PDA

View Full Version : How do you know if you are having a shed?

SoulOfTheSea
August 6th, 2012, 01:25 AM
*Sigh*

I've been losing so much hair, and my single braid is the thickness of what one pigtail braid used to be...

I just have been noticing, along with my sisters and mother, that my hair has thinned out quite a bit over the past year or two. It feels so discouraging to even leave my hair down or in a braid because it looks so thin. I just don't know if I'm having a big shed, or if my shedding is normal (I should really count how many hairs I lose in a day....) or if I'm having some kind of vitamin deficiency or thyroid problem.

I perhaps sounds like I'm freaking out a little, because I am, but my main question is how do you know if you are going through a shed? When do they like to occur? Please share with me any knowledge you have about large sheds, I would really appreciate it.

bunzfan
August 6th, 2012, 01:54 AM
*Sigh*

I've been losing so much hair, and my single braid is the thickness of what one pigtail braid used to be...

I just have been noticing, along with my sisters and mother, that my hair has thinned out quite a bit over the past year or two. It feels so discouraging to even leave my hair down or in a braid because it looks so thin. I just don't know if I'm having a big shed, or if my shedding is normal (I should really count how many hairs I lose in a day....) or if I'm having some kind of vitamin deficiency or thyroid problem.

I perhaps sounds like I'm freaking out a little, because I am, but my main question is how do you know if you are going through a shed? When do they like to occur? Please share with me any knowledge you have about large sheds, I would really appreciate it.

I had the same thing happen it was scary how much hair was coming out but luckily i worked out why it was a conditioner i was using the minute i stopped using it the shedding stopped. Has any stressful event happened? for some people they shed a lot when they are very stressed also are you sure its not a product your using? is your scalp very itchy?

bekstamonkey
August 6th, 2012, 02:40 AM
I seem to shed a heck of a lot when I use sulfates...shed a LOT less when using 'poo bar and ACV, might see a few hairs in brush...but when I use sulfates, my brush is teeming with hair that's shed...perhaps try different products? You didn't mention what you washing routine is, but I would try playing around with different products first and see if that makes a difference. My hair has thinned a lot over the past few years, too, so I just can't afford to lose more than is needed, required some experimentation LOL but now I know :)

sakuraemily
August 6th, 2012, 06:10 AM
It happens at particular ages apparently. If you're not approaching middle age or haven't delivered recently or hit puberty recently then you could be shedding because of some unsuitable product. Sometimes products that seemed fine for a long time could also be causing shedding due to build up.
I suggest that you pay great attention to your diet. Protein is terribly important for hair formation. Many diets ask you to eliminate protein or minimise it. While they may help you lose weight they'll also help you lose hair.
Also minerals like zinc and copper and manganese are needed for good hair.

jojo
August 6th, 2012, 06:45 AM
Some people liKe, myself are seasonal shedders, I shed hardly anything until September comes and then do I shed! I am going through it earlier this year, it's quite alarming to see lots of falling hair but for me it's been the pattern for the past 6 years that I've been aware of. I don't let it worry me as I know it's just what I do, maybe this is happenening to you too?
If its any consolation my big shed always follows a growth spurt, so keep smiling you never know, you may have the same pattern as me!

SoulOfTheSea
August 7th, 2012, 10:43 AM
I had the same thing happen it was scary how much hair was coming out but luckily i worked out why it was a conditioner i was using the minute i stopped using it the shedding stopped. Has any stressful event happened? for some people they shed a lot when they are very stressed also are you sure its not a product your using? is your scalp very itchy?

I've had a very stressful past year or two, very stressful. But the stress has slowed down because it's summer vacation, but the shedding has not stopped. :confused:

I seem to shed a heck of a lot when I use sulfates...shed a LOT less when using 'poo bar and ACV, might see a few hairs in brush...but when I use sulfates, my brush is teeming with hair that's shed...perhaps try different products? You didn't mention what you washing routine is, but I would try playing around with different products first and see if that makes a difference. My hair has thinned a lot over the past few years, too, so I just can't afford to lose more than is needed, required some experimentation LOL but now I know :)

It's weird, I've used sulfates all my life with no problem, and have used the particular S&C I'm using right now before with no issues... I have no idea if it could be the products I'm using. The only other thing I put in my hair besides shampoo and conditioner is oil, and I don't even put it in my roots.

It happens at particular ages apparently. If you're not approaching middle age or haven't delivered recently or hit puberty recently then you could be shedding because of some unsuitable product. Sometimes products that seemed fine for a long time could also be causing shedding due to build up.
I suggest that you pay great attention to your diet. Protein is terribly important for hair formation. Many diets ask you to eliminate protein or minimise it. While they may help you lose weight they'll also help you lose hair.
Also minerals like zinc and copper and manganese are needed for good hair.

I get good amounts of protein on a daily basis, but I have been slacking on my daily vitamin.. perhaps I should start that up again. And I'm not on any particular diet, so I know it can't be that... Maybe I should try taking biotin?

