PDA

View Full Version : My hair loves the pool and dry heat (pics)

Inozz
August 4th, 2012, 08:08 AM
I've lived in the humid south for the last 4 years while I've grown my hair out. My hair always feels sticky and dirty here. Just a few weeks ago I returned to Phoenix where I was born and lived for 20+ years. I swam and didn't do anything special for my hair while there yet my hair looked amazing. The dry heat helped it dry quickly which I think was the key. I had waves come out in the back that I've never seen before. Then I return home and my hair looks stringy and awful again. There's really not much I could do here except heat dry to get the same results or move back to the desert.

Post pool hair with Costco shampoo and conditioner.
Look at that wave underneath
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-K8V0sHHmSbk/UABIuG2yBLI/AAAAAAAAEjg/5UgtgOjG0to/s800/2012-07-12_01-52-09_424.jpg

So silky smooth and fluffy
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-OGZ7NDOjvVo/UABJDLey74I/AAAAAAAAEjw/Ly5MyEmHOUk/s800/2012-07-12_01-52-57_887.jpg

And the sticky, oily goodness I have again
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-eWHjjYPAvOo/T-n-Fx9utgI/AAAAAAAAEgY/zJ50VNe9krE/s800/2012-06-26_13-49-43_65.jpg

Curly Crone
August 4th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Is there a difference in the water? Soft and or Hard water can make a huge difference. Maybe you could just dry your scalp area, that's where the difference is noticible. By the way, you have very pretty hair and I really like the deep V shape.

Inozz
August 4th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Right after I posted this I though about the water difference. That could be it. I'm renting so I'm not going to be able to change the water here. Maybe I can find a way to test this theory. Washing hair with bottled water maybe?

and thank you. The deep V is a result of a razor cut years ago.

Curly Crone
August 4th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Where I live the water is super soft and everything has to be rinsed, rinsed and rinsed again. I also use very little shampoo. Are you located close to the coast? We get so much rain here and our water comes directly from the river. It's also always humid here but we don't get a lot of the heat you do. I really hate the humidity because nothing dries fast.

Inozz
August 5th, 2012, 12:49 PM
I'm near Atlanta. It's super sticky and humid right now with rain passing through this last week. I tried blow drying my roots a bit on the lowest heat setting and it still looks awful and hasn't fully dried hours later. Would a vinegar rinse after conditioning help?

henné
August 5th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Water in ATL is nasty. As in - it's pretty much chlorine with some water in it - ew. I bought some de-chlorinating shower-head filter (and a new shower-head along with it) because otherwise my hair would be eternally gross. Mos def. Btw, your hair is gorgeous.

Inozz
August 6th, 2012, 09:04 AM
I've thought about getting a filtered shower head. I'm going to have to look into that again. Thanks.

amanda_the_tall
August 6th, 2012, 09:55 AM
i live in south carolina, so the icky humidity is always messing with my hair too. especially today, since i didn't get to rinse my hair properly, and there is still some conditioner in it. ugh, my hair looks gross D:

jacqueline101
August 6th, 2012, 11:21 AM
My hair loves the humidity also and grows a lot.