PDA

View Full Version : Hair Stylists/ Cutting Experts, opinions, pleas

FrannyG
August 5th, 2012, 06:35 PM
I'm getting tired of looking at the same thing in the mirror every day. For the past two months or so, I have been considering getting this haircut (http://www.instyle.com/instyle/package/general/photos/0,,20276967_20275501_20614052,00.html). Obviously, it would look different on me, because I have full bangs.

I have a few questions.

1. Is it possible to cut this style by myself? I haven't been to a salon for 10 years, and for about 5 years before that. I no longer know where my favourite hair stylists work, and I don't have any friends who have styles that I like from whom I could get a recommendation.

If I could cut it myself, how would I do it? Do I need layers? My hair is very fine, but I have a lot of it. My biggest concern would be the back curling outward instead of inward, and I would not be styling every day. I am pretty good with the scissors, by the way.

2. If I do need to go to a salon, I don't have a photo that I could take. My printer isn't working at the moment. How do I describe exactly what I want?

3. Would this cut work if it were an inch or two longer?

I would probably just get the cut and then grow it out right away. I know by now just how quickly my hair grows, and I am not asking to be talked out of it. I am still not certain that I will go for it. I'm just considering it at this point.

ETA: I do know how to spell the word "please", but I can't change the thread title. Just a typo. :)

akilina
August 5th, 2012, 06:48 PM
I'm getting tired of looking at the same thing in the mirror every day. For the past two months or so, I have been considering getting this haircut (http://www.instyle.com/instyle/package/general/photos/0,,20276967_20275501_20614052,00.html). Obviously, it would look different on me, because I have full bangs.

I have a few questions.

1. Is it possible to cut this style by myself? I haven't been to a salon for 10 years, and for about 5 years before that. I no longer know where my favourite hair stylists work, and I don't have any friends who have styles that I like from whom I could get a recommendation.

If I could cut it myself, how would I do it? Do I need layers? My hair is very fine, but I have a lot of it. My biggest concern would be the back curling outward instead of inward, and I would not be styling every day. I am pretty good with the scissors, by the way.

2. If I do need to go to a salon, I don't have a photo that I could take. My printer isn't working at the moment. How do I describe exactly what I want?

3. Would this cut work if it were an inch or two longer?

I would probably just get the cut and then grow it out right away. I know by now just how quickly my hair grows, and I am not asking to be talked out of it. I am still not certain that I will go for it. I'm just considering it at this point.
I imagine it is incredibly scary going to a salon again, But I would never recommend to anyone to try to do this cut at home. It is basically a really long A line. A lines are very tricky, even for trained professionals sometimes.
For me, once I knew how to do them with a good technique, I do amazing ones, but they are easy to screw up.
This hair cut WILL flip out most likely if you do not have slight stacking in the back. Stacking is a form of layering, but its not like full blown crappy layers like I have :]
This cut might work out if it was a little longer, but the cut can not drape over the shoulders, it either has to barely rest on them, or be above them. Hers seems about as long as it could be, MAYBE just maybe an inch longer, but possibly not. It all depends on how long your neck is. Also, hers would appear longer if the hair in the back wasn't as short.

Key words would be "very slight stacking, NOT too high up" and also express exactly where you want it to hit in the back.
Otherwise, usually A lines end up pretty darn short in the back, unless you specify. The stylist should always ask though how short you want it in the back, or where you want the length in the back to hit.
The longer in the front, and the shorter in the back, the more intense of an angle.
Ask at salons, if they have a stylist that is really great at A lines and seek for an honest answer. Some stylists I have worked with has told clients they can't do it, or told me personally that they hate them and don't feel confident doing them.

Geez I wish I could cut it for you :) Youd love it :D And I know it wouldn't end up being too short.

FrannyG
August 5th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Thank you for your advice. I thought it might be something that shouldn't be attempted at home. My former regular stylist who I grew up with is now a world-class stylist, and I am long past being able to afford him.

I also thought that Gyneth's length was probably the longest possible, without flipping, stacked or not.

I wish you could cut my hair too! :D

ETA: does the front need to be layered as well?

Falcore
August 5th, 2012, 07:11 PM
I'm not a stylist but just wanted to say if you do decide to do this DEFINITELY take the pic you want with you as an example (so as you'll be confident you and your stylist are on the same page).

You can go to a library/internet cafe/printer shop and pay to have them print it out for you.

