PDA

View Full Version : Hard water and curly hair

Sookie
August 4th, 2012, 07:54 AM
As mentioned in the CG hard water is really bad when combined with sulfates.
But is it still damaging and does it causes built up even when you don't shampoo with sls? Do you use any ACV?

spirals
August 5th, 2012, 10:13 PM
I have hard water. The CG method never worked for me, but when I was using shampoo, I looked for ammonium lauryl sulfate, as I heard it was gentler than SLS. It seemed to be. Now that I'm using soap I do a citric acid rinse or rinse-out conditioner that I have acidified. It's making my curls tighter. I don't remember how soft water affected it, as that was 9 years ago. I was also just discovering my curls at that time and trying to figure out my hair, shortly before I moved to a hard-water apartment.

CurlyCap
August 5th, 2012, 10:36 PM
I used ACV for hard water. I know it's not a a chelator and most suggest citric acid instead, but i have much better results with ACV.

I co-wash every night, and so I think that even though ACV is gentle/weak, it's done often enough that it gets the job done.

And yes, CG method here. I ACV rinse right before getting out so the ACV rinse technically stays in my hair. Then leave-in goes in over that.

For me, it was important to find a way to fight the hardwater because it was chaging the coils of my hair and making my strands more brittle. It took about 2 weeks for ACV to reverse the hard water effects, but I've been fine ever since.

gthlvrmx
August 5th, 2012, 11:36 PM
I just got a filter and fixed that hard water problem, i spent my whole life in hard water and my whole life using only shampoo. Its no wonder i lost my curls after i started using gel and hairspray for band and jrotc, and the ponytail everyday caused a mess.

Mineral builds up on your hair even without sls, i think its harder to wash out. Club soda rinses help, all that fizzing on your hair is the reaction with the minerals. But dont do it too often i think. I wouldnt. Some swimmer use club soda on their hair so that the chlorine doesnt bleach their hair. Whenever i use a club soda rinse, it leaves my hair feeling lighter (well whenever i have build up of mineral) because it takes away most of the minerals stuck on it. Certainly feels better.

gthlvrmx
August 5th, 2012, 11:38 PM
woops extra post.

Sookie
August 6th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Since it is impossible for me to use a water filter, although it's the best idea, i guess i have to find out other methods.

silverthread
August 6th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Since it is impossible for me to use a water filter, although it's the best idea, i guess i have to find out other methods.

Hey, Sookie: I have very hard water as well. If you have a Sally's nearby, you can stop in and pick up a packet of crystal clarifying treatment. It removes minerals. My hair sprang back to life after I used it. Make sure to follow with shampoo and conditioner.

ETA: Forgot...the brand is Ion.

jeanniet
August 6th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Opposite of CurlyCap, ACV doesn't do the job for me, but citric acid rinses do work beautifully (two years now). I use 1/4 teaspoon in a gallon of water as a final rinse with every wash. Since you probably have mineral buildup, a chelating shampoo (or the Ion packet) first would probably help best, then continue with rinses (citric acid or ACV, whichever works for you) thereafter.

I can't say how damaging hard water is per se, but it definitely causes increased buildup and doesn't work well with many products. I still have challenges finding products that will do a good job, but I don't get the buildup anymore.