PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got tips to thicken ponytail circumference naturally?

lole18
July 26th, 2012, 10:23 PM
to anyone who tried something to thicken their hair strand (each hair) what is it and how long did it take to see a result? was there a big or small difference? thanx:D

pepperminttea
July 26th, 2012, 10:33 PM
The big one is probably henna, but that's a definite commitment in terms of upkeep and how difficult it is to remove. There's a saying here, 'You don't flirt with henna, you marry it.'

Can I ask why you want to thicken your strands? :)

lole18
July 26th, 2012, 10:48 PM
The big one is probably henna, but that's a definite commitment in terms of upkeep and how difficult it is to remove. There's a saying here, 'You don't flirt with henna, you marry it.'

Can I ask why you want to thicken your strands? :)

my hair is shedding alot plus my strands are extremely thin i think it's prettier to be a little thicker.. i can't use henna :( but i heard that castor oil does the same affect? is that true?:D

catamonica
July 26th, 2012, 10:49 PM
I have medium thick hair. But I use olive oil mixed with water in a spray bottle. before I shampoo wait four minutes, then shampoo. I put two capfuls in my shampoo & conditioner. I read online that dehydrated minced onion or dehydrated chopped onion thickens the hair. I tried minced onion, & now I'm using chopped onion. I put a capful in my shampoo. My hair felt thicker. I hope this helps your hair.

earthnut
July 26th, 2012, 11:00 PM
Any leave-in will physically attach to the hair shaft and thicken it. However, fine hair is also easily weighed down (see here for a good explanation why (http://scienceyhairblog.blogspot.com/2012/03/how-fine-hair-is-different.html)) and so there's more to creating volume than just thickening strands.

One way is to strengthen the strands, so they can hold more weight of conditioners, stylers, and length. Proteins are a great strengthener for the hair. Deep condition with a high protein conditioner like Nature's Gate or any other conditioner with "hydrolyzed" relatively high in the ingredients. Here's also a homemade gelatin treatment (http://scienceyhairblog.blogspot.com/p/recipes-and-projects.html) that might work for you.

McFearless
July 26th, 2012, 11:48 PM
Do you have breakage or are your individual hairs just thin and has it always been this way? I would focus on diet if needed and get a blood test done to make sure everything is okay health wise. This only applies if your hair has changed but if it is genetic there isn't much you can do. Henna can make existing strands slightly thicker and castor oil applied to the scalp can encourage thicker future growth. There is a whole thread dedicated to castor oil in the henna & herbal haircare sub forum.

owlathena
July 26th, 2012, 11:52 PM
Hibiscus powder makes my hair a lot thicker. I mix it into conditioner and leave it on for an hour or two. And it gives great volume!

kitekats
July 26th, 2012, 11:55 PM
I have the same problem, but both- coconut oil and almond oil didn't fix it, and I heard, that henna dries hair a bit, and more dryness on my super dyed crunchy hair wouldn't be nice :(

Tota
July 27th, 2012, 01:08 AM
I think cassia worked the best for me. But I gave it up because I was too lazy to keep it up.

aspartame gram
July 27th, 2012, 01:45 AM
Conditioners with proteins helped me with thickness. Also, oiling about every week and a half or two weeks. It really has saved my hair and helped it recover from excessive dying. I kept switching from blonde to red, but I've managed to grow out quite a bit of my natural color. It pretty much all blends together now.

Amber_Maiden
July 27th, 2012, 09:16 AM
henna can thicken strands a bit.

OrganicJewel
July 27th, 2012, 10:33 AM
I haven't tried this, so I can't tell you about my personal experience, but I've read all of this board that castor oil thickens hair.

lole18
July 27th, 2012, 12:06 PM
I have medium thick hair. But I use olive oil mixed with water in a spray bottle. before I shampoo wait four minutes, then shampoo. I put two capfuls in my shampoo & conditioner. I read online that dehydrated minced onion or dehydrated chopped onion thickens the hair. I tried minced onion, & now I'm using chopped onion. I put a capful in my shampoo. My hair felt thicker. I hope this helps your hair.

My hair is thin but for some reason olive oil did nothing to my hair it didn't make it thicker or anything! the onion part does work lots of people in my country do it but it STINKS i can't stand it lol :) thanx :D

Any leave-in will physically attach to the hair shaft and thicken it. However, fine hair is also easily weighed down (see here for a good explanation why (http://scienceyhairblog.blogspot.com/2012/03/how-fine-hair-is-different.html)) and so there's more to creating volume than just thickening strands.