WaitingSoLong
August 5th, 2012, 07:22 PM
You don't need to print the picture. Take a screen shot with your cell phone cameral and show the pic to them on your camera. If you don't have a camera phone, perhaps you have a laptop you can take with you with the pic downloaded on it.
OR, I am sure one of the stylists there will have a phone with internet, just ask to look the pic up on their phone. It would be useful to write down the URL of the photo you shared with us.

It's a beautiful style I could never wear because I have a horrid cowlick in the back of my head I never knew was there until I got a pixie-ish style back in 1998. I cut my hair back to shoulder length in....probably it was 2004? And I could get around the cowlick but only with daily heat styling. It was when I decided I did not want to HAVE to heat style my hair to make it look right that I decided to go long.

My question is...have you ever had your hair that short before? Most styles like that take some work to get them to look right (flat-iron, curling iron, hairspray). I know very few people who have naturally free falling stick straight hair that does not go wonky in heat/humidity.

torrilin
August 5th, 2012, 07:25 PM
it needs at least a little stacking all around. but honestly stacking is a pretty basic thing that should always be done if you want the ends to turn under on straight hair. stylists who dunno how to stack straight hair basically oughta be shot because they're hopeless. (yes, i'm rather opinionated about this - i had an easier time finding stylists who could stack the ends well as a poor little straight haired girl in the 1980s than i do now that straight hair is all that's in fashion.)

it *should* be a cut that's easy to get on straight hair. while it's fancier than a basic blunt cut, it is nowhere near as complex as the various layered things that are more popular.

IME, it's a pretty nice cut on my 1c/f/ii hair. a very little bit of combing will give me a perfectly straight look, and Gwyneth's photo is not atypical of how it works out on me. It looks like she has some layering at the ends, and I tend to prefer perfectly sleek.

FrannyG
August 5th, 2012, 07:36 PM
I'm not a stylist but just wanted to say if you do decide to do this DEFINITELY take the pic you want with you as an example (so as you'll be confident you and your stylist are on the same page).

You can go to a library/internet cafe/printer shop and pay to have them print it out for you.

Yes, I see now that I'll need to get some form of photo to take with me.

You don't need to print the picture. Take a screen shot with your cell phone cameral and show the pic to them on your camera. If you don't have a camera phone, perhaps you have a laptop you can take with you with the pic downloaded on it.
OR, I am sure one of the stylists there will have a phone with internet, just ask to look the pic up on their phone. It would be useful to write down the URL of the photo you shared with us. Those are all good ideas. I can certainly work something out, if I decide to do this.

It's a beautiful style I could never wear because I have a horrid cowlick in the back of my head I never knew was there until I got a pixie-ish style back in 1998. I cut my hair back to shoulder length in....probably it was 2004? And I could get around the cowlick but only with daily heat styling. It was when I decided I did not want to HAVE to heat style my hair to make it look right that I decided to go long.

My question is...have you ever had your hair that short before? Most styles like that take some work to get them to look right (flat-iron, curling iron, hairspray). I know very few people who have naturally free falling stick straight hair that does not go wonky in heat/humidity.

Oh, I've had my hair much shorter than that many times since childhood. More recently, I had a pixie cut in 1998, grew it out, and then went with a lip length bob in 2002 or so.

My hair is pin straight, and I've never needed to use a flat iron. My biggest mistake in the past was using a curling iron, which could end up going either way, i.e. flipped up or flipped down. I can manage this style quite easily, I think.

it needs at least a little stacking all around. but honestly stacking is a pretty basic thing that should always be done if you want the ends to turn under on straight hair. stylists who dunno how to stack straight hair basically oughta be shot because they're hopeless. (yes, i'm rather opinionated about this - i had an easier time finding stylists who could stack the ends well as a poor little straight haired girl in the 1980s than i do now that straight hair is all that's in fashion.)

it *should* be a cut that's easy to get on straight hair. while it's fancier than a basic blunt cut, it is nowhere near as complex as the various layered things that are more popular.

IME, it's a pretty nice cut on my 1c/f/ii hair. a very little bit of combing will give me a perfectly straight look, and Gwyneth's photo is not atypical of how it works out on me. It looks like she has some layering at the ends, and I tend to prefer perfectly sleek.

