PDA

View Full Version : POST anesthesia SHED

Ann Marie
August 4th, 2012, 08:28 AM
I went under general anesthesia in June and now I am shedding big time...started about 2 weeks ago...
:rolleyes:

Has anyone had this happen....should I bother with things like Folicure...Nioxin?

I am back on my biotin....but it seems my hair is determined to shed...

Does anything help post surgery shed? I read that the body shuts down while under anesthesia...and this caused the hair to go dormant...and then shed....

I need a remedy! :confused:

Pixie0763
August 4th, 2012, 08:43 AM
I have had post anesthesia shed before too. I've heard biotin helps?

I have day-surgery scheduled in September myself, and am expecting the same thing to happen to me. At least it's a temporary condtion.

arielįgua
August 4th, 2012, 08:49 AM
I had it!!

:(

It's the most awful, frustrating thing ever! But it will pass trust me. I had it shedding for 6 months, but it finished without me doing anything special. Just have patience, it's your own body trying to heal itself. :)

Just keep a good and healthy lifestyle, eat well, lots of vitamins, minerals and protein. Exercise and do all those things that everyone knows that are good for the body. ;P

Good Luck!
My hair is becoming very thick after the shed, so don't worry, you will be alright soon. Just try not to stress, it only causes more shed! I know it! :/

raingirl
August 4th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Darn, I have to go under in October for a minor surgery, didn't know this could cause shed! Good to know!

akilina
August 4th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Scary! This just made me REALLY never want a boob job. I am already pretty thin in the weight line :( Couldn't stand to lose more.

Ann Marie
August 4th, 2012, 01:42 PM
I have had post anesthesia shed before too. I've heard biotin helps?

I have day-surgery scheduled in September myself, and am expecting the same thing to happen to me. At least it's a temporary condtion.

I was taking biotin before...and had to forgo supplements because of the risk for bleeding....

I am taking biotin and a multi...My nails were thin after surgery...more than normal...but my nails and getting thicker again...I think this is the biotin..

I know for a fact it does help hair grow faster and thicker...but I am not sure as far as the stopping the big shed...we will see...

Ann Marie
August 4th, 2012, 01:44 PM
I had it!!

:(

It's the most awful, frustrating thing ever! But it will pass trust me. I had it shedding for 6 months, but it finished without me doing anything special. Just have patience, it's your own body trying to heal itself. :)

Just keep a good and healthy lifestyle, eat well, lots of vitamins, minerals and protein. Exercise and do all those things that everyone knows that are good for the body. ;P

Good Luck!
My hair is becoming very thick after the shed, so don't worry, you will be alright soon. Just try not to stress, it only causes more shed! I know it! :/

Thanks...that makes me feel better...:o
it was just day surgery...I was under for about and hour....and had a few complications where I had to go on progesterone for 5 days...My hair was not happy and ran for the hills!:run:

Ann Marie
August 4th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Darn, I have to go under in October for a minor surgery, didn't know this could cause shed! Good to know!

I was told to eat lots of protein and healthy foods to tell the body..."It's all good...we can grow the hair now!"

I was under general...if you have local with sedation...this will not be a factor I hear because the body is not "shut down" for the procedure....

Ann Marie
August 4th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Scary! This just made me REALLY never want a boob job. I am already pretty thin in the weight line :( Couldn't stand to lose more.

Be careful if you are thinking of this surgery...the implant is a foreign object and your body could react to it...

Plus they last "up to" 10 years...so that means a fresh surgery about every decade....and they can rupture...leaving more complications...
'a friend of mine had breast cancer...and at year 7 hers just deflated...and she had to shell out 10,000 on the spot...i think insurance covered a small part...but only because she had cancer...

If you have ever had surgery...you know it is not fun!

I had a reaction to the little strips over my incisions....and had to go on steroids...

So I cannot imagine silicone inside of me....Think long and hard about this decision...

akilina
August 4th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Be careful if you are thinking of this surgery...the implant is a foreign object and your body could react to it...

