PDA

View Full Version : need help in hair typing

doctorvkp1
August 5th, 2012, 10:43 PM
pls help me retype my hair........ i am confused.......

air dried Hair after hair wash........ no combing was done.....http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m494/doctorvkp1/20120806_062936.jpghttp://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m494/doctorvkp1/20120806_063011.jpg

hair after combing

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m494/doctorvkp1/20120806_073215.jpg what type of conditioner can i use for my hair....... i have not used any till now..... i only use shikakai.....

Dandelion6
August 5th, 2012, 10:51 PM
I put you at a 2b possibly 2b/2c:)

koala
August 5th, 2012, 11:10 PM
It looks a bit dry so depending on what you do with it, I think you could get some 2c out of it.

Tisiloves
August 5th, 2012, 11:18 PM
2b/c :) :blossom:

coneyisland
August 6th, 2012, 01:58 AM
Yours appears to be of the same type as mine, and yours has much more thickness.

Conditioners are usually used following washing with conventional shampoos. I suggest getting yourself some small bottles of different conditioners to try out so you can find a type that works well for your hair.

Along the (hair types) range toward and into curliness, many find that they get their most satisfactory results from using hair products that are more moisturizing and without silicone additives. A good general indication of a silicone ingredient is the "-cone" suffix. Those who use cone-free conditioners can also use sulfate-free shampoos, which are less drying to the hair. The cone-free conditioners are also the most popular type for conditioner-only (or "CO") washing. CO washing takes a great deal of rinsing, and it has made troublesome results (such as heavy/limp/oily hair, increased shedding, scalp irritation) for some.

My hair is partial to the conditioners having silicone additives because they make my hair more slippery and consequently less burdensome to detangle. I believe using "coney" products can also help reduce (or delay) splitting of the ends. Following use of any sulfate-containing shampoo, I apply Tresemme' Vitamin E Moisture Rich Conditioner and comb it through my hair. After rinsing that out, I work Pantene Ice Shine Conditioner through my hair and leave it on for several minutes before rinsing. I often add a "coney" leave-in protectant product, either Aussie Split-End Protector or Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship Split End Leave-In Protector, at my ends.

Some hair has little or no tolerance for products containing protein. Protein overload (from excessive application of protein) will make hair stiffer (or even crispy) and fragile. This particular problem necessitates more moisturizing of the hair. Here is a recent post with good guidance as to indications of protein components in hair products.

When looking for something protein free, keep an eye out for ingredients like amino acids, keratin, collagen, silk, soy protein... I am sure there are others that I can't think of at the moment.

There are also some conditioners specifically formulated as "cleansing conditioners," to be used alone (with water) for conditioning cleansing. WEN is a particularly expensive one. I understand it is heavily scented and has caused irritation for some. L'oreal EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner is sulfate-free and is formulated to be moisturizing. I have just recently seen advertising for another "cleansing conditioner" but I do not recall its name.

If you find that your hair likes "cones," you might like to make your hair care products shopping list from reference to posts made by illustrious member luxepiggy. :)

torrilin
August 6th, 2012, 05:49 AM
Looks like a solid 2b to me.

snowcloud
August 6th, 2012, 06:16 AM
i think yours a 2c.. Kinda like mind but a little wavier

SilverDoe
August 6th, 2012, 06:26 AM
Solid 2b at least, with some 2c sections. So a 2b/c. :)
With the right conditioning, you may well be a solid 2c with some 3a.

If you are not comfortable with conditioners, I would definitely use a few drops of oil on your length & ends when your hair is damp to lock in moisture.

MissCoco
August 6th, 2012, 07:40 AM
It looks like a perfect 2b/2c to me. I agree with SilverDoe that you may turn into a 2c over time if you condition your hair more (and I don't necessarily mean with conditioners, but anything you use to condition; I don't use conditioners personally)

silverthread
August 6th, 2012, 10:17 AM
It looks like a perfect 2b/2c to me. I agree with SilverDoe that you may turn into a 2c over time if you condition your hair more (and I don't necessarily mean with conditioners, but anything you use to condition; I don't use conditioners personally)

MissCoco: Your hair is beautiful. What do you use to condition it?

