PDA

View Full Version : I think i may be going bald, or receding hairline

omgkfclolz
August 4th, 2012, 09:39 PM
So i think may be going bald, it's something that i wanted to post about for a while now but have been to busy to go on here and ask

Long story short I live with my aunt/uncle and have never met my mom/dad or their parents so I don't know if my dad is going bald, or if my mom's dad is going bald (i think that's what counts); nor do i know anything about them so i'm left wondering what will happen to my hair.

The distance between my hairline to my eyes is a long ways and I hated having short hair all through school so now i'm out of school and have my hair a bit past my eyes in the front and well past my ears everywhere else. My brother has a receding hairline so i'm not sure if that has any effect on what my hair will turn out like

Anyways, i made a collage of my hair, two pics of how it is if i push it forward and two pics of it pushed back far enough to see the hairline

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=34t49co&s=6

(also if you can't see the picture here is the link to it
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=34t49co&s=6 )

Anyways, what do you all think? is there any pill i can take or any way i can stop this?

Kaelee
August 4th, 2012, 09:41 PM
It just looks like you have a naturally far back hairline. I wouldn't panic yet. :)

And your hair looks longer on the sides/back because of where it's positioned on your head, it doesn't mean you're going bald.

You have beautiful hair by the way!

omgkfclolz
August 4th, 2012, 09:46 PM
thank you :)
that made me smile, and yeah, i hope i don't. I love my hair too much

Wildcat Diva
August 4th, 2012, 10:08 PM
You have great hair. Really nice. A lot of men and women have that hairline type where it's farther back on both sides of the forehead. On men it can be really attractive, I was thinking about Sting's hairline, don't know if you will take that as a compliment or not but coming from me believe me, I mean it that way.

With that being said, if you are noticing changes in your hair thinning in those spot, of course it is possible that you may be losing some hair. I think genetics plays a big role in baldness, so I wouldn't kid myself about that. I am not sure what your options are, there may be medications like Rogaine that can help, but I don't know enough about that to suggest it specifically.

Folks on here are looking for lots of natural ways to stimulate hair growth, it's like the holy grail. I see that you joined here quite a while back, have you read up on ways to stimulate hair growth? Scalp massage, castor oil, monistat, etc. on here?

I wish you best of luck, and if your hairline changes a bit, you will still have great hair, and it won't change that you are an attractive person, inside and out, IMO.

ETA: I didn't read carefully enough about the part of you not knowing the baldness history of your family. So you don't know what genetics holds for you. I see.

jeanniet
August 5th, 2012, 02:16 AM
My husband has the same hairline. When he was younger, he always worried that it would thin out (his dad was pretty bald), but it never really did. Now he's almost 54 and he's thinning a bit on top, but his hairline is still about the same. Sometimes hairlines like that do thin, but not always. But if it does, it's not the end of the world (I know, easy for me to say). Bald men are just as attractive as men with hair! :)

omgkfclolz
August 5th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Well i think it makes sense now behind why i have a cowlick on one side of my head sometimes. My hair is receding so part of my hair that wants to cover my face will pull back to it's "natural" spot because it's receding back that way. But anyway, my friend told me his dermatologist gave him a pill that he said will stop balding for now but may start back later on.

Purdy Bear
August 5th, 2012, 11:19 AM
There are two types of alopecia (baldness) that can cause this thinning.

One is traction baldness where a person wears too tight a hair do and thus litterally pulls the hair out. This will usually grow back but not if the root has been ripped out.

The other is called Androgenitica - which is caused in both male and some females by too much male hormones in the body. This may be treated with hormones tablets etc.

If you are concerned about it being Alopecia then go see your Dr or a Dermatologist. They will give you some blood tests etc and give you some help with it.

It is vitally important you see them sooner then later, as with Alopecia you can get scaring which basically means the hair folicle has more then likely died off and will never regrow.

There has also been some good results from the use of Aromatheraphy oils and onion juice in male pattern baldness/Adrogenetica.

PS: I have Alopecia Univarlis which means I don't have any body hair - mine is about 90% hair loss all over the body.