Plus they last "up to" 10 years...so that means a fresh surgery about every decade....and they can rupture...leaving more complications...
'a friend of mine had breast cancer...and at year 7 hers just deflated...and she had to shell out 10,000 on the spot...i think insurance covered a small part...but only because she had cancer...

I had a reaction to the little strips over my incisions....and had to go on steroids...

So I cannot imagine silicone inside of me....Think long and hard about this decision...
Yeah I really don't need the low down. I am sorry, I am not trying to be rude at all. Really. It is something I have thought about over the last 4 years long and hard.
I went to the surgeon 3 years ago just to see what they had to say. I moved out of state instead of getting a breast augmentation. My reason is ENTIRELY personal for wanting one, yet it is still just a wish in the back of my head. The idea of actually having surgery of any type is incredibly horrifying to me. Watching one preformed on video is also even more horrifying. Probably will never happen. And I am okay with that.
It is also a horrifying thought that hair would shed really badly >.< I hope you recover ASAP

Winnie!
August 4th, 2012, 03:36 PM
I went under local anesthesia almost a year ago. I do remember my hair shedding a lot more, but I don't remember it lasting very long. I didn't do anything different and I feel like it stopped within a month or two. Or I could have just been busy and not noticed. :o I know I didn't lose a significant amount of thickness though.

JellyBene
August 4th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Getting wisdom teeth pulled this month :bigeyes: even more scared now!

lapushka
August 4th, 2012, 04:35 PM
I went under general anesthesia once, and I didn't really notice I shed more. :shrug: Maybe it's due to something else?

MonaMayfair
August 5th, 2012, 07:06 AM
It doesn't happen to everyone, or every time. I've had to have quite a few general anaesthetics and only 2 of them have caused a massive shed.

SilverDoe
August 5th, 2012, 07:27 AM

Incorrect. With the "new" silicone implants they last at least 10 years, most likely much longer.
And if not ruptured, there is no reason to replace them at all. Though natural ageing, childbirth & breastfeeding are the largest factors when replacing them for aesthetic reasons, not actually needing it medically.

Ruptured implants cause no further complications, the silicone is in gel form, and travels no further than the scar capsule the body has created on it's own around the implant.
Saline implants rupturing is more upsetting, as you are left with a flat breast as the body takes care of the fluid.

There is a vast difference with the new silicone implants compared with the old ones, which did not have silicone in a gel form, multiple layers & did cause "bleeding" of the silicone.
There are many complications connected with breast augmentations, most surgeons choose to not inform the patient of many of them depending on the surgeons chosen technique.
But the implants themselves are very safe.

And I did shed during a relatively short anesthesia, but I also suspect it was because I was nervous & stressed. The other two times I didn't notice anything drastic.

Sophiatrist
August 5th, 2012, 09:12 AM
I've had major surgery twice in the last year and a half, one was eight hours, the second seven hours. After the first, longer, surgery I didn't notice any hair loss at all. Following the second one though it was big time shedding. I am not sure if it is the anesthesia or the surgery itself that causes hair loss, but I do know that it seems to be sort of random as to when and to whom it happens. It has been six months now since my second surgery and the hair seems to be growing back in.

torrilin
August 5th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Getting wisdom teeth pulled this month :bigeyes: even more scared now!

Most doctors do not do wisdom teeth under a general. They'd be crazy to. A general is basically the drugs turning your body off. When people die due to anaesthetic, it's almost always because turning bodies off is not just like flipping a switch (serious over-simplification but...). Even things like Caesarean sections are usually done under a local anaesthetic.

Wisdom teeth would be done under a local anaesthetic, in the US usually Novocaine. If you talk with the surgeon beforehand, chances are you can also be given a mild sedative like Valium so you can sleep through the procedure and not be disturbed by weird sounds, smells or by trying to force your jaw open enough for them to work. When I had mine done, the doctor did this because I was nervous about the procedure and I tend to stress out easily. A patient who is stressed does not heal as well as one who is calm.