SwordWomanRiona
August 6th, 2012, 10:24 AM
2b, or 2b/2c?

You have such GORGEOUS hair, btw :thud:!! Soooo thick and full and healthy-looking!

Charybdis
August 6th, 2012, 01:19 PM
It looks 2b/2c in these photos, but I suspect there's full 2c wurls waiting to emerge with some extra moisture and a little gentle scrunching while wet. Wonderful length and thickness!

doctorvkp1
August 7th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Yours appears to be of the same type as mine, and yours has much more thickness.

Conditioners are usually used following washing with conventional shampoos. I suggest getting yourself some small bottles of different conditioners to try out so you can find a type that works well for your hair.

Along the (hair types) range toward and into curliness, many find that they get their most satisfactory results from using hair products that are more moisturizing and without silicone additives. A good general indication of a silicone ingredient is the "-cone" suffix. Those who use cone-free conditioners can also use sulfate-free shampoos, which are less drying to the hair. The cone-free conditioners are also the most popular type for conditioner-only (or "CO") washing. CO washing takes a great deal of rinsing, and it has made troublesome results (such as heavy/limp/oily hair, increased shedding, scalp irritation) for some.

My hair is partial to the conditioners having silicone additives because they make my hair more slippery and consequently less burdensome to detangle. I believe using "coney" products can also help reduce (or delay) splitting of the ends. Following use of any sulfate-containing shampoo, I apply Tresemme' Vitamin E Moisture Rich Conditioner and comb it through my hair. After rinsing that out, I work Pantene Ice Shine Conditioner through my hair and leave it on for several minutes before rinsing. I often add a "coney" leave-in protectant product, either Aussie Split-End Protector or Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship Split End Leave-In Protector, at my ends.

Some hair has little or no tolerance for products containing protein. Protein overload (from excessive application of protein) will make hair stiffer (or even crispy) and fragile. This particular problem necessitates more moisturizing of the hair. Here is a recent post with good guidance as to indications of protein components in hair products.

There are also some conditioners specifically formulated as "cleansing conditioners," to be used alone (with water) for conditioning cleansing. WEN is a particularly expensive one. I understand it is heavily scented and has caused irritation for some. L'oreal EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner is sulfate-free and is formulated to be moisturizing. I have just recently seen advertising for another "cleansing conditioner" but I do not recall its name.

If you find that your hair likes "cones," you might like to make your hair care products shopping list from reference to posts made by illustrious member luxepiggy. :)

could you please suggest a good cone free conditioner for my hair, which i would get in india........ would you please suggest a good routine for my hair to keep the splits at bay.....

lapushka
August 7th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Looks 2a/2b to me. :)

dwell_in_safety
August 7th, 2012, 11:19 AM
That's 2b to me, leaning 2c.

coneyisland
August 7th, 2012, 02:44 PM
could you please suggest a good cone free conditioner for my hair, which i would get in india........ would you please suggest a good routine for my hair to keep the splits at bay.....

I am not familiar with this one, but I believe the BIOTIQUE Bio Thyme Conditioner is cone-free. It is available in your area at from the Apollo drugstores.
Here is its ingredients list.

http://www.biotique.com/product_detail.php?pId=98&crId=

Here is its listing at Apollo drugstores.

http://www.apollopharmacy.in/personal-care/hair-care/conditioners/bio-thyme-fresh-sparkle-volume-conditioner-210ml.html

Wash your hair only as infrequently as you can comfortably bear. Always finger-comb and then comb conditioner through following every wash. This should leave your hair pretty well detangled following the rinsing away of the conditioner.

Use your fingers for careful detangling before using a comb.

After washing and conditioning, only wrap to blot (do not rub to dry) your hair in some absorbent material.

Look through your ends from time to time and cut off any split ones as you find them then. 

While your ends are still wet or fairly damp after conditioning, work a tiny bit of mineral oil through the ends to lightly coat them and make them a little more slippery to help protect them from wear by friction.