One way is to strengthen the strands, so they can hold more weight of conditioners, stylers, and length. Proteins are a great strengthener for the hair. Deep condition with a high protein conditioner like Nature's Gate or any other conditioner with "hydrolyzed" relatively high in the ingredients. Here's also a homemade gelatin treatment (http://scienceyhairblog.blogspot.com/p/recipes-and-projects.html) that might work for you.

I want something to make it THICK not just appear thicker with more volume! And yes ive tried some stuff but it weighs it down:( i heard that yogurt has protien? how long should i leave it on and how oftn should i do it? :)

Do you have breakage or are your individual hairs just thin and has it always been this way? I would focus on diet if needed and get a blood test done to make sure everything is okay health wise. This only applies if your hair has changed but if it is genetic there isn't much you can do. Henna can make existing strands slightly thicker and castor oil applied to the scalp can encourage thicker future growth. There is a whole thread dedicated to castor oil in the henna & herbal haircare sub forum.

Yes it breaks a little and it is thin always and been always thin im taking supplements it isnt genetic because when i was younger it was a little thicker and i dont dye it so i dont know what changed! i'll see the castor oil thread thanx :)

Hibiscus powder makes my hair a lot thicker. I mix it into conditioner and leave it on for an hour or two. And it gives great volume!

Thanx :D ill try it

I have the same problem, but both- coconut oil and almond oil didn't fix it, and I heard, that henna dries hair a bit, and more dryness on my super dyed crunchy hair wouldn't be nice :(

Same with me! i will see what others suggest :(

I think cassia worked the best for me. But I gave it up because I was too lazy to keep it up.

what is cassia?

Conditioners with proteins helped me with thickness. Also, oiling about every week and a half or two weeks. It really has saved my hair and helped it recover from excessive dying. I kept switching from blonde to red, but I've managed to grow out quite a bit of my natural color. It pretty much all blends together now.

is yogurt a good protein? how often should i do it how long should i leave it?

henna can thicken strands a bit.

Thanx:D

I haven't tried this, so I can't tell you about my personal experience, but I've read all of this board that castor oil thickens hair.

ill see the castor oil thread thanx :)

Tota
July 27th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Cassia Obovata is often referred to as “neutral henna.” It is not henna and it does not alter the color of hair greatly, though it may give more golden tones with repeated applications. It has similar conditioning benefits as henna, but they are not permanent, and they disappear without reapplication.

I copied this from this great Nightshade's article. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=7)

jeanniet
July 27th, 2012, 02:20 PM
If I'm understanding you right, you want to make the individual strands thicker--like from fine to medium? Actually make them thicker, not just appear to be thicker? That's not possible. The strands on your head are as thick as they're ever going to be. Henna makes your hair strands thicker because it bonds with the hair, but really even that isn't making the actual hairs thicker (I mean it's the henna, not the hair--any new hair strands growing in aren't going to be thicker). But if your hair has changed texture and is shedding a lot, you may have a medical condition that would explain the changes. I would visit your doctor and request that blood tests be done.

catamonica
July 27th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Once you rinse the shampoo & onion, and add conditioner, you shouldn't smell the onion at all. I smell no onion after I rinse the conditioner. Olive oil just softens the
hair. How long have people in your country been using onion in their hair? What country are you from?

Helix
July 27th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Seconding what jeanniet said. The thickness of your individual strands is already predetermined by your genes. You can apply things that coat the surface of the strand to make it appear thicker, (Henna/cassia treatments for example), but you can't change the size/shape of the pores in your head.

lole18
July 27th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Cassia Obovata is often referred to as “neutral henna.” It is not henna and it does not alter the color of hair greatly, though it may give more golden tones with repeated applications. It has similar conditioning benefits as henna, but they are not permanent, and they disappear without reapplication.

I copied this from this great Nightshade's article. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=7)

ok thanx if i ever find it here i'll try it :)

Once you rinse the shampoo & onion, and add conditioner, you shouldn't smell the onion at all. I smell no onion after I rinse the conditioner. Olive oil just softens the
hair. How long have people in your country been using onion in their hair? What country are you from?

but i'll stink the house and my family will kill me lol :) a very long time ago :) i'm from Saudi :)

Seconding what jeanniet said. The thickness of your individual strands is already predetermined by your genes. You can apply things that coat the surface of the strand to make it appear thicker, (Henna/cassia treatments for example), but you can't change the size/shape of the pores in your head.