If cavities really freak you out or stress you, there are dentists who would even do a mild sedative for that.

I had a general last week because I needed to have a lump removed from my hand. Hands are delicate and fragile, and even a tiny twitch during surgery can destroy huge amounts of function, or cause you to lose the use of the hand entirely. That is why I couldn't have a local. And believe me, I asked! My surgeon was happy to explain why he needed the general, and what the possible results of a local would be. Most doctors will talk about the risks and benefits of treatments if you ask. (and as you can probably tell from this wall 'o text, the surgery went quite well)

If I end up shedding, no big deal. Leaving the lump in my hand would have eventually meant one or two of the bones in my hand would have atrophied, and there would have been a lot of pain getting there. My hand is way more precious to me than my hair.

misspriss
August 5th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Most doctors do not do wisdom teeth under a general. They'd be crazy to. A general is basically the drugs turning your body off. When people die due to anaesthetic, it's almost always because turning bodies off is not just like flipping a switch (serious over-simplification but...). Even things like Caesarean sections are usually done under a local anaesthetic.

Wisdom teeth would be done under a local anaesthetic, in the US usually Novocaine. If you talk with the surgeon beforehand, chances are you can also be given a mild sedative like Valium so you can sleep through the procedure and not be disturbed by weird sounds, smells or by trying to force your jaw open enough for them to work. When I had mine done, the doctor did this because I was nervous about the procedure and I tend to stress out easily. A patient who is stressed does not heal as well as one who is calm.

If cavities really freak you out or stress you, there are dentists who would even do a mild sedative for that.

I had a general last week because I needed to have a lump removed from my hand. Hands are delicate and fragile, and even a tiny twitch during surgery can destroy huge amounts of function, or cause you to lose the use of the hand entirely. That is why I couldn't have a local. And believe me, I asked! My surgeon was happy to explain why he needed the general, and what the possible results of a local would be. Most doctors will talk about the risks and benefits of treatments if you ask. (and as you can probably tell from this wall 'o text, the surgery went quite well)

If I end up shedding, no big deal. Leaving the lump in my hand would have eventually meant one or two of the bones in my hand would have atrophied, and there would have been a lot of pain getting there. My hand is way more precious to me than my hair.

It depends on the surgery and whether your wisdom teeth have come out or not. I had mine out when they were not even close to coming out, and mine were done under general anesthesia. Though, I also had some surgery on another tooth, but they didn't know I would need that until they already had me cut open. I was 15. IT WAS AWFUL. The recovery was terrible. After the surgery, I started having panic attacks at the dentist, I think it is related.

Due to the panic, I had to have my cavities filled with sedation (conscious sedation) in addition to Novocaine and gas. I felt no pain and remembered nothing, it was great. I don't remember that day, but I remember nothing bad about it either. They gave me larger doses of Xanax, one at home and one at the surgery, and I drifted off into a comfortable sleep.

I would see if you could get yours done with conscious sedation, using sedatives, instead of general anesthesia, the recovery is much better.

It also depends on if you are having it done by a dentist or an oral surgeon. I had to go to an oral surgeon, it is surgery, they use general anesthesia. If you have a dentist do it, it is dental work, and they use local anesthesia. So it isn't one-size-fits-all, they do use general anesthesia for wisdom teeth if they need to, just not all the time.

ETA: On the topic, I don't remember a shed, just long-term panic issues, but it was a while ago so I'm not sure!

lau_g
August 5th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Happened to me 6 years ago ,3 months after a general anesthesia.I was freaking out,i thought it was because of the henna i just used:)) only after a few months i discovered the real reason.My hair didn;t grew back completely,it's kinda sparse:( maybe if I used some hair vitamins,but I only used Minoxidil and some vichy treatments.for 2 months or so..I don't understand why It doesn't grow back:(.i'm using vichy now and some herbal hair lotion and vitamins.:confused:

mallorykay13
August 5th, 2012, 02:54 PM

I too am getting my wisdom teeth taken out as well, however I WILL be going under general. All four of them are impacted and they will have to cut through the gums to remove them.

misspriss
August 5th, 2012, 03:07 PM
I too am getting my wisdom teeth taken out as well, however I WILL be going under general. All four of them are impacted and they will have to cut through the gums to remove them.