When you go out in sunshine -- especially during Dry Season! -- drape soft smooth or slippery woven (without applied ornamention) dupatta over your hair, making sure your ends will be shaded. It is more protective (by its reflectivity) to use white or light colored material, such as fairly loosely woven rayon, for dupatta to protect your hair from sunshine's bleaching and heating effects.

doctorvkp1
August 8th, 2012, 02:15 AM
I am not familiar with this one, but I believe the BIOTIQUE Bio Thyme Conditioner is cone-free. It is available in your area at from the Apollo drugstores.
Here is its ingredients list.

http://www.biotique.com/product_detail.php?pId=98&crId=

Here is its listing at Apollo drugstores.

http://www.apollopharmacy.in/personal-care/hair-care/conditioners/bio-thyme-fresh-sparkle-volume-conditioner-210ml.html

Wash your hair only as infrequently as you can comfortably bear. Always finger-comb and then comb conditioner through following every wash. This should leave your hair pretty well detangled following the rinsing away of the conditioner.

Use your fingers for careful detangling before using a comb.

After washing and conditioning, only wrap to blot (do not rub to dry) your hair in some absorbent material.

Look through your ends from time to time and cut off any split ones as you find them then. 

While your ends are still wet or fairly damp after conditioning, work a tiny bit of mineral oil through the ends to lightly coat them and make them a little more slippery to help protect them from wear by friction.

When you go out in sunshine -- especially during Dry Season! -- drape soft smooth or slippery woven (without applied ornamention) dupatta over your hair, making sure your ends will be shaded. It is more protective (by its reflectivity) to use white or light colored material, such as fairly loosely woven rayon, for dupatta to protect your hair from sunshine's bleaching and heating effects.
wow..... thank you..... is this the routine that you folow..... as you said that your hair is similar to that of mine....... i am very curious to know about yours..... how do you keep your splits away...... could you pls share us your routine....... its a request..... pls....

coneyisland
August 8th, 2012, 07:02 PM
wow..... thank you..... is this the routine that you folow..... as you said that your hair is similar to that of mine....... i am very curious to know about yours..... how do you keep your splits away...... could you pls share us your routine....... its a request..... pls....

I wash my hair (with sulfate containing shampoo diluted in water to about a 1: 6 dilution ratio) as infrequently as I can comfortably bear. I do what is called the "upside-down" (or "forward") washing style.

As I generally described in my first post (post #5) on this thread, I follow washes with conditioners (the first being combed through) in increasing order of "coneyness" (or silicone ingredients content). I often also use an additional "coney" leave-on protectant product on my still-damp ends.

Also, about every three months I follow a clarifying shampoo with a few hours of "baggying" in a moisturizing deep conditioner treatment (these deep moisturizing treatments contain some "cones" also).

What I suggested for you there in my second post (post # 16 ) on this thread were some recommendations modified for your contemplated cone-free routine. Whether you use "coney" or cone-free products in your hair care routine, a very light coating of oil applied over your still-damp hair will help seal in its moisture and give it more resistance to friction from all the inevitable rubs.

I detangle by finger use before using a seamless wide tooth comb.

During my (up and about) waking time, other than hair washing and drying time, I keep my hair up in some bunned "updo" arrangement to avoid unnecessary wear on it by friction against other hair, clothing, and furniture, besides to keep it from all the potential pulling hazards around. For sleeping times I have my hair in a single unfastened braid or in a hairstick "topknot" type bun (bun positioned overhead) either with or without hairsticks. Around the house I usually have it fastened up with a pair of hairsticks. I have found that most any of the rear side hairstick bun styles can be assembled first with hairsticks, then secured with hairpins (not bobby pins), and then when the hairsticks are withdrawn, there is the same nice neat updo hairstyle that does not have the protruding hairsticks to impede any scarf or dupatta hair covering.

Even braiding the length is more protective (for its shielding the inner hairs and also preventing tangling) than wearing the hair down loose. If a long slim (narrow) smooth silk scarf is braided into the hair, the leftover fabric at the end of the braid can be used to help protect the hair at the end area to be fastened by wrapping around the braid end before it is fastened over with an elastic band (the scarf material instead of the elastic band being in immediate contact with the hair).

