PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Questions :)

Kayleigh
August 5th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Hi there!

Yeah, my very first thread!! :cheese:
I've learned so many things from all of you already, but I can still use some help with certain issues. I would really like to hear your thoughts about them. :flower:
So here it goes...

Frizz, it's really driving me insane lately. I've always been able to manage it quite well, but since a few months there's no controlling it. And the weird thing is (well, I find it weird) that it's even worse when I use conditioner, a hair mask or do a SMT or any deep treatment, while in the past those things worked wonders.
I do use oil, but that doesn't really help either. I end up using so much oil my hair just gets limp (which is fast, since I have quite straight and fine hair). I'm considering to stop using products on my length to see if the frizz reduces, just because I really can't think of anything else to do.

I've also got a question about ACV. I love what it does for my scalp and it makes my hair so soft. But it also makes the frizz worse and it makes my hair smell awful. I know the smell is supposed to go away when your hair dries, but it really keeps smelling like puke for over a day. I was wondering if it could be that I'm using too much and should dilute it more. I'm currently using a tablespoon with 250 ml water, should I make it a teaspoon or even less? And could the smell be that the vinegar has gone bad (is that even possible?), because I have only been using it a month but the bottle has been in my closet for nearly a year and the vinegar looks kinda rancid.
Oh and before I forget, just another insignificant question, but I'm just curious. Has anyone here experienced haircolor change while using ACV, I don't really know how to describe it but it kinda looks like my hair is more ashy.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I'm looking forward to reading your responses. :bluesmile

Kayleigh
August 5th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Whoops! Seems I've posted this thread in the completely wrong section! If it could be moved to the 'Mane Section' I would be really thankful and else could someone tell me how to remove it? Thanks!

Cowgirl16
August 7th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Hi Kayleigh :waving:

I'm not sure if I will be any help but, I have coarse hair and it tends to get a bit frizzy; so here it goes.
I use ACV with every shampoo (1-2x weekly); it has made my hair slightly redder. I don't know what to do about the smell; mine smells fine even before its dry :shrug: Maybe you should try less.
The oil, what kind are you using? I have found some oils tend to make my hair "greasy". Have you tried mineral oil? I like coconut oil too, although I have a tendency to go a little overboard with it :cool:

Maybe you need a light or no conditioner on your scalp and use the SMT on the ends?

Good Luck!

Madora
August 7th, 2012, 12:10 PM
It sounds to me like you need to clarify your hair. Neutrogena Anti-Residue Clarifying shampoo works well and has several recommendations in the "Reviews" section.

Once your hair has been clarified, you can condition it with the conditioner of your choice.

HOWEVER, don't over condition or add additional oils. It is best to take it easy and find a conditioner that works for your hair and keep things to a minimum.

As far as frizzies are concerned, mineral oil helps to tame them, plus it conditions your hair as well and leaves it soft, shiny and supple.

You only use 2 or 3 drops of MO on dampened hair. It is also a great detangler. The MO should contain only the oil plus a fragrance. Additives make it less effective.

More about MO here:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

I've just started using MO as a conditioner and I was amazed how well it worked. I don't use anything else as far as conditioning is concerned, although I brush my hair with a bbb every day (100 strokes).

swearnsue
August 7th, 2012, 12:21 PM
It sounds to me like you need to clarify your hair. Neutrogena Anti-Residue Clarifying shampoo works well and has several recommendations in the "Reviews" section.

Once your hair has been clarified, you can condition it with the conditioner of your choice.

HOWEVER, don't over condition or add additional oils. It is best to take it easy and find a conditioner that works for your hair and keep things to a minimum.

As far as frizzies are concerned, mineral oil helps to tame them, plus it conditions your hair as well and leaves it soft, shiny and supple.

You only use 2 or 3 drops of MO on dampened hair. It is also a great detangler. The MO should contain only the oil plus a fragrance. Additives make it less effective.

More about MO here:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

I've just started using MO as a conditioner and I was amazed how well it worked. I don't use anything else as far as conditioning is concerned, although I brush my hair with a bbb every day (100 strokes).

Madora, you've been using MO for a couple of months now I think. It's still working good, no build up? Has MO replaced your conditioner completely? To tame any frizzies, do you put the slightest bit of MO on top of your head? Sorry for all the questions but I've been wondering for quite a while.

swearnsue
August 7th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Kayleigh, I don't think using a vinegar rinse is absolutely essential. I've been using it for about a year now and just this week I started wondering why. I have a shower water filter so I don't need the vinegar to chelate hard water minerals. So I've stopped using the vinegar (1 Tbs per cup water) and can't tell any difference in my hair. I just spend an extra minute under the shower to make sure I've rinsed my scalp completely. So maybe you don't even need the vinegar rinse??

Ice Fox
August 7th, 2012, 12:27 PM
I sympathise - I also have to combat the frizzies. I've come the conclusion that in my case, less is definitely more when it comes to conditioner. Probably every now and then, rather than every wash. A gentle shampoo with no conditioner works best for the most part for me. You can only try the different options and see which works best for you.