That was my situation and they put me under general. I think it would have been fine with a heavy dose of benzodiazapines, novacaine, and nitrous oxide, but that is just my experience.

mallorykay13
August 5th, 2012, 03:08 PM
That was my situation and they put me under general. I think it would have been fine with a heavy dose of benzodiazapines, novacaine, and nitrous oxide, but that is just my experience.

I'd rather just be put out... I've had quite a bit of surgery in my life...

misspriss
August 5th, 2012, 03:24 PM
I'd rather just be put out... I've had quite a bit of surgery in my life...

Ah yeah, the oral surgery was my only surgery. It made me suffer from panic attacks later on related to my teeth, whereas I've felt nothing but better and better with teeth stuff going to the sedation dentist (I now do not require sedation, only gas and local). General anesthesia shuts your body down, while benzodiazapines reduce anxiety...makes sense why my body freaked out after one but is fine with the other!

mallorykay13
August 5th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Ah yeah, the oral surgery was my only surgery. It made me suffer from panic attacks later on related to my teeth, whereas I've felt nothing but better and better with teeth stuff going to the sedation dentist (I now do not require sedation, only gas and local). General anesthesia shuts your body down, while benzodiazapines reduce anxiety...makes sense why my body freaked out after one but is fine with the other!

I've never had a problem with general. I have had it at least 6 times off the top of my head... Which doesn't include all the surgery I've had with just local or whatever.

misspriss
August 5th, 2012, 03:44 PM
I guess it's just me. I was just saying if I had the chance to do it again, I would do it it differently. I wasn't saying that it didn't work for you, I guess you just take anethetics better than some people. I'm so happy it worked well for you in the past, by all means, do it the same way in the future. I wasn't trying to say you have to do something different, I was just sharing my experience that it worked better for me. Again, I am so glad you had such a good experience, I didn't. I assume there are people on this board who have never had it, and might appreciate the varying opinions. Do what you plan to do already, it seems like you will be very happy with it.

mallorykay13
August 5th, 2012, 03:47 PM
I guess it's just me. I was just saying if I had the chance to do it again, I would do it it differently. I wasn't saying that it didn't work for you, I guess you just take anethetics better than some people. I'm so happy it worked well for you in the past, by all means, do it the same way in the future. I wasn't trying to say you have to do something different, I was just sharing my experience that it worked better for me. Again, I am so glad you had such a good experience, I didn't. I assume there are people on this board who have never had it, and might appreciate the varying opinions. Do what you plan to do already, it seems like you will be very happy with it.

I was by no means downplaying how scary/risky general anesthesia can be. I am simply saying that I have had it quite a few times, and most of those times were when I was very young, so I have never been able to really gain that anxiety. My ex-boyfriend had his first surgery when I was with him and was very very nervous about it, so I can understand from a second hand perspective. I know that not going under general is also better on the body, but it's what I am used to and comfortable with.

kitten1986
August 5th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Its not the anaesthetic agents that make your hair fall out. It is the surgical insult to your body that causes it. When you have surgery, large amounts of tissue are being damaged and it takes a lot of your bodies resources to repair post-op. Your protein and nutrients are suddenly taken away from the less important functions of growing (such as hair) and you can have an episode of telogen effluvium anywhere from weeks to months after your surgery.
Its completely natural and I wouldn't panic, it doesn't mean you have had a 'reaction' to the drugs. Your hair will grow back in time, you should just eat a healthy balanced diet to give your body all of the building blocks it needs to recover.

