PDA

View Full Version : Hait tie damage ugh :(

Sabriel
August 6th, 2012, 10:06 AM
My hair is SO susceptible to mechanical damage. Overall my hair my hair looks pretty healthy (and getting better and better since joining LHC) but I always have damage. The term "split ends" sound silly to me because I get damage and splits all over the place, and frequently it's not at the bottom of the strands of hair. It's damn good thing I never wanted to blow dry, straighten, dye, tease, etc my hair because I imagine it couldn't handle it.

Anyway, I've known for awhile now that hair ties are a problem but it was so bad this morning that I broke down and decided to make a thread. I almost never have the problem of strands getting caught or tangled on the tie (which is supposed to be the common problem?), but I guess some get caught the wrong way because they end up all crinkled which eventually turns into splits. Depending on the style, I use regular hair ties (with the ? over it that is supposed to make it less damaging) and also the little plastic ones because I need tiny ones frequently and they actually seem to be less damaging.

Besides being super careful (I'm trying!) does anyone know anything that can help?

Thanks in advance :)

millyaulait
August 6th, 2012, 10:10 AM
My hair broke off with hair ties. I have a demarcation line of doom thanks to the damage.

After switching to acrylic hair sticks I have had *no* breaks or snags whatsoever.

You can get colors that blend in with your hair color if you want to be discrete.

They are super easy to use & very secure too. :flower:

brave
August 6th, 2012, 10:59 AM
I know many people use cut up pantyhose and tights instead of hair ties, because they are less damaging. Or the little tied elastic ones -- I think target now sells some, and lots of different people on etsy.

petali
August 6th, 2012, 11:03 AM
I use enormous scrunchies. My hair is also super delicate, so when I braid my hair I put a big, fat scrunchie on top. I haven't noticed any breakage, yet.

Amber_Maiden
August 6th, 2012, 11:25 AM
I know many people use cut up pantyhose and tights instead of hair ties, because they are less damaging. Or the little tied elastic ones -- I think target now sells some, and lots of different people on etsy.

Yep, that's what I use! NO DAMAGE! :D

Sabriel
August 6th, 2012, 01:18 PM
I have hairsticks but the only style that I can get to be comfortable and stable is a braided chinese bun which requires the little plastic elastics. I do think they are better, but they also gave me all that damage this morning.

Scrunchies would be too big for little braids or when I have to braid to the end of my hair, but that sounds like a good idea. I will try it and if it helps I'll use it whenever possible :)

The pantyhose thing also sounds like a great idea,I will definitely give it a try!

Thanks for the ideas! If anyone else has any I'd love to hear them! :)

Yozhik
August 6th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Another endorsement of DIY pantyhose ties -- they're very gentle, and so far I can't report any damage from them. :)

patienceneeded
August 6th, 2012, 01:55 PM
I use the ones made of fold-over elastic (FOE) that you can buy on etsy or even at Target now. I actually ordered FOE online and made my own. It's REALLY simple and cheap. The ties are super-soft and I have seen zero damage. My DD likes them too and wears them as bracelets...

melusine963
August 7th, 2012, 05:18 PM
I wish I'd taken a photo of the ring of split ends I'd get back when I used hair ties with metal. It would serve as a great warning to others. I'm sure that a lot of my taper comes from growing out this damage, even though it's been years. Even now that I've switched to non-metal ones, I still worry about creating damage near the roots. I prefer to use hair ties to tie off braids, making sure to use them as close to the ends of my hair as possible. That way any damage caused will be trimmed off before too long.

akilina
August 7th, 2012, 05:59 PM
No matter how "gentle" or "ouchless" the hair ties are...they seriously shred my hair :/
I cringe at putting one in my hair for bed.
Perhaps you could try some satin scrunches. Or something of that soft slippery satin-ey feel.
If you are using hair ties daily, perhaps you could switch it up to hair sticks or forks or clips

vanillabones
August 7th, 2012, 06:14 PM
I love scrunchies! I like using them lately much better than the little girl hair ties. I like the little rubber ones too at the bottom of a braid they seem less damaging to me. But satin scrunchies are great.

Tristania
August 7th, 2012, 06:14 PM
I have an insane demarcation line from wearing hair ties. In the end I just gave up on them completely - even the "gentle" ones seem to eat up my hair. Lately I've been toying with the idea of trying satin scrunchies though.

Madora
August 7th, 2012, 06:35 PM
My hair is SO susceptible to mechanical damage. Overall my hair my hair looks pretty healthy (and getting better and better since joining LHC) but I always have damage. The term "split ends" sound silly to me because I get damage and splits all over the place, and frequently it's not at the bottom of the strands of hair. It's damn good thing I never wanted to blow dry, straighten, dye, tease, etc my hair because I imagine it couldn't handle it.

