PDA

View Full Version : How often and how much should i trim my hair?

lole18
August 4th, 2012, 03:06 PM
i straighten once a week or use gel once a week.. but i also oil and try to take care of it.. how often should i trim it to keep it healthy? because my hair is very thin 1.7 circumference on a very high ponytail but a low ponytail is 0.8 less than an inch so im guessing the ends are 0.5 lol! but its till my shoulder so its weird to be this thin.. how often should i trim it and how much should i take off to keep it looking thicker? (i hate layers):D

akilina
August 4th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Maybe 1/8 of an inch micro trim every month?
Or 1/4 of an inch every two months?
Whatever you feel is right. Most peoples hair grows about 6 inches in a year with the exception of a few. Make a little calculation of how much you are willing to lose out of that.
You may already know, just remember not to straighten your oiled hair...Think frying pan with oil in it.

lapushka
August 4th, 2012, 03:23 PM
i straighten once a week or use gel once a week.. but i also oil and try to take care of it.. how often should i trim it to keep it healthy? because my hair is very thin 1.7 circumference on a very high ponytail but a low ponytail is 0.8 less than an inch so im guessing the ends are 0.5 lol! but its till my shoulder so its weird to be this thin.. how often should i trim it and how much should i take off to keep it looking thicker? (i hate layers):D

It all depends on what you're comfortable with. I normally have my hair trimmed 1 to 4 times a year. I think that's not uncommon around here, but there's also people who more regularly trim, who dust & microtrim. If you are still using heat on your hair, and if your hair is this thin you might want to trim more regularly than normal.

Madora
August 4th, 2012, 05:05 PM

If your hair is thin, then straightening it is only going to damage the hair more. You're changing the structure of your hair when you straighten and this doesn't bode well for thin hair. You want to preserve what you have..not harm it.

The appearance of thicker hair can be achieved by a blunt (straight across) hemline.

pepperminttea
August 4th, 2012, 05:10 PM
As often as it needs it. :) When your ends have too many splits for you to remove individually, or are feeling rough, crunchy, and irreparably dry (and you've already tried clarifying in case it's build-up, and protein and moisture treatments to see if they'll help), then it's probably time for a trim.

torrilin
August 5th, 2012, 08:56 AM
As little as possible.

For me, that means once every 9-12 months. If you've always listened to your hair stylist and got trims every 6-8 weeks, try stretching to every 10 weeks, or every 12. A lot of the time quite small changes like cutting every 10 weeks instead of 6 will produce a pretty large improvement in hair growth.