I think it will work well on my 1a/f/ii hair. I've had similar cuts in the past, just not A-line.

jojo
August 5th, 2012, 07:47 PM
I am not a stylist but totally understand your need to change, I'm kinda going through the same and thinking maybe a shorter style may be in order. I am holding on until Christmas and if I still feel the same I am thinking of cutting no shorter than apl as I liked how my hair looked back then but it's taken me 7 years together to hip and well I suppose for me, it's just not the knee trembler I thought it would be lol!
I suppose what I am trying to say is don't rush into anything, heck you know that anyway but whatever you decide you have my full support as always, btw it is a really nice style and Ido think you could pull it off well, just be sure, your sure yeah!

FrannyG
August 5th, 2012, 08:00 PM
I am not a stylist but totally understand your need to change, I'm kinda going through the same and thinking maybe a shorter style may be in order. I am holding on until Christmas and if I still feel the same I am thinking of cutting no shorter than apl as I liked how my hair looked back then but it's taken me 7 years together to hip and well I suppose for me, it's just not the knee trembler I thought it would be lol!
I suppose what I am trying to say is don't rush into anything, heck you know that anyway but whatever you decide you have my full support as always, btw it is a really nice style and Ido think you could pull it off well, just be sure, your sure yeah!

Well, I've been thinking about this for two months and I still haven't done it, so I guess that means I'm not rushing into anything. If I end up doing it, I think I might wait until the weather cools some, which wouldn't be until September. By next summer, it would certainly be long enough in the back to put up again.

Jo, thank you for the advice, and even more thanks for the support. :)

akilina
August 5th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Thank you for your advice. I thought it might be something that shouldn't be attempted at home. My former regular stylist who I grew up with is now a world-class stylist, and I am long past being able to afford him.

I also thought that Gyneth's length was probably the longest possible, without flipping, stacked or not.

I wish you could cut my hair too! :D

ETA: does the front need to be layered as well?
No layering in the front. Of course though, I usually pull everrryyything to the back and make sure it all lines up. She worded it perfectly "a little stacking all around"
This doesn't really layer at all, it just creates that nice effect that she has in the photo and everything is smooth and flush. Layering in the front of this haircut would spell disaster in most cases, especiall with thin hair. I feel you need that bluntness in the front to give it some good solid weight. I think the cut would work great with your hair.
Basically in my experiences, anyone who has this haircut done right should curl under and look stacked perfectly, unless its crazy unruly hair that is really curly. For me it was a wash and wear style though, and looked great with doing nothing to it.
I hope you find the perfect stylist! :D
As already suggested try to find any way to get that picture to the stylist, no matter how you have to do it.

FrannyG
August 5th, 2012, 08:05 PM
No layering in the front. Of course though, I usually pull everrryyything to the back and make sure it all lines up. She worded it perfectly "a little stacking all around"
This doesn't really layer at all, it just creates that nice effect that she has in the photo and everything is smooth and flush. Layering in the front of this haircut would spell disaster in most cases, especiall with thin hair. I feel you need that bluntness in the front to give it some good solid weight. I think the cut would work great with your hair.
Basically in my experiences, anyone who has this haircut done right should curl under and look stacked perfectly, unless its crazy unruly hair that is really curly. For me it was a wash and wear style though, and looked great with doing nothing to it.
I hope you find the perfect stylist! :D
As already suggested try to find any way to get that picture to the stylist, no matter how you have to do it.

Great advice all around. Thank you. :)

UltraBella
August 5th, 2012, 11:37 PM
I think this is going to look great on you !

I know everyone else has already answered, but I'll just repeat - you CAN NOT give yourself this cut.
It's going to take you a bit of time to find the right stylist. Be watching for versions of this cut IRL and ask them who cuts their hair, it's a great way to learn who to go to :)

FrannyG
August 6th, 2012, 04:16 AM
I think this is going to look great on you !

I know everyone else has already answered, but I'll just repeat - you CAN NOT give yourself this cut.
It's going to take you a bit of time to find the right stylist. Be watching for versions of this cut IRL and ask them who cuts their hair, it's a great way to learn who to go to :)

Thank you for your reply. :flower: And thank you for reinforcing that I cannot do this myself. I will use the scissors only for my bangs and for trims until and unless I find a stylist who can cut this style well.

I'll be spending the next few weeks or even months trying to find a stylist as I continue to mull this decision over.

