PDA

View Full Version : How can i make sure i'm absorbing my vitamin supplements? :)

lole18
August 5th, 2012, 01:00 PM
I have a vitamin D defeicency so i take one pill a day and another pill which is a multivitamin with biotin because i always get dfeceincies.. how can i make sure i'm absorbing both of them? I take the vitamin D pill with breakfast either with 3 egg whites or cheese and a small peice of bread (im on a diet) and take the other multivitamin with dinner (grilled beef or chicken) but i dont know if im absorbing them well? because ive been taking them for 2 months and didnt notice a difference:confused:

akilina
August 5th, 2012, 01:04 PM
I don't know what sort of a "difference" you are expecting.
Usually taking vitamins, for most, won't make your hair grow faster, only healthier.
If you are taking the vitamins, and eating food, and drinking plenty of water, you are most likely absorbing them. Your body also absorbs vitamins and minerals from the foods you eat.

lole18
August 5th, 2012, 01:20 PM
I don't know what sort of a "difference" you are expecting.
Usually taking vitamins, for most, won't make your hair grow faster, only healthier.
If you are taking the vitamins, and eating food, and drinking plenty of water, you are most likely absorbing them. Your body also absorbs vitamins and minerals from the foods you eat.

difference in my shedding and thinning :)

lapushka
August 5th, 2012, 01:26 PM
because ive been taking them for 2 months and didnt notice a difference:confused:

2 months equals about an inch of hair growth. Kind of hard to notice a difference right at your roots, meaning it's going to take a whole lot more time before you notice anything.

Patience is a virtue. Nothing happens overnight with hair.

lole18
August 5th, 2012, 01:31 PM
2 months equals about an inch of hair growth. Kind of hard to notice a difference right at your roots, meaning it's going to take a whole lot more time before you notice anything.

lol i hate waitinggg! thanx :cheese:

Stellaaa
August 5th, 2012, 01:41 PM
How about getting some sun? Then you KNOW you're getting vitamin D in a form ideal for your body to "absorb" (providing, of course, you don't have a condition/meds that make you photosensitive).

ouseljay
August 5th, 2012, 01:47 PM
The only way to be really sure is to get a blood test. If you're no longer (or less) deficient, you're probably absorbing the supplements. Maybe keep it up for 6 months or a year and see if your doctor would be willing to retest you.

Edit: And if the test shows you're no longer deficient but your hair is still thinning, you might want to look into other possible causes.

akilina
August 5th, 2012, 01:48 PM

Yes, It could take a good 6 months or more to even notice.
If you were to have new growth, it would need to get long enough to even be in the pony tail with the rest of your hair.
Some people just shed a lot no matter what. Perhaps try Monistat?

lole18
August 5th, 2012, 02:10 PM
How about getting some sun? Then you KNOW you're getting vitamin D in a form ideal for your body to "absorb" (providing, of course, you don't have a condition/meds that make you photosensitive).

I live in Saudi it's really HOT here lol so i can't stay outside for a long time.. Plus my doctor said i need to take the supplements then if i stopped them i could just go out during the day :D

lole18
August 5th, 2012, 02:11 PM
The only way to be really sure is to get a blood test. If you're no longer (or less) deficient, you're probably absorbing the supplements. Maybe keep it up for 6 months or a year and see if your doctor would be willing to retest you.

Edit: And if the test shows you're no longer deficient but your hair is still thinning, you might want to look into other possible causes.

I guess i have to do a blood test then :(

lole18
August 5th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Yes, It could take a good 6 months or more to even notice.
If you were to have new growth, it would need to get long enough to even be in the pony tail with the rest of your hair.
Some people just shed a lot no matter what. Perhaps try Monistat?

So i should wait for a couple of more months then get a blood test if i haven't noticed any difference with the growth and shedding?

misspriss
August 5th, 2012, 02:13 PM
I once got a blood test that showed me Vitamin D deficient, I was given a prescription strength D vitamin and they checked my blood again after 4 months. I would give it at lest that time, maybe more since you didn't mention taking a prescription strength vitamin.

akilina
August 5th, 2012, 02:22 PM
So i should wait for a couple of more months then get a blood test if i haven't noticed any difference with the growth and shedding?
No. If you think you have a health issue beyond what they already know, you should get a blood test ASAP.
I wouldn't waste 2 months time trying to self "medicate" in a way if there is something else wrong.Unless that is what they have already instructed you to do. I have read other posts in this thread and from your replies...I really can not understand what the doctor has said or already told you to do.
Having that much shedding and thinning does sound like there is a underlying problem.
If you have already visited the doctor, do what the doc recommends, not all of us on an online hair forum. Although we have good advice, if the doctor has told you what to do, I would do that instead.

~BoHemiAngel~
August 5th, 2012, 02:49 PM
I agree with the others that suggested getting your vitamin D levels tested by your doctor. Request that they test the "Vitamin D 25-OH" or hydroxylated form, which is the most biologically active/available form of vitamin D that can be tested in your blood.

Second, check which type of Vitamin D is in the supplement you are taking. Vitamin D2, or ergocalciferol, is not very absorbable. Vitamin D3 or cholecalciferol is a superior form (best taken with fats, as you are doing). When you get your blood tests back, ask your doctor how much you should be supplementing with on a daily basis. Some might recommend dosages as high as 8,000 IU-10,000 IU's per day, but that is for short term only to rebuild stores if in fact you are found to be deficient. High dosages of Vitamin D can be toxic to the liver if taken over a long period of time. Hope that helps...

Cendariel
August 5th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Some short advice:
As for vitamin D, it is fat soluble so you need fat in order to absorb it properly, as for "other" supplements, it depends on what it is you want to absorb, iron for example is absorbed more efficiently if taken along with vitamin c (since it needs to be in it's reduced form). A healthy diet is though the best way to start.
And the best advice have you already been told, follow the doctor's advice :)
good luck!

ddiana1979
August 5th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Even if you're taking supplements, you should still try to get 15 minutes of sunlight in the early morning so your body naturally synthesizes Vit D. Is it still crazy hot if you go out very early, like just after dawn? I also had very low Vit D levels, and was put on supplements. Now I also try to get out in the sun every morning. Sometimes I sit on a deck chair by the pool, sometimes I jog, but either way, I try to get a little sunlight without sunscreen every day. You'll need a little more than 15 minutes if you have dark skin (I'm pretty pale).

swearnsue
August 5th, 2012, 04:03 PM
When I tested low for Vitamin D my doctor told me to take 2,000 mg a day. Then some months later, I don't remember how long after, I tested OK but he told me to take 1,000 mg a day just as a maintenance amount.