I know that but my hair was medium to fine when i was a kid now it's extremely thin way thinner than before! by something that doesnt just make it appear thicker i mean i dont want volumising shampoos or conditioners because after the second wash it will get back to the way it was which is very fine hair :)

If I'm understanding you right, you want to make the individual strands thicker--like from fine to medium? Actually make them thicker, not just appear to be thicker? That's not possible. The strands on your head are as thick as they're ever going to be. Henna makes your hair strands thicker because it bonds with the hair, but really even that isn't making the actual hairs thicker (I mean it's the henna, not the hair--any new hair strands growing in aren't going to be thicker). But if your hair has changed texture and is shedding a lot, you may have a medical condition that would explain the changes. I would visit your doctor and request that blood tests be done.

I know that but my hair was medium to fine when i was a kid now it's extremely thin way thinner than before! what i mean by something that doesn't just make it appear thicker i mean i dont want volumising shampoos or conditioners because after the second wash it will get back to the way it was which is very thin fine hair :)

nobeltonya
July 27th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Coconut oil. I only apply at night, heavily, and massaging into scalp and length. Wash out in the morning. :disco:

lole18
July 27th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Coconut oil. I only apply at night, heavily, and massaging into scalp and length. Wash out in the morning. :disco:

i'll try it thanx :D

jeanniet
July 27th, 2012, 04:55 PM
If your hair changed during or after adolescence, then that's probably just the way it is. Generally hair during childhood is finer than adult hair, but I suppose it could go the other way as well. The excess shedding could be due to a medical condition, though. If you want your strands to appear thicker, then something that coats the hair shaft (or bonds to it, like henna) is what you want. The problem is that products that are meant to make the hair look thicker can also weigh it down, which means it can make fine hair look flat. It might be better to figure out ways to style your hair that will give a little lift around your crown and make it look fuller.

lole18
July 27th, 2012, 07:09 PM
If your hair changed during or after adolescence, then that's probably just the way it is. Generally hair during childhood is finer than adult hair, but I suppose it could go the other way as well. The excess shedding could be due to a medical condition, though. If you want your strands to appear thicker, then something that coats the hair shaft (or bonds to it, like henna) is what you want. The problem is that products that are meant to make the hair look thicker can also weigh it down, which means it can make fine hair look flat. It might be better to figure out ways to style your hair that will give a little lift around your crown and make it look fuller.

ok thanx :):D

earthnut
July 28th, 2012, 08:19 PM
I know that but my hair was medium to fine when i was a kid now it's extremely thin way thinner than before!

Yeah that happens when you age. It's still a part of your genetics and a natural part of aging. You can't make the hairs start growing out of your head thicker, unless you have a medical reason for your hair's thinness that's unrelated to aging.

lamia83
July 31st, 2012, 05:47 PM
Wow these tips are great!!!!:D I'm writing them down, and I'll experiment till I find out what works :) I also have thin to medium hair. Rubbing minced garlic and castor oil onto my scalp for a year helped getting my hair back from 1.5 to a 2.5 circumference (not very good with the measurements). But unfortunately, my hair is very prone to external factors such as stress ..etc. I'll definitely try the onions and the gelatin. Genetically I've always had thin to medium hair..my entire family has thick hair! But never say never..I'll try to optimize what God gave me :) The hibiscus tip sounds great as well!

lole18
August 1st, 2012, 03:01 PM
my ponytail thickness is only 1.7 and my hairs are very fine how can i make it thicker or coarser with out the use of henna? :(

HoneyBunBun
August 1st, 2012, 03:29 PM
my ponytail thickness is only 1.7 and my hairs are very fine how can i make it thicker or coarser with out the use of henna? :(

I'm guessing you don't want to use henna because it'll change your color? If that's the case you can use Cassia. It's sometimes called "colorless henna" or "clear henna", but actually they're two totally different plants. They're pretty much the same except that Cassia doesn't change your color (unless you have very light blonde or white hair, in which case it gives a slight golden tone).

I've also read that castor oil can thicken strands slightly.

lole18
August 1st, 2012, 03:38 PM
I'm guessing you don't want to use henna because it'll change your color? If that's the case you can use Cassia. It's sometimes called "colorless henna" or "clear henna", but actually they're two totally different plants. They're pretty much the same except that Cassia doesn't change your color (unless you have very light blonde or white hair, in which case it gives a slight golden tone).

I've also read that castor oil can thicken strands slightly.

how should i apply it? and my hair is a very dark brown but i would like it to get a golden tone! and how much will it thicken it? how many inches of thickness:)

lapushka
August 1st, 2012, 05:29 PM
how should i apply it? and my hair is a very dark brown but i would like it to get a golden tone! and how much will it thicken it? how many inches of thickness:)

It might "thicken" your hair some, but we're certainly not talking inches!

HoneyBunBun
August 2nd, 2012, 06:25 AM
It might "thicken" your hair some, but we're certainly not talking inches!

