PDA

View Full Version : Sucanat instead of brown sugar

silverthread
August 4th, 2012, 04:14 AM
Thinking of making a scrub that calls for brown sugar, olive oil, and an EO, but I'd like to use Sucanat instead of brown sugar. Has anyone else tried it? Anyone have an opinion on whether it's a bad idea or good idea?

Falcore
August 4th, 2012, 07:10 AM
I had to look it up what it was. It's organic raw sugar, yes?

I think that would be absolutely fine to use so long as it has a grainy texture so it can scrub your scalp.

I love brown sugar scrubs. I have used them a couple of times when I get a little dandruff on my front hair line. Cleans it off completely!

raingirl
August 4th, 2012, 09:18 AM
I can't remember if sucanat is crystallized or not. It's the sugar crystals in the brown sugar that scrub, and I'm thinking sucanat is more just dried ground up sugar cain juice I think and it might dissolve in the olive oil and not scrub properly.

If I was just using it on my body as a scrub, I would get brown sugar from a bulk store cheap. I would save the sucanat (since it's expensive) for ingestion. But that's just me. :)

silverthread
August 4th, 2012, 09:34 AM
I had to look it up what it was. It's organic raw sugar, yes?

I think that would be absolutely fine to use so long as it has a grainy texture so it can scrub your scalp.

I love brown sugar scrubs. I have used them a couple of times when I get a little dandruff on my front hair line. Cleans it off completely!

First of all, I absolutely LOVE Falcore! Neverending Story is one of my all-time faves.

Sucanat is very grainy, so it should work well as a scrub. The only thing I'm worried about at this point is putting oil on my scalp. Every time I do, I shed a lot of hair.

silverthread
August 4th, 2012, 09:36 AM
I can't remember if sucanat is crystallized or not. It's the sugar crystals in the brown sugar that scrub, and I'm thinking sucanat is more just dried ground up sugar cain juice I think and it might dissolve in the olive oil and not scrub properly.

If I was just using it on my body as a scrub, I would get brown sugar from a bulk store cheap. I would save the sucanat (since it's expensive) for ingestion. But that's just me. :)

I think I'll mix up a batch to see if it dissolves, before I apply it to my scalp. In the meantime, my next concern is whether using olive oil on my scalp will cause my hair to shed a lot. Have you tried it?

Falcore
August 10th, 2012, 11:45 PM
My old time fave as well :)

How did you go with the sucanat? If you're worried about shedding with the olive oil maybe mixing it with conditioner? I'm guessing it'd help it lubricate the scalp much like the olive oil would for the scrub to work.