PDA

View Full Version : Starting over

pinkprincess
August 4th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Hi, i used to post here a couple of years ago. I got my hair to brushing hip. It is now back to just above apl, i have been diagnosed with lupus and a whole lot more associated conditions, my hair has fallen out so much and broken off. It looks awful, i just want it back to waist long or even just to look better, it makes me so sad.

I really need any advice at all please :(

Edit: picture to left is very OLD

akilina
August 4th, 2012, 10:47 AM
I am sorry :( Is your hair this short from a haircut? Or has it become that short on its own from breaking off?
I wish I had good advice here. Can you try using Monistat at all? Many report of increased growth and less shedding. But I know that sometimes diseases or conditions can make it very very hard. An old client I had SWORE up and down by omega 3 fish oil. Every time I saw her she told me "you need to get some!" She would tell me how it seriously reformed her hair. It had mostly all fallen out and become very dry, but when I would cut her hair now, it had gotten so so thick that we would thin the crud out of it. She blames it all on the fish oil :]

heidi w.
August 4th, 2012, 10:48 AM
I would say to follow all of your doctor's instructions, and to also not worry so much about your hair. Missing from this post is specifically what type of Lupus you have, for example. I can find nothing regarding a correlation of any kind between Lupus and hair. Maybe you can be the one that writes about that later on?....

I wish you all the very best. I'm sorry to hear of your situation.

heidi w.

pinkprincess
August 4th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Thankyou, it is SLE, basically the most common systemic lupus. It seems to be common to ruin your hair. There isn't much the doctors do about it however i don't have any major organ damage right now
It broke off and fell out so much that i had to cut it but it near enough broke off to this length on its own. I will look into what you suggested :)

woolyleprechaun
August 4th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Im very sorry you are ill :(
What I know about lupus would barely fill a thimble, Im afraid. So please forgive me if my advice is crap...
Just follow doctors orders, relax and take good care of yourself, try fish oils and other good fats like avocados and nuts and most of all DONT WORRY! Im sure things will improve soon
:) xx

spookyghost
August 4th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Im so sorry about your condition. I dont have any good advice at all but the fish oil is worth a try. I take fish oil already and I just bought garlic supplements, the odorless kind. My hair is in bad shape and shedding way more than usual and I read that garlic supplements can stop shedding in its tracks. I figured what the heck-it cant hurt right? Even if it didnt work for shedding it has so many other health benefits that Im going to take it regardless. You can read up on garlic on the net. Good luck.

lilliemer
August 4th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Just check with your doctor before starting the fish oil supplements. Fish oil acts as a blood thinner and can interact with some commonly used medications so please let your treating physician know if you are planning to start taking it.

LaFlor
August 4th, 2012, 09:15 PM
I remember there was a season of America's Next Top Model where one of the models had Lupus and she talked about how her hair would fall out :( That always stuck in my mind.

I have no advice, but I really hope you get to feeling better and that you are able to recuperate your hair! :flower:

palebluelantern
August 4th, 2012, 10:08 PM
I have a lot of advice regarding this as I cured myself of an autoimmune disease that left me bedridden. I'm still trying to figure out how to PM people, but I can tell you a lot of information that could help you.

beautifulending
August 5th, 2012, 08:48 PM
I am so sorry.:( It must be hard going through this.....I wish you all the best in the world.

pinkprincess
August 10th, 2012, 05:07 AM
Thank you for all your comments, i will look for some more info on the suggestions xx

AineMuirne
August 10th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Diet alone can go a long way! Eat only whole foods, get plenty of protein and high quality animal and plant fats (especially omega-3... flaxseed oil is good for this, as well!). Eat as much of your vegetable intake as you can raw.

PrettyFit
August 10th, 2012, 03:56 PM
OP I am so sorry that you are going through this. I have had several people close to me lose hair from chemo, and I have heard how traumatic the experience can be.

There are lots of supplements that people take in order to help hair growth and health, but I would like to offer a word of caution. My mother has an autoimmune condition and some supplements cause her condition to get worse by boosting her immune system even more. I think you should do your research and decide on what you want to take (fish oil, MSM, biotin etc.) and then ask your doctor how that would affect you.

In the meantime, maybe you could focus on external remedies like moisture treatments. If you are experiencing breakage, it could be due to dryness. You could start COwashing your hair, doing SMT, and oiling. If you visit the curly threads, you could use the tips there.

Sending well wishes your way!
:flower:

I have a lot of advice regarding this as I cured myself of an autoimmune disease that left me bedridden. I'm still trying to figure out how to PM people, but I can tell you a lot of information that could help you.

I don't know how to PM people either, but once you figure it out, would you mind sending me some information as well? :)

AineMuirne
August 10th, 2012, 04:13 PM

You'll need 25 posts before you can PM, because to do it you need to be able to access their user profile.