Yeah, definitely not inches. If you're looking for inches of thickness added, the only way to achieve that is with hair pieces like clip on or sewn in extensions. Also, if your hair is naturally medium brown or darker, Cassia won't change your color at all. It only adds a golden tone to very light colored hair.

Tisiloves
August 2nd, 2012, 06:31 AM
For your cassia questions, the cassia thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=406).

Madora
August 2nd, 2012, 07:01 AM
You can't change your hair structure. The only way to thicken your hair so that it appears thicker is to let it grow so all the hairs are given an opportunity to grow out.

The illusion of thicker hair can be achieved via a straight across blunt cut.

misspurdy06
August 2nd, 2012, 08:49 AM
Since I have been WO my hair is thicker and more coarse because the sebum is coating the shaft of my hair.

Trade off? It makes my hair heavier.

alwayssmiling
August 2nd, 2012, 10:30 AM
I know this probably not what you are asking, but since I've been using dry shampoo I have noticed it gives my hair a much thicker appearance (I like it!) Obviously this is only until the next wash.

lole18
August 4th, 2012, 02:14 PM
mine used to be 2 now its 1.6 after shedding.. can i get it up to 2 or more? how? :)

Madora
August 4th, 2012, 04:44 PM
By letting it grow longer so that the shorter hairs can lengthen and add to the bulk.

The thickness of your hair is due to how many follicles you have.

The way to healthier, longer hair is to treat it gently and avoid things that are not hair friendly...i.e. frequent washing, blow frying, bleaching, and ponytails.

lole18
August 4th, 2012, 04:52 PM
By letting it grow longer so that the shorter hairs can lengthen and add to the bulk.

The thickness of your hair is due to how many follicles you have.

The way to healthier, longer hair is to treat it gently and avoid things that are not hair friendly...i.e. frequent washing, blow frying, bleaching, and ponytails.

thanx but i never knew that ponytails are bad:( are braids bad too? not too tight but not loose either?

Madora
August 4th, 2012, 05:00 PM
thanx but i never knew that ponytails are bad:( are braids bad too? not too tight but not loose either?

You're welcome, lole18.

Yes, ponytails are not the best choice for your hair because:

1) if worn everyday, can lead to traction alopecia from drawing the hair back tightly

2) the hair where the ponytail band is held is subject to pressure. Over time, the hair will thin, break and in worst case scenarios, you'll end up with scalp showing

3) the dangling hair is an open invitation to tangle city. The hair is always bouncing around, plus rubbing on fabrics, chairbacks, or what have you.

The tangles need to be detangled often, and unless the detangling is done slowly and gently, you'll wind up with breakage.

Braiding is a much more hair friendly option, provided that you do not braid tightly. You also have a LOT of braids to choose from (dutch, english, french braids, lace braids, fishtail braids, cable braids, rope braids). The styling opportunities are endless when it comes to braids!

An occasional ponytail is all right..but your hair will fare better if you can avoid them as much as possible.

lole18
August 4th, 2012, 05:19 PM
You're welcome, lole18.

Yes, ponytails are not the best choice for your hair because:

1) if worn everyday, can lead to traction alopecia from drawing the hair back tightly

2) the hair where the ponytail band is held is subject to pressure. Over time, the hair will thin, break and in worst case scenarios, you'll end up with scalp showing

3) the dangling hair is an open invitation to tangle city. The hair is always bouncing around, plus rubbing on fabrics, chairbacks, or what have you.

The tangles need to be detangled often, and unless the detangling is done slowly and gently, you'll wind up with breakage.

Braiding is a much more hair friendly option, provided that you do not braid tightly. You also have a LOT of braids to choose from (dutch, english, french braids, lace braids, fishtail braids, cable braids, rope braids). The styling opportunities are endless when it comes to braids!

An occasional ponytail is all right..but your hair will fare better if you can avoid them as much as possible.

so the healthiest style for hair a loose braid?

Madora
August 4th, 2012, 06:02 PM
so the healthiest style for hair a loose braid?

A braid can help keep the hair tidy and tangle free. Some folks prefer to bun their hair. It all depends on how you want to style your hair, and your ability to do so.

Bottom line, tangles are the enemy of healthy hair and the less you need to detangle, the better for your hair.

MaryMarx
August 4th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Water only washing worked for me, even though I've never had fine strands, they're even coarser now.

lilliemer
August 4th, 2012, 07:34 PM
About the onion thing...I believe people are using the dehydrated minced onion not fresh onion? (Someone more experienced may be able to correct me if this is not accurate.) The dried onion will probably not smell as much as fresh onions would.

maborosi
August 4th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Henna.

I use cassia much more often, though, when I want those results without the color change. Cassia is more temporary though.

~maborosi~