Thanks to everyone who responded. You've all helped me a lot! :blossom:

Tota
August 6th, 2012, 04:57 AM
I love this haircut! If I ever decide to cut my hair I want this haircut, too :) I think you definitely need to go to the salon, I'm sure you'll be able to find one good stylist... You don't have to print the pic, you can send it to your e-mail or upload it on usb or CD and take it with you - every decent salon has a least one computer now. When I was at a salon 2 years ago hairdressers were giving their customers the option to show them what they want by searching styles online. I thought it was a great idea, so simple yet effective.

I think this style needs to be above shoulders so that it doesn't touch shoulders and fold in the opposite direction. If your neck is longer than Gwyneth's then ofcourse it could be cut longer. But if not then the effect of the style won't be the same. Gosh I love this hairstyle :)

WaitingSoLong
August 6th, 2012, 05:07 AM
I just thought of something else, make sure they cut this style with your hair parted on the side you always part it on. A lot of stylists always part in the middle for cuts but for this style, it would look lopsided when done if they did that. Of course if you always part your hair in the middle, this is moot.

FrannyG
August 6th, 2012, 05:14 AM
I love this haircut! If I ever decide to cut my hair I want this haircut, too :) I think you definitely need to go to the salon, I'm sure you'll be able to find one good stylist... You don't have to print the pic, you can send it to your e-mail or upload it on usb or CD and take it with you - every decent salon has a least one computer now. When I was at a salon 2 years ago hairdressers were giving their customers the option to show them what they want by searching styles online. I thought it was a great idea, so simple yet effective.

I think this style needs to be above shoulders so that it doesn't touch shoulders and fold in the opposite direction. If your neck is longer than Gwyneth's then ofcourse it could be cut longer. But if not then the effect of the style won't be the same. Gosh I love this hairstyle :)

This haircut has been a favourite of mine since its early version in the mid to late 70s. Of course back then there was a lot of teasing and major blow-drying going on. I like the fact that for me it will be pretty much wash and wear for every day, and I can style it just a bit if I'm going out socially.

My neck is about the same as Gwyneth's in length. I'm good with that length in the back. I just don't want to go to napeland. I wouldn't like that at all. Been there, done that, don't want to return. :)

By the time I ever get down to actually getting this cut, I'll likely have a printer again, so it won't be an issue.

bunzfan
August 6th, 2012, 06:42 AM
FrannyG that is wonderful hair cut i love long bobs and if i had straight hair i would totally do it, its a real precision hair cut so a good stylist is the key as already stated . If you do it please post a picture.

FrannyG
August 6th, 2012, 08:12 AM
I just thought of something else, make sure they cut this style with your hair parted on the side you always part it on. A lot of stylists always part in the middle for cuts but for this style, it would look lopsided when done if they did that. Of course if you always part your hair in the middle, this is moot.

I do wear my hair parted in the middle, because I have to fight it for a side part. It just naturally falls in the middle. Good point, though.

FrannyG that is wonderful hair cut i love long bobs and if i had straight hair i would totally do it, its a real precision hair cut so a good stylist is the key as already stated . If you do it please post a picture.

Yes, it is a precision cut, and finding the stylist is going to be the challenge. There might be a stylist right under my nose, but I'm out of the loop. I know few straighties in real life, and the ones I do have very short hair, so getting recommendation will be a challenge. Of course there will be photos if I do it!!! :)

spirals
August 6th, 2012, 12:25 PM
That's a beautiful cut and you have the perfect hair for it. I had it once, but got sick of straightening it, so I grew it out. I can cut my own hair, too, but wouldn't attempt anything at shoulder-length because I need to be able to pull it away from my head to cut it. Also, I can do layers all day on myself, but not blunt. So yeah--ask everyone you see with great hair who they go to. I can't wait to see it on you. Then you could blog about how much fun short hair can be.

FrannyG
August 6th, 2012, 01:27 PM
That's a beautiful cut and you have the perfect hair for it. I had it once, but got sick of straightening it, so I grew it out. I can cut my own hair, too, but wouldn't attempt anything at shoulder-length because I need to be able to pull it away from my head to cut it. Also, I can do layers all day on myself, but not blunt. So yeah--ask everyone you see with great hair who they go to. I can't wait to see it on you. Then you could blog about how much fun short hair can be.

I would get sick of straightening it too, if I had to. I can do a blunt shoulder length cut; I did it in June of 2009 to get rid of the last of the damage after going back to blonde. It's the angles and the shingling of this particular cut that has me convinced not to do this on my own, if I do it at all.

I don't know about the blogging (:D), as real life has gotten in the way my of that at all anymore, and besides, if I know me, and I do, it won't be short for long. :)