PDA

View Full Version : Attack of the frizzies :(

Shypii90
August 6th, 2008, 09:12 AM
hey everyone

lately my hair's really soft and feels great..but then I look in the mirror and it looks awful. It's frizzing up everywhere and lately I'm on buses going to meet friends or going places, and by the time I get to my destination my hair's a dry frizzball. It sucks 'coz it looks like I don't take care of my hair and it really isn't the case.

The humidity in summer here doesn't help.. Last night my hair was an afro after over a month thinking that it was too long to become an afro ever again :(. And new short hairs are sticking out everywhere.

Is there anything I can do? Last night my manager even said I should get a haircut (not for work but for myself) but I refused... he said "it's too big now, it's ugly"... Obviously I ignore him because I don't like him, but the point is I don't want my hair to look like it badly needs a cut because it really doesn't! haha, no split ends or anything.

Goh. Maybe I'll resort back to hats or buffs for the summer.
What do you think?
Please help! :P

thanks a bunch.
Shawn

spidermom
August 6th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Everybody's hair is frizzy right now, unless they're using a lot of product on it. You could do the same if you like. After I style my hair (bun or braid), I rub gel (commercial styling gel or aloe vera gel) between wet palms, and then stroke my palms over the surface of my hair. It helps. Sometimes I do this 2-3 times before I'm satisfied. I will also use a little dab of pomade for really stubborn hairs. Since your hair is so curly, you would need to work the gel all the way through your hair and then twirl sections to encourage the curls to form. The trick then is to leave your hair alone. No fingers, no comb. And yes, your hair is going to feel a bit stiff and unnatural.

Or like you say, clap some sort of hat over the top.

Julesn
August 6th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Hey Shawn!!

Try using a more moisturizing conditioner than whatever you happen to be using now. The more moisture you have in your hair, the less it will attract from the humidity outside.

Hope that helps!

Julie :)

Shypii90
August 6th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Moisture's not a problem because I do weekly treatments and just started using silicone-free conditioners (working great so far)..

It's just how much my hair poofs out when it's exposed to a lot of wind (try get into your car with wet hair and leave the window wide open for the whole ride until you get somewhere... that will cause all those frizzes)... obviously our buses are so crap the windows are too hard to close!! and i've tried sitting closer to the aisle...for nothing.

Thanks a lot for your comments Spidermom and Julesn :). I'll try gel and see how it works. Later I'm going out so I'll be able to see results :P.

Cheers

Curlsgirl
August 6th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Even if you are doing DTs every week it really does help to put some leave-in conditioner in. I do that (lots of Biolage conditioning balm or Beauty Without Cruelty) and then put coconut oil in on top of it (both while it's damp and then maybe more oil when it's dry if I need it). That way I don't even need any gel and I get very little frizz. Other than that your hair is in that stick-up stage so if I buff or something is allowed to keep your boss happy then I would say it's a great idea. Also it would protect it!

yogachic
August 6th, 2008, 10:14 AM
I use Sunsilk Anti-Frizz creme and it keeps the frizzies away for the most part, or try hair gel, stuff that won't leave your hair with the "Wet-Look".

missy60
August 6th, 2008, 10:36 AM
After using the gel sort of scrunch your hair it will break the crunch it really helps alot with not having the helmet hair look. I second the leave in it really does help with the frizzies and it will help also to weigh your hair down so it doesnt expand. If you are still doing CO with Suave or VO5 it helps also to use a second heavier conditioner after rinsing out your CO conditioner. Another thing I thought of that helps me with gel use is to apply it to soaking wet hair, then towel dry. It really helps to tame the frizz before it starts. You need to not touch your hair at all while its drying this also encourages frizz.

spidermom
August 6th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Wind will overcome most of these suggestions, that's for sure. You might consider using the gel or other suggestions, then wearing a hat at least for the bus ride. That should tame the wilde beaste.

Bene
August 6th, 2008, 11:34 AM
hmmmm.... i was there myself once, humidity on curly hair is no joke, and it's even meaner on short curly hair... there's not much i could do at the time except for wear a bandanna or a hat, or blow it out straight until it was long enough to get under a ponytail.

this is gonna sound horrible, (this is the only way i survived the short hair period) but might have to do the commercial anti-frizz serums until your hair is long and heavy enough to stay down. a lot of them are loaded with cones. frizz-ease, fructis, whatever it is that's not quite gel, but syrupy to finger comb through wet hair.

missy60
August 6th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Wind oh no there is really nothing you can do about that you will just have to wear a hat while on the bus. You really cant let your hair blow around and have nice hair after you get off, it is just not going to happen unless you do wear a hat. Wind and curly hair are not friends, if your hair is frizz free before getting on the bus then I wouldnt worry about changing anything or trying gel, because gel is not going to help with wind. One thing that might help you is misting it after you get off the bus. I carry a little bottle with distilled water and a dab of conditioner in it and spray your hair and scrunch it a little. In this case applying the gel before hand would help some because the water would reactivate the gel. Ok I know your a guy and might not have a place to carry a spray bottle. You could go in the bathroom and wet your hands and apply the water that way sort of scrunching it in.

NurseMama
August 6th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Have you tried the anti-frizz spray recipie that someone here invented? It is aloe, a little oil (I use jojoba), and a bit of water. I would take some with you and spritz your hair after it has been beaten by the wind. Your curls will be sproingy!

Sofoulee
August 6th, 2008, 12:57 PM
I would suggest using some type of anti-frizz/smoothing cream to help tame those frizzies. As for the shorter hairs sticking out everywhere... that's just new growth! :)