Anyway, I've known for awhile now that hair ties are a problem but it was so bad this morning that I broke down and decided to make a thread. I almost never have the problem of strands getting caught or tangled on the tie (which is supposed to be the common problem?), but I guess some get caught the wrong way because they end up all crinkled which eventually turns into splits. Depending on the style, I use regular hair ties (with the ? over it that is supposed to make it less damaging) and also the little plastic ones because I need tiny ones frequently and they actually seem to be less damaging.

Besides being super careful (I'm trying!) does anyone know anything that can help?

Thanks in advance :)

Sounds to me like you have a moisture problem. Splits are due to either lack of moisture or mechanical damage.

Mineral oil helps keep moisture in your hair longer, plus leaves your hair soft, shiny and supple. It is also a great detangler and helps tame frizzies. More info here:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

You also might be interested in reading about using catnip rinses to combat the splits:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118

As far as mechanical damage is concerned, be sure that your comb is a wide tooth one, and free of seams.

If you brush, be sure you detangle your hair first!

Good luck!

Sabriel
August 7th, 2012, 10:03 PM
I'm surprised to see so many with the same problem! Thanks so much for all your input!
I'm going to buy foe and/or panty hose asap and try that. Unfortunately I've been having a lot of trouble making hairstick styles comfortable/stable with the exception of the braided Chinese bun - and i need ties for the ends of the braids. At this point there's nothing I can do with my hair that doesn't require a tie. =[

Madora - I just started adding olive oil to the coconut oil I put in my length 1-3 days before I wash. I've only washed once and my hair was noticeably softer and I think more moisturized. When I figure out the full effects of olive oil I will consider your suggestions :) I didn't know that about mineral oil, definitely useful information!
I gave up brushes and combes like a year ago :) moisture problems may be making things worse but I know for sure that my hair is very sensitive to mechanical damage. The best way for me to detangle is carefully with my fingers. I do have a BBB that makes my hair look awesome, but I was afraid that it was damaging so I stopped using it.

I just noticed that I spelled hair wrong :lol:

petali
August 7th, 2012, 10:34 PM
I heard that if your hair snaps easily, it lacks moisture. Hair experts, is that right? And what are some moisurizing treatments you can do?

Dark Queen
August 7th, 2012, 10:57 PM
I don't use ties that often, but I've had pretty good luck with some cheap woven ties I found at the 99 cent store. They're pretty soft, and don't have any metal nor hard pieces of glue.

blondie9912
August 8th, 2012, 08:51 AM
PANTYHOSE! Cut up an old (or a pair you never wear) of nylons into strips that are about two inches thick, and they will automatically bunch up into the perfect hair-friendly hair ties :)

AineMuirne
August 8th, 2012, 09:44 AM
I love hair sticks/chopsticks. I rarely put my hair up with a hair tie after discovering them. When I was in high school marching band I had to put my hair up with a hair tie to get it up in my hat and I had a solid line of damage. Thankfully, that line is gone now.

lunalocks
August 8th, 2012, 10:55 AM
I, too, have damage from hair ties, even soft scrunchies - in part because a pony causes stress by pulling against the scalp (especially if hair is damp or wet), but also because I had been wearing a pony for dancing and I would tighten it repeatedly. I took a year off of wearing a pony and now do, maybe once a week. I am still growing out the damage. The hair that would be the middle of the pony is perfect. The hair that would be in the outer part of the circle, a lot of it just snapped off.

I discovered spin pins and do the majority of my buns with them or a fork and rarely do buns with a tie. Even buns that require a tie, I do without. I just figure out a way. Mineral oil has helped the individual hairs become stronger. I have very few splits in the hairs at 35 inches.

Sabriel
August 8th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Thanks for all the input everyone!

I have a question about foe.... is it a specific thing or "just fold over elastic?"

Basically, is this foe?

http://www.etsy.com/listing/102394560/soft-shimmer-elastic-ribbon-hair-ties?ref=sr_gallery_2&sref=sr_5d4f7e122d2f0e44fbc1edf6a8f546a591d48e3aa2 bfe605582850ccc419e160_1344448435_14263372_hair_ti e&ga_search_query=foe+hair+ties&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=ZZ&ga_min=0&ga_max=0&ga_page=2&ga_search_type=all

It looks exactly like other items on etsy that are labeled foe, but I want to pick the colors lol

Littlewing13
August 8th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Yep I get it too. Use snag free ones but it still snags. recently it snagged so badly that I had to tear my hair to get it out! Took off 1/2in of hair! I have an old satin pillow case that fell apart that I might sew into a scrunchie (when I can be bothered). Hair sticks still damage for me. I'll try the nylon too. thanks everyone! great thread! :)