It is riskier for hair breakage if an elastic band is often used to fasten the hair at the same places -- for instance, at the same point to fasten the ending of a braid, or to anchor (ponytail style) the upper end of a braid. If the upper end of a braid is anchored ponytail style at varying places or only from time to time, then the very same hair will not always be getting that cinching stress.

Your hair is a good deal thicker than mine, so it would be a good deal heavier. If your hair is too heavy for comfort in most updo styles, you might wear it in a single braid brought forward over one shoulder and covered there by dupatta. Madora can give you suggestions for sectioned updos, such as the Crown Lace Braid style, that would distribute the weight of your hair for comfortable protected wearing up on your head.

When I am going out in daylight (unless I am too hurried, as when I am moving a potted plant to keep it from stormy conditions) I always cover my hair under one or two scarves tied on (usually of smooth weave silk, or a smooth weave silk one under another) or one soft rayon dupatta wrapped around and pinned. [The covering is to protect it from the damaging effects of sunshine and wind, but it has the added benefit that my hair is unnoticed by others, such as those who would insult and harass me for its graying or its length and those who seem to be on the lookout for hair donations to solicit.] I do not wear the ornamented or crisp textured type dupatta in contact with my hair.

The quoted post that follows here relates to how I manage to keep in place the slippery weave haircoverings.

Tying on snug at the nape any cotton or fairly loosely woven rayon scarf first, its front edge a little lower (or more forward) than the silk (or silky or other slick type weave) scarf is to be positioned over it, then folding its front edge back over the front edge of the (next added) upper (silk or silky) scarf, adds a complementary band of color or decoration in front, and it keeps the slicker weave scarf in place for much longer than it would stay in place otherwise.

Another solution I have found is wearing a headband of either of a couple of styles of Goody brand headbands, stretchy ones having no metal parts, specifically made to be resistant to slipping. Either side of the material of such a headband is as resistant to slipping as the other. Using one of these under a single silk scarf keeps my scarf in place for much longer than my scarf positioning would last without it.

MissCoco
August 10th, 2012, 04:46 PM
MissCoco: Your hair is beautiful. What do you use to condition it?

Hi silverthread, sorry for the slow reply, I was quite busy the past several days...first, thank you very much for your compliment! Instead of using conditioner, I find that heavy pre-wash oilings are enough to condition my hair. Keep in mind though that I usually keep my hair saturated for 1-4 days (practicing WO in between washes usually) with some coconut milk added on top of all that! Also, I wash with Indian herbs, which really help to cleanse the hair just enough to remove the excess oil, and yet leave enough oil to keep the hair moisturized. If I ever have any frizz/dryness, I put a bit of aloe vera gel or some coconut (or almond, camellia, etc). Hope this helps and thanks for asking! :flower:

/end hijack

jojo
August 10th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Your hair is just like my friends Liza's she Indian too, she was the one who put me onto coconut oil, though your hair may benefit from an overnight olive oil treatment, just soak your hair overnight and wash off in the morning . To get it off use conditioner only no water, just add conditioner, leave for a good 10 minutes and then rinse and repeat. For your question I'd call your hair at present a 2b but it looks a little dry, with the above treatment I think you could easily get to. 2C/3A.

Lostsoule77
August 10th, 2012, 05:14 PM
I too think that you look like a 2b who needs some moisture. If you get that you could easily be a 2c or more. I use coconut oil overnight before a wash to moisturize plus I use a little conditioner as a leave in. Has really brought my waves out. :)

doctorvkp1
August 12th, 2012, 12:22 AM
I wash my hair (with sulfate containing shampoo diluted in water to about a 1: 6 dilution ratio) as infrequently as I can comfortably bear. I do what is called the "upside-down" (or "forward") washing style.

As I generally described in my first post (post #5) on this thread, I follow washes with conditioners (the first being combed through) in increasing order of "coneyness" (or silicone ingredients content). I often also use an additional "coney" leave-on protectant product on my still-damp ends.