There are risks with any surgery and part of those risks are the anaesthetic risks, only your surgeon and anaesthetist have the right training to determine what type of anaesthetic is appropriate for you and the procedure you are having.

Ann Marie
August 6th, 2012, 06:42 AM
Happened to me 6 years ago ,3 months after a general anesthesia.I was freaking out,i thought it was because of the henna i just used:)) only after a few months i discovered the real reason.My hair didn;t grew back completely,it's kinda sparse:( maybe if I used some hair vitamins,but I only used Minoxidil and some vichy treatments.for 2 months or so..I don't understand why It doesn't grow back:(.i'm using vichy now and some herbal hair lotion and vitamins.:confused:

I don't know what county you are in...but if you are near a Sally's Beauty supply...there are some serums that work...

I had 2 big sheds and used these ( I have ordered more online) They also ship to Canada...

One is a shampoo like Nioxin...and one is a serum with a little dropper...The first shed was from too much chlorine in a pool...I burned my eyes opening them underwater also..The second was a serious pneumonia with a high fever...I was sick for 4 weeks...

One to 2 months after whatever trauma....I could just pull out GOBS of hair...like now...

I was stressed before the surgery...(Highly)....

I did notice that during the beginning of the first 2 treatments...my shedding stopped within about 5 days...

Look under hair treatments...and thinning hair...on the website..after about 2 months...I went back to my regular shampoos....

Also...keep the scalp free of gunk so it can "breath"

I am in a hurry now...but if you can get to a Sally's I will post exactly what I used and am going to use later...:D

Ann Marie
August 6th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Its not the anaesthetic agents that make your hair fall out. It is the surgical insult to your body that causes it. When you have surgery, large amounts of tissue are being damaged and it takes a lot of your bodies resources to repair post-op. Your protein and nutrients are suddenly taken away from the less important functions of growing (such as hair) and you can have an episode of telogen effluvium anywhere from weeks to months after your surgery.
Its completely natural and I wouldn't panic, it doesn't mean you have had a 'reaction' to the drugs. Your hair will grow back in time, you should just eat a healthy balanced diet to give your body all of the building blocks it needs to recover.

There are risks with any surgery and part of those risks are the anaesthetic risks, only your surgeon and anaesthetist have the right training to determine what type of anaesthetic is appropriate for you and the procedure you are having.

This makes sense....
I had a big shed like this after a very high pronged fever...

Ann Marie
August 8th, 2012, 06:31 AM

I would say that I was having panic attacks before my surgery...the whole thought of not waking up and not being in control freaked me out....

I am wondering if this is some of the cause...I was pretty freaked out...I was shaking...I wouldn't even look around the OR...those huge lights freaked me out!

Normally I would be very curious...

Ann Marie
August 8th, 2012, 06:34 AM

I was going to say...the Nutri OX line at Sally's works well for "situational" shedding...:)

It may be timing...but it seems to stop sudden heavy shed within 3-4 days of using....and I usually treat with the serum for about 2 months then go to my reg system...shampoo condish coconut oil on ends...

My shed is slowing a bit....but I still have to constantly pick up hairs off my keyboard at work...my trash can is full of hairs by the end of the day....:rolleyes:

gthlvrmx
September 18th, 2012, 12:46 PM
ack im getting surgery soon and im almost done with my antibiotics that i need before the surgery, but it already made my hair shed. im probably gonna have a 'i' thickness after surgery with the next hair shed, most likely i will lose more hair. :'(
im tired of losing hair, its so FRUSTRATING. you do all you can and then something pops up and makes you lose more hair :(
and it just got a little thicker too...then bam...shed.

i wanna say "shed happens" but i think im to early in with the shedding to say it, im still upset about it. most likely ill have another shed after surgery. 2-3 years with big sheds wow. tired of it.

im getting a cyst removed, do they use an anesthetic as well for this? does anyone know? maybe i should call my doctor.