hair for say 1 hour). If the condish still doesn't work, clarifying shampoo.

Anywhere
August 6th, 2012, 11:46 AM
why not try soaking it in conditioner? I heard that removes oil better than shampoo.

KellieKay
August 6th, 2012, 11:59 AM
You could try putting shampoo on your before you wet it. That is what works for me.

Dang3rousB3auty
August 6th, 2012, 12:59 PM

Thanks for the link

ohhh nooo I would avoid anything that was mineral oil/petroleum jelly based like the plague. Mineral oil is a cheap filler and gives absolutely no moisturizing benefits. It's more likely to lock out any other products or moisture you try to apply to your hair. Definitely try co washing. I never did that before I read it on here and I find the oil comes right out of my hair with no need to shampoo a second time. It's magical!

Hope it works for you

jeanniet
August 6th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Mineral oil actually does work for moisturizing for many people (not me, but others do like it), used on damp hair. But if you put too much of a vaseline-based product in your hair, it can be hell to get out (and that's not really the castor oil, but the vaseline/petroleum jelly). Castor oil is really pretty absorbent. I'd do the CO route; that's likely to be much more effective than shampoo.

mzBANGBANG
August 6th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Mineral oil actually does work for moisturizing for many people (not me, but others do like it), used on damp hair. But if you put too much of a vaseline-based product in your hair, it can be hell to get out (and that's not really the castor oil, but the vaseline/petroleum jelly). Castor oil is really pretty absorbent. I'd do the CO route; that's likely to be much more effective than shampoo.

My hair has always loved mineral oil, that's why I went with it! I knew when I was applying gobs and gobs of it I was doing too much, but the problem with applying it to wet hair is you can't feel much of a difference. My hair seriously feels like heaven right now, it's just that little bit of oil residue left over. I was in such need of some kind of treatment.

I am trying the CO routine. I've had the same bottle of shampoo for months, lol, I was so desperate I think I used about half of it with NO EFFECT whatsoever! I have my hair piled up in CO as we speak. Wish me luck!

Dang3rousB3auty
August 6th, 2012, 05:39 PM
My hair has always loved mineral oil, that's why I went with it! I knew when I was applying gobs and gobs of it I was doing too much, but the problem with applying it to wet hair is you can't feel much of a difference. My hair seriously feels like heaven right now, it's just that little bit of oil residue left over. I was in such need of some kind of treatment.

I am trying the CO routine. I've had the same bottle of shampoo for months, lol, I was so desperate I think I used about half of it with NO EFFECT whatsoever! I have my hair piled up in CO as we speak. Wish me luck!

yes, from my understanding mineral oil makes you think your hair/skin is so soft and moisturized but in the long run it will actually be drying it out so you just keep reapplying it.(it cannot penetrate your hair so it only sits on top like a coating which could be good if you are deep moisturizing your hair then want to seal in the moisture) Mineral oil will most likely hinder anything that the castor oil might have done for your hair in the first place, so I would try using pure castor oil.

I sure hope it comes out! I hate that weird greasy wet feeling when you don't get a product all out of your hair >:|

mzBANGBANG
August 6th, 2012, 06:17 PM
yes, from my understanding mineral oil makes you think your hair/skin is so soft and moisturized but in the long run it will actually be drying it out so you just keep reapplying it.(it cannot penetrate your hair so it only sits on top like a coating which could be good if you are deep moisturizing your hair then want to seal in the moisture) Mineral oil will most likely hinder anything that the castor oil might have done for your hair in the first place, so I would try using pure castor oil.

I sure hope it comes out! I hate that weird greasy wet feeling when you don't get a product all out of your hair >:|

I kind of thought that was the point of applying it to wet hair, to lock in moisture?

I just want it out of my hair, honestly. lol

lapushka
August 6th, 2012, 06:55 PM
I kind of thought that was the point of applying it to wet hair, to lock in moisture?

Yes, except mineral oil, especially in large quantities, and especially when it's in a paste-pommade-like form, is very hard to wash out of the hair. It's not even like regular castor oil (think 10x worse), and that can already be difficult to wash out!

Immera
August 10th, 2012, 10:55 AM
I recently started using castor oil, was surprised by its thickness. Definitely a situation where less is more.
When I over oil, I don't stress over it. I wash my hair daily, so if some of the oil remains, I bun it, and know eventually it will wash out.
I like mineral oil as a detangler at night. lots of slip. another where less is more.