Some people liKe, myself are seasonal shedders, I shed hardly anything until September comes and then do I shed! I am going through it earlier this year, it's quite alarming to see lots of falling hair but for me it's been the pattern for the past 6 years that I've been aware of. I don't let it worry me as I know it's just what I do, maybe this is happenening to you too?
If its any consolation my big shed always follows a growth spurt, so keep smiling you never know, you may have the same pattern as me!

If this is what is happening to me, I wonder why it started at 19 years old. O_o Or is that when normal shed patterns start?

dwell_in_safety
August 7th, 2012, 11:17 AM
I've been shedding a lot lately and have lost some thickness, but I'm confident that I'll gain it back. I very recently cut some people who were causing stress out of my life, and I had build up on my scalp at all times in the last house I lived in due to well water (despite a softener, and citric acid rinses). I think those two factors were causing a lot of the shedding, and so far the past few days have been much better... I have my fingers crossed, though.

I have heard that some people go through a shed wherein they permanently lose thickness around the ages of 18-22 (that could also be what has happened to me, but I'm really hoping not!). I would see if you have any family history of that, if it's even something that would have been noticed. Good luck.

ravenreed
August 7th, 2012, 12:13 PM
I lost a LOT of hair after a surgery the February before last. My hair tends to shed easily anyway, but it always grows back almost as thick as it was. I have a lot of new hairs that are at shoulder length and am looking forward to when everything catches up. I did notice that I shed more when I was using SLS shampoos, so products can affect shed rate too.

I think you need to figure out if you are shedding or thinning. They are two different things. If this is a chronic thing, I would highly suggest talking to a doctor about this. There are several medical conditions that can cause shedding or thinning of hair, as can some medications.

lapushka
August 7th, 2012, 01:18 PM
If, for some reason, you shed so much that your hair loses *significant* thickness, then it's about time to go see a doctor, IMO.

KwaveT
August 7th, 2012, 06:45 PM
My shedding is medication. If it weren't for medication I imagine I would not even be shedding much with all MSM that I take.

bunnylake
August 7th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Tell your doctor about it, because there are many medical reasons for excess shedding. Don't panic, because stress makes it worse! Just rule out a medical issue, that's all. :)

Emerald88
August 7th, 2012, 06:56 PM
I definately know about shedding! The worst started after surgery and I lost over an inch in circumference. There was really nothing I could do about it since the surgery and all the stressful cicumstances at the time were not optional. The good news is that I did gain back my thickness over a 2 year time frame.
I was freaking out and did not want to cut the length, but when I finally broke down and trimmed 5 inches off, the shedding started to decrease and I saw a lot of new growth.
In the past 2 weeks, I have started shedding a lot again and some may be due to stress, but I have tried to use some products again that did not work for me before to use them up and I am getting major tangles and I think that may be causing my problem so I am going to stop them pronto.
I'm sorry you are dealing with this as I know how discouraging it can be. Check your products, tweak your routine or maybe try a little trim if it's been a while. Baby your hair as much as possible and hopefully it will turn around for you quickly.

jojo
August 7th, 2012, 07:20 PM
I've had a very stressful past year or two, very stressful. But the stress has slowed down because it's summer vacation, but the shedding has not stopped. :confused:

It's weird, I've used sulfates all my life with no problem, and have used the particular S&C I'm using right now before with no issues... I have no idea if it could be the products I'm using. The only other thing I put in my hair besides shampoo and conditioner is oil, and I don't even put it in my roots.

I get good amounts of protein on a daily basis, but I have been slacking on my daily vitamin.. perhaps I should start that up again. And I'm not on any particular diet, so I know it can't be that... Maybe I should try taking biotin?

If this is what is happening to me, I wonder why it started at 19 years old. O_o Or is that when normal shed patterns start?
Maybe it's always been the pattern but your just more aware now? I certai ly never noticed any pattern until joining LHC and I've got quite a few extra years on you ! She'd patterns can change too due to hormones, your a 19 year old girl who has
Probably gone through a huge hormone surge due to puberty and it's most likely down to that, also when your hair is longer you kinda notice the shed hairs more as they are longer, try not to worry its all part of mother natures plan. Everything shed and changes within our bodies, it's how we work! Your hair won't stop growing, it's just making room for brand new hairs to come through

jojo
August 7th, 2012, 07:24 PM
If, for some reason, you shed so much that your hair loses *significant* thickness, then it's about time to go see a doctor, IMO.

Totally agree, I've never shed such an amount that my hair has thinned out, certain medication prednisolone is one in particular I see quite a few patients of mine lose considerable hair with and the obvious one chemotherapy drugs. But if you are not on any medications yeah agreed you need some blood work done to check for things like thyroid disorders, anaemia etc

SoulOfTheSea
August 9th, 2012, 11:13 PM
Well I'm due for a check-up sometime soon, so I'll most definitely be mentioning that to the doctor, even my mom agreed that I really should.

But on a good note, I did a scalp massage with a mixture of coconut and castor oil, and then CWC'd, and rinsed with cold water, and my hair seems to have stopped shedding quite a bit this time.