Alva
August 5th, 2012, 01:59 PM
It is a bit hard to see on the pictures, maybe a picture from the side could show more. But as I see it, and I am being perfectly honest here and not intending to be nasty, but it is MPB, male pattern baldness. My ex had it and he started out the same way, very similar. It started for him when he was around 18 or 19 already and he is now 32 and hasn't much left. Of course this differs for everyone but the younger one is the more chance the process will get to total baldness stages. Men when they age always do have a somewhat receding hairline that is changing into an adult male hairline, but I do think your stages are more advanced and thus too far to be that. There is a scale, the Norwood scale, which shows you in what stage you would be in. You can google it. Maybe you could compare your hairline with that. And get some old pictures to see how much difference time made for you, to determine the rate of change.

ETA: there is treatment available for it, but you would need to go to a doctor. Outweigh the pros and cons though, because they are to be long time, permanently used and the health risks on longer term for taking that type of hormones might to be fully known yet.

jeanniet
August 5th, 2012, 02:37 PM
I'm a little confused as to whether your hair is actually receding now, or if you're worried it will recede because of the way your hairline is. If it's the former, then any thinning will likely continue; if the latter, then a hairline like that doesn't necessarily mean you'll go bald anytime soon (see my earlier post). If you're concerned, though, I would see a doctor that specializes in hair loss so you can get more information and find out about possible treatment options.

Mesmerise
August 5th, 2012, 06:12 PM
My husband has the same hairline. When he was younger, he always worried that it would thin out (his dad was pretty bald), but it never really did. Now he's almost 54 and he's thinning a bit on top, but his hairline is still about the same. Sometimes hairlines like that do thin, but not always. But if it does, it's not the end of the world (I know, easy for me to say). Bald men are just as attractive as men with hair! :)

Same for my husband. He told me he was going bald when he was 21, but his hairline hasn't changed and he's now 39. His brother, however, is obviously balding more on top (typical male pattern baldness) but my husband's still isn't thinning obviously on top.

On the other hand my dad was balding obviously in his early 20s (and started the comb over then... back in the 60s when men did that, and unfortunately hasn't let it go!!) so my boys are probably doomed.

Still, if you're worried about balding consider something like Rogaine. The biggest issue with it, as far as I can tell, is you need to keep using it indefinitely. Still, if I was definitely sure I was balding, I would do it! (As it is I have some thinning at the front as well... and I'm quite paranoid about it!! If it doesn't naturally resolve or gets worse, I will use the Rogaine for women... I'd rather not start it though, if I can help it).

BlueMuse
August 5th, 2012, 06:49 PM
It could be your hair line is predisposed to a prominent peak, it could be thinning. Either way it wouldn't hurt to talk to a doctor if you've got the funds/ability to do so. There's nothing wrong with a prominent peak and a high hair line. I think it tends to make men look very distinguished.

Helix
August 5th, 2012, 06:54 PM
If you really feel that this is male pattern balding try taking a supplement with saw palmetto. It's usually taken by men for prostate health, but it also works as a DHT blocker. DHT, (Dihydrotestosterone) buildup around the follicles plays a role in hair loss and balding.

It's worth a try. Even if it doesn't regrow your hair, you'll be reducing your chances of getting prostate cancer and that isn't so bad either.

omgkfclolz
August 9th, 2012, 09:04 PM
alright, so i haven't been on a few days and have some better pics of my hair from the side and it pulled forward...so here ya go

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2d7iljq&s=6

http://i49.tinypic.com/10ckx04.jpg

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2r3i43c&s=6

If you guys want some pics of my hair at a better angle then just let me know...

raingirl
August 9th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Personally, I don't see any receding or thinning. However the best way to see would be to see pictures of you when you were younger. But either way, I think you have great hair. :)

Oh, and the genetic balding thing is passed on through the female/mother line as far as I learned in school. To know if it was passed on to you, you need to look at your mom's brothers. If you mom's brothers are starting to have balding issues, then she could have had the gene to pass on to you. Balding genes are not passed on through the male though, so looking at your dad's side won't help. I'm not sure which side of the family your aunt/uncle you live with are on, but hopefully this helps.