Also, about every three months I follow a clarifying shampoo with a few hours of "baggying" in a moisturizing deep conditioner treatment (these deep moisturizing treatments contain some "cones" also).

What I suggested for you there in my second post (post # 16 ) on this thread were some recommendations modified for your contemplated cone-free routine. Whether you use "coney" or cone-free products in your hair care routine, a very light coating of oil applied over your still-damp hair will help seal in its moisture and give it more resistance to friction from all the inevitable rubs.

I detangle by finger use before using a seamless wide tooth comb.

During my (up and about) waking time, other than hair washing and drying time, I keep my hair up in some bunned "updo" arrangement to avoid unnecessary wear on it by friction against other hair, clothing, and furniture, besides to keep it from all the potential pulling hazards around. For sleeping times I have my hair in a single unfastened braid or in a hairstick "topknot" type bun (bun positioned overhead) either with or without hairsticks. Around the house I usually have it fastened up with a pair of hairsticks. I have found that most any of the rear side hairstick bun styles can be assembled first with hairsticks, then secured with hairpins (not bobby pins), and then when the hairsticks are withdrawn, there is the same nice neat updo hairstyle that does not have the protruding hairsticks to impede any scarf or dupatta hair covering.

Even braiding the length is more protective (for its shielding the inner hairs and also preventing tangling) than wearing the hair down loose. If a long slim (narrow) smooth silk scarf is braided into the hair, the leftover fabric at the end of the braid can be used to help protect the hair at the end area to be fastened by wrapping around the braid end before it is fastened over with an elastic band (the scarf material instead of the elastic band being in immediate contact with the hair).

It is riskier for hair breakage if an elastic band is often used to fasten the hair at the same places -- for instance, at the same point to fasten the ending of a braid, or to anchor (ponytail style) the upper end of a braid. If the upper end of a braid is anchored ponytail style at varying places or only from time to time, then the very same hair will not always be getting that cinching stress.

Your hair is a good deal thicker than mine, so it would be a good deal heavier. If your hair is too heavy for comfort in most updo styles, you might wear it in a single braid brought forward over one shoulder and covered there by dupatta. Madora can give you suggestions for sectioned updos, such as the Crown Lace Braid style, that would distribute the weight of your hair for comfortable protected wearing up on your head.

When I am going out in daylight (unless I am too hurried, as when I am moving a potted plant to keep it from stormy conditions) I always cover my hair under one or two scarves tied on (usually of smooth weave silk, or a smooth weave silk one under another) or one soft rayon dupatta wrapped around and pinned. [The covering is to protect it from the damaging effects of sunshine and wind, but it has the added benefit that my hair is unnoticed by others, such as those who would insult and harass me for its graying or its length and those who seem to be on the lookout for hair donations to solicit.] I do not wear the ornamented or crisp textured type dupatta in contact with my hair.

The quoted post that follows here relates to how I manage to keep in place the slippery weave haircoverings.

thanks a lot coney island...... i have ordered for TRESsemme Naturals With Sweet Orange Radiant volume conditioner....... would it be a better choice??????? i saw dratings in the reviews of tlhc...... wt is your opinion personally......

coneyisland
August 12th, 2012, 04:29 AM
thanks a lot coney island...... i have ordered for TRESsemme Naturals With Sweet Orange Radiant volume conditioner....... would it be a better choice??????? i saw dratings in the reviews of tlhc...... wt is your opinion personally......

I think that one is an excellent choice for your trying cone-free conditioner.

It has been many years since I have used any cone-free conditioners. I recall that, of all the cone-free conditioners I have used, VO5 conditioner gave me the worst results.

Do let us know how the TRESsemme conditioner works for you -- if it makes your detangling easier and makes your hair feel better. :)

doctorvkp1
August 12th, 2012, 10:37 PM
I think that one is an excellent choice for your trying cone-free conditioner.

It has been many years since I have used any cone-free conditioners. I recall that, of all the cone-free conditioners I have used, VO5 conditioner gave me the worst results.

Do let us know how the TRESsemme conditioner works for you -- if it makes your detangling easier and makes your hair feel better. :)

yeah